History of Bucks County, Pa Volume 3 by William H. Davis
Names and Page # Index



DR. A. J, HINES, deceased, of Doylestown, was born August 5, 1826, on the old HINES homestead, in the extreme west corner of Warrington township, adjoining the Montgomery county line, and was a son of William C. and Elizabeth (JAMES) HINES.
Mathew HYNES, the great-great-grandfather of Dr. HINES, and the pioneer ancestor of the family, was born in Ireland in 1718, and came to Pennsylvania in the year 1740 or thereabouts, locating first in White Marsh township, now Montgomery county, and removing a few years later to a tract of five hundred acres on the county line, partly in what was then New Britain township, later added to Warrington, and extending across the county line into Montgomery. This tract, like many other large tracts in that locality, was held for half a century by parties who were not actual settlers. It was patented to Andrew HAMILTON, and conveyed by him in 1739 to his daughter Margaret, wife of William ALLEN, by whom it was conveyed in trust for their use to James DELANCY of London. It is probable that the title and possession was vested in Mathew HINES about 1752, though no actual transfer of title was made until 1793, when it was conveyed by DELANEY to the sons of Mathew HYNES, except six acres “reserved for the use of their father Mathew HYNES.” Mathew HYNES married Ann SIMPSON, a widow who, tradition relates, preceded Mathew to this country from Ireland, with her son William SIMPSON, and that Mathew, who had known her in Ireland, followed her to America and married her soon after his arrival. Tradition further relates that she was the ancestress of General U. S. GRANT, and that on the occasion of one of his early visits to his relatives in Bucks county he visited the HINES family, and the relationship was discussed by members of the family old enough to have some knowledge of the connection. If this be true, Ann SIMPSON was the widow of William SIMPSON and the mother of another son John, who was also a neighbor of the HYNES family. He was born in 1738, and died August 16, 1804, in Horsham township, on the county line near the HINES residence. He married Hannah ROBERTS, daughter of Lewis ROBERTS, of Abington, and a sister of Captain (later Colonel) William ROBERTS, whose farm adjoined that of HINES, and under whom William HINES, son of Mathew, served in the Revolutionary war. John SIMPSON and Hannah Roberts were married November 25, 1762, and their son John, who married Rebecca WEIR, daughter of Samuel WEIR, of New Britain, was the grandfather of General GRANT, John SIMPSON having removed to Ohio, in 1799, when his daughter Hannah, the mother of General Grant, was a maiden. Mathew HINES died December 23, 1804, aged eighty-six years, and his wife Ann on December 1, 1790, aged eighty years. They are buried side by side at Neshaminy church, of Warwick of which Mathew was a trustee in 1755. They were the parents of three sons, Mathew, Samuel and William, the last two of whom, at least have descendants in Bucks county.
William HINES was born in 1749. He was an ensign in the first regiment raised in Bucks county for service in the Continental army, under the supervision of the Bucks county committee of public safety, it being the complement of four hundred men that the county was to furnish for the formation of the Flying Camp for the Jersey campaign in 1776. The commissions of the officers were dated July 9, 1776, and William HINES was assigned to the position of ensign of the company of which William Roberts was captain, and Henry DARRAH and James SHAW were respectively first and second lieutenants. At the close of the Jersey and Long Island campaign this regiment returned to Bucks county and was incorporated in the organization of the militia in May, 1777, when William ROBERTS was made a lieutenant-colonel, and the captaincy of his company was committed to Henry DARRAH, and William HINES became its second lieutenant. The company saw active service in the fall and winter of 1777 under General John LACEY, and participated in the battle of Germantown, In the reorganization of the militia in May 1778, William HINES became first Lieutenant of Captain DARRAH’s company, which did considerable active service in and around Philadelphia, though not incorporated in the regular Continental army. A well founded tradition in the family relates that, at one time during the struggle, Lieutenant HINES was at a blacksmith shop near his home having a horse shod, when news of a conflict with the British reached him, and that he mounted his horse and hurried to the front without returning home. In the division of the HINES plantation in 1793, 143 acres were conveyed to William HINES, 112 acres of which descended to his son William and his grandchildren, remaining in the tenure of the family for four generations. He died January 17, 1830, in his eightieth year. He married Elizabeth HARRIS, daughter of Henry and Martha HARRIS, of New Britain, and of Welsh descent. Elizabeth died September 30, 1830, aged seventy-eight years, and both are buried at New Britain Baptist church. They were the parents of eight children: viz: three sons,-John; Isaac and William: and five daughters,-Elizabeth, who married Simon JAMES, of New Britain; Ann, wife of John SINGER’ Sarah, wife of John EDER; Hannah, wife of Dr. Joseph MATHEW; and Priscilla, wife of Britain V. EVANS. Colonel John, the eldest son, was a prominent officer of militia, and the grandfather of Charles Cox, of Doylestown. Isaac, the second son, died a few months before his father.
William C. HINES, the father of Dr. A. J. HINES, and the youngest of the three sons of William and Elizabeth (HARRIS) HINES, was born on the old homestead in Warrington township. He purchased it at the death of his father, and died there in 1858. He married Elizabeth JAMES, daughter of Abiah and Rachel (WILLIAMS) JAMES, of New Britain, both natives of New Britain and of Welsh descent. The former born in 1749, died December 1, 1834, was a son of Isaac and Sarah (THOMAS) JAMES, grandson of William and Mary James, and great-grandson of John and Elizabeth JAMES, who emigrated from Caermarthenshire, Wales, in 1810 and settled in New Britain. (See JAMES Family in this work). The children of William and Elizabeth (JAMES) HINES were: Nathan James, Andrew Jackson, Elizabeth and Emily, none of whom married with the exception of the subject of this sketch.

DR. ANDREW JACKSON HINES, was born and reared on the old homestead, and was educated at a private school at the Hermitage, a well known academy conducted in Doylestown township by Professor T. J. CLARKE. He studied medicine under Dr. O.P. JAMES, who was a first cousin to his mother, and entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from which he graduated in 1853. After practicing for a little less than a year at Centreville he purchased in the fall of 1853 the property and practice of Dr. Joseph MOYER, at Leidytown, Hilltown township, where he practiced for eight years with success, and then sold out and located at Jarrettown, Montgomery county, succeeding Dr. Albanus STYRE. He remained at Jarrettown until 1874, when he removed to Doylestown, and after a few months’ rest resumed the practice of his chosen profession and continued to practice until January 1, 1901, when he was taken seriously ill, and after three weeks of intense suffering died on January 23, 1901. He married, June 5, 1860, Anna Maria ARMSTRONG, daughter of Jesse ARMSTRONG, of Doylestown, who died in 1876. They were the parents of three children: William P., who died in childhood; Elizabeth A., and Ella E., who resides at the Doylestown homestead. Dr. HINES and his family were members of the Baptist church, as had been his father and grandmother and his maternal ancestors for many generations. He was a member of the Bucks County Medical Society, and a prominent and successful practitioner. His wife was a descendant of William ARMSTRONG, an early Scotch-Irish settler in Bedminster township. Bucks county, whose descendants were at one time very numerous in Bucks county, some of them filling positions of eminence in the official, military and professional life of the county and elsewhere.

Test taken from page 473-474 of:
Davis, William W. H., A.M., History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed November 2003 by Joan Lollis as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html
Published November 2003 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/
Thank you to the volunteers to contributed the biographies. Nancy Janyszeski
Bucks County Coordinator
Web Page Developer
Nancy C. Janyszeski

PAGenWeb State Coordinator
Nancy Janyszeski


PAGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator (Western Counties)
Ellis Michaels

PAGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator (Eastern Counties)
Mary Ann Lubinsky

Site Previously maintained by Judy Jackson

If you have a homepage, a link, or wish to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks County PA website, email: NancyJanyszeski@yahoo.com.
All copyright laws are observed to the best of our ability. However if you feel something is on the site and infringes on copyright laws please contact the webmaster and let us know. Use of information is for Personal Genealogical purposes only.  Commercial publication of any such information is prohibited. All text and images are copyright by said contributors.
Copyright © by Nancy C. Janyszeski 2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011