1801, Cool Spring was the name chosen to designate the
quarter of Mercer county. In 1802 this name was applied to what is now
the east central portion of the county. In 1805 the township was
restricted to about the area now comprised in Cool Spring, Jackson,
Fairview and Lake townships. In 1850 this area was divided into the
four townships as they now stand, Cool Spring being the southwest
quarter of the former township of that name.
was the first settler in Cool Spring, in 1796. Other pioneers were
Joseph and William Alexander, Aaron Hackney, Robert and Joseph
McDonald, the Johnston family, Hugh McKean, William McMillan, the
McEwens, and that notable pioneer preacher, Samuel Tait. Many of the
associations dearest to the people revolve about the early Presbyterian
churches of this township.
As Cool Spring township adjoins the
borough of Mercer, the residents of the township from the early years
have made this borough their principal trading point. William North, an
Englishman, who settled in the northeast corner of the
about 1822, gave the name to the community which has been known as
North’s Mills. A postoffice was established there in May, 1858, and
discontinued several years ago when rural delivery became general.
Otter Creek became a postoffice in 1872, but has also been
discontinued. Cool Spring station, a flag station on the railroad,
marks this settlement.
Cool Spring township has come into
prominence in recent years because of its oil wells. Otherwise it has
for more than a century been rural community made up largely of
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, pages 153-154
|Transformation of Coolspring Twp.
|Formed in 1801
Split to create 3 additional townships: