township, created in 1805, from the east half of Pymatuning, was
reduced to its present area in April, 1850, when Jefferson township was
formed. John Clark, James K. Marshall, John Ralston are mentioned among
the first settlers of the township, coming about the beginning of the
century. The Kamerer family of this township have also been identified
with it since pioneer times.
Delaware Grove [is] one of the
old villages of this township. Fredonia is located in part in this
township, and Kremis station on the Bessemer Railroad is also in the
township. The postoffice at Kremis was established September, 1880,
with George W. Hecker as postmaster. Charles Hecker organized the
Kremis Milling Company about 1883 and was largely concerned in
promoting the welfare of the little village.
of New Hamburg has figured in the life history of many citizens of
Mercer county. It is now a country place without even a postoffice,
which was discontinued about a year ago. But at one time it was the
commercial center of a considerable population, and its situation on
the canal favored its growth and prosperity even to the point of
rivaling some of the larger and older towns. Samuel Williamson was a
settler at this place about 1820, and in 1838 Peter Beil laid out the
village. This was during the building of the canal. Peter Beil, George
Kamerer and Eli George were proprietors of the first store in 1840.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, pages 170-171
|Delaware Township Cemeteries
|Delaware Twp. Churches
|Delaware Twp. Towns & Villages
Delaware Grove Cemetery
St. Johns Cemetery
|St. Johns Church
Salem Presbyterian Church (formerly Upper Salem Presbyterina)
New Hamburg Presbyterian Church
St. Marks Church
Methodist Church, New Hamburg
Union Church, Delaware Grove
|Transformation of Delaware Twp.
|Formed in 1805
from Pymatuning Twp.
Twp. Census Records