township, formed from the territory of West Salem in 1844, was named
for Gen. Nathaniel Greene of the Revolution. The township, outside of
the borough of Jamestown, is entirely agricultural .
other pages is given an account of the Moreland centennial celebration
of 1896, when the old Moreland homestead south of Jamestown was the
scene of many festivities and reminiscences in commemoration of the
settlement of the Moreland family here in 1796. For more than a century
and a decade John Moreland and his descendants have lived honorably and
usefully in this part of the county.
The Sherbondys, whose name
frequently appears in the annals of Jamestown, came to this township
before the close of the century, the principal members of the family
bearing the names, Philip, John and Jacob.
In 1799 Samuel
Rodgers came from Ireland and located on the land in the south part of
the township and east of the Shenango river which has ever since been
noted as the Rodgers homestead. At this writing, Robert Henry Rodgers,
a son of the pioneer, is still living, at the age of ninety-two, and
said to be the oldest living native of the county.
Moats family was founded in the township by Christian Moats in
1798, and its members have been prominent farmers in the western part
of the township and also connected with business in Jamestown for over
Another family which has numerous connections in the
county are the Artmans. Jacob Artman settled in this township during
the first decade of the last century.
On the state line in the
west part of the township is the old Betts homestead, where in the
early years of the century members of the family had a distillery and
later a grist mill. The oldest member of the family was a Revolutionary
soldier, and the successive generations have furnished capable citizens
to the township.
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 175 - 176
|Greene Twp. Cemeteries
|Greene Twp. Census Records
|Greene Twp. Towns & Villages
|Jamestown Borough (nearby)
|Transformation of Greene Twp.
|Formed in 1844
|From West Salem Twp.
Then divided into Sugar Grove Twp.