WILLIAM B. ALBURGER, P.O. Andalusia, was born in Philadelphia October 10, 1818, and is a son of Philip and Elizabeth (St. Clair) Alburger, natives of Philadelphia, the former of German and the latter of English descent. Philip Alburger was a farmer residing in Lower Dublin township (now 23d ward, Philadelphia), and was a soldier in the war of 1812. His family consisted of four sons and one daughter, of whom William B. is the oldest. He was reared in Philadelphia and received his education in the city of Alexandria. He came to Bucks county in 1844 and followed the occupation of a farmer. He purchased a hotel and farm in the upper part of Bensalem township where he resided until 1863, when he removed to Andalusia and has resided there ever since. He was commissioned by Governor Bigler June 22, 1854, major of the First regiment, first brigade, second division of the uniformed militia composed of the counties of Bucks, Montgomery, and Delaware, and on the 6th of June, 1858, was appointed aid to Governor Packer with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He is surveyor and appraiser of the Line-Lexington Insurance Company. In politics he is a Jeffersonian democrat. He served two terms as postmaster in the legislature and one term as door-keeper in the state senate, and ten years as assessor of the township. He was married in 1842 to Mary Louisa, daughter of Edward and Sarah A. (Willett) Parry. Her grandfather was General Augustin Willett, who served in the revolution. Their children are Eliza N. and Emma Virginia. General Willett was born in Bucks county in 1751, and was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Lawrence) Willett, of English descent. He married Elizabeth Hicks, daughter of Gilbert and Mary (Rodman) Hicks, of Attleborough (now Langhorne). At the outbreak of the war he raised a company at his own expense in the lower end of Bucks county. He was with Arnold’s division in that terrible march to Quebec in the winter of 1775. From captain he rose to the command of a regiment as lieutenant-colonel, and was a faithful and efficient officer. He was in the battles of White Plains, Monmouth, Trenton, Brandywine and Germantown, and was commissioned brigadier-general in the peace establishment. He was a man of tall stature. He had a favorite colored servant named Priam, who was with his master in the army and accompanied him in all his goings, always on horseback. He belonged to the Bristol Masonic Lodge, organized March 15, 1780. He was one of the men of the age that tried men’s souls and did his state good service in his day and generation. He died in the year 1824, honored and respected by all who knew him. Elizabeth, his wife, was born in 1755 and died May 24, 1833. They had eight daughters and two sons, viz: Mary, Elizabeth, Abigail, Horatio G., Joseph R., Sarah A., Margaret, Euphemia, Grace, and Lydia. The Willett homestead stood along the Valley run not far beyond the Neshaminy creek, at Oakford, on the road leading from Langhorne, in the township of Bensalem. The plantation at the time of his death was divided into farms for his children. All have now passed into the hands of strangers except one farm of 100 acres where the buildings stand. His descendants still live there. His great-grandson and namesake is now serving as a member of the state legislature.

EDWARD BILGER. farmer and stock-grower, P.O. Oakford, was born in Doylestown, Pa., December 28, 1825. His parents were George and Mary (Weaver) Bilger, who were of German origin. The father was a baker by trade, and also was a hotel-keeper, but died before the birth of Edward. The latter was placed in the county house, where he remained until he was taken and reared by a farmer in Warwick township. He worked for the latter until he reached his majority, attending the common schools during the winter season. He was then given his liberty, and for three years subsequently worked at farming by the day. He then rented a farm, and finally bought 60 acres of land. He has added to this land until he now owns 186 acres, which he has enriched and brought to a high state of cultivation. He was married on March 1, 1851, to Ann Eliza, daughter of Abraham and Ann Larue. Her parents are of English descent. They have had two children: Charles W. and Augustus, both of whom are farmers. The latter is at home, and has two children: Anna Bell and Frank R. His wife’s name is Emma. Both sons were educated in Bensalem, and are energetic and industrious young men. Mrs. Bilger died in 1879, and on September 1, 1880, Mr. Bilger married Margaret, a daughter of Eli Hibbs, who was at this time the widow of William Hulme. She had one child by her first marriage, George W. Hulme. Her parents were of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Bilger are members of the M.E. church, of which he has been trustee, and superintendent of the Sabbath school. Politically, he is a republican. Charles W. Bilger. the eldest son by the first marriage, was born in Bensalem township December 27, 1851, and in 1879 married Margaret, a daughter of Asa Smith, who is of English origin. They have four children, Mary, Edward, Charles, and Forrest. He and his wife are members of the M. E. church. He is also a member of the I.O.O.F. He owns 108 acres of land.

ENOS W. BOUTCHER, lumber-dealer and farmer, at Cornwall station, N.Y. Division P.R.R., Maud P.O., was born in Bensalem township in 1817. He is a son of Benjamin and Ellen (Vandegrift) Boutcher, natives of Bucks county, and of English and Dutch origin. His father was a wheelwright and coachmaker. His paternal and maternal ancestors were among the early settlers of Bensalem. His parents reared seven children, four of whom are now living, two daughters and two sons. Enos W. is the oldest son living at the present time. He was brought up in the township of Bensalem, and very naturally learned the trade of his father, but before he had completed his apprenticeship his father died. This was in 1835. After the death of his father he completed his trade, and worked at the business for a period of six years. He then bought a farm, which he has managed with success. He is the owner of a farm at Cornwall station, and has sold many lots for building purposes. He has also dealt largely in lumber and coal since 1873. He was married to Eleanor, daughter of William B. and Christiana Vandegrift. This union has been blessed with four children: Frank, who died in the year 1884; Susannah, widow of George I. Duncan, deceased; Sarah, wife of T.B. Simons; and Adaline, at home. Mrs. Boutcher is a member of the Presbyterian church. In politics Mr. Boutcher is a democrat. He has held the office of constable and supervisor, was a school-director for nine years, and served three terms as assessor, and four as collector for Bensalem. He takes an active interest in the schools, and has held various offices in school boards.

GEORGE E. BROOK, retired merchant, P.O. Maud. This enterprising and successful merchant is now living a retired life on his beautiful farm in Bensalem township, in the village of Cornwall. He was born in Philadelphia, where he was educated and grew to manhood. His father was John Brock, and was a man of means. George E. was a salesman in a store in Philadelphia in his early life, and very naturally embarked in the mercantile trade, and made it his permanent business. He carried on the wholesale grocery business in Philadelphia until he bought a farm, consisting of 200 acres of’ land, in Warwick township. This farm he sold, and bought a smaller one, which he has greatly improved. He has lived in this county since 1857. In politics he is a republican.

WILLIAM CATREAL, farmer and stock-grower, P.O. Andalusia, was born in Kirkby county, England, November 12, 1835. His parents, Edward and Alice (Cropper) Catreal, were natives of England. The father was a farmer by occupation and his family consisted of 13 children, seven of whom grew to maturity. William was the second in the family, and was reared on the farm, receiving his education in the schools of his native country, and chose agricultural pursuits as his occupation. He came from England to America in July, 1856. He worked in New Jersey for a time, and in l858 came to Andalusia, where he worked for Dr. King 20 years. In 1877 he bought his present farm, and has made farming and gardening his business since. He has made his own way in the world, and owns forty-five and three-quarters acres on the Bristol pike, twelve miles from Philadelphia. He was married in 1876 to Sarah G., daughter of Dr. George Glintworth. Her mother’s maiden name was Jeanette Galbreath. The farm owned by Mr. Catreal since 1877 was in the possession of the Galbreath family for over 60 years. Mr. and Mrs. Catreal have had one child, William, who died at the age of 11 years. Mrs. Catreal died in 1886. She was a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Catreal is a member of the Episcopal church, and in politics is a republican.

GEORGE DANIELS, Sen., farmer and stock-grower, P.O. Eddington, was born in Philadelphia July 29, 1820. his parents, Henry and Rachel Daniels, were natives of Pennsylvania and of German origin. The father was a carpenter during his life and had a family of four children, George being the oldest and the only one now living. He was put out when he was 11 years old, went to New Jersey, and came to Bensalem when he was 16 years old. He attended common school in Philadelphia, chose farming as his occupation, and has made it his business for 26 years; he lived on the Beakley farm for nine years, and on the farm of Dr. Schenck 11 years. At present he is on the farm owned by the Misses Drexel, who are building the large Catholic orphan school at Andalusia. He was married in Philadelphia in 1844 to Mary Ann, daughter of John Yates. She is of German origin. To this union eight children have been born, seven of whom are now living: John Y., William S., George, Harry, Sarah, May, Theodore A., and Linford (deceased). He is a democrat in politics, and has been school director for 11 years. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Odd-Fellows and Red Men. Mrs. Daniels is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

JOHN Y. DANIELS, farmer and agent for agricultural implements, P.O. Maud, was born in Frankford, Philadelphia county, October 12, 145. His parents were George and Mary Ann (Yates) Daniels, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German and English descent. His father is a farmer and now resides on the Drexel farm, in Bensalem township. His family consisted of six sons and two daughters. John Y. was the oldest and was reared on the farm, received his education in the Doylestown public schools, and has made farming his business. He was married April 6, 1876, to Alice, daughter of Bernard Strickler. This union has been blessed with four children: Meta, Bernard, Charles, and George. He is a democrat in politics, and served two years as supervisor. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias. Mrs. Daniels’ father, Bernard Strickler, deceased, was born in Bucks county October 1, 1804, and died in 1863. He was the son of Joseph and Barbara Strickler, who were among the early settlers of the county. He was reared on the farm, attended the old-fashioned subscription schools, and chose farming as his business, in which be was successful. He was married in 1829 to Susan, daughter of William and Mary (Sipler) McMullin, natives of this county, and of Scotch and German origin. Their children were Alfred and Mary Ann (deceased), Charles, a carpenter, and Alice, wife of John Y. Daniels.

RICHARD DINGEE, physician, P.O. Newportville, is a son of Dr. Obadiah and Hannah (Welch) Dingee. He was born in Byberry, Philadelphia county, January 11, 1829. In 1811 he removed with his parents to Lancaster county, this state, and in 1851 was graduated from Jefferson Medical college. He began the practice of his profession in Mortonville, Chester county. Pa. In 1859 he located at Newportville and engaged in practice there. In 1883 he retired from active practice and purchased the Croyden farm in Bensalem, on which he now resides.

SAMUEL FULTON, farmer, P.O. Oakford, was born at Hulmeville, Bucks county, November 29, 1819, and is a son of John and Mary (Lane) Fulton, the latter a native of New Jersey. His father was born in Ireland, and was a coach blacksmith by trade, at which he worked in Bucks county for many years. His mother lived to the advanced age of 87 years. Samuel was the ninth in a family of 11 children, and was reared in Bucks county, where he attended the common schools. He and his brother Mahlon learned the wheelwright trade. The latter is now manufacturing wagons and carriages in Philadelphia, and is doing an extensive business. Samuel also worked at his trade until 1857, when he commenced farming, and has followed that occupation since. He is the owner of a well-improved farm in Bensalem township, where he resides, and owns other valuable real estate. He is a congenial and agreeable gentleman, upright and honorable in all his dealings. In 1839 he married Harriet Gibson, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Bee) Gibson. Her parents were of French and Irish descent, her father being a soldier in the revolutionary war. This union has been blessed with two children, Elizabeth, the wife of Joseph Vanhorn, a farmer; and Rebecca, wife of Theodore Larue. Mr. and Mrs. Larue have a daughter and son, Dora M. and Samuel F. The daughter married Nelson W. De Saw, and has one child, John Fulton De Saw. Mr. and Mrs. Fulton are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics Mr. Fulton is a democrat.

THOMAS GAFFNEY, farmer, P.O. Bensalem, was born in County Meath, Ireland, in 1822, and is a son of John and Mary (McCoe) Gaffney, natives of Ireland. His father was a farmer in that country, and left Ireland in 1849. He came to America and lived in Bucks county with Thomas until his death. He had five children, all of whom came to America: Joseph, deceased ; Thomas, Michael, residing in Philadelphia; Catharine, deceased; and Mary, wife of William Penley. They were all born in Ireland, and the mother died in the old country. Thomas was the first of the family to come to America. In May, 1844, he bade farewell to his father and friends and took passage on a sailing vessel, landing in Philadelphia after a nine weeks’ voyage. He remained only a few days in Philadelphia, and then came to Bucks county and hired out with Joseph Hellings for one year. He worked out for 13 years, 11 years for one man, and by economy accumulated enough money to buy a firm, which he did in 1857, and moved on the place and has since occupied it. He now owns two good farms, well improved. In 1845 he married Elizabeth Flynn, a native of Ireland, by whom he had six children: Mary, wife of Richard Landis; Maggie, deceased; Elizabeth, Anna, Susan, and Theresa. Mr. and Mrs. Gaffney are members of the Catholic church.

WILLIAM E. HARVEY, farmer, P.O. Eddington, was born in Philadelphia, September 3, 1552. His parents were Josiah L. and Caroline F. (Randolph) Harvey, the latter born in Newfoundland and the former in Philadelphia. They were of English descent. His father was a dealer in real estate in Philadelphia. His family consists of seven sons and one daughter. William E. is the second. He was reared in Philadelphia and attended the common school. He has always liked to be on the farm, which has been owned by his father for over thirty years. The farm is situated in Bensalem township, on the bank of the Delaware river, and is well improved. Our subject has made many valuable improvements and has done much to beautify the grounds. He has spent most of his time here since he left school. He was married in New Jersey to Laura P., daughter of John Henry. She is of English descent, and a member of the Presbyterian church. His parents were members of the Society of Friends. He is a democrat and a member of the masonic fraternity.

FRANCIS W. HEADMAN, farmer, P.O. Bensalem, was born in Philadelphia September 14, 1821, and is a son of Jacob and Susan (Du Camp) Headman, both natives of Philadelphia and of German and French descent. The grandfather, Francis William Headman, and his brother Andrew emigrated from Germany some time between 1766 and 1773. Andrew settled in the upper end of Bucks county, and Francis William settled in Philadelphia. They were both potters by trade. Francis William located on the corner of Eighth and Market streets, and lived and died on Eighth near Market street. Both brothers served in the revolutionary war. Francis William was a sergeant. There is a vest now in independence Hall which was worn by Sergeant Headman at the battle of Germantown, and Francis W. has a flag which he carried in that battle. He carried on his trade in Philadelphia almost all his life. Andrew lived and died in this county. The father of Francis W. Headman was a coachmaker by trade, and with his brother carried on coach-making on the corner of Eleventh and Market streets. He was at one time superintendent of the Germantown railroad. Both parents died in Philadelphia. They had four children: Mary A., wife of Thomas H. Rockwell; Francis W., Henry D., and George F., deceased. Francis W. remained in Philadelphia until 1848. He learned the trade of a machinist with M.W. Baldwin. He was engineer in 1841 and 1842 on the Pennsylvania railroad, and in 1843 run between Springfield, Mass., and Pittsfield. He was a railroad engineer for several years. In 1843 he went to Philadelphia and built all the machinery for Roussel, a manufacturer of mineral water, and was afterward a partner in the firm for four years. In 1849 he went to Savannah, Ga., where he remained until 1861, being engaged in plumbing and gas-fitting. In 1856 he bought the place where he now lives and sent his family to live on the farm, and since 1861 he has resided there. From 1865 to 1867 he represented Bucks county in the legislature. He has held several minor offices in his township. Mr. Headman is one of the prominent men of Bucks county, a man of great influence. He was one of the few democrats who served in the legislature from 1865 to 1867, and his democratic friends presented him with a handsome silver pitcher and tea set. He has also in his possession a certificate and a handsome gold head cane which was presented him by the old soldiers of "1812" in remembrance of the interest he took in the soldiers’ cause while serving in the legislature, by passing a pension bill. He was married in 1842 to Ann Elton, a native of Philadelphia, by whom he has two children: Frank C., in the real estate business; and G.D. Sickel, in the lumber business, both residents of Philadelphia.

BENJAMIN S. HILT, farmer, P.O. Oakford, was born in Philadelphia county, February 18, 1813. He was a son of John and Ann Hilt, descendants of the earliest German families of America. John Hilt, the first of the name in this country, came to America soon after its discovery by Columbus. The family has numbered many merchants and some eminent divines, but they have usually been farmers. Our subject’s grandfather, John Hilt, served under General Washington in the revolutionary war. He was wounded at the battle of Brandywine, but served all through the war and lived to a ripe old age. Our subject’s father was in the war of 1812. His two uncles were in the Mexican war and two brothers in the last war. The family are and for many years have been democrats in politics. Our subject’s father was a farmer. His family consisted of several children, of whom Benjamin S. was the second. He was reared on the farm, attended the common schools, learned the cordwainers or shoemaker’s trade. He worked at his trade eighteen years. His health then failed and he bought a farm to which he has since devoted his time. He was married in 1834 to Ann Sands, who is of English descent. Of their six children only three are living: Mary A., Isaac L., a machinist by trade, and Harriet C., wire of William Lawton. Mr. and Mrs. Hilt are members of the M.E. church. He is steward and class-leader and has been superintendent of the Sunday school. In politics he is a democrat. He is an Odd Fellow and has passed the chairs of the subordinate lodge.

JESSE L. JOHNSON, farmer and stock-grower, P.O. Eddington, was born on the farm where he now resides September 5, 1822. His parents, Clark and Rachel (Grim) Johnson, were natives of Pennsylvania and of Swede and English descent. His father was born in Bucks county. The male members of the family have usually been farmers. Jesse L. Johnson was the second son in a family of four children, and obtained his education in the Eddington school. From his youth up he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he still follows with success. He is the owner of 138 acres of land, of which he is justly proud. He was married in 1858 to Anna P., daughter of Robert Levis, who was a farmer and tanner by occupation. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have had ten children, nine of whom are still living Lizzie, Elmer, Mary, Josephine, Louisa, Clara, John, Jesse, and Anna. Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Episcopal church. Mr. Johnson is a democrat, and in early life was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

CHARLES RAY KING, M.D., physician and farmer, born in New York on the 16th of March, 1813, is the son of John Alsop King and Mary Ray, both of New York. His father, after receiving an education at Harrow, in England, on his return home was admitted to the bar, served in the war of 1812, and then took up his residence in the country, where he lived as a farmer until his death. He was frequently in the legislature of the state, in congress in 1850—51, governor of the state of New York, and a leading republican politician, earnest in advocating the abolition of slavery. John A. was time son of Rufus King and Mary Alsop. Rufus King was born in Maine, a member of the continental congress, and of the convention for forming the constitution of the United States from Massachusetts, and having moved to New York was sent to the United States senate from that state, where he served until appointed by General Washington minister plenipotentiary to England, where he remained until 1803. He was chosen some years after his return to the senate of the United States, his career in that body ending in 1825. During his service there he was earnest, as he had been from his earliest entrance into public life, in his desire and efforts to put an end to slavery, and bore the leading though ineffectual part in endeavoring to prevent the admission of Missouri as a slave state. Dr. King was educated at Columbia college, N.Y., and was graduated in 1834 in medicine from the University of Pennsylvania. After two years spent in pursuing his studies in Paris he engaged in the practice of his profession, first in New York and afterwards in Philadelphia. Having purchased a farm on the banks of the Delaware he removed to it in 1847, and having retired from the practice of medicine engaged actively in farming and interested himself in the affairs of the neighborhood, the advancement and welfare of the Protestant Episcopal church, in which he had been brought up, and in the promotion of the cause of public education, having served as president of the school board in Bensalem for 15 years, in all of which he still continues to exert an unremitting and beneficial influence. He has been twice married. His first wife, Hannah Wharton Fisher, of Philadelphia, died in 1870, leaving him two children, the eldest a daughter, Mary, married to Charles F. Lennig, of Philadelphia, who have three sons, and the other a son, John Alsop King, who married Lillie H. Hamilton, of Philadelphia, and died in 1885, leaving a widow and one daughter. Dr. King’s present wife is Nancy Wharton Fisher, with whom he enjoys the pleasures of a quiet home at Andalusia, on the banks of the Delaware. He has never engaged in public life, though like his ancestors he was ever earnestly opposed to the extension of slavery and an advocate of the principles which characterized the old federal and whig party.

RICHARD LANDERS, farmer, P.O. Oakford, was born in Philadelphia November 10, 1843. He is a son of Richard and Bridget (Quinn) Landers, who were natives of Ireland and came to Philadelphia at an early age; in early life his father engaged in the flour and feed business, but spent most of his life on a farm in Bensalem township, to which he removed in 1848. He followed farming here until his death in 1878 at the age of 76 years. He started in life with no pecuniary advantages, but by good management, industry, and economy succeeded in accumulating a competence. He had seven children, five sons and two daughters. Richard was the fourth son and was reared on the farm in Bensalem township. He attended the common schools, chose farming as a profession, and has met with success. In 1874 he married Mary Gaffney, who is of Irish origin. Their children are: Richard, Thomas, Bessie, Joseph, Mary, and Susie. They are all members of the Catholic church. He is a democrat politically, and has been inspector of elections and assessor of Bensalem township.

CHARLES MCFADDEN, railroad contractor, P.O. Andalusia, owns a summer residence and farm on Bristol pike, in Andalusia, Bensalem township. His father was also a railroad contractor. Charles attended school in Adams county, Pa. His first business was with his father, and he subsequently embarked in the contracting business for himself. He soon became prominent in his business, and at present is one of the leading railroad contractors in the United States. He has taken very large contracts and sometimes has two or three extensive ones under way at once. He has employed as high as 4000 men. He has been very successful in business. He bought the farm at Andalusia in 1875 and his family spend the summer there. He is an active, energetic business man. Socially he is a congenial and pleasant companion.

CHARLES V. MURRAY, farmer and truck-grower, Bensalem P.O. was born in Bensalem township, August 29, 1851. He is a son of Jacob and Olivia (Booz) Murray, both natives of Bucks county and of English descent. His father was a farmer all his life and died in 1882. Charles V. was the only son, of seven children. He was reared on the farm, attended district school and at the age of 17 began to learn the miller’s trade, and served four years. He farmed for four years, when he concluded to get married, which he did May 14, 1876, to Agnes G., daughter of Thomas F. and Lydia (Artman) Woods, and granddaughter of William and Mary Woods. Her parents were of English and Dutch descent. Her father was born in the city of New York, the day his parents landed. He was reared in Philadelphia county, and came to Bucks county after he was married, in 1848, and lived on Miss Sarah Gaibraith’s and T. Wharton Fisher’s places until his death. He died at the age of 51. He was a republican. Mrs. Murray’s grandfather, Artman, was born and reared near Doylestown, and lived to the age of 81 years. Mr. and Mrs. Murray have six children: Edward, Agnes, Bertha, Charles, George, and Robert. He is a democrat in politics and a member of the B.U.H.F. His grandfather John Murray lived to be 95 years old, and his grandfather Samuel Booz lived to the age of 87. They were both farmers.

SAMUEL F. RIDGE, contractor and builder, P.O. Trevose, was born in Bensalem township, October 6, 1819; and is a son of Henry and Mary (Paumly) Ridge, who were natives of this township, members of the Society of Friends and of English descent. The father was a school-teacher. His family consisted of three children, of whom our subject is the youngest. He was reared in Bensalem township and received a common school education. He has been engaged in building and contracting successfully for more than 45 years. He was married in 1845 to Rebecca G., daughter of Samuel and Jemima States, whose parents were of English and French descent. They have four children living: Emma, wife of Linfred Eastburn; Mary E., wife of G.R. Gaddis; Lavinia D., widow of J.L.L. Ramsey; and Ida, wife of B.F. Vansant. Mrs. Ridge is a member of the M.E. church. Mr. Ridge has a birthright in the Friends’ meeting. In politics he is a republican.

BARKLEY L. ROBERTS, farmer, P.O. Andalusia. Prominent among the successful farmers and stock-growers of Bucks county may be mentioned the, name of Barkley L. Roberts, who was born in Philadelphia county (now the 23d ward) February 26, 1825. His parents, Mordecai and Ann (Shallcross) Roberts, were natives of Pennsylvania, and of English and Welsh descent. His ancestors were early settlers of this state. The history of the family shows them to have been mostly engaged in agricultural pursuits, both in Pennsylvania and in Europe. Barkley L. is the fourth in a family of six children; four sons and two daughters. He attended the district school in Wheat Sheaf, in his native county, and wisely chose farming as the business of his life. He bought the valuable farm where he now resides in 1871. It is situated on the Bristol turnpike, 12 1/2 miles from Philadelphia. The house, barn, and out-buildings are first class, and together cost over $10,000; the farm is under a high state of cultivation, is well stocked and managed, and is under the superintendence of Mr. Roberts’ son with the father’s assistance. Our subject was married in 1850 to Elizabeth S., daughter of John and Rebecca (Hawk) Cripps. Her father was a stone mason. Her ancestors were of English descent on one side and German on the other. This union has been blessed with prosperity. Their children are: George W., who is now superintendent of the farm and is married to Sarah J., daughter of Boyd Headley, now a resident of Bristol and among the largest landholders of that township; Mary E., at home; and Anna R., wife of Frank R. Wright, of Emilie, this county. (They have one child.) Mr. Roberts is a republican in politics.

T.B. SIMONS, manufacturer of phosphates, P.O. Maud, was born in Philadelphia March 12, 1842, and is a son of George and Mary (Dungan) Simons. His parents were of German and Welsh descent. His father was a farmer all his life. He reared a family of ten children, the youngest of whom is now 23 years old. Our subject’s grandfather was a farmer and the business of the family has usually been farming. His grandfather lived to be 84 years old and his father lived to be 76. Our subject was reared in Philadelphia county, attended school in Philadelphia, and chose farming as his occupation. He followed that business until 1873, when he embarked in the coal business at Maud station. He also engaged extensively in the manufacture of phosphates. He was married in 1871 to Sarah, daughter of Enos W. and Eleanor (Vandegrift) Boutcher. Their children are: B. Vandegrift, Enos Ray, Franklin A., Charles Russell, John W., Fred, Ralph, Walter G., and Adaline B. Both Mr. and Mrs. Simons are members of the Presbyterian church. He has been Sabbath school superintendent fourteen years. In politics he is a republican.

G.W. SIPLER, merchant, P.O. Bridgewater, was born in Bensalem township April 27, 1822, and is a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Clark) Sipler, natives of Pennsylvania. His father was born in Bensalem, and was a descendant of some of the earliest settlers of Bucks county. The Sipler family came to America about 1682. They were usually farmers, and some of the family were extensive landholders both in Bucks county, Pa., and in Burlington county, N.J. They were a long-lived and thrifty race. Our subject’s mother is living at the age of 89 years. His father died in 1829. George W. Sipler is the second in a family of five children. He was reared in Bensalem township, attended the district school, and followed farming until he reached his majority, when he entered a store in Bridgewater as a salesman. He subsequently became a partner in the business. His partner was not here, so he had the full charge of the store. In 1876 he bought out the business and has conducted it ever since. He has been in this store for 41 years. He was married in 1858 to Mary L. Brindle. This union has been blessed with one child, John W., who is now a clerk in the store. His second wife’s maiden name was Josephine R. Stewart. Mr. and Mrs. Sipler are members of the M.E. church. He has held most of the offices of the church of his choice, such as secretary and recording secretary, steward, and class-leader. In politics he is a republican. He has served as deputy-postmaster and postmaster ever since 1846. Since early life he has been a member of the I.O.O.F.

CHARLES W. TAYLOR, farmer, P.O. Hulmeville, was born in Philadelphia in the earlier half of this century. He is a son of Caleb and Lydia (Williams) Taylor, both of Philadelphia. The pioneer of the Taylor family in America was Thomas Taylor, the son of a London merchant of very considerable estate, who dying when his son was very young left him in charge of his uncle as his guardian. This uncle, coveting the family estate, had his nephew placed on board a Virginia trader and sent him to Virginia. Family tradition says he was kidnapped, not a very unusual circumstance in those days. Young Taylor on his arrival in Virginia found a refuge in the family of a tobacco planter, where he remained for many years, going through pretty much the same experience as that depicted by Hogarth in his "Industrious Apprentice," marrying his employer’s daughter included. By this marriage and by his own exertions he became possessed of a large landed estate and was very prosperous. In the course of time the uncle in London died, and the existence of an heir in Virginia coming out, he was sent for. But this call he did not feel inclined to respond to. His predilections were all in favor of his adopted country. His wife, children, friends, and property were there and he had grown up with the country, while his recollections of his childhood in London were probably anything but pleasant. He, however, collected together such evidence as he thought sufficient to establish his identity, and forwarded it to the administrator of the estate in London, but he would not go himself, which was a fortunate thing for him, as the vessel in which the documents were sent was never heard from. He never could be prevailed upon to try again. His descendants, however, have not regarded the loss of their patrimonial estate with quite such equable feelings, and some generations afterward an effort was made to recover it. In this effort some of General Taylor’s family (ex-president Zachary Taylor), who claim the same descent, participated. The best of counsel was employed. A son of Richard Rush, formerly U.S. minister to England, in Philadelphia, and the U.S. consul in London, had charge of the claim. After a large amount of money had been spent on the lawyers an act of parliament was brought to light which appears to have been drafted with the express purpose of discouraging lawsuits of this kind. This act confirms the title of holders of real estate who have had undisputed possession of the same for a certain number of years. Thomas Taylor, a grandson of the first Thomas, joined the Society of Friends in his youthful days, and when the family estate came to be divided he declined to take any share, either of slaves or of land that must be cultivated by the labor of slaves. His family bought him out, and he left Virginia and settled in York, Pa., then known by the name of Little York, where he died in 1837, aged 84 years. His son, Caleb, went into the drug business in Philadelphia in 1810, when barely 21 years of age, first learning the business with Dr. Isaac Thompson, Second and Market streets. He established himself at 24 N. Front street, on the premises sold after his death, by his administrator, to Stephen Girard, and now a part of the Girard estate. During the following ten years he built up a large and profitable business. Early in August, 1820, he was on a wharf in Boston attending to the landing of an invoice of goods he had imported. At the next pier there was a vessel from South America discharging a cargo of hides that had been damaged by salt water. His friends attributed his death to this as he was taken sick directly after reaching home, and died of yellow fever as his physician said, his case being the only one in the city at the time. He left four children. All are deceased except Charles W., the second son, owner of the Trevose homestead in Bucks county, and Sarah T., wife of Thomas Paul, Esq., of Germantown, Philadelphia. Caleb Taylor, Sen., married in 1814 Lydia Williams, a descendant of the Roger Williams family, who, when driven from Connecticut on account of their religious belief, settled in Shrewsbury, N.J., where many of their descendants are still living. She was also a granddaughter of Grace, a daughter of Charles W. Biles, of Southampton, Bucks county, and granddaughter of Thomas Langhorne, father of Jeremiah Langhorne, of Langhorne Park, Bucks county. Sarah, another granddaughter of Thomas Langhorne, presumably a sister of Grace, married Lawrence Growden the younger, a grandson of Lawrence Growden the elder, who, with his son Joseph, were first purchasers, each of 5000 acres of land in Bucks county, October 24, 1681, known in the early surveys as "Lawrence Growden’s great tract in Bucks county." Hezekiah Williams, the husband of Grace Langhorne Biles, was a prominent member of the Society of Friends, a Philadelphia merchant shipping goods to the West Indies. He became reduced in circumstances in his old age, owing to his faith in the paper money issued by the continental congress. The Williams family mansion was in Arch street, above Second, then about the center of the Quaker population. The fashionable promenade in those days was on the south side of Arch street westward from Front. Stephen Girard was on friendly terms with Hezekiah Williams, both being in the same business (the West India trade), and he would frequently stop and have a chat with the old man, who was then getting to be well on in years. Hezekiah Williams died in 1807, from over-exertion. He was very much interested in the building of the Market street bridge over the Schuylkill, which was going on at the time, and he walked out to see it one afternoon and back, a distance of about four miles, which was too much for a man in his 91st year, and he died shortly afterward. His son, Charles Williams, grandfather of the owner of Trevose, fell a victim to his exertions in nursing the sick during the yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia in 1793. He was taken with the fever and died after a few days’ sickness. His grandson, the present owner of Trevose, was born and educated in Philadelphia, principally at Friends’ Academy, on Fourth street below Chestnut. Soon after coming of age he went into the China and East India trade, making several voyages to Canton and other ports in the East Indies, as supercargo and one of the charterers of the ship in which he sailed. He removed to Trevose, now a farm of 212 acres, in the spring of 1848. Trevose is one of the historic estates of Bucks county. It was a part of the l0,000 acre tract purchased of William Penn in 1681 by Lawrence Growden, the elder, and his son, Joseph. In 1707 Lawrence Growden, the elder, deeded to his grandson, Lawrence Growden, the younger, all his undivided half of the 10,000 acre tract. The consideration was the sum of five shillings in cash and a rent of one peppercorn, "to be paid when lawfully demanded." Lawrence Growden, the younger, had two children: Elizabeth, who married Thomas Nickelson, of Philadelphia, and Grace, who married Joseph Galloway. When their father’s estate came to be divided in 1774, the portion allotted to Grace Galloway consisted of the three tracts called Trevose, Belmont, and Richelieu, in Bensalem township, containing together 1,425 acres, and the four tracts in Durham township, containing the iron mines, furnaces, etc. These together formed the estate that was sold by the Burton family, grandchildren of Joseph Galloway and great-grandchildren of Lawrence Growden, the younger, in 1847. There is no known record of the date of the erection of the Trevose mansion house, but from the casual mention made of it by travellers and others at the time, it is believed to have been built about the year 1690. Gabriel Thomas, who came over in 1681, wrote "An historical description of the Province of Pennsylvania" up to 1696, printed in London in 1698, in which he refers to it as follows: "And Neshamany river, where Judge Growden hath a very noble and fine house, very pleasantly situated, and likewise a famous orchard adjoining to it, wherein are contained above a thousand apple trees of various sorts." As he says nothing about the house being a new one, it had probably been built several years before this was written. The two stone wings belonging to the mansion house are still standing pretty much as they were 200 years ago. They stand back about 30 feet and distant some 14 or 15 feet from the house. The west wing was occupied in the Olden time by Richard Gibbs, secretary to Judge Growden, a justice of the supreme court and speaker of the assembly. Gibbs lived there with a wife and four children, to each of whom the judge bequeathed the sum of one hundred pounds. In those days there was a covered passage-way reaching from the secretary’s house to Growden’s (afterward Galloway’s) office in the northwest corner of the main building. There has been no trace of this connection between the two houses for at least half a century. The east wing was used as a kitchen and was occupied by Growden’s slaves, four in number. There was also a covered passage-way connecting this wing with the housekeeper’s room in the northeast corner of the main building. This has long since disappeared, but has been rebuilt by the present owner. All the buildings on the premises were constructed in the most substantial manner, as if they had been put up to last for all time. The walls of the dwelling-house are of solid, stone over 22 inches in thickness, and the wood work of the interior was of white oak, yellow pine, and white cedar, no other kinds of wood having been used in its construction. The old house with only ordinary care appears to be good for another 200 years. The room on the ground floor, which has been used for an office for several generations, and which is still used as such, has many associations of the olden time connected with it. It was here that Judge Growden, who held several high offices in the province, dispatched his business and dispensed justice to his slaves and dependents, and to the offenders who were brought before him. And it was here that in the next generation, Joseph Galloway and his intimate friend Dr. Franklin held many a consultation. Here the Doctor ventilated his theories with regard to electricity and rehearsed his experiments and told of his success in bringing down lightning from the clouds. Here too they discussed the signs of the times and the tokens of the approaching conflict which was very then near at hand, and in which they made up their minds they would have to take opposite sides. It is highly probable that it was owing to Galloway’s influence that Franklin exhibited so great a reluctance in signing the declaration of independence. This was very natural, for to the Doctor it seemed that, look which way he would, there was nothing but ruin in view. In one event he would lose his estate and in the other there was every prospect of his being hanged. He, however, with his usual sagacity chose the winning side. With Galloway the case was very similar. He was one of the eminent men of his day. He was a very able lawyer, and in 1776 he had a very large practice in the courts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware, and was a man of great activity and energy, and of indefatigable industry. His private fortune at this time was estimated at 40,000 pounds sterling. He had been a member of the provincial assembly for eighteen years, and speaker of the house twelve years. The assembly sent him as a delegate to congress, with instructions as to the course he was to take with regard to the settlement of the difficulties between the colonies and Great Britain. These instructions he adhered to, to the letter. He believed that everything could be settled constitutionally and amicably, without bloodshed, and he was opposed to independence and to the separation of the colonies, as he believed that both would do better together. These views he upheld in congress openly and boldly, and his influence, was so great and he had such a following that his most violent opponents, men who insisted on independence at any risk and at all hazard, saw that he must be silenced, and they took their measures accordingly. He had been spending some little time with his family, consisting of his wife and daughter, at Trevose; this was late in November, 1776, when a body of armed men made their appearance at the house in search of him. They did not find him, however, as he was a man who was generally aware of anything of importance that was going on, a little sooner than his neighbors. He had been warned in season and had left. They then sacked his mansion, plundering and destroying as they pleased. They also sacked the fire-proof record office on the premises, containing Dr. Franklin’s papers and correspondence placed there for safe-keeping. His home being now broken up Galloway joined the British army. It does not appear that he had any other course Open to him. His wife and daughter went to Philadelphia, where he rejoined them the following year, entering the city with the British army under Sir William Howe. He was made superintendent of police by the British general. His house was at Sixth and Market streets, now Wanamaker’s. Having once made up his mind as to his course, Galloway acted with his usual energy. He enlisted a troop of American light horse and also a company of refugees from his own county. Having had these well disciplined he kept them busily employed all that winter and spring in scouting and obtaining intelligence, and attacking such detached parties of the continentals as they could come across. Among their encounters they had one with a body of men posted near Bristol, numbering over 200. These they dispersed, killing 23, and taking 8 prisoners. Knowing that Washington’s army at Valley Forge was in great distress for want of clothing and that he had seized all the cloth at the fulling mills in Bucks county and was having it made up for his army at Newtown, Galloway sent a detachment of 24 of his light horse and 14 of his refugees to take it. His men returned the next day with the cloth and 24 prisoners, having had two encounters with the troops guarding it and killed eight men. During the winter and spring of the British occupation of Philadelphia, Galloway’s troops and company took nearly 200 prisoners and kept all Bucks county from Philadelphia to Trenton clear of the disaffected, so his friends claimed. Elizabeth Galloway went to England with her father in 1778 and married there, but his wife remained in Philadelphia engaged in an effort to prevent the confiscation of her estate. In this she succeeded, but she appears to have suffered great deprivation while living away from her husband. By her will, dated December 30, 1781, she devised all her real estate to nine persons, therein named, to their heirs and assigns, without any restrictions or limitations whatever. This will was proved in Philadelphia in 1783, and the legatees took possession and held the estate until 1801, when their survivors recorded in Doylestown a "Declaration of Trust" that they held the estate in trust for Elizabeth Galloway, her heirs and assigns, covenanting to convey, etc., at her and their request, etc., the tracts Trevose, Belmont, and Richelieu were so conveyed to Elizabeth Galloway Roberts and were sold by her grandchildren in 1847.

EDWARD THOMAS, retired merchant, P.O. Torresdale, was born in Newportville, Bucks county, August 20, 1825. He is a son of Samuel and Martha (Lloyd) Thomas, natives of Montgomery county, Pa., and of Welsh and English descent. His father was a miller, and run the grist-mill at Torresdale as early as 1817. He subsequently moved to Newportville, where he operated a grist-mill and saw-mill. He spent most of his life in Bucks county, and died in 1872 in his 81st year. His wife lived to be 70. They had eleven children, ten of whom grew up and were married; five sons and five daughters. Seven of them are still living, all in Philadelphia county, except Samuel, Jr., who is a resident of Phillipsburg, N.J. Edward was the fourth in the family. He received his education in the common schools of Bucks county, the Westtown boarding school, Chester county. He chose lumbering as a business, and subsequently added milling, and the brick and coal business. He has also devoted some time to farming. The business was established, in 1845, under the firm name of J. & E. Thomas, and continued with success until 1877, when his son Edwin M. and C.S. Vandegrift bought the business. Since then Mr. Thomas has not been actively engaged in business. He has owned farms for years. The farm where he resides in the 23d ward of Philadelphia cost him $35,000. He also owns 135 acres at Torresdale, and the mill property. In 1855 he married Harriet Penrose, daughter of Morris and Rebecca Penrose, of Montgomery county, Pa. Her parents were members of the Society of Friends and of English descent. Their union has been blessed with three children, two of whom are now living: Edwin M. and Helen. The latter attended the schools of Philadelphia, also the Moravian seminary at Bethlehem for two years, and is now at home. Edwin graduated at the Philadelphia high school, and chose his father’s occupation, merchandising and dealing in building supplies and lumber. He was married in Philadelphia to Alma, daughter of Robert Murray. She is of English descent. They have two children: Robert and Morris P. The family are members of the Society of Friends. In politics our subject is a republican. He served twenty-three years as a director of the Bucks County Farmers’ National Bank. He is a director and treasurer of the Independent Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Bucks and Montgomery counties. He takes an active interest in education, and is one of the directors of the Lower Dublin Academy of the 23d ward of Philadelphia. Mr. Thomas has many friends, is well known as a good business man, and has met with marked success.

HON. C.S. VANDEGRIFT, Jr., of the firm of Thomas & Vandegrift, manufacturers and dealers in lumber, flour, feed, brick, and cement, and dealers in coal at Torresdale, P.O. Eddington, was born in Bensalem township, August 20, 1839, and is a son of Alfred and Catherine (Gibbs) Vandegrift. His parents were of Holland and English descent. The family have been residents of Bensalem township for many years. Our subject’s father was a farmer all his life, and met with success. His family consisted of eight sons and four daughters, ten of whom lived to maturity and were married. C.S. Vandegrif’t was a third son. He lived with his parents and attended the common school until he was 13 years of age, when he went to live with his uncle, C.S. Vandegrift, Sr. He clerked in a store and attended academy two years. He subsequently took full charge of the store, his uncle retiring, and continued the business in all nearly twenty-two years. In 1874 he embarked in the lumber business at Eddington, and continued there six years, when he moved his business to Torresdale. The mill business was established here at an early day, but this property came into the possession of the Thomas family over forty years ago, and has been run by them since, until Mr. Vandegrift became a member of the firm. The present managers of the business have increased it and have met with success. Mr. Vandegrift is a democrat in politics. In 1882 he was elected state senator, and served four years in that capacity, with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his fellow-citizens. He was married in 1862 to Mary H., daughter of Charles Rowland. She was a native of Chester county, Pa. This union has been blessed with one child, Frederick B., who is now a custom house broker in Philadelphia. All are members of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Vandegrift has served as trustee and treasurer of the board of trustees of the church, and also served as librarian in the Sabbath school. He is a member of the masonic fraternity, and a past master of the lodge, and past high priest of the chapter at Bristol. He is a member of St. John Commandery, Knights Templar, of Philadelphia.

J.G. VANDEGRIFT, merchant, P.O. Eddington, was born in Bensalem township, September 2, 1834. His parents, Alfred and Catharine M. (Gibbs) Vandegrift, were natives of Bucks county and of German and English descent. His father was a farmer all his life. His family consisted of ten children. He was one of the prominent men of Bucks county, and took great interest in the public schools. He served fourteen years as school director. He was a man of strong determination, and seldom failed in what he undertook. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm, and received a common school education. He chose farming for a business, which he followed with marked success. in 1882 he embarked in the mercantile trade, and keeps a general store at Eddington. He has also opened a sand bank near the village. He owns a fine farm on the banks of the Delaware, known as Brushy Park, deeded June 15, 1774, by Thomas (son of Wm.) Penn, to Capt. John Kidd, and containing 160 acres. He owns other valuable real estate in Eddington. He was elected justice of the peace in 1878. He has served ten years as school director, and is secretary of the board, and district superintendent. He is a Knight Templar. He was married in 1862 to Mary J., daughter of Thomas Creighton. She is of Irish descent. They have two children, Lemuel and Kate. They are members of the Episcopal church.

JOSEPH J. VANDEGRIFT, deceased, was for many years the proprietor of the Half Way House. He was born in Bucks county, February 21, 1837, and was a son of John and Sarah A. (Jackson) Vandegrift, natives of Bucks county, and of German descent. his father was a well-to-do man, and during his life owned considerable real estate. He was the owner of Dunkin’s ferry, and conducted the hotel there for years. Joseph J. very naturally took up the hotel business as his future occupation, but was cut off in the prime of life. He died in 1873. He was a man eminently qualified to entertain the weary traveller, having made the hotel business the occupation of his lifetime. He married Louisa A., daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Howell) Fenton. She is of French and German descent. Her father was a blacksmith, and for many years carried on business in this county. Three of their children are living: Josephine, John (clerk in the hotel), and Regina. He was a democrat.

MOSES VANDEGRIFT, farmer and stock-grower, P.O. Eddington, was born on the farm on which he now resides, and which he owns, June 5, 1841. He is a son of John and Susannah (Sipler) Vandegrift, natives of this county, and of Holland Dutch descent. His ancestors were among the pioneers of Bucks county, and were usually farmers. Our subject’s father was not an exception to this rule, and also followed farming. He died in 1877 on the farm now owned by his son Moses. This farm has been in the possession of the family over 100 years. Moses is the third of seven children, and the oldest now living. He was reared on the farm in Eddington, where he received his education. He has made farming a successful business. He was married in 1878 to Sally, daughter of Stricklin Knight. She is of French and German descent. Their children are: Walter, Rolland, and Fannie. In politics he is a democrat. He has held the offices of supervisor and assessor.

THEODORE D. VANDEGRIFT, farmer and stock-grower, P.O. Eddington, was born in Bensalem township, December 24, 1822. His parents were Joseph J. and Hannah (Jacoby) Vandegrift, natives of this county, and of German descent. His father was a carpenter, and assisted to rebuild the Capitol when it was burned by the British. He afterward embarked in the mercantile business, and also in farming. His family consisted of six children, of whom Theodore was the oldest. He was reared in Bensalem township, attended subscription school, and also boarding school at Andalusia. He chose agricultural pursuits as his occupation, but early in life served an apprenticeship at the broom business, though he never made his trade a permanent business. He is the owner of 45 acres of well-improved land on which he now resides. The buildings are substantial and comfortable. He was married in 1862 to Sarah Ann, daughter of Gilbert Green, of Penn’s Manor, and Sarah Ann Vansciver, of Beverly, both natives of New Jersey, and the latter of German descent. Mrs. Vandegrift is a member of the Episcopal church. In politics he is a democrat.

W.G. WINDER, physician, P.O. Andalusia, was born in Langhorne, Bucks county, May 14, 1847, and is a son of Aaron and Mary (Gillam) Winder. His father was a physician and practised in Langhorne, when the town was called Attleboro. He was born in Bucks county, spent his life here, and died in 1883. He had two sons, of whom W.G. is the older. He was reared in this county, attending the common schools here and the Friends’ High School in Philadelphia. He studied medicine and was graduated from Jefferson Medical college in 1869. He commenced the practice of his chosen profession in Philadelphia, where he remained one year, then returned to Langhorne and practised there until 1876, when he came to Bensalem township. His practice now extends over a large territory and into the city of Philadelphia. He is the physician to the convent of Sacred Heart, Torresdale, and to the Edwin Forrest home at Holmesburg. He is devotedly attached to his profession and is noted for his prompt and energetic professional work. In politics he is a republican.

    Page last updated: April 2, 2015
If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    



Bucks County Coordinator
Web Page Developer
Nancy C. Janyszeski
PAGenWeb State Coordinator
Nancy Janyszeski
PAGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator (Western Counties)
Ellis Michaels 
PAGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator (Eastern Counties)
Mary Ann Lubinsky

Thank you to the volunteers who have contributed to the Bucks County GenWeb Project. Nancy Janyszeski

Site Previously maintained by Judy Jackson