township, created in its present form in 1849, from the north
half of Springfield township, was named after John Findley, who settled
in this township in 1796 and died on his farm December 9, 1855. He was
the first recorder and prothonotary of the county, later served again
in the same positions, was an associate judge, and was often employed
as a surveyor.
The Junkin family, related by
marriage to John Findley, were among the early settlers and founded the
place called Hope Mills, else where mentioned. Henry Hosack established
the large family of that name in this township about 1800. The land
about the mining community of Pardoe was settled by Christian Truxell
Mercer borough has always been the principal commercial
center for Findley township, and the history of the township naturally
revolves about that point. The township’s interests have been
diversified. In the early years the mills along the Neshannock and on
Mill creek, the high ways which cross the township connecting the
county seat with Pittsburg, Butler and other centers, the events at the
county seat, gave variety to the life of the rural residents, while in
later years the railroads, the mining development, have added new
features to the activities of the township.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 158
|Findley Twp. Cemeteries
|Findley Twp. Census Records
|Findley Twp. Towns & Villages
Mercer Citizens Cemetery
|Transformation of Findley Twp.
|Formed in 1849
|From Springfield Twp.