JOHN R. JOHNSON
Martin JOHNSON was the emigrant ancestor of the family
to which John R. JOHNSON, of Lumberville,
belongs. He came from England, where his
birth occurred on the 5th of May, 1755, and located on Bools Island, now Raven Rock,
Hunterdon county, New Jersey, where he acquired extensive farming lands and other
property, becoming one of the wealthy citizens of his community.
John JOHNSON, son of
Martin JOHNSON, was born and reared on the old
homestead secured by his father, and he, too, followed the occupation of farming. He married Sarah E. BRAY, and their son, Albert R. JOHNSON, became the father of John R. JOHNSON. He
was born on the old homestead in Hunterdon county, New Jersey, August 3, 1833, was there
reared, and in later years acquired possession of the old home property, upon which he
resided until 1844, when he retired and removed to Stockton, where he now resides. He was very successful in his agricultural
competence. He has long been a member of the
Presbyterian church. He married Margaret A. DILTS, who died April 8, 1893, at the age of
sixty years, six months and twenty-two days. She
was a member of the Dunkard church. They had
six children, of whom five are living: John
R; Clark B., who occupies the old homestead; Catherine, wife of Wilmot QUINBY, of Solebury township; Rachael, wife of
Theodore L. GREEN, of Union county, New
Jersey; and Sarah, wife of Eden B. HUNT, of
Stockton, New Jersey.
John R. JOHNSON was born
in Hunterdon county, New Jersey, April 22, 1854, and the first nineteen years of his life
were spent upon his father's farm, during which time he acquired a public school
education. In 1873 he went to Lambertville,
New Jersey, where he accepted a position in a mercantile establishment and there laid the
foundation for his later successful mercantile career.
He remained there for two years and in 1875 came to Lumberville,
accepting a position in the store of READING
& SHADDINGER, acting as clerk in the
establishment for two years, when he purchased the interest of Mr. SHADDINGER, and the firm name was changed to READING & JOHNSON, this connection being maintained until
1892, when Mr. JOHNSON became sole owner of
the business. He has developed an enterprise
of considerable importance, and his annual sales now bring a good financial return, his
business principles being based upon the rules which govern strict, unswerving integrity
and unabating industry. Politically Mr. JOHNSON is a Democrat. He belongs to Black City Lodge, No. 391, I. O. O.
F., of Black City, and he and his wife are active members of the Baptist church, to the
support of which he contributes generously.
In 1879, Mr. JOHNSON
married Miss Marietta BODINE, of Stockton, New
Jersey, a daughter of William and Mary (BELLIS)
brother, Wesley BODINE, now deceased, was for
many years sheriff of Hunterdon county, New Jersey. Mr.
and Mrs. JOHNSON had three children, but lost
their elder son, Raymond D. Bessie K.
and Wilmot Q. are at home. The daughter is a
graduate of the George school, has been a close student since the completion of her course
there, now holds a state certificate and at the present writing (1904) is teaching in
Text taken from page 237
David, William W. H., A.
of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The
Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed January, 2001 by
Donna J. Kling of Pennsylvania as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project,
Published January 2001 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb