History of Bucks
County, Pa Volume 3 by William H. Davis
JAMES R. BUCKMAN
JAMES R. BUCKMAN. The BUCKMAN family is of English origin, and was established in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, by Abden BUCKMAN, the grandfather of J. R. BUCKMAN, who settled near Dolington, where he continued to follow farming throughout his remaining days, his death occurring in 1856. He was a member of the Society of Friends. In early manhood he wedded Sarah HARVEY, and their children were Samuel; Ellen, wife of Robert LONGSHORE; Benjamin; and Margaret, wife of William CARR.
Benjamin BUCKMAN, son of Abden BUCKMAN, was born in Dolington, Bucks county, in 1797, and received a liberal education, attending the common schools of this locality and a boarding school at Burlington, New Jersey. When he was but twenty years of age he began teaching in the latter state, and followed that profession for several years. After his marriage he purchased a farm in Evesam township, Burlington county, New Jersey, where he spent his remaining days, conducting his agricultural interests in connection with the furtherance of many public enterprises. He was recognized as one of the leading and influential citizens of his community. In politics a stanch Republican, he held the office of assessor of his township for several years, and was likewise a justice of the peace and notary public. In 1856 he was elected surrogate of Burlington county for a term of five years, and about 1862 was appointed internal revenue collector of that county by President Lincoln. He married Miss Ann DOBBINS, of New Jersey, and their only child was James R. For his second wife he chose Miss Keziah PEACOCK, and his death occurred in Burlington, New Jersey, on the 31st of August, 1870, when he was about seventy-three years of age.
James R. BUCKMAN was born at Mount Laurel, New Jersey, March 10, 1827, and supplemented his preliminary educational privileges afforded by the common schools by study in the Friends boarding school at Bristol. He began life for himself as a farmer, and in 1861, purchased the farm at Wrightstown, Bucks county, whereon he remained for sixteen years, successfully conducting agricultural pursuits. On the expiration of that period he sold this property and removed to Sing Sing, New York, where he remained for seven years in the employ of the commissioners of the state building a dam across the Croton river. In the spring of 1884 he returned to Bucks county, and for eight years had charge of the Presbyterian and Methodist Episcopal church and also the Morrisville school as janitor. Since that time he has lived retired, enjoying a well earned rest, for his entire life has been characterized by unfaltering labor and diligence and it is through this means that he gained the competence that now enables him to rest from further labor. He married Miss Mary FORT, a daughter of John and Alice FORT, of Penn Manor.
Text taken from page 684 of:
Davis, William W. H., A.M., History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed November 2006 by Joan Lollis as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html
Published November 2006 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/
|Page last updated:Saturday November 15, 2008|