division of Salem into Salem and West Salem townships [occurred]
in 1805. West Salem contained Greene and part of Hempfield until 1844
and 1856.The same group of pioneers who located in Hempfield and about
Greenville were also identified with the early settlement of West Salem
township. Several members of the Klinginsmith, Keck and Loutzenhiser
families selected their homes in this township. The Kecks were
especially identified with the country west of the
Fell was a settler of
1796. John Mossman came to this township in 1797 and about two years
later a large family of that name were established here. The Mossmans
have been active and prominent in each generation to the present time.
On the Kinsman road, near the west line of the township, Mossmantown or
West Salem postoffice was a small community that developed largely
through the presence of this family. James W. Mossman was the
postmaster when the postoffice was established in 1851, and the office
remained in the keeping of the family during most of its existence. It
was discontinued in 1875.
Richard and James Melvin, natives of Ireland, were settlers in 1798,
the family are still represented in the township. About the same time
came William McClimans, a Revolutionary soldier, who after a useful
life continued his name and character among many descendants.
Joseph Morford was living in this township before the close of the century, and well known citizens still honor the name here.
physician of the township is one of the representatives of the Brown
family, established here by Richard and Andrew in 1800. Other pioneers
about this time were Henry Lininger, John Speir, Adam Miller.
1807 the West Salem Baptist church was organized, with a membership
among some of the prominent pioneer families. About 1840 the first
church was erected, near the center of the township. A grist mill had
been built near the same point about 1829, and other enterprises
resulted in a community center growing into a village, called
Maysville. A postoffice was established there in February, 1852. It was
discontinued in 1872. In recent years the name Meadows has been applied
to this little settlement.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 174 - 175
|Transformation of West Salem Twp.
|Formed in 1805
|From Salem Twp.
|Then divided into Greene & Hempfield Townships