township, which became a separate township in November, 1849, was named
after the distinguished general William J. Worth, who died that year. A
land company owned a large portion of this township and was active in
promoting its settlement. Five brothers named Henderson were the first
to locate here, selecting their lands in 1795 and returning to occupy
them about two years later. The Henderson settlement in the north edge
of the township in time grew to a village. A postoffice of that name
was established in March, 1827, with Robert Henderson as first
postmaster, and the office was conducted by someone of that name the
greater part of its existence. Henderson postoffice was
discontinued several years ago and its mail supplied by rural
Another pioneer family were the
Perrines, after whom the settlement on the Franklin road west of
Henderson was called Perrine’s Corners. William Perrine located there
about the beginning of the century, and the family have been
represented in this and in Sandy Lake township since that date. Perrine
was established as a postoffice in February, 1833, William H. Perrine
being the first postmaster, and other members of the family holding the
official honor for many years.
Both of the above settlements were on the old post road from Mercer
to Franklin. In the southern part of the township, on the banks of Wolf
Creek, another settlement was formed about the close of the eighteenth
century. A sawmill built by Nathaniel Coleman seems to have been the
starting point. Later John F. Hogue and brothers laid out a town
here, called Millbrook, and various industries, including a carding
mill, and stores combined to give the aspect of a village to this
locality. A postoffice was established at Millbrook in March, 1872,
with Calvin Matthews as first postmaster, and was discontinued
three or four years ago. The first teacher of the village school at
Millbrook was J. G. White of Mercer. One of the early Methodist
churches of the county was also organized in this vicinity, about 1816.
The Wesleyan Methodists and the Cumberland Presbyterians also
established churches in the township during the thirties and forties.
Worth township has produced many able and worthy citizens of other
localities who reflect honor on their place of birth.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 156 - 157
|Worth Twp. Cemeteries
|Worth Twp. Census Records
|Worth Twp. Towns & Villages
|Transformation of Worth Twp.
|Formed in 1849
|From Sandy Lake Twp.