Creek was made a separate township in November, 1849. Jacob Reed is
thought to have been the pioneer of this vicinity, having come in 1796,
and being the only settler of whom record is preserved during the
closing years of the century. Adam Carnahan was a settler about 1800,
having been an unsuccessful claimant in two other townships. The
settlement of the township did not progress very far until the second
decade of the century. Patrick Kilgore, Francis Dunn, John Montgomery
were founders of families here in the early part of the century.
of the early institutions of the township were a school taught near the
locality later known as Kerrtown about 1808, Allen Dunn teacher; Rocky
Spring church (Associate Reformed), organized about 1810, which with
its cemetery stood near the Sandy Lake township line; a grist mill
erected about 1815, by Samuel Glenn.
In the northeast corner of
the township French Creek postoffice was established in March, 1837,
John McCracken and Francis Dunn being the only two postmasters. The
office was abolished in 1876. North Sandy postoffice in the eastern
part of the township was established in December, 1868, John A. Glenn
postmaster, and was discontinued a number of years ago.
The borough of New Lebanon has long been the principal commercial center of the township.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, pages 165 - 166
|Mill Creek Township
|Mill Creek Census Records
Towns & Villages
Rocky Spring Cemetery
|1840 (was a part of Lackawannock Twp.)
|Transformation of Mill Creek
|Formed in 1849
from French Creek Township