THE WINDER FAMILY
THE WINDER FAMILY.* The progenitor of the WINDERS of Pennsylvania and New
Jersey was Thomas WINDER of England, who settled in Hunterdon county, New Jersey,
in 1705. He was in New Jersey in 1703, and was one of the purchasers of Maidenhead and
Hopewell, and participated in the agreement with Daniel Coxe, one of the proprietors of
West Jersey, in relation to that purchase. Soon after the consummation of the purchase he
returned to London, and was married at St. Margaret's, Westminster, June 5, 1704, to Sara BULL,
and returned to West Jersey, settling in Hunterdon countly, where he became a landowner.
In 1721 he purchased six hundred acres at Newtown, Bucks county, of John WALLEY,
and in 1727 purchased three hundred and forty-one acres in Makefield, Bucks county, which
descended to his son John, and remained in the tenure of his descendants for several
generations until it was sold in 1837. He was a prominent man in Hunterdon county, and was
commissioner of highways in Amwell township in 1723. He married (second) in 1731, Rebecca GREGORY,
who survived him, and married Edward COLLINS in 1736. Thomas WINDER died,
and letters of administration were granted on his estate May 23, 1734. The children of
Thomas and Sara (BULL) WINDER were as follows:
1. John WINDER, born 1707, died August 9, 1770, married Rebecca RICHARDS.
2. Thomas, settled in Amwell, where he was living in 1736.
3. James, removed to Prince George county, Maryland, where he died in 1789.
4. Jane, who married John SLACK and settled in Lower Makefield, Bucks county,
where many of her descendants still reside.
5. Elizabeth, married Peter PHILLIPS of Amwell, where they lived and died.
Elinor, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (GREGORY) WINDER, married July 31, 1751,
Thomas GUINNUP, of Philadelphia.
John and Rebecca (RICHARDS) WINDER settled on the land purchased by his father
in Lower Makefield, Bucks county, the other heirs making conveyances to him for their
interest therein at various periods after the death of Thomas. His wife, Rebecca RICHARDS,
was born September 19, 1714, and died January 19, 1788. The family were not members of the
Society of Friends until 1747, when he and his wife applied for membership at Falls
Meeting, and were admitted as members. John died in Makefield, August 9, 1770. The
children of John and Rebecca (RICHARDS) WINDER, were as follows:
I. Thomas, married, May 11, 1758, Elizabeth LINTON, daughter of Joseph and Mary (BLACKSHAW)
LINTON, of Northampton township.
2. James, married (first) December 28, 1763, Sarah BAILEY, and (second) Mary BOOZ.
3. John, married, January 23, 1760, Margaret BRIGGS. He removed first to
Delaware and later to Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and still later to the state of Ohio.
5. Elizabeth, married (first) in April, 1759, Joseph LINTON, son of Joseph and
Mary, before mentioned, and on April 2, 1795, married David FEASTER.
6. Sarah, married, April, 1761, Robert WHITACRE, and removed to Catawissa,
7. Hannah, married in 1770, Timothy BROOKS. Moses, Aaron and Rachel died
11. Rebecca, married March 26, 1772, John NUTT, and removed to Fairfax,
12. Mercy, died unmarried.
13. Ann married May 13, 1779, Absalom KNIGHT.
14. Aaron WINDER, born September 14, 1759, died July 2, 1824, married January
16, 1812, Sarah VAN HORN, born February 29, 1796, died January 27, 1838, daughter
of Isaiah and Catherine (SUBERS) VAN HORN, of Makefield.
He purchased in 1788 two hundred acres of the Makefield homestead, and built a house
thereon in 1790. It is related that Catherine SUBERS, whose daughter he eventually
married, was the first love of Aaron WINDER, and on her marriage to his successful
rival in her affections, Isaiah VAN HORN, he abjured matrimony and lived single
until the age of fifty-three years, when he married her daughter though Mrs. VAN HORN,
the mother, had been a widow almost from the birth of the daughter.
The children of Aaron and Sarah VAN HORN WINDER were as follows:
I. Joel, born March 8, 1813, died in infancy.
2. Mary, born June 18, 1814, died February 16, 1877, married Lawrence JOHNSON.
(See JOHNSON Family).
*Condensed from "Winders of America." By R. Winder Johnson
3. Rebecca, born February 22, 1817, died September 26, 1854, married General John ELY
and had four children, but two of whom lived to mature age; Mary Winder ELY, born
November 19, 1840, died July 12, 1860, married October 19, 1859, Joseph Parry BROSIUS;
and Samuel Lawrence ELY, born May 24, 1847, died March 19, 1886, married December
29, 1865, Mary Comly KNIGHT. He was sheriff of Bucks county for the term of
4. Dr. Aaron WINDER, born October 17, 1821, died December 28, 1883, married
August 21, 1846, Mary S. GILLAM, and had three children; William G.WINDER,
M. D., of Andalusia, Bucks county and Philadelphia; Mary Ely WINDER, wife of Henry
B. KNIGHT of Bucks county; and Lawrence Johnson WINDER, M. D.
5. Moses WINDER, born December 20, 1823, died April, 1864, married December 25,
1844, Margaretta THORNTON, and had six children, five of whom grew to maturity,
viz: Sarah, born 1849, married Blackstone P. DODDRIDGE; Mary Rebecca, born 1851,
died 1893, married Walter Richards JOHNSON, of Bensalem, Bucks county,
Pennsylvania; Anna Louisa, born February 4, 1854, married April 6, 1885, Isaac Holborrow ROBERTSON;
John Ely WINDER, born 1857, died 1866; and Aaron Augustus WINDER, born
February 8, 1859, married October 12, 1880, Jane Phillips SLUGG, died September 5,
Sarah (VAN HORN) WINDER married (second) August 24, 1825, Abner MORRIS,
and had four children.
Text taken from page 100 of:
Davis, William W. H., A.M., History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New
York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed AUGUST 2000 by GRACE T. BURTON of
PA as part of the Bucks Co., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html
Published October 2000 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/