• Home • Up • CEMETERIES • CHURCHES • HISTORY • HOME PAGES • LAND RECORDS • LINKS • LOOKUPS • MAPS • MILITARY • MUNICIPALITIES • NEWS SOURCES • NEWSPAPERS • OBITUARIES • PICTURES • RECORDS • RESOURCES • SURNAMES • WHAT'S NEW •

 

CHAPTER XLIX.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES ó WARMINSTER.

JOSEPH BARNSLEY, farmer, P.O. Hartsville, is of English descent, his grandfather, John Barnsley, having emigrated from Yorkshire, England, about 1760. He accompanied his uncle, Thomas Barnsley, who was a major in the British army in the "60th Royal American regiment," and had fought in the French war under Lord Loudon in 1756. After the war he resigned his commission, and went back to England, whence he returned with his wife and nephew, and bought an estate of five hundred acres on the Neshaminy creek in what is now Bensalem township. Here he built a mansion, the bricks for which were brought from England. This house is yet standing, and is owned and occupied by Dr. Dingee. Major Barnsley died in 1771, his wife surviving him several years. They had no children, and the executors being tories, who were expatriated, the estate was not settled for several years, although the property had been sold in 1772. On final settlement the proceeds were divided among four heirs. John Barnsley received his portion in continental money, and not investing it at once, it became worthless. He was manager of the estate until the death of his aunt. He was married about the time of his uncleís death, and on the breaking out of the revolution, he became one of a committee in Bensalem to drive off the cattle to keep them from the British. In January, 1777, he was with Washingtonís army in the night march from Trenton to Princeton. His team was impressed to haul ammunition, and in the battle of Princeton he was ordered by Washington in person to drive along the line to supply the soldiers. His time expiring shortly after, he came home, and suffered great hardships on the way. He followed farming in Bensalem for several years, finally buying property in Newtown, where he lived until his death, February 2, 1796. His wife was Elizabeth Van Court, whose ancestors were French Huguenots, originally called De Court. She was born in Huntington Valley, Montgomery county, in 1751 and died, in 1824. Their son William, the father of our subject, was born in Bensalem township, November 8, 1775. He was reared to farming, and lived with his father at Newtown until his marriage, January 21, 1808. He lived in Newtown until 1831, when he bought a farm in Huntington Valley, where he remained until his death in 1848, aged 72 years. He was an industrious, hard-working man, and accumulated a competence, leaving a farm to each of his three sons, besides other property. His wife was Jane Van Horn, born in Lower Makefield, in 1783, who died in 1861. Their children were: Mary, John, Thomas C., and Joseph. His brother John remained on the homestead farm in Newtown, where he lived until his decease, January 11, 1880. He followed surveying and held the office of magistrate for thirty-five years. In September, 1835, he was married to Mary Hough, a cousin to General Grant; she still survives him. He left seven children, two sons and five daughters. Thomas C. Barnsley lived on the Huntington farm until his death, September 6, 1866. He left five children, three Sons and two daughters. Mary never married, and is still living. Joseph was born June 9, 1820, and lived on the farm which he inherited in Warminster township, from 1845 to 1868, when he was made U.S. Revenue, collector, and removed to Doylestown, and on the expiration of his term removed to the place where he now lives. In 1858, 1859 and 1860 he was elected to the state legislature. He was the only republican ever elected in this county for three successive terms. On January 16, 1847, he was married to Lydia H. Walton, of this township, who was born November 28, 1826. They had no issue. Mr. Barnsley is one of the best known citizens of the township.

JOHN BETTS, P.O. Horsham, Pa. This gentlemanís ancestors on both sides were of English origin, coming here about the time of Penn. For several generations they were residents of Solebury and Buckingham townships, where Thomas Betts, the great-grandfather of our subject, lived. He died in Newtown in 1747. His son Thomas was grandfather of John. He was married to Sarah, daughter of William and Rebecca Smith, who was a descendant of William Smith, formerly of Yorkshire, England, who came to this country in 1690. Thomas Betts died in Buckingham in 1783, and his wife Sarah died in the same place, in 1804. They had eleven children, all now deceased, one of whom, Stephen, was father of our subject. He was born 5th mo., 31st, 1758. He learned the trade of blacksmith, at which he worked until middle age, when he bought a farm in Solebury township, on which he lived till his death, on 11th mo., 19th, 1834. He was an industrious man, and brought his family up in the same way. Like his ancestors, he was a member of the Society of Friends, and was a diligent attendant at meeting. His wife was Hannah, daughter of Crispin and Martha Blackfan, who were likewise Friends, and also of English descent. She was born 12th mo., 20th, 1765, and died 5th mo., 31st, 1843. They had nine children, all but two of whom are now deceased, viz: Letitia, wife of Joseph Reeder, living near New Hope, Solebury township, and John (the subject of this sketch), who was born 8th mo., 10th, 1804. He was reared a farmer, and though he never learned a trade, was by instinct a natural mechanic, and could turn his hand to almost any branch of mechanical industry. He lived on his fatherís farm until 1836, when he bought the farm in Warminster, which has since been his home. Here he carried on his farm until twenty years ago, when he retired, and is now living in a new house which he built for himself on a part of his land. Mr. Betts has been twice married, first to Sarah C., daughter of John and Rachel Malone, born 5th mo., 20th, 1810, who died 1st mo., 27th, 1858. To this marriage five children were born: Mary M. and Rachel L., deceased; Charles M., who is now in the lumber business in, Philadelphia, and who served all through the civil war, enlisting as a private, and being promoted through the several grades to lieut.-colonel in command of his regiment at the close of the war; Edward T., who is also in the lumber business in Buffalo, N.Y.; and B. Frank, who is a physician in Philadelphia. Having been elected a professor in the Hahnemann medical college of Philadelphia early in his professional career, he still remains connected with that institution as professor of diseases of women and children, to which branch of medical practice he devotes his time and attention almost exclusively. On 10th mo., 16th, 1862, Mr. Betts was married to Beulah, daughter of Hannah and Benjamin Walker. She was born in Solebury township, 10th mo., 15th, 1815. Mr. Betts has never aspired to office other than those forced on him by his neighbors. Like all his relatives, he is a consistent member of the Society of Friends, and was for many years an overseer of the Horsham meeting. Along life of industry, honesty and uprightness has gained the respect and esteem of his fellow-men, and has entitled him to the well-earned rest and comfort he now enjoys. With a sufficiency of this worldís goods, a family well settled in life, and an affectionate wife, the evening of his life is passing peacefully away.

WILMER W. CARR; merchant, P.O Breadysville, is a grandson of Simeon Carr, and on his motherís side of Miles Carver, both of whom were residents of Bucks county, and are buried in the burying-ground attached to the Wrightstown Friendsí meeting-house. Simeon Carr was a. farmer, owning a place in Solebury township. He died March 3, 1885, at Center Hill, in that township, at the extreme age of 94. He was twice married, his first wife being Hannah Montgomery. His second wife was Margaret Randall, who died eighteen years prior to her husband. The children were all the issue of the first marriage, the eldest son being Joseph Montgomery Carr, who was born in Buckingham township in 1823. He was reared a farmer, and at his marriage began for himself on a place in Buckingham belonging to his father, and a few years later bought a farm near Forest Grove, where he lived for about twelve years, when he sold it and bought another in Warrington township, staying there three years, when he bought the store property at Warrington Square. Later he left there and bought the property where his son, Wilmer W., now carries on business. In 1886 he opened a store in Philadelphia. His wife is Beulah Carver, who was born in Buckingham township in 1825. To their union seven children have been born: Jennie C., Anna Rebecca, Mary Emma, Ella, Charles and Lindfield, and Wilmer W., the oldest, who was born January 18, 1850, in Buckingham township. He received his education at the public schools, and at the Tennent school in Warwick township, where he graduated in 1867. After leaving school he went into his fatherís store, and worked for him until 1883, when, in connection with Newton Ely, he bought the business, and two years later bought his partnerís interest, and has since carried on the business himself. On December 4, 1872, he was married to Sarah, daughter of James McKinstry, of Warrington township. She was born January 18, 1849. To their union four children have been born: Irving, Joseph Monroe, Wilmer W., and Spencer G. Mr. Carr belongs to the Neshaminy Tribe of Red Men, No. 160, of Ivyland, and he and his wife are members of the Neshaminy church of Warwick. Among those who know him he bears an irreproachable character for integrity and uprightness.

CORNELIUS CARROLL, retired farmer, P.O. Warminster, is not only himself one of the oldest residents of the county, but is the representative of one of the oldest families in the county. The family are of Scotch-Irish and Dutch descent, and believed to be connections of Carroll of Carrollton. The first of the name to come to this township was James Carroll, who in 1748 purchased from John Baldwin the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch, whose great-grandfather he was. He died about the close of the last century. His son was Bernard Carroll, who inherited the farm and lived there all his life, dying there about 1815. His son, Isaac, father of our subject, was born June 30, 1763, in the house where all his life he made his home, and died there on October 26, 1850. He was a temperate, moral man, especially noted for a kind disposition and equable temper. His wife was Elizabeth Lefferts, born June 30, 1773, who died on the anniversary of her birth in 1863. They had eight children, the only survivors being Elizabeth and Cornelius, who was born January 9, 1810. He was brought up to farming, and on the death of his father bought the home farm from the estate, and has ever since lived on it. He has always been an active, industrious man, until afflicted with blindness, about five years ago. He held the office of school director for many years, and was supervisor of his native township. On December 27, 1837, he was married to Miss Mary Magee, who was born in Horsham township, Montgomery county, August 15, 1812, and is still an active, energetic woman. To their union three children have been horn: Annie Maria, Matilde and George W., all residing with their parents. The son was educated in Freeland seminary, and afterward graduated at Eastmanís Commercial college, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The daughters received their education at Roseland Female seminary at Hartsville. The family is one of the oldest, best known, and most respected in the county.

R. HENDERSON DARRAH, farmer, P.O. Hartsville, is a descendant of Thomas and Mary Darrah, who came to this country from Londonderry, Ireland, first settling in Montgomery county, and finally in 1743 in Bedminster township, this county, where they died. Henry Darrah, the son of Thomas, lived in that part of New Britain now included in Warrington township, some time before the revolutionary war, in which he took part, being a captain of a company of militia in this county. His company seems to have been what were then known as "minute men," who were liable to be called on in any emergency. His son James was the grandfather of R.H. He was born in New Britain township, and lived and died on the farm, in this township, now owned by John M. Darrah, his grandson. He died February 17, 1842, aged 78 years. He was twice married, his first wife being Rachel Henderson, and his second wife Rebecca McCrea. His children, both by his first wife, were Robert and Henry. The latter was married to Martha Stinson, and lived where our subject now lives, but removed to Addisville, in this county, several years before his death, and died there on August 10, 1849, aged 58 years. His wife died September 3, 1877, aged 86 years. Robert Darrah, father of R.H., was born February 8, 1789, and died August 5, 1860. He was always a farmer, who stood high in the community and acquired a competence. He was married on November 4, 1819, to Catherine Galt, who was born in Lancaster county, January 25, 1799, and who still lives in the house which her husband built in 1850, and where he died. To their union nine children have been born: James A., who was a Presbyterian minister, died in Zanesville, Ohio, February 24, 1882, aged 61; Rachel H., who was the wife of Reverend D.K. Turner, and is deceased; Eliza M., wife of Dr. Freeland, of Lancaster county; Emily, widow of Joseph Nichols, now living with her mother; Rebecca, now wife of Reverend D.K. Turner; Mary A., who died unmarried; John M., living in Warwick township; Kate, who is wife of Theodore R. Graham, living in Philadelphia; and R. Henderson, who was born on the homestead in this township, on February 18, 1842. He was but 8 years old when his father retired, and he thereafter attended school in the neighborhood until he was 16 years of age, when he entered the Washington institute, at Columbia, Lancaster county, and on his return was engaged in farming until 1862; when, at the age of 20, he enlisted in Captain Samuel Croasdaleís company, which was made company C of the 128th regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, of which he was appointed first sergeant. He was afterward promoted to second lieutenant and subsequently to first lieutenant. Returning at the end of nine months, when his time expired, he resumed farming, and in 1863, when Lee invaded Pennsylvania, he joined George Hartís company of emergency men, serving for about two months. Again coming home, he resumed work on his motherís place until 1866, when he removed to the farm inherited from his father, where he has since made his home. January 15, 1868, he married Miss Lizzie W. Dyer, who was born at Dyerstown, near Doylestown. To their union three children have been born: Anna, Catherine and Archibald. Mr. Darrah is a member of Doylestown lodge, No. 245, F. and A.M. He and his wife are members of the Neshaminy church, of Warwick, of which he is an elder. His fellow-citizens speak of his character for probity and trustworthiness in the highest terms.

SAMUEL E. FETTER, retired, P.O. Breadyville, is of German descent. His grandfather, Casper Fetter, was a farmer in Moreland township, Montgomery county, where he died, and where his son, George C., father of our subject was born, in 1789. He bought a farm in this township, near Johnsville, but his father dying the same year, he bought the old homestead in Montgomery county and removed there, owning it until his death, which occurred in Northampton township in 1864, while on a visit there. He was a good moral man, and was respected by his neighbors. His wife was Cornelia Montanye, who was born about 1804, and died in 1859. They had twelve children, of whom seven are now living. Samuel was born March 12, 1823, in Moreland township. He was reared a farmer, and on his marriage rented a farm in Southampton township, where he stayed seven years, and then bought the farm in Warminster township, where he lived for thirty-four years, retiring in the spring of 1887 to a place in Ivyland, where he expects to pass the remainder of his days. On November 20, 1845, he was married to Jane Elizabeth Twining, who was born in Southampton township, August 2, 1828. To their union six children have been born: Newton Cromwell, who is pastor of the Baptist church at New Britain; George Campbell, who is a merchant in Chicago; Isaac Comly, who is a practising lawyer in Reading, Pa.; Caroline Lewars and Eugene Chalmer, residing with their parents, and Janette Cornell, who died in 1872, when sixteen years old. Mr. Fetter has always been an industrious, hard-working man, and has been well aided and assisted by his wife. Together they have reared and educated an excellent family. Beginning life with no advantages, he determined to give his children every facility for education, and the result has been a gratifying one. The family are members of the Dutch Reformed church at Churchville.

COMLY HAMPTON, retired, P.O. Johnsville, is the descendant of early settlers, the pioneer of the family coming here from England in the early part of the last century, and settling near Wrightstown, where he built the old "Anchor tavern," which is yet in existence. He was noted as having planted the first grafted orchard in the county. His son Benjamin, born in that place, was grandfather of our subject. He was a member of the Society of Friends, and was all his lifetime a farmer. His son, Joseph, father of Comly, was born at Wrightstown, September 1, 1794. He was also a farmer, locating after his marriage at Byberry in Philadelphia county. A few years later he bought a farm in Buckingham township, where he lived until his death. Like his father he was a Friend, and was an active and consistent member of the society. His wife was Rebecca Quimby, a daughter of Joab Quimby. She was born in 1793, and died in 1880. Their children were: Levi, Joseph, Simeon, and Edward, deceased; and Sarah, Quimby, Martha, Comly, Elizabeth, Anna, and Mary, living. Comly was born January 8, 1828, in Buckingham. In 1849 he moved to the farm which then belonged to his father. At the death of the latter, which occurred September 13, 1875, he hired the farm by paying out a certain portion to the other heirs. Here he continued to live until 1883, when he retired and moved into Johnsville. On November 9, 1848, he married Caroline M. Watson, daughter of Stacy and Elizabeth Watson, of Middletown township. She was born in Falls township, January 30, 1825. To their union eight children were born: Maria L., living in Warrington township; Rebecca H., living with her parents; S. Watson, married to Mary Heaton, and living on his fatherís farm; Elizabeth W., deceased, who was the wife of Joseph Carrell, of Warrington township; Alwida A., married Levi Stratton, Jr., of Philadelphia, where she now resides; Anson B., who died in infancy; Charles J., who is a resident of California, and Anson B., who lives in Philadelphia. Mr. Hampton is a member of the Society of Friends. He is a director of the Hatboro National, bank, has held several township offices, and is regarded as a solid substantial citizen in the township. In politics he is a republican.

JOSEPH HART, retired, P.O. Davisville, is a descendant of one of the oldest families in the township. The first of the family to come to this country was John Hart, who was born in Whitney, Oxfordshire, England, in 1651, and came to this country with William Penn, from whom he purchased one thousand acres of land, which was partly located in Byberry township and partly in this township, both then being in Philadelphia county. He was a member of the first general assembly of the colony. He married Susannah Rush. He subsequently removed to Warminster, where he died in 1714. His grandson, Joseph, born September 1, 1715, was the great-grandfather of our subject. He was a resident of Warminster township, where he owned a farm of about three hundred and fifty acres. The stone house in which he lived is now occupied by Comly Walker. October 9, 1740, he married Elizabeth Collet. He entered into public life in 1749. For several years he had been a leading member of the Southampton Baptist church, frequently writing the annual letter. In 1746 he was ordained deacon. In 1749 Governor Hamilton commissioned him sheriff of Bucks county. In 1747 he was appointed justice of the peace, and in 1764 was commissioned justice of the quarter sessions and common pleas. He was one of the founders of the Union library of Hatboro. Mr. Hart was probably the foremost, man in Bucks county in moulding public opinion and sustaining his country during the revolutionary contest. He was appointed chairman of the committee of safety, and in 1776 he took command of a regiment of Bucks county militia serving in New Jersey. July 26th of that year he was elected colonel of the second battalion. Colonel Hart was elected a member of the supreme executive council of Pennsylvania for Bucks county, and he was also register of Bucks county. The battle of the Crooked Billet in 1778 was partly fought on his plantation. He died at his residence in Warminster, February 25, 1788. His wife died February 19, 1788. Colonel Joseph Hart had a son, John, who had quite a taste for poetry. Joseph, sixth son of Joseph and, Elizabeth Hart, married Ann Folwell, Christmas, 1783. His wife survived him thirty years. He was a member of the senate of Pennsylvania as early as 1804. It was through his efforts that the county-seat was removed from Newtown to Doylestown. His son, John, father of our subject, was born in Warminster, April 9, 1787, and married Mary Horner, March 10, 1810, They had eight children: Joseph, William, Ann Eliza, James (entered the army in the 1st New Jersey cavalry, rising to the rank of major, and serving with great distinction. He was killed March 31, 1865, near Dinwiddie Court House, Va., while leading his men. His commanding officer says: "Hart led his men as he always did, with signal courage, great skill, and telling effect"), George, Benjamin F., and Thompson Darrah, deceased, and Mary Darrah, deceased. Joseph was born January 21, 1811. He was early in life crippled by palsy, and was educated for a teacher, being three years in Jefferson college, at Canonsburg, Pa. On his return he was engaged in teaching for over thirty years. March 18, 1847, he was married to Jane, daughter of William and Ellen Van Sant. She died in 1882. Their children are: George W., Mary Ellen (died in infancy), Charles Howard, and Ella Sickel. George W. was born October 25, 1843, and died September 14, 1879, his death being caused by a kick from a horse. Charles Howard died November 7, 1881. He was a young man of remarkable intellect, being a close reader and a deep thinker. He was a regular correspondent of several leading newspapers. Like his father he was a teacher, and at the time of his death, which resulted from typhoid fever, was teaching the Fox Chase school, Philadelphia county. Ella Sickel was also engaged in teaching, serving seven years in Horsham township, Montgomery county. On giving up teaching Mr. Hart bought a small farm in this township, which he cultivates. Notwithstanding his early afflictions, he has preserved a good degree of health, and is with his daughter very comfortably situated, the latter devoting her time to her father.

CHARLES KIRK, retired, P.O. Johnsville, is the oldest male resident in the township, as well as one of the best known citizens. His ancestors were of English origin, his great-great-grandfather, John Kirk, coming here in 1686 from Derbyshire, England, settling in Upper Darby, then Chester county, now Delaware county. In 1687 he married Joan Ellet and had eleven children. He died in 1705 and his wife remarried and lived thirty years later. His second son, John, was the great-grandfather of Charles. He settled in Abington township in 1712, where he purchased two hundred acres of land for $260, subsequently buying five hundred acres more adjoining on which Dreshertown now stands. In 1722 he married Sarah, daughter of Rynear Tyson, one of the German Friends. He was a mason and built the Park house for Governor Keith. He also built in 1735 a large stone house, remodelled in 1832, and, yet in possession of the family. His son Jacob was grandfather of Charles. He and his twin brother, Isaac, lived on adjoining farms and each passed the age of 90 years, Jacob being 93 and dying in the house in which he had been born in 1735. His death occurred in 1829. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of John Cleaver, of Bristol township, who died several years prior to her husband. Their children were: Jesse, Sarah, Elizabeth, Jacob, Isaac and John, all deceased. Jacob, the father of Charles, was born in Abington township on the original homestead 9th mo., 23d, 1769. He married Rebecca, daughter of Charles and Phebe Iredell, of Horsham township, in 1792. She was born 10th mo., 19th, 1772. Jacob Kirk died in 1830. His wife died 9th mo., 6th, 1816. Their children were: Phebe, Sarah, Ruth, Rebecca, Aaron, Samuel, Elizabeth, Hannah, Abraham and Rachel, all deceased. The only survivor is Charles, who was born 12th mo., 10th, 1800, on the part of the old homestead inherited by his father. His occupation has been that of a farmer. On his marriage he began farming for himself in Bristol township, Philadelphia county, and in 1841 he bought and removed to the farm in this township, which has since been his home. He has been twice married, his first wife being Elizabeth, daughter of Jonathan and Hannah Conard, of Horsham, Montgomery county, to whom he was married on 12th; mo., 13th, 1827. She was born 3d mo., 6th, 1798, and died 10th mo., 6th, 1871. To their union two children were born. Mr. Kirkís second wife is Harriet E., daughter of Nehemiah and Eliza Boisnard Stockly, of Accomac county, Va. She was born 3d mo., 16th, 1818. They have no issue. Mr. Kirkís two children are: William J., who was born 5th mo., 5th, 1832, and is married to Elizabeth, daughter of Watson and Margaret H. Twining, of this township, and Hannah C., who was born 11th mo., 2 1st, 1838, and is the wife of Samuel Davis, of this township. Mr. Kirk is emphatically a self-made man, who, by perseverance and industry, has accumulated a competence. In the neighborhood in which so many of his years have been spent many true stories have been told of his self-sacrifice, generosity and disinterestedness. Of unblemished honesty and integrity he is held in the highest esteem by all who know him. He has been guardian, executor and administrator of many estates, his neighbors insisting on his accepting the trusts. Like his ancestors Mr. Kirk is a consistent and intelligent member of the Society of Friends, crossing the mountains six times on religious duties. He was for many years an overseer and has long been an elder of the Horsham monthly meeting. The fruits of such a life as Mr. Kirk has spent are not alone gathered in this world. On the 5th of 12th month, 1853, Mr. Kirk took his horses and carriage and accompanied Elizabeth Newport and her companion on a mission of gospel love to the slaveholders. With the exception of Harperís Ferry and Charlestown they held religious meetings in every town and village from the northern part of Baltimore county Md., through Western Virginia and into Kentucky as far as Greenupsburg. At Maysville, Kentucky, he was relieved by others from further service and he proceeded by steamboat to Pittsburg and from there to his home in his own conveyance. It was a noble feeling that caused Mr. Kirk to visit the southern part of our country and plead for the poor and oppressed and endeavor in the peaceable spirit of the gospel to convince those who held their fellow-men in bondage of the wrong they were committing. Mr. Kirk says: "Had it not been that we had continued evidence of divine care and that the Good Spirit was ever near to aid us it would have been impossible for us to have endured either physically or spiritually the trials through which we had to pass."

JOSEPH LUFF, deceased, was born in Tinicum township April 15, 1826, and died in Northampton April 3, 1871. His father was David Luff, who married Sarah Garris and who died in Philadelphia in July, 1874. Their children were: Catherine, Anna, Rebecca, Elmira and Samuel, now living, and Alfred, Sarah and Joseph, deceased. In 1859 he bought a farm in Northampton township, on which he lived until his death. He was an intelligent, shrewd man, who in his later years endeavored by studious application to make up for his early disadvantages. On October 17, 1861, he married Alice McDowell, who was born in West Philadelphia November 24, 1832. Mr. and Mrs. Luff had four children: Susannah, Sallie, Lizzie and Samuel. After her husbandís death Mrs. Luff sold the farm in Northampton township and bought the one which is now her home. With rare energy and good judgment she has carried on her farm and brought her family up.

JESSE R. MCKINSTRY, farmer, P.O. Neshaminy, Pa., is a son of James McKinstry, who was a native of New Britain. James McKinstry was born in 1798, and died in 1877. He learned the trade of a carpenter, at which he worked in New Britain, but about the time of his marriage bought a farm in Warrington township, now owned by Nathan Wiser. This farm he subsequently sold, and bought another on the Doylestown turnpike, where he lived until his death. He was a member of the Neshaminy church, of Warwick, of which he was a trustee. His wife was Agnes, daughter of Jesse Rubencamp, of Warrington township. They had eight children: Robert, Mary Jane, William R., John, Catherine L., Sarah R., James and Jesse, the second son, who was born October 5, 1832, in Warrington township. He lived with his father until his marriage, when he rented farms in various places until 1868, when he bought and removed to the farm where he now lives. September 9, 1856, he was married to Annie, daughter of Samuel Robinson, who came from England when a boy, and at the time of his daughterís marriage was a resident of Warrington. He died in Doylestown in February, 1884, and his wife, Mary, in October, 1880. Mr. and Mrs. McKinstry have five children: James B., who is married to Miss Tillie Shively, daughter of Solomon Shively, of Tinicum, and lives in Trenton, N.J.; Samuel R., living in Philadelphia; Carrie Jane, Horace R. and Ella Gertrude, living with their parents. Mr. McKinstry has never held any office, but has given his entire attention to his farm. He is a member of Warrington lodge, No. 447, I.O.O.F. Mrs. McKinstry is a member of the Neshaminy church.

HENRY H. W. McCLUSKEY, farmer, P.O. Hartsville, is a grandson of William McCluskey, who emigrated from Ireland about the time of the revolution. He lived in a place called Octorara, in Lancaster county, afterward removing to Washington county, where he died. His son, John, was the father of our subject, and was born in Octorara, June 27, 1795. After attending the schools of the neighborhood, he entered Jefferson college, in Cannonsburg, Washington county, from which he graduated. He studied divinity at Princeton Theological seminary, and under Dr. Ely, a celebrated divine of Philadelphia, and was ordained to the ministry in 1827. He was soon called to the pastorate of the Presbyterian church at West Alexander, and also opened a school for boys and one for girls there. Here he remained for twenty-six years, when he was appointed agent for the board of education of the Presbyterian church at Steubenville, O., and a year later removed to Warwick township, where he had bought a farm. At this time he was also co-pastor with Rev. Jacob Belleville, of the Neshaminy church of Warminster. Three years later he removed to Smyrna, Del., being in charge of a church there for a year, when he opened a school for young ladies in West Philadelphia, which he kept for several years, when he retired on account of advancing age, dying in Philadelphia, March 31, 1880. Rev. John McCluskey, D.D., was a man of great force of character, and exercised a wonderful influence in the communities where he resided. He was especially interested in educational affairs, and was at one time offered the presidency of Washington college, which he declined, though he served on its board for years. On July 6, 1828, he was married to Miss Lydia Hall, of Lewes, Del., who was born September 27, 1800, and died May 25, 1885. Their children were: Mary E., wife of James Bateman, wool broker, of Phila.; Carrie, wife of Rev. S.S. Shriver, of Baltimore, Md.; Clement L.B., deceased, who was a lawyer in Phila.; Julia, wife of Rev. J.W. Lupton, of Clarksville, Tenn.; John, deceased; and Henry, who was born February 8, 1838, in West Alexander, Pa. He has always been a farmer, and on February 6, 1862, was married to Miss Caroline, daughter of John and Sarah Engart, who was born at Hartsville, July 10, 1841. Their only child was a daughter, Maggie S., who died in infancy. Mr. McCluskey and his wife are attendants at the Neshaminy church of Warminster. He stands high in the estimation of the community as a good citizen. In politics he is a republican.

FRANCIS E. MATLACK, retired, P.O. Warminster, is a grandson of Caleb Matlack, who was a resident of Holmesburg, Philadelphia county, where he died in 1793. His son Abraham, the father of our subject, was born at Holmesburg, and died in Petersburg, Va., in 1825. He was a carpenter by trade, and was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a man of excellent character. His wife was Elizabeth Elliot, of Philadelphia, who died before her husband, in Richmond, Va. She was buried in an old churchyard, which has since been deeded to the city of Richmond, and greatly improved and beautified. Their children were: Caroline, Mary Wiley, Caleb, and Francis E., who was born August 27, 1812, in Philadelphia. Being left an orphan at a very early age, he returned to Philadelphia, where he learned the trade of shoemaking, at which he worked till 1866, when he bought the farm in Warminster township, which has since been his home. In April, 1837, he was married to Miss Mary Titus whose parents were residents of Bristol. She was born near Doylestown in 1814, and died in July, 1881. To their union six children were born: Elizabeth, who died in infancy; Mary Elizabeth, unmarried, living with her father; Horace and Francis, both deceased; Caroline, married to Horace G. Phillips, Jr., living on her fatherís farm; and Francis second, who died in infancy. Mr. Matlack has always been an industrious, careful man, and is now enjoying the fruits of a life well spent. He is an attendant of the Neshaminy church of Warminster, and bears the repute of an upright man and a good neighbor.

JOSIAH. ROBERTS, farmer, P.O. Breadyville, is of Scotch and German extraction, the first of the name who came to this country being Joseph Roberts, who settled in Wrightstown township. He brought up a family of ten children: Joseph, Israel, Stacy, Phineas, Jonathan, Sarah, Lettisha, John, James and Jane. He was a farmer, and lived there until his death, nearly seventy years ago. His son Phineas, now deceased, was the father of our subject, and was born in Wrightstown township in 1780, and died in 1852. He worked on the farm in his youth, and afterward learned the trade of a wheelwright, at which he worked for many years, when he purchased a farm in Newtown township, on which he lived until his death. He was a thorough business man, and bore an excellent character among all who knew him, and by industry he had accumulated a competence. His wife was Jane Slack, who was born in Lower Makefield township in 1787, and died in March, 1875. Her grandfather was one of three brothers who came from Germany, and settled in this county. She was a worthy mate of her husband, a good wife and mother. They had five children: Joseph and Lewis were the oldest, and both are deceased; and Ephraim, born 2d mo., 14th, 1828; Edward, born 8th mo., 20th, 1830; and Josiah was born 7th mo., 27th, 1835, and was brought up to farming, and after leaving the public schools attended the Newtown classical academy, the Strasburg classical academy in Lancaster county, and other institutions, receiving a good education, which for a short time he utilized by teaching school in this state and in Ohio. In 1862 he began farming for himself on the homestead farm, which he sold five years later and bought a farm in Northampton township, on which he lived eight years. He sold this place and removed to Pineville, in Wrightstown township, selling there at the end of the year, when he bought a farm in Northampton township, on which he stayed nine years, and then bought the place at Breadyville, where he now lives, and on which he has erected a fine substantial house, with all improvements, and is there enjoying the fruits of a life of industry and care. On December 1, 1864, he was married to Miss Wilhelmina T. Worthington, who was born in Buckingham township, February 13, 1837. To their union two children have been born, one of whom died in infancy. The survivor is Anna S., who lives with her parents. Mr. Roberts has always given all his attention to his business, never entering into public affairs. He and his wife, like their ancestors, are Friends.

SAMUEL E. ROBINSON, hotel-keeper, P.O. Warminster, is a son of Samuel and Mary L. Robinson, both of whom came from England, the former in 1816. The family settled in Warrington township, but subsequently returned to England, with the exception of three sons and one daughter. All, are now deceased but the daughter. The father of our subject was a farmer, and after his marriage bought a farm in Warrington township, on which he lived until late in life, when he removed to Doylestown, where he died in February, 1884. His wife was Mary L. Sutton, who came from England with her parents, who settled in Buckingham township. She was born in 1800, and died in 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson had five children, all living: Jane, Emma, Anna, Edmund and Samuel E., who was born March 2, 1838, in Warrington township. He lived with his father until he was 29 years old, and for four years thereafter farmed the home place for himself. He then removed to Philadelphia, where he was in a hotel for four years, and in 1875 bought the hotel property in Warminster, with the farm adjoining. Mr. Robinson has been twice married, his first wife being Ellen G., daughter ofí Jacob Titus, of Warrington, to whom he was married in 1866. She died in 1869, leaving a daughter, Laura E., now living with her father. Mr. Robinsonís second wife is Mary A., daughter of Andrew Dudbridge, of Warwick township. They had one child, Mary Blanche. Mr. Robinson is a member of Neshaminy Tribe, No. 160, Improved Order of Red Men, of Ivyland, and of the A.O.U.W., of Hatboro.

DOUGLAS K. TURNER, clergyman, P.O. Hartsville, is of English descent, his ancestors having emigrated about 1630, settling in New Haven, Conn. Captain Nathaniel Turner was a sea captain before emigrating. His descendant, Jabez Turner, grandfather of our subject, was born in New Haven. He removed to Monticello, Ill., where he died, aged 92. His son Bela was father of Douglas K. He was born in New Haven, April 16, 1788, and died at Jackson, Mich., in 1879. In middle life he was steward for the asylum for the deaf and dumb at Hartford, holding that position for eleven years. His wife was Mary Nash, a descendant of an old family in New Haven. She was born in Stockbridge, Mass., May 4, 1794, and died in 1863, at Jackson, Mich. They had eight children, of whom Douglas K. was the fifth. He was born in Stockbridge, Mass., December 17, 1823. He attended the Hartford Grammar school until his sixteenth year, when he went to Yale college, where he graduated in 1843. For a year he taught school at Hartford, and then studied theology in the Theological seminaries of Andover, Mass., and New Haven, Conn. He was licensed to preach by the Hampden East Congregational association, of Massachusetts, in 1846, and in the same year came to Hartsville to teach a classical and select school. Afterward he was elected to the pastorate of the Neshaminy church at Warwick, filling the pulpit for twenty-five years with zeal and success, two hundred and seventy-two new members uniting with it while he was pastor. Mr. Turner has been twice married, first on May 14th, 1856, to Rachel H., daughter of Robert and Catherine Darrah, of this township, where she was born December 14, 1822. She died August 13, 1863. On May 28, 1868, Mr. Turner was married to Rebecca, a sister of his first wife, who was born March 7, 1833. They have no children. On April 20, 1873, he retired from the pastorate of the Neshaminy church, since which time he has been engaged in classical teaching. He is corresponding secretary of the Presbyterian Historical society, and is universally respected, not only for his long and useful Christian life, but for the excellent qualities which have gained him the esteem of all who know him.

GEORGE WARNER, farmer, P.O. Warminster, is a grandson of Amos Warner, who was a farmer in this township. His wife was Susanna Buckman, their only surviving child being Susanna, who is the wife of Ralph Smith, of Wrightstown. Those deceased are: Thomas, George, Silas and Croasdale, the father of our subject, who was born in 1804, and died at Wrightstown in 1871. He was reared to farming, and lived in Upper Makefield until late in life, when he retired to Wrightstown and died there. He was a member of the Society of Friends, and an upright man. His wife was Ann Wiggins. They had eight children: Mary Ellen, Susanna B., Ruth Ann, Jacob B., Joseph W., Emeline, Edward H. and George, who was born in Upper Makefield, January 30, 1841. He attended the Concordville seminary in Delaware county, and the Fairville institute. He taught school several years, but on his marriage began farming in Warminster township, where he has since lived. On January 29, 1880, he married Sallie J., daughter of Isaiah B. Ferry, who was formerly in business in Philadelphia, but is now retired. Mr. Warner formerly took an active interest in public affairs, but has never sought office. Among his neighbors he has the reputation of being an upright, honorable man.

HUTCHINSON WALKER, farmer, P.O. Hatboro, Pa. This gentlemanís ancestors came from England at the same time as William Penn. There were three brothers, one settling in Chester county, one going to Maryland, and the third buying three hundred acres of land in what is now Solesbury township. On this tract his descendants have lived for many years. The great-grandfather of Hutchinson was Robert Walker. He was born August 5, 1731, and was married to Mary Linton January 8, 1761, and afterward to Asenath Beans. He died October 22, 1806, his wife surviving until 1831. His son, Benjamin, the grandfather of our subject, was born March 12, 1779, his son Robert being the father of Hutchinson. He was born February 9, 1810, on the old homestead which his father had inherited. Three years after his marriage he removed to a farm he had bought in Buckingham township, and stayed there nine years, when he sold it and rented a farm for two years in Northampton, then removing to the farm in this township where his family now lives. He died February 5, 1878. Like his ancestors he was a member of the Society of Friends, and was one of the overseers of the meeting at Warminster. On March 11, 1841, he was married to Rebecca C. Hutchinson, daughter of Thomas T. and Esther Hutchinson, of Northampton township. She was born June 8, 1818, and is now living. To their union six children were born: Esther, Hutchinson, Sarah Ann, Mary, David and Hannah. Our subject was born March 14, 1844. He has always made farming his occupation, and worked for his father until the latterís death, since which time he has carried on the home farm in this township. On January 10, 1878, he married Catherine S., daughter of Cyrus and Margaret Cadwallader, of Newtown township. She was born November 28, 1847, and they have had six children: Margaret R., Arthur M. and Thomas C., living; and Robert M., Maud and Mabel, deceased. He is a member of the Neshaminy lodge, No. 160, Improved Order of Red Men, and of Hatboro lodge, No. 206, A.O.U.W., and belongs to the Society of Friends.

ANTHONY YERKES, or Yerkhas, the progenitor of the Yerkes family in America, was one of the first settlers of Germantown. He came from Germany between the years 1683 and 1700. December 28, 1703, he became one of the three burgesses of Germantown, but it was not until 1729 that he and Herman (a son) were declared by the assembly entitled to the rights and privileges of subjects of the king, although the act recites they then held land. Herman, the son of Anthony, was married in Christ church, Philadelphia, February 8, 1711, to Elizabeth Watts, and soon after moved to the region of the Pennypack creek, in Moreland township, Montgomery county. From this marriage eight sons were born, of whom the fourth, Herman, born January 18, 1721, was the progenitor of the Bucks county or Warminster branch. He married Mary Stroud, a Quaker lady from Chester county, and himself joined the Society of Friends. Their children became entitled by birth to the full right of membership in the Friendsí meeting. He purchased a large tract of land situated in Warminster township, Bucks county, principally from the Noble family, and settled there. These lands are nearly all now occupied by his descendants. The issue of their marriage was nine children born between 1750 and 1769, as follows: William (1st), Elizabeth, Catherine (intermarried with Reading Howell), Edward, Sarah (intermarried with John Huplit), Stephen, Harman and William (2d). Their descendants are quite numerous, but none of them excepting those coming through Harman the younger are now residents of Bucks county. This Harman, born July 25, 1769, married Margaret, the daughter of Andrew Long, Esq., and in time became the purchaser of the real estate of his father, together with other lands in Warminster township. His children born in Warminster township were: Mary, William, Andrew, Edward, Elizabeth, Clarissa, Edwin, Harman and Stephen, nine in number. Of these, Mary and Edward were unmarried. All are deceased except Harman, aged 80. He has a large family, all of whom reside in Montgomery county. Elizabeth married John C. Beans, a prominent citizen of Warminster township. Clarissa married Samuel Montanye, a son of Rev. Thomas B. Montanye. They left surviving them large and influential families, who still reside in the county, and upon the lands acquired by their grandfather. Andrew became the father of a large family, all of whom excepting Doctor H.P Yerkes, of Doylestown, have moved to Chester county and Philadelphia. Edwin left no children surviving him, and Stephen, the youngest, left six children, three of whom, Stephen, Harman and Alfred, reside in Bucks county. Of the children of John C. Beans and Elizabeth Beans, Anna Beans, Catherine Beans, Margaret Carrell, J. Johnson Beans, Esq., and Stacy B. Beans live in Bucks county. And of the children of Samuel Montanye and Clarissa (Yerkes), Thomas B. and Harman Y. Montanye, and Mary Kirk and Henry Y. Carrell reside in the county, all in Warminster township.

SILAS R. YERKE5, conductor, P.O. Breadyville, is a grandson of Jonathan Yerkes, who was a farmer in Moreland township, Montgomery county. The first of the family who came here located in Montgomery county, along the Pennypack creek, and a part of this land is yet in the hands of the family. Jonathan Yerkes and his wife both died in the, homestead in Moreland township, the former about thirty years ago, and the latter several years later. His family were: Edward, Charles, Eliza, deceased, George and Israel, the father of our subject, who was born on the old homestead in 1813, and died in 1885. He was an industrious man, of moral and religious principles, who was held in the highest esteem by those who knew him. His wife was Margaret Clayton, of Moreland township, who was born in June, 1813, and died December, 1865. Their children were: Mary, Charles, Jonathan, Hannah and Silas, who was born in Moreland township, Montgomery county, in September, 1848. He lived on the farm until 16 years of age, and for five years thereafter worked at milling; after which he went into the employ of the Reading railroad company as brakeman, being successively made baggageman and conductor of a first-class train, which position he now occupies. On October 14, 1874, he was married to Miss Mary Ella, daughter of Preston and Ann Price, of Doylestown. She was born in that place September 28, 1851. To their union five children were born: Maud, deceased; Anna G., Willis M., Silas B. and Elizabeth S. Mr. Yerkes is regarded as an upright young man of excellent character.

 

 
     
     
     
    Page last updated:Monday July 07, 2008
If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    

 

If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    
 PA State Coordinator:
Joe Patterson
Bucks County Coordinator: and
Web Page Developer
Nancy C. Janyszeski

NancyJanyszeski@yahoo.com
     
 

All copyright laws are observed to the best of our ability. However if you feel something is on the site and infringes on copyright laws please contact me and let me know.

Use of information is for Personal Genealogical purposes only.  Commercial publication of any such information is prohibited. All text and images are copyright by said contributors.

Return to the Bucks County PaGenWeb Main Page or use your Back Button

Copyright © by Nancy C. Janyszeski 2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010