R.L. BALDERSTON, merchant and postmaster, Dolington, P.O., was horn in Falls township, Bucks county, in 1850. He is a son of David and Hannah (Margerum) Balderston, natives of Bucks county, and of English and German descent. The Balderston family came from England several generations back and settled in the lower part of this county. The grandfather, John, was a farmer of Upper Makefield township. Mr. Balderston’s father also followed farming for most of his life. He now resides in Newtown, retired. He is the father of nine children: Rebecca, Phebe, Sarah, Elizabeth M., David J., Franklin, Robert L. and Ellen, living; and Mary A., deceased. Ellen and Mary A. are children by a second marriage. Robert L. Balderston was reared on a farm until 21 years of age, when he engaged as clerk in a store at Dolington for five years. In 1876 he engaged in the mercantile business at Brownsburg, continuing for five years. In 1881 he established a mercantile business at Dolington, and has since carried it on here. He carries a general line of merchandise and is enjoying a good trade. In the fall of 1884 he was appointed postmaster at Dolington and still holds that office. He was married in February, 1879, to Josephine A. Matthews, by whom he has one child, W. Ernest.

JAMES BRIGGS, retired, P.O. Dolington, was born in Middletown township, Bucks county, October 29, 1807, and is a son of Phineas and Sarah (Taylor) Briggs, natives of Bucks county, and of English descent. The grandfather settled in Wrightstown township and died there. He was a farmer by occupation. His son Phineas was a carpenter, and followed his trade during his early life, but afterward drifted into farming, which he carried on in Middletown township. He was the father of eight children, all now deceased except James. Those deceased were: William, Susan, Samuel Yardley, Sarah A., Theodore, and Mary. At the age of 16 years James Briggs began to learn the coachmaker’s trade and served an apprenticeship of four and a half years in Newtown. In 1832 he came to Dolington and carried on business for himself for eight years, when he sold out and purchased a farm in Solebury township and engaged in farming until the spring of 1885, when he moved back to Dolington and has since lived retired. By industry and economy he acquired a competence for the remainder of his days. In 1832 Mr. Briggs married Tacie Croasdale, by whom he had four children: Phineas and Jonathan T., living; and Caroline and Robert C., deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Briggs are members of the Friends’ meeting. He held the office of supervisor for one year. Mr. Briggs is an old and respected citizen of the community in which he resides.

SAMUEL C. CADWALLADER, retired farmer, P.O. Dolington, was born November 7, 1815, in Upper Makefield township, on the old homestead on the farm where he now resides. He is a son of Jacob and Ann (Taylor) Cadwallader, natives of this county and of Welsh descent. The Cadwallader family is of Welsh origin, having emigrated to this country in the seventeenth century. There were four brothers who left Wales to come to this country, one of whom, Lambert, settled where Lambertville, N.J., now stands, and it is supposed that that town was named after him. Two of the others settled near Bucks and Montgomery counties, and the fourth settled in the western part of the state, and of his descendants we know nothing. Jacob Cadwallader was a farmer, and moved to the place where his son Samuel now lives in the year 1800, and spent the remainder of his days there. He died in 1843. He was the father of eleven children, all of whom are deceased except Samuel C. The latter has always lived on the farm he now owns, and has made farming his principal occupation. He has been quite successful, and by industry and economy in his younger days is now enabled to enjoy a well-earned competence. In 1844 he married Hannah C., daughter of Jonathan Carr, of Plumstead township, by whom he has had six children, two of whom died in infancy. Those living are: Macre Ann, Mary, Julia and James L. Mr. and Mrs. Cadwallader are members of the Society of Friends. He has been school director for a term of twenty-three years, and supervisor and overseer of the poor six years. He has been guardian and trustee for twelve orphans, and executor and administrator for several estates. The Cadwallader family have been identified with the county for over a century and a half, and there are but few of them now left. Samuel C. is now in his seventy-second year, and although retired from active business is quite active and well-read, and still possesses the enterprise of his younger days.

GEORGE DAVIS, hotel keeper, P.O. Brownsburg, was born in Philadelphia, September 4, 1834, and is a son of Ashton J. and Sarah Davis. The father of George Davis was engaged in the shoemaking business all his life. George Davis was married, in 1857, to Adeline Wiggins, and by her is the father of fourteen children, ten of whom are now living. Their names are as follows: Sarah E., George M., Harriet, Charles W., Thomas W., Amanda A., Anna, Charlotte, Laurin and Lilla. During, the civil war Mr. Davis enlisted in the 104th Pennsylvania regiment for three years, but received his discharge on account of a diffused aneurism, after serving his country for seven months. He is a republican, and is at present engaged in keeping a hotel.

WILLIAM H. ELLIS, engraver, P.O. Buckmanville, was born in the old Northern Liberties, Philadelphia, and is a son of David and Martha (Brown) Ellis. The latter was a daughter of George and Susan Brown, and was born in Falls township, this county, August 8, 1780. David Ellis, father of William H., was born in London, England, and came to Philadelphia and lived there until his death. He was the father of four children: David, George B., and Edwin M., all deceased; and William H., who was the youngest. In his youth he learned the engraver’s trade with his brother, George B. Ellis. He worked at his trade in Philadelphia about five years, and then moved to Upper Makefield township, where he has since lived. He owns a farm in the township, and still works at his trade occasionally. William H. Ellis married Ann M. Corson. His son, George W. Ellis, was born in Newtown, this county, February 22, 1839. William Godey Ellis, also his son, was born in Upper Makefield township, in November, 1844.

ANDREW J. GIBSON, farmer, P.O. Brownsburg, was born in Plumstead township, Bucks county, June 15, 1836, and is a son of Andrew and Nancy (Ruckman) Gibson, natives of Bucks county and of Irish and English descent. The ancestors of the Gibson family came from Ireland in the seventeenth century and settled in Plumstead township, Bucks county, where they took up a large tract of land. The grandfather, James Gibson, lived and died in Plumstead township, his occupation being that of a farmer. The father of Andrew J. was also a resident of Plumstead township and a farmer. He had seven children, four of whom are still living: Andrew J., William H., Nancy R. and Isabella. Andrew J. was reared on a farm, receiving a fair education in the common schools of the neighborhood. He has always followed farming, with the exception of a few years during which he was engaged as a travelling salesman for a publishing house, at which occupation he was quite successful. He was a resident of Plumstead township until 1876, when he sold out and removed to Newtown, where he resided one year. He removed to his present residence in 1881, and purchased the farm. In 1876 he married Jennie M. Vanartsdalen, by whom he has two children, Nellie and Mary J. Mr. and Mrs. Gibson are members of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Gibson is intelligent and progressive, and possesses good business qualities.

THOMAS H. GRAY, travelling car agent for the Lehigh Valley railroad, P.O. Brownsburg, was born in Buckingham township, April 22, 1838. He is a grandson of Abraham Gray and a son of Dean and Sarah (Stockdale) Gray, the former born in this county. The Gray family came from Scotland and were early emigrants to this country. Dean Gray was a blacksmith by trade. He was a member and officer of the Presbyterian church and was active as a temperance reformer. He owned a farm, which his sons carried on while he worked at his trade. He was the father of five children: Napoleon B. (deceased), William W., Rhoda A., Joseph N. (deceased), and Thomas W., who was the youngest, and who was brought up on the farm until he had acquired a knowledge of that business, but having higher aspirations, he sought other employment, and in 1856 went to Philadelphia and obtained a position as clerk in a store. After clerking a few years in different positions, it becoming necessary that he should look after the old home, he returned to it and carried on farming for eight years, or until 1867, at which time the property was advantageously sold. He then went to New Jersey with his parents and carried on farming there for four years. His mother died in 1869, and his father in 1871. In 1873 he engaged as clerk in the office of the Pennsylvania railroad company, at Lambertville, N.J., which position he held for eight years, when his health began to fail, and he found it necessary to change his business, and was given a position on the Lehigh Valley railroad company as car agent, which he still holds, with perfect satisfaction to the company. He was married in 1869 to Louisa Vanartsdalen, granddaughter of Adrian Cornell, Sr., and daughter of Francis Vanartsdalen, by whom he had two children, Mary (deceased) and William W. Mr. and Mrs. Gray are members of the Presbyterian church.

SAMUEL F. GWINNER, justice of the peace, P.O. Taylorsville, was born in Easton, Northampton county, September 10, 1828. Thomas Gwinner, his father, was born in Easton. He was a graduate of the College of Pharmacy and carried on the drug business in Philadelphia, and also in Easton. In October, 1836, he removed to Nockamixon township, this county, and resided there until his death. Samuel F. Gwinner was married in 1850 to Clarissa A. Spear. They have had four children: John A., Clara A. (deceased), Edwin C. and Leila G. Mr. Gwinner, in 1847, when between 18 and 19 years old, engaged in boating paving-stones to Philadelphia, on the Delaware Division canal; his business was buying paving-stones and selling them to the city Of Philadelphia. He continued in that business until 1856, boating himself during part of the time. In the spring of 1854 he was elected auditor of Nockamixon township, and in October of the same year was elected to the legislature. In the early part, of 1856 he quit the paving-stone business and sold all his property with the object of going to Kansas to assist in keeping it a free state, but was prevented from going by sickness of himself and family. Being out of business he began reading law with J. Alexander Simpson, Esq., and in 1858 moved to Philadelphia to complete his studies. He was admitted to the bar in this county November 2, 1865, having previously been admitted in Philadelphia. In April, 1859, he was appointed by the mayor of Philadelphia measurer of paving-stones, which position he held by reappointment until December, 1867. In October of the latter year he was elected to the common council in the Eighteenth ward for two years. He was twice appointed notary public for Philadelphia by Governor Geary, and held the office six years. In May, 1869, he was appointed by Honorable Henry D. Moore collector of the port, measurer, and held that office until August, 1876. In March, 1873, he moved back to Bucks county and settled at Taylorsville. In 1876 he was a candidate for senator against Honorable Harmon Yerkes, but was defeated with his party’s ticket. In March, 1880, he was appointed by the governor to the office of justice of the peace to fill a vacancy. In January, 1882, he was appointed to a clerkship under Honorable Edward McPherson, clerk of the House of Representatives at Washington, and held that position during the 47th congress. He was elected justice of the peace in 1884 for a period of five years, and is now filling that position. While in Philadelphia he was engaged in the foundry business for one year, and was also elected three terms as a school director in the eighteenth section, and was secretary of the school board when he moved from Philadelphia. In political affairs he has been very active. In 1854 and in 1855, he was a delegate to the state convention of the American party. He was active in the secret branch of that party, and was a prominent member of its county, state, and national organizations. In the spring of 1856 he was a delegate to the state convention that elected delegates to the national convention that nominated John C. Fremont for president, and in the fall of the same year was a delegate to the state convention that formed the Fillmore and Fremont union electoral ticket, supported that year. In 1876 he was a delegate to the republican state convention and was appointed the member of the state central committee for this county. He was, for many years, a member of the county committee of the whig and republican parties, and in 1874, 1875, 1883, and 1884, was chairman of the republican county committee. In 1876, 1882, and 1884, he was a delegate to the congressional convention in this district, and was secretary of the former and president of the latter two conventions. While a resident of Philadelphia, he was secretary of the state council of the Union League of America for many years, and was active in organizing councils of that organization throughout the state; he was also for many years one of the secretaries of the National council. He has been in every county but five, and in every county town but seven in this state on political business. In 1868 he was private secretary for Honorable Galusha A. Grow, then chairman of the republican state central committee, and in 1869 he was one of the secretaries of that committee. He was a delegate to every convention of his party to nominate candidates for judges, and to every convention held to form rules for the government of his party, held while he was a resident in Philadelphia. He has been an active Odd Fellow for many years, having been initiated into that order April 20, 1850. In September, 1857, he was elected representative to the Grand lodge by Nockamixon lodge, No. 536, located at Bridgeton, in Nockamixon township, and has been continuously re-elected until the present time. Prior to that time he was a member of the Grand lodge Of New Jersey, having been admitted there in August, 1853. He was elected Grand Master of the Grand lodge of Odd Fellows of Pennsylvania, in 1869. In 1876 he was elected by the Grand lodge of Pennsylvania, Grand Representative to the Sovereign Grand lodge I.O.O.F., and held that position for ten years.

REVEREND DWIGHT C. HANNA, P.O. Brownsburg, was born near Savannah, Ashland county, Ohio, December 7, 1859, and is a son of T. Wilson and Amanda M. Hanna. His early life was passed upon a farm in an isolated locality, there being no neighbors within a considerable distance, and neither store, post-office nor church within a radius of five miles. Mr. Hanna entered Savannah academy at the age of sixteen, and three years later became a freshman at the Wooster university, where he graduated in 1883. He entered Princeton Theological seminary in the autumn of the same year, and completed the usual course in May, 1886. His connection with Thompson Memorial church began during the summer of 1885, and has continued to this time, the regular installation and ordination having occurred June 1, 1886. The vacation of 1884 was spent at Fannettsburg, Franklin county, Pa., as a tutor. It was meant that the quiet seclusion of that retired locality should be remembered only as such, but the event proved otherwise. Here Mr. Hanna formed the acquaintance of Miss Laura B. Typer, with whom he was united in marriage September 1, 1886.

WILLIAM HARVEY, farmer, P.O. Makefield, was born in Upper Makefield township June 16, 1839, and is a son of Kinsey and Evaline (Doan) Harvey, natives of Bucks county, and of English descent. His great-grandfather came from England in the early part of the seventeenth century, and settled in Upper Makefield township, where he lived and died. All of the family since then have been born in this township. The male members are all farmers by occupation. Mr. Harvey’s father was twice married. By the first marriage he had ten children: Edward, Benjamin, William, Harrison, who was taken prisoner while in the Union army in Virginia and died there; Sarah J. (deceased), Matthias, Theodore, Kinsey and two who died in infancy; David and Emeline. The parents of these children are both deceased. By the second marriage there were three children: Frank, Wilson and Elmer. The mother of these three children is yet living. William Harvey was reared to farming and has always followed that occupation. In 1863 he married Sarah A. Vanzant, who is now deceased. Mr. Harvey is the father of three children: Adam R. and Andrew, living; and Harry, deceased. In 1862 Mr. Harvey enlisted in company C, 128th Pennsylvania Volunteers, and marched from Doylestown under Colonel Croasdale. He participated in the battle of Antietam, and was wounded in the first day’s fight by a gunshot in the left shoulder, which disabled him from duty. He was taken to the hospital, where he lay several weeks before he was sufficiently recovered to go home, when he was discharged. Mr. Harvey has been school director of his township. He comes from one of the old pioneer families of Bucks county.

JOHN S. KEITH, farmer, P.O. Makefield, was born in Lower Makefield township, Bucks county, on the Delaware river, January 23, 1812. His father was born on the same place December 10, 1780. This place was Washington’s headquarters in the revolution, just before the battle of Trenton. The farm was bought by Wm. Keith from an English land company. Mr. Keith left it to his son John, and he to his grand-nephew, John Keith Slack, he to take the name of Keith. It has been in the Keith family name for more than one hundred and twenty-five years. The original ancestors from whom they are descended came to this country from Scotland. Mr. Keith was married in 1837 and had two children: Isaac S. and Mary Jane. In 1844 he again married and had three children: Mattie S., James T. and John S. He has for many years been a member of the Presbyterian church, and in politics is a republican.

CHAPMAN KIRK, farmer, P.O. Brownsburg, was born in Buckingham township July 12, 1846, and is a son of Chapman and Letta A. (Betts) Kirk, natives of Bucks county, and of English descent. The grandfather, Amos, was a resident of Buckingham township, and was a farmer by occupation. His son Chapman was the father of two sons: Theodore and Chapman. The latter was reared in Buckingham township, where he lived until he was 22 years of age, when he married and removed to Upper Makefield township, where he has since resided. He was married November 19, 1869, to Anna, daughter of William S. Large. They are the parents of two children: Letta M. and Charles W. Mr. and Mrs. Kirk are members of the Presbyterian church.

FRANCIS VANARTSDALEN, deceased, was born December 20, 1813, and was a son of Colonel John and Jane (Krusen) Vanartsdalen, natives of this county, and of German descent. Colonel Vanartsdalen was an officer in the war of 1812. Francis Vanartsdalen was a member and officer of the Presbyterian church. He was a successful farmer; a man of enterprise and integrity. On January 10, 1839, he married Mary J., daughter of Adrian and Lena Cornell. They have five daughters: Jane M., the wife of A.J. Gibson; Louisa, wife of Thomas H. Gray; Mary E., wife of Edward Merrick; Alice E., deceased, and Harriet, also deceased. Mr. Vanartsdalen died in 1854. His widow married James R. Boileau on January 26, 1871. He died September 19, 1875. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, as is also Mrs. Boileau. The widow still owns the farm which she inherited from her father. Mr. Boileau was a very prominent man, having held some very important offices. He was a member of the House of Representatives for three terms, justice of the peace for a great many years, and held the office of county treasurer for one term. He was a stanch democrat, took an active part in politics, and had many friends.

CHARLES B. VANHART, farmer, P.O. Brownsburg, was born October 9, 1821. His father was Jacob Vanhart, and was of German descent. Charles B. was married in 1848 to Eliza Thomelson. From this marriage six children were born: Jacob, Mary, Alfred T., Eliza, John and, Kate. His first wife died, and Mr. Vanhart was again married to Jane Jackson. In politics he is a democrat.

WATSON VAN HORN, commission dealer and farmer, P.O. Makefield, was born in Upper Makefield township January 13, 1853, and is a son of John and Rebecca (Feaster) Van Horn, natives of Bucks county. The family originated from England, and were among the early settlers of this county. The father of Watson had nine children, five of whom are living. They are: Pemberton, David, Watson, Joseph, and Martha. The father is deceased, and the mother is still living. Watson Van Horn was reared on a farm, and remained with his parents until 26 years of age. In the year 1884 he was engaged with T.D. Harvey, of Philadelphia, in the cider business. In 1885 he engaged in the commission business, and has continued in it since. He also carried on farming. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. lodge, of Newtown.

MARGERY F. WALTON, P.O. Taylorsville, was born in Chester county, Pa., September 20, 1827. She was married October 17, 1849, to Rodman Walton. Mr. and Mrs. Walton were the parents of nine children, six of whom are living:

Louis F., Edward E., Amos S., Emily B., Joseph H., Hiram, George T., Albert H., and Lydia R. Mr. Walton from early life always followed farming as a business. He was a member of the Society of Friends, and in politics a republican.

HENRY WYNKOOP, retired, P.O. Brownsburg, was born in Northampton township, Bucks county, January 16, 1809, and is a son of David and Ann (McNair) Wynkoop, the former a native of Northampton township, and the latter of Upper Makefield. Peter Wynkoop was the first of the name to emigrate to America. He was born in 1616, and came from Holland to New York in 1640, and settled in Albany, N.Y., in 1644. He was commissioned by the Patron to purchase land about the Catskills from the natives, and in connection with the commissary, General Curler, to recover land and other property which were alleged to have been purchased and misappropriated by Adrian Van der Donck, a former agent. Judge Henry Wynkoop, a descendant of the above, was born March 2, 1737. He was a lieutenant of the revolutionary war, and was associate judge of the common pleas court of Bucks county. He resigned the eldership of his church in Northampton and Southampton townships because of his absence while in congress. He died March 25, 1816. Gerardus, the grandfather of the present Henry Wynkoop, made a settlement in Northampton township in the latter part of the eighteenth century, and there lived until his death. He was a farmer by occupation. His son, David, father of Henry, was also a farmer. He represented Bucks county in the legislature six successive years, and in 1836 emigrated to Licking county, O., where he died in 1842. He was the father of seven children: Elizabeth (deceased), James, Martha, who resides in Ohio and is now in her eighty-fifth year; Stephen R. (deceased), who was a clergyman and a missionary to Africa for some time, and died in Princeton, N.J.; Henry, Charles, Mary A. (deceased), and Henry, who was reared on the homestead of his father and worked on the farm. He has been a resident of Upper Makefield township since 1813. In 1870 he moved to where he now lives. He owns this and another very fine farm in the same township, both places being finely improved. He was married October 9, 1833, to Lydia, daughter of Adrian and Lena (Craven) Cornell. Mr. and Mrs. Wynkoop are the parents of seven children: Louisa A., wife of James Jamison; Ellen, Mary, Henry, and Harriet, wife of Abraham Quick, living; and Stephen R. and David, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Wynkoop are members of the Presbyterian church. He has been an elder in the Thompson Memorial church, Solebury township, for forty-five years. He is an intelligent old gentleman, and a man of enterprise and integrity.



    Page last updated:Monday July 07, 2008
If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    


If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    
 PA State Coordinator:
Joe Patterson
Bucks County Coordinator: and
Web Page Developer
Nancy C. Janyszeski


All copyright laws are observed to the best of our ability. However if you feel something is on the site and infringes on copyright laws please contact me and let me know.

Use of information is for Personal Genealogical purposes only.  Commercial publication of any such information is prohibited. All text and images are copyright by said contributors.

Return to the Bucks County PaGenWeb Main Page or use your Back Button

Copyright © by Nancy C. Janyszeski 2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010