Wilmington township was formed in 1846, it embraced considerably more
territory than it now does. When Lawrence county was created in 1849,
the north line of that county was so run as to cut Wilmington township
in two, leaving in Mercer county only about a third of the original
The natural commercial center of the township is at New
Wilmington. In March, 1858, a postoffice was established on the little
stream in the northeast corner of the township, called Indian Run.
Since 1902 the office has been discontinued.
A colony of
settlers came to this vicinity in 1798 and established families,
several of which have since been identified with this township. The
colonists were John McCrum, James Hazlet, John Waugh, William Hughey,
John Blair, Robert Weir, John Hughson. Hugh Means was an important
settler of 1800, for about four years later he built the first grist
mill. James Young was also one of the early settlers here.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 167
Towns & Villages
White Chapel Cemetery
|1840 (still a part of Lackawannock Twp.)
|Transformation of Wilmington Twp.
|Formed in 1846
|From Lackawannock Twp.
|Then divided into Lawrence County, PA