was formed from part of Salem and West Salem townships in May, 1856.
Those who deserve mention as the pioneers of this township were men of
more than ordinary enterprise, and the activities of themselves and
their descendants have been a permanent influence in this and the
adjoining townships of northwest Mercer county. Andrew Christy, Jacob
Loutzenhiser, Joseph Keck, Daniel and Peter Klinginsmith were the
leaders of the colony which came here from Westmoreland county in 1796
and selected lands about the junction of the two branches of the
Shenango. The history of Greenville honors the names of all these men.
Andrew Christy was a colonel in the war of 1812. His home was located
about two miles from Greenville. His brother Samuel has descendants in
Greene township. By marriage to Susan Williamson, Colonel Christy
connected his family with that of another noted pioneer of this region,
whose career furnishes points of history for Greenville and vicinity.
Of the families who were settled in this township at the
beginning of the last century were the familiar names of Bean (a
numerous family), Donaldson, Stinson, Bole, Dumars. Alexander Dumars
was an Irishman, and for many years a justice of the peace of Hempfield
and active in affairs.
Hempfield has no towns except Greenville.
For many years the Salem Presbyterian church in the south part of the
township held together in spiritual and social communion many of the
leading families of this part of the county. With the dissolution of
the church its adherents were scattered and affiliated with other
North of Greenville near the present [St. Paulís]
Orphans Home a part of the house is still standing which was built by
John Long early in the last century and which, so his descendants
claim, was the first white house (painted) between Erie and Pittsburg.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 173 - 174
|Hempfield Twp. Cemeteries
|Hempfield Twp. Census Records
|Hempfield Twp. Towns & Villages
|Homer Cemetery (Greenville)
Old Glory Cemetery
Old Salem Cemetery
Shenango Valley Cemetery (Greenville)
St. Michaels Cemetery
|1840 & 1850 (Still a part of Salem & West Salem townships)
Greenville Borough (nearby)
|Transformation of Hempfield Twp.
|Formed in 1856
|From Salem Twp. & West Salem Twp.