History of Bucks County, Pa Volume 3 by William H. Davis
Names and Page # Index


EDWARD GARGES

EDWARD GARGES. The Garges family came from Germany and was planted on American soil in colonial days. Almost continuously from the time that the white race had dominion over the district embraced in Bucks county, representatives of the name have been connected with its history. The family in more recent generations is represented by descendants of Abraham and John Garges. Abraham was grandfather of Edward Garges, learned the blacksmithís trade and lived a life of a mechanic and farmer. He held membership in the Mennonite church, and was interested in public affairs to the extent that he gave hearty support to all movements which he believed would contribute to the general good. He married Leah Ruth, and died in the year 1860. His children were William, a farmer; Henry, father of Edward Garges; Lewis, a farmer; Rebecca, who became the wife of Joseph Funk; Mrs. Mary J. Fell; Sarah A., wife of O. P. Shutt; Priscilla, wife of H. Hines; and Amy and Abraham, both deceased.Henry Garges, son of Abraham and Leah Garges, was born in Doylestown, Bucks county, August 19, 1830, and reared upon the old family homestead, which is now owned by Joseph Rich. He was but sixteen years of age when his father and uncle John, who jointly owned the above property, dissolved partnership by drawing sticks, and it fell to his fatherís lot to leave, so he removed to another farm in Bucks county. At the time of his marriage he settled upon a tract of land in Doylestown township, near Edison, which he yet owns, although he is now living retired from active farm labor. His business career was characterized by unfaltering diligence and perseverance, and was crowned with a very gratifying measure of success. He sold his farm products to wholesale dealers, and in connection with general farming engaged in the raising of stock. As the years passed, his financial resources increased until he has become the possessor of a good estate. A Republican in his political views, Henry Garges has filled a number of township positions. He belongs to the Presbyterian church at Doylestown, and is a man of charitable spirit, kindly nature and genial disposition, qualities which have won him the high regard and good will of those with whom he has been associated. March 13, 1862, Henry Garges married Mary E. Roberts, a native of Bucks county, whose father died during her infancy, so that little is known concerning the history of the Roberts family. Her people, however, were identified with the Friends. Mrs. Garges was an only child. She became a member of the Presbyterian church and passed away July 7, 1901, at the age of sixy-eight years, but Mr. Garges is still living, at the age of seventy-five years. Their children are Anna L., the wife of Frank Bodine; Edward; and Isaac Buckman, a merchant of Philadelphia.Edward Garges, the elder son of Henry and Mary E. (Roberts) Garges, was born in Doylestown township, April 6, 1865, and his elementary education acquired in the common schools was supplemented by study in the high school of Doylestown. Under his fatherís direction he gained practical and comprehensive knowledge of farm methods and in April, 1889, he settled upon the homestead farm, which he cultivated for thirteen years. He then purchased the old homestead property of John B. Walter, deceased, and since 1902 has operated this tract of land, giving his undivided attention to the cultivation of field and garden and to the sale of his products on the markets. He is a practical and successful business man, watchful of opportunities, and by the careful conduct of his business affairs has gained a very desirable competence. He raises stock for the support of his farm. Mr. Garges usually exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, but is somewhat independent in his political views, and does not consider himself bound by party ties. He belongs to the Presbyterian church of Doylestown, and investigation into his life record shows many points worthy of commendation.Edward Garges married Miss Maria F. Walter, who was born on the farm which is now her home, her parents being John B. and Adeline E. (Hoover) Walter, both natives of Bucks county. Her ancestry can be traced back to George Walter, who was a blacksmith of Doylestown in early manhood. He worked at his trade on the Garges homestead before mentioned, now occupied by Joseph Rich, while his wife run a saw mill on the same place. It is said he came there from Skippack, Montgomery county, to operate these trades for Mrs. Garges after her husbandís death. He afterward became a resident of Warrington township, where he purchased a tract of land of one hundred and thirty-one acres, developing this into a very productive farm, where he also conducted his blacksmith shop. His son, Samuel Walter, grandfather of Mrs. Garges, was born on his fatherís farm in Warrington township, and where he spent his remaining days, his death occurring before the death of his father, George Walter. He passed away in 1851. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Deborah Brunner, was a daughter of John and Elizabeth Brunner, her father being proprietor of a hotel in Philadelphia. He was also a farmer and miller at Bridge Point, Bucks county, now called Edison, where in 1800 they boarded the hands who built the stone bridge which still spans the Neshaminy at that place. Mrs. Samuel Walter died in 1874. By her marriage she had become the mother of six children: John B., father of Mrs. Edward Garges; George, a plasterer; Catherine, the wife of W. A. Smith; Elizabeth, the widow of John Marks; Anna M., the wife of Joshua W. Scott; and Frances, the wife of Preston Bissy.John B. Walter was born February 14, 1835, on the farm now owned and occupied by Edward Garges. This had been purchased by his grandfather, George Walter, in 1805, and after his death John B. Walter bought the property at the sale. There were but meager improvements upon it then, but Mr. Walter began its further development, and in due course of time made it a splendidly improved farm. He repaired the house and erected a barn, added many modern equipments, and altogether developed a farm whose value was hardly second to none of the size in the county. He tilled the fields and raised stock, having some very valuable horses and cattle. He was particularly fond of horses, and many specimens of the noble steed were seen upon his place. He was also a market man, and secured a large patronage in the Philadelphia markets. In matters relating to his county he was public-spirited and progressive, and at all times his business integrity was above reproach. He was devoted to his home and family, and held friendship inviolable. Politically a Democrat he filled many township offices and also served on the election board. The moral development of the community was likewise of deep interest to him, and he was a consistent member of the Reformed church, taking a very active part in its work, and serving as trustee for a long period. He died June 14, 1900, at the age of sixty-five years. He was prominent in fraternal circles, belonging to Doylestown Lodge, No. 245, A. F. and A. M.; Doylestown Chapter, R. A. M.; Pennsylvania Commandery, No. 70, K. T., of Philadelphia; and Warrington Lodge, No. 447, I. O. O. F. He filled the position of school director for nineteen years and held other township offices.John B. Walter was married December 2, 1856, to Miss Adeline E. Hoover, who was born in Warrington township, September 10, 1831, and died February 4, 1905. She was a lady of intelligence and culture. Her parents were Frederick W. and Maria (Fleck) Hoover, both descendants of early settlers of Bucks county. Her paternal grandparents were Philip and Mary (Conrad) Hoover, who were born in this county and were of German descent, the Hoover family having been established in Pennsylvania at an early epoch in the colonization of the state. Frederick W. Hoover, father of Mrs. John B. Walter, was reared on the home farm, and after his marriage engaged in merchandising in Pleasantville, Pennsylvania, for a number of years. Subsequently he purchased a tract of land and continued to make his home upon the farm, which he there developed until his lifeís labors were ended in death. When he was at Pleasantville he became one of the founders and organizers of the Reformed church and one of its pillars, taking a most active part in its work and serving as elder. His home was always open for the reception of the ministers and the church people. Possessing marked musical talent, he was a leading singer in the church and also played upon different musical instruments. His ability in this direction also added to the attractiveness of his home. He voted with the Democracy and held different township offices, while his father and grandfather were prominent in political circles of the state, each representing his district in the general assembly. Frederick W. Hoover was married to Maria Fleck, a daughter of Adam Fleck, who died from camp fever contracted while serving in the war of 1812. He was a farmer of Montgomery county prior to entering the army. He and his brothers, Daniel and Jacob, were representatives of an old Pennsylvania family. Adam Fleck had six children: Charlotte; Samuel; Maria, who became Mrs. Frederick W. Hoover; Eliza; Benjamin; and Adam. The children of Frederick W. and Maria (Fleck) Hoover were Tilghman A.; Adeline E., who became Mrs. John B. Walter; Philip W., of Philadelphia; F. Lyman, deceased; Samuel, of North Wales; Truman and William L., both of Philadelphia; Frank, who is living at Bluebell; and Andrew, who died at the age of fourteen years. They were reared in the Reformed church, but some of the family became identified with other religious denominations.

The children of John B. and Adeline E. (Hoover) Walter are: Mary H., a school teacher; Ida E., the wife of Frank Larzelere; Mattie L., the wife of H. M. McKinstry; Maria, the wife of Edward Garges; Andrew J., pastor of the Dutch Reformed church at Harlingen, New Jersey; and William, who died at the age of nineteen years; Samuel, who died at the age of two years; and Gertrude, at the age of six years. The children of Edward and Maria Garges are Ethel F., born March, 1893; John W., born October 1, 1894, died March 8, 1903; Mary E., born November 7, 1896; Mildred A., May 17, 1898; Henry W., December 16, 1900; and Anna M., January 12, 1903.

Text taken from page 317

Davis, William W. H., A. M. History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III

Transcribed January 2002 as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project,

Published January 2002 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb


Thank you to the volunteers to contributed the biographies. Nancy Janyszeski
Bucks County Coordinator
Web Page Developer
Nancy C. Janyszeski

NancyJanyszeski@yahoo.com
PAGenWeb State Coordinator
Nancy Janyszeski

nancyjanyszeski@yahoo.com

PAGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator (Western Counties)
Ellis Michaels
ellisrn@gmail.com

PAGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator (Eastern Counties)
Mary Ann Lubinsky
maryannlubinsky@yahoo.com
     

Site Previously maintained by Judy Jackson

If you have a homepage, a link, or wish to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks County PA website, email: NancyJanyszeski@yahoo.com.
All copyright laws are observed to the best of our ability. However if you feel something is on the site and infringes on copyright laws please contact the webmaster and let us know. Use of information is for Personal Genealogical purposes only.  Commercial publication of any such information is prohibited. All text and images are copyright by said contributors.
Copyright © by Nancy C. Janyszeski 2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011