Chapter XLII

Biographical Sketches – Richland




…dealer in agricultural implements, a stanch and conservative business man of Quakertown, was born February 28, 1829, in Saucon township, Lehigh county.  He is a son of Samuel and Lydia Ochs.  In 1856 he came to Quakertown and engaged in the mercantile business under the firm name of E. T. & M. Ochs, which co-partnership lasted until 1859, when his brother was succeeded by E. R. Antman, the new firm continuing until 1861, when Antman retired, and the business was continued by Mr. Ochs until January, 1883, when he sold out to J. H. Grove.  Since that time he has given his attention to the implement business, which he had commenced in 1877.  At the time of his coming to his place, and for several years afterward, he was the principal business man in this locality; but since the advent of the railroad the business has centered eastward toward the depot.  For several years he was connected with the post-office and for a time with the U. S. Revenue department.  In politics he is a republican, but has never sought political preferment.  He is not a member of any sect or society, yet in all enterprises for the advancement of the public good he has been found every ready to lend a helping hand, and, though unmarried, has shared his living with his friends.



…pastor, of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran church, P.O. Quakertown, was born June 26, 1850, in Cherryville, Northampton county, Pa., and is a son of Milton Ohl and his wife, Mary Elizabeth, a daughter of Alexander and Rebecca Shick. His father, a native of Lehigh county, came to Cherryville in 1847, where he has since resided and carried on the stove and tinware business.  The subject of our sketch received the education afforded by the common schools of his native place, and long before he had attained his majority had also thoroughly mastered his father’s trade – that of tinsmith.  He still prides himself on the fact that he is a skilled mechanic, at any time capable of earning a day’s wages at the bench.  In August, 1866, Mr. Ohl began a course of preparatory studies at Mercersburg college, remaining there until December of the following year.  In January, 1868, he entered the Freshman class at Muhlenberg college, Allentown, from which institution he graduated in June, 1871.  In September of that year he began the study of theology in the Lutheran Theological seminary at Philadelphia, graduating May 27, 1874.  On the 3rd of June following he was ordained to the ministry at the meeting of the Evangelical Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania, in the city of Lancaster, and at once located in his present field of labor, comprising St. John’s congregation at Quakertown, St. Paul’s at Applebachsville, in Haycock township and “Keller’s” in Bedminster township.  At the subsequent commencement of Muhlenberg college his alma mater also conferred upon him the degree of master of arts.  During his pastorate of thirteen years at Quakertown Mr. Ohl has had several calls to large city churches, and was twice offered professional positions, all of which he declined.  Since 1876 he has uninterruptedly served in the board of trustees of Muhlenberg college, and is now one of the special lecturers in that institution.  He has represented his synod in the general council of the Evangelical Lutheran church in North America, and is a member of that body’s church book committee, whose special work it has been and is to prepare the church’s liturgy, hymn-books, etc.  He is also chairman of the same body’s standing committee on Sunday school work, and was chairman of the committee that prepared the “Little Children’s Book” – a service, hymn and tune book for infant schools – and was chief editor of said work.  Mr. Ohl has devoted much time to the study of music, especially sacred music, and is an acknowledged authority on this subject in his church.  During most of his student years he served as organist for congregations at Mercersburg, Allentown and Philadelphia; and during his ministry has not only found time to write and lecture on church music, but has edited a number of musical and liturgical publications which have been received with great favor.  On March 10, 1873, Mr. Ohl was married to Olivia, daughter of the Rev. Christian R. Kessler, deceased, a prominent minister of the Reformed church, and founder of the Allentown seminary, which was subsequently merged into Muhlenberg college.  They are the parents of three children:  Hermine Elizabeth, Else Rebecca, and Frederick William.



…teacher, P.O. Quakertown, Pa., the efficient principal of the Maple seminary of Quakertown, was born December 8, 1853, in the village of Ingen, in the Netherlands, and came to America when fourteen years of age, with his parents John and Alida (Van Hattem) Ommeren.  They are residents of the county, and he lived with them till he started out to “paddle his own canoe.”  Upon his arrival in this country he applied himself diligently to the study of English, and in three years obtained a certificate and began teaching, at the age of 17.  He worked on a farm and after giving his father a portion of his wages, with the residue paid his board and tuition in preparing himself for his vocation.  At the age of 20 he engaged in merchandising at Fricks with a capital of $40, but having good credit he was enabled to stock his store and continued there successfully for five years.  The business not being congenial to his tastes he sold out and resumed teaching in Hilltown and New Britain townships.  In the fall of 1880 he came to Quakertown and has since been principal of the High school, and in charge of the schools of the borough, which under his management have been brought to a thriving and prosperous condition.  June 6, 1878, he was married to Emma R., daughter of Elias R. and Margaret (Gerhart) Heckler, natives of this county.  They have one child, Henrietta.  He is a member of the Reformed church and superintendent of the Sabbath school.  Mr. Ommeren has three brothers:  Yost, a wheelwright in Norristown; Peter, a farmer in Hilltown township; and Henry, a minister of the Reformed Episcopal church in Philadelphia.



…retired, P.O. Richlandtown, was born in 1805 in the county where he has always resided.  For thirty-eight years he followed the trade of a wheelwright, and afterward purchased the farm which is now his happy home.  He has never married.  His parents were George and Elizabeth Ort, the former dying in 1851 and the latter in 1856.  They had seven children, all of whom are deceased, except our subject and Mary, widow of Samuel Biehn.  Mrs. Biehn resides with her brother.  She has had five children, three of whom are living:  Daniel, Levi O., now treasurer of the county, and Mary (Geisinger).



…manufacturer, P.O. Richland Center, Pa.  Of the citizens of this place who have contributed to its prosperity is John A. Ozias, who was born September 6, 1836, in the city of Philadelphia, and is the eldest son of George and Margaret (Barr) Ozias.  During his youth and early boyhood his time was employed under the direction of his father, who carried on the lumber business.  He received the advantages of the city schools.  Attaining the years of manhood he embarked in the mercantile business in his native place, which he continued until 1859, when he sold out and removed to New Britain, Bucks county, where he carried on the coal and lumber business until 1865, when he removed to Warwick township and engaged in the milling business.  In 1867 he returned to New Britain and in 1869 became identified with Richland Center and purchased the interest of Smith & Himmelwright in the coal and lumber business, which he continued until 1886, when he sold out and is now engaged in the foundry and stove business.  In 1860 he was elected justice of the peace at New Britain, and soon after his advent to this place received the appointment to the same office and is now filling his third elected term.  In 1863 he was married to Amanda, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Snyder) Eckhart.  The children of this marriage are:  Estella, Carrie, Erwinna, Raymond, John and George.  Mr. Ozias is past master of Quakertown lodge, No. 512, F. & A. M., a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge No. 714, of the Knights of Pythias and of the Improved Order of Red Men, Secons tribe, No. 395.  He is a member of the Lutheran church and contributes to the support of other churches.



…retired, P.O. Quakertown, was born in this county in 1813.  His ancestor, Robert, son of Robert and Jane Penrose, was born in Yorkshire, England, moved to Ireland, in 1669 married Anna Russel, and had three children.  His son, Robert, born in Blackane in 1670, married Mary Clayton in 1695, and had thirteen children.  With part of his family he came to Pennsylvania in 1717.  His son, Robert, who was born in 1697, came to America after his father and about the year 1731 married Mary Heacock.  He had eleven children, one of whom, John, was born in Richland township in 1740, married Anna Roberts in 1764, and died in 1813.  He had ten children.  Evan, the ninth son, was born  in 1782, and was married to Rebecca Ball, by whom he had four children:  Jane, Aaron (deceased), Evan and Margaret (Mrs. Strawn).  Evan Penrose, the subject of this sketch, was born in this township in 1813 and in 1851 married Anna, daughter of George and Anna (Penrose) Hicks, of this county.  Five children have been born to them:  Charles, George and Howard, deceased; Mary Jane (Mrs. McDevitt, of Philadelphia), and William, who is on the old homestead, which has been in the Penrose family for over one hundred years.  Mr. Penrose’s occupation was always that of a farmer.



…P.O. Quakertown, was born on the old homestead in 1861, and in 1886 married Jane S., daughter of John and Elizabeth Trumbauer, of this township.  They have no children.  Mr. Penrose was the youngest son born to Evan and Anna R. (Hicks) Penrose, and whose ancestry is given in the sketch of Evan Penrose.  In 1886 he took possession of the farm.  He is a member of the Society of Friends, and in politics is a republican.



…clothing manufacturer, P.O. Richlandtown, was born in Montgomery county in 1840, was married in 1864 to Miss Caroline, daughter of William and Mary Weisner, of Lehigh county.  There were five children born to this union:  Charles (deceased), Emma Jane, Elizabeth Ann, William Henry and Harvey Allen.  Jonas and Elizabeth, father and mother of our subject, were natives of Montgomery county.  There were nine children born, of whom five are dead.  Elizabeth, the mother, died in 1851, and the father was married again three times, and is now living with his fourth wife.  Our subject, at the age of 18, commenced his business life as a clerk in a store.  In 1868 he had charge of a country store at Line Lexington, Bucks county.  Commencing business on a moderate scale at his present location, he has increased, since starting, from seventy-five to five hundred employees.  In connection with this enterprise, he superintends the farming of one hundred acres of land near the town of Richland.  He was elected minister of the German Baptist church in 1880.



…retired, P.O. Richland Center, was born December 16, 1827, in South Whitehall township, Lehigh county, and came to this county in 1857.  His father, George M. Reinhart, a native of Berks county, married Catherine Glick, and had by her four children, of whom our subject was the youngest.  He was reared to farming pursuits, and at the age of 16 left home, and began for himself, working on a farm, and receiving a good education.  He began teaching school, and clerked in stores, and in 1855 engaged in the mercantile business in Lehigh county.  Two years later he came to this county, and in Richland township opened a store, which he continued but one year, when he moved to Trumbauersville where he remained until 1875.  In 1858 he was appointed postmaster and in 1860 elected justice of the peace.  He served in that capacity until the fall of 1875, when he was elected sheriff of the county, and served one term.  He then returned to Trumbauersville, where he remained until August, 1883, when he came here.  He is not now actively engaged, but carries on a store in this place.  He was married October 24, 1854, to Susanna, daughter of Daniel and Susanna (Mangle) Hofford; they have two children:  a son named Hercules, and a daughter Vessie.  He is a member of the Lutheran church, and his wife of the Reformed church.



…P.O. Richland Center, pastor of the Richland town charge of the Evangelical Lutheran church, was born December 22, 1853, in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county, and is a son of Daniel and Edith (Weidner) Reiter, both of whose families emigrated from Germany prior to the revolution, and settled in this portion of the state.  The Weidners settled in Bucks, while the Reiters located in Montgomery county.  Daniel Henry, the subject of this sketch, received the advantages offered by the common schools of his neighborhood, and assisted his father in the management of the details about his mill, and at the age of 16 left home, and attended the Washington Hall academy.  While there he fitted himself for teaching, and taught for two years in his native township.  He entered the academical department at Muhlenberg college at the age of 19, and at the age of 21 the freshman class, and was graduated in 1878.  In the fall of the same year he entered the Theological seminary, was graduated in the spring of 1881, was ordained at Pottstown immediately after, and in July of the same year accepted the pastorate of the Richland town charge, embracing four congregations, viz., St. John’s, at Richlandtown; Zion’s of Zion Hill; Christ’s at Trumbauersville, and Leidy’s church of Franconia, Montgomery county, which he supplies by appointment, and all of which he has under his immediate care.  On March 27, 1883, he was married to Emma C., daughter of Rev. S. K. Gross, whose wife was Mary Wolf.  They have one child, Frederick Adolphus.



…retired, P.O. Quakertown.  The Roberts family were pioneers of Bucks county.  The oldest male representative of the family name now in this county is Milton Roberts, who was born in Richland township November 10, 1821.  He was the second son of William C. and Elizabeth (Strawn) Roberts.  William C. was born in Milford township in 1788, and was a son of David Roberts, whose wife was Elizabeth Chilcott, born at Oley, Berks county, this state.  David was a son of Samuel Roberts, the pioneer of the name, who came from Wales to this country, settling in Milford township.  His children were Enoch, David, Abel, and two daughters.  To David Roberts and Elizabeth Chilcott were born:  Margaret, Samuel, William, Elizabeth and Mary.  Mary died unmarried, the others reared families.  Margaret married Samuel Johnson, settled in Richland township and had two children:  Abigail (Heller) and David.  William married Elizabeth, daughter of William Strawn, settled in Richland township one mile south of Quakertown, and engaged in farming pursuits.  He brought up a family of four children, viz., Margaretta, David, Milton and Chilcott.  Margaretta married A. Moore, and resides in Philadelphia.  David married Eliza A. Ball, and reared three daughters, Sarah J., Elizabeth and Emma.  Chilcott had one daughter, who resides in Philadelphia.  The father died in March, 1862, and his wife died in 1825.  Milton was brought up to farming, and at the age of 17 went to Trumbauersville, and there began learning the wagon-maker’s trade, which he finally completed, and set up the trade on the homestead, where his father built him a shop.  He followed the business for seven years, then on account of failing health he engaged in farming.  He was married in March, 1849, to Missouri, daughter of Joshua and Caroline (Green) Foulke.  She died March 22, 1867.  Their children were Edward F., Harry, David and Ellen.  Edward F. went to Philadelphia in 1870, and has never been heard from since.  Harry resides in Kansas.  David is a stone driller at Reading.  Ellen lives in Reading.  Milton Roberts retired from active business in 1851.



…farmer, P.O. Richland Center, was born in this county in 1843.  Henry Rosenberger, his grandfather, was a native of this county.  Samuel, his father, and Mary Licey, his mother, were the parents of nine children, two of whom are deceased.  The father died in 1875, and the mother is still living, at the age of 75.  Our subject was the second son.  He was married in 1879 to Hester, daughter of Jacob and Mary Grose, of New York state.   They had three children:  Mamie, Laura and Lottie, all deceased.  Mr. Rosenberger has always been a “tiller of the soil,” and purchased the property where he now resides in 1876.



…merchant, P.O. Richland Center.  One of the business men of Bucks county, whose success is due to their own individual efforts, is John Zeigler Rufe, who was born in the county.  His early life was not marked by any especial advantages.  Though reared on the farm he, after attaining his manhood, gave his attention to merchandising; first in a small way at Erwinna, in this county, having a partner whose interest he afterward purchased, and conducted the business alone until 1881, when on account of failing health he discontinued it. In 1883 he came to Richland Center and purchased the property which he now owns on the corner of Hellertown and East Broad streets, where he has since carried on a successful business, keeping a general stock of merchandise, notions, etc.  By fair dealing and attention to the wants of his customers he has built up a flourishing trade.  His wife’s maiden name was Williams, and their marriage has been blessed with two children:  a son and a daughter.  Though not a member of any church, he is a liberal supporter of the gospel and of public enterprises.



…retired merchant, P.O. Richland Center, was born August 20, 1821, in Bedminster township, this county, and is a son of George and Esther (Fluck) Sheetz.  His grandfather, Conrad, came from Germany and settled in Philadelphia, where he reared a family of children, among whom was George, the father of Edwin.  George followed the trade of hatter in Bedminster township, and afterward engaged in teaching.  His children were:  William, Francis, Reuben, Jacob, Edwin F., Charles, Samuel, Albert and Eliza.  All of them reside in Bucks county except Francis, and he resides in Montgomery county.  Eliza is the wife of Aaron Fullmer, of Rockhill township.  Edwin F. remained at home until he was ten years of age.  His father was unable to give his sons a financial start in life, so Edwin at the age of ten was bound out for his board and clothes until eighteen years of age.  Each of the sons was required to learn a mechanical trade, and Edwin chose that of carpenter, at which he worked for about four years, and then decided to engage in merchandising.  At the age of 22, with a capital of $140.00, he began business in his native township, where he met with encouraging success, and in 1855 he came to Quakertown and purchased the property now owned by H. G. Ahlum on the corner of East Broad and Hellertown streets.  Here he opened a store and also engaged in the hotel business for a time, and the same year he built the brick building now owned by John Z. Rufe, and moved his goods to this place, renting his hotel property.  Here he continued for nearly twenty years, when he sold out to his son Oliver R. and Hiram Tice, and retired.  By honest and successful management he acquired a competence and a good name to support and comfort him in his declining days.  His wife was Catherine, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Weidemoyer) Rufe.  He has two children living, Oliver R. and Amanda; one son and one daughter died when they were between three and four years old, and were named Samuel R. and Mary Ellen.



…postmaster and merchant, P.O. Richland, was born in Bedminster township, February 6, 1828.  Conrad Sheetz, his grandfather, came at an early date from Germany.  George, a son of this pioneer, married Hester, a daughter of Frederick Fluck, and a native of this county.  By her he had eight sons and a daughter, all of whom are living.  Samuel, the subject of this sketch, was the eighth child.  In 1856 he was married to Mary Ann, daughter of Henry Ochs.  To these parents were form four children:  Clara Louisa (Mrs. Milton Stricker, of Philadelphia), Sarah Anna (deceased), Isabella and Emma.  The last two are at home.  It was at the age of fifteen years, with a common-school education, that Mr. Sheetz commenced his business career in the capacity of a clerk, which occupation he followed for six years.  At the expiration of this time he engaged in business in Haycock township for himself.  In 1852 he established his present place of business.  He has been prominently identified with the interests of the community, and has held various positions of trust.  He has been justice of the peace since April, 1864, and a director of the bank of Quakertown since its organization.   He has been as chool director for two terms, and in 1883 was appointed postmaster at Rich Hill. Mr. Sheetz is a democrat and a member of the German Reformed church.



…farmer and proprietor of a saw-mill, P.O. Quakertown, was born in this county in 1826, married in 1857 to Miss Eliza, daughter of Philip and Mary (Smith) Swartley, and has had four children:  Mary Jane (deceased), Annie E., John and Lewis.  The father of our subject died in 1858 and the mother in 1867.  The former was a native of Lehigh county, Pa., and the latter of Bucks.  Their children were:  Mary, deceased; Elizabeth and L. S.   Mr. Schleifer was born and reared on the farm which he now owns, took charge of the property in 1859, and is an honest, upright, industrious man.



…attorney-at-law, P.O. Richland Center, represents one of the early families of Richland township.  His great-great-grandfather, Joseph Schoch, came from Germany and settled in what is now Richland township, two miles southwest of Quakertown borough.  In 1802 one of his sons, Rudolph, purchased one hundred and thirty-seven acres of land in this township from one Jacob Smith, the consideration being £1,500.  Rudolph sold eighty acres of this to John Schoch, Sen., May 27, 1817, for £1,608.  In 1853 fifteen acres of this were purchased by John Schoch, Jr., father of William E., for $675.  Rudolph married a Miss Gross, and by her had the following children:  Jacob, John, Maria, Elizabeth, Daniel and Sarah.  Of the above, John, the grandfather of William E., married Hannah Nase, by whom he had five children that grew to maturity, viz., David, Reuben, John, Samuel and Hannah.  David, a bachelor, resides in Philadelphia, Reuben and John settled in Bucks county, Samuel removed to Lehigh county; Hannah married William Z. Reichenbach, settled in this county and finally removed to Montgomery.  John, the father of William E., was a tinsmith, and was married to Matilda Ehl, from Montgomery county.  They brought up four children:  William E., Hannah, Caroline and Allen E.   Hannah is the wife of Abraham Heft, and resides in Bethlehem; Caroline is the wife of Edwin S. Scheetz, and resides in Trumbauersville; Allen E. resides in Montgomery county.  William E. was reared in Richland township.  He graduated from the Keystone State Normal school in the spring of 1874, and afterward engaged in teaching.  In 1876 he was appointed deputy sheriff and served three years.  He then began reading law in the office of N. C. & J. D. James, in Doylestown, and was admitted to the bar June 13, 1881.  He opened an office in Quakertown, November 14, of the same year.  He was appointed justice of the peace March 8, 1883, but was elected the following spring, and has since served in that capacity.  He is a member of the Quakertown lodge, No. 512, A. Y. M.; Aquetong lodge, No. 193; and of Doylestown encampment, No. 35, I. O. O. F.



…cigar manufacturer, P.O. Quakertown, is one of the leading business men of the borough.  He was born February 24, 1841, in Richland township.  He was the only son of John Scholl and Euphemia Kichline.  His grandfather was John Scholl, who was born near Indian creek.  Our subject’s maternal grandfather was Jacob Kichline.  William was brought up on a farm and remained here until he was 22 years of age, and learned the cigar-maker’s trade thoroughly, and worked journey-work for several years.  In 1867 he engaged in business for himself in this township and located here in 1872, establishing the factory he now owns.  From a small beginning he has built up a good business, and employs about thirty hands, and is doing an excellent trade, all the result of his own endeavors.  He was married in 1864 to Leanna, daughter of Michael and Lovina (Kern) Blank.  He has six children living:  Henry, Lillorah, Emmarina, John F., Howard and Arthur.  Mr. Scholl is a member of the Reformed church at Trumbauersville, and a member of Secona Tribe, No. 263, Imp. O. of R. M., and is one of the highly respected citizens of the community.



…stove founder, P.O. Quakertown, is secretary and treasurer of the stove foundry of Quakertown.  He was born July 23, 1844, in Spring City borough, Chester county, and is the eldest son of Daniel M. and Alouisa Ann (Stickland) Scypes, the latter a daughter of Hon. Geo. Stickland, of Chester county.  In that county George grew to manhood, and before attaining his majority he left home November 15, 1862, and enlisted in company L, 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry, third brigade, and was one of Sheridan’s fearless riders, and served in all the skirmishes in which his command was engaged, except during the time of his confinement in the hospital recovering from a bullet wound received in the groin during the battle of the Wilderness.  He rejoined his command November 11, 1864, and continued with his regiment until the close of the war, and upon his return from service remained in his native county until the year following, when he came to Quakertown and was employed by Thomas, Roberts, Stevenson & Co., proprietors of the foundry, where he learned the trade of stove finishing.  He continued in their employ fifteen years, when, as a fitting reward for his worth and integrity, he was made a partner in the new firm which has since existed as Roberts, Scypes & Co., organized October 13, 1881, and which has become one of the leading manufacturing interests in the county, employing about seventy men. June 10, 1869, he was married to Mattie, daughter of Enos Roberts, and has three children:  Robert S., May and Emma.  He has always been a stanch republican and has been twice nominated to the legislature, and each time received the majority of the votes in the borough, but Bucks county democracy was too potent for his election.  He is a member of the G. A. R. and of the Knights of the Golden Eagle.



…manufacturer, P.O. Quakertown, is a descendant of an old time family, of whom George Seipel (as the name was then spelled) was the progenitor.  He was a native of Scotland and immigrated to this country at an early day, and settled in Bucks county.  He had six sons whose names were David, Martin, George, Jacob, John and Henry.  George settled in Northampton county; Jacob in Elizabethtown, N. J.; the others in Bucks county, and reared families whose descendants are yet living.  David, the grandfather of Martin B., served in the war of the revolution, and was married to a Miss Stauffer, by whom he had four sons:  Samuel, Henry, Joel and Aaron; and one daughter, who died unmarried at the age of 23.  Henry, the father of Martin, was born in this borough, and married Angelina Biehn.  Martin B., the only living issue, was born October 21, 1850, and learned the trade of wheelwright of his father, who carried on that business for forty years.  In 1883 Martin set up in business, where he has since been located, making fine buggies, carriages, sleighs, platform wagons, etc., and though a young man he has surpassed several of his competitors of riper experience, turning out strictly first-class work.  His goods find ready sale.  Since his commencement here he has made, and is making, valuable additions and improvements.  He has been twice married.  His first wife, Emma Reckless, died leaving no issue, and his present wife is Miss Kate Taylor.  They have no children. Mr. Seiple is a member of the Order of Red Men, Secona Tribe, No 263, also of the I. O. O. F., and in politics is a democrat.



…farmer, P.O. Quakertown, was born in Richland township in 1835.  William and Sarah (Carr) Shaw, his grandparents, came to America from England at an early date.  Samuel Shaw, the third son of this couple, was married in 1822 to Miss Sidney Foulke, who bore him five children:  James (deceased), Sarah, William, Ann, and Edward.  The father died in1863, and the mother in 1862.  Edward, the subject of this sketch, was the youngest son.  He married Mary R., daughter of John and Margaret Good, of Plumstead township, this county.  The result of this union was two children:  J. Wilmer and Mary Emma, both of whom are now living. Mr. Shaw was born and reared on a farm, received a common-school education, and is a member of the Society of Friends.  He has never held any public position, but is held in high esteem by his fellow-men.



…farmer, P.O. Quakertown, is a native and life-long resident of the township.  He was born in 1829, and is a descendant of one of the old original Quaker families in the county.  His father was Samuel Shaw, who died in 1863, and his mother was Sydnia, daughter of John Foulke, who died in 1862.  Our subject was married in 1854 to Miss Hannah Morgan.  They have five children:  Morgan, Samuel, Anna, Maurice and Elizabeth.  Mr. Shaw has been a farmer from his youth up, and settled on his present farm in 1844.  He received a common-school education.  He is a member of the Society of Friends.  In politics he is a republican.



…of the firm of Stauffer & Shelly, publishers, P.O. Quakertown, was born in Milford township, this county, February 28, 1853, and is a son of Levi S. and Barbara (Shelly) Shelly.  His ancestors on both sides for three generations back were Shellys.  His paternal grandfather was Henry B. Shelly, and his maternal grandfather was Jacob Shelly.  Anthony S. received his earliest education in the common schools, and at the age of 17 years attended the Mennonite seminary, at Wadsworth, Ohio, one year.  After an interval of two years spent in teaching, he entered the Millersville State Normal school, from which institution he was graduated in 1875, in the normal course.  He then taught school one year in Milford, and the following year at Muncy, Lycoming county, this state.  In 1877 he returned to Wadsworth, and took charge of the normal department of the seminary, remaining two years.  Returning to his native county he became principal of the Newtown borough schools, which position he filled for five years.  The succeeding two years (1884-86) he spent in Kansas as a teacher in the Mennonite seminary at Halstead, Harvey county.  In 1886 he returned to Bucks county, and became one of the proprietors of the Quakertown “Free Press” and “Patriot and Reformer.”  In 1875 he was married to Priscilla Stauffer, of Milford township, this county.  Their children are: James Monroe, Florence and William Gilmore.  Mr. and Mrs. Shelly are members of the Mennonite church.



…merchant, P.O. Richlandtown, for the past four years has been extensively engaged in the mercantile business.  Mr.Shelly was born in Greenville, Montgomery county, in 1858.  His father is Isaac H. Shelly, a native of Pleasant Valley, Springfield township, Bucks county.  There were two sons:  Dr. D. W. Shelly, now a practicing physician at Ambler, Montgomery county, and the subject of this sketch, who was married in 1880 to Miss Maggie Fellman, daughter of ex-Sheriff Fellman, of Bucks county.  Mr. Shelly graduated at Crittenden’s Commercial college in Philadelphia in1874, and in 1879 commenced the mercantile business, moving to his present location in 1882.  He is a member of the Mennonite church.



…farmer, P.O. Richlandtown, was born September 5, 1835.  His parents, Daniel B. and Sarah (Neucomer) Shelly, died respectively in 1883 and 1884.  They had six children:  Henry N., Anthony, Lewis N., Mary Ann, Sarah Ann and Eliza Ann, all of whom are dead excepting Henry and Lewis N.   The latter married Annie Marie Johnson, daughter of Charles Esther Johnson in 1866.  Born of this union were three children:  Oscar Americus and Minnie Alice (deceased), and Rosie Annie (now living).  Mr. Shelly, after leaving his father’s farm, owned in part and operated for six years a foundry in Allentown, Lehigh county.  In 1872 he located on the farm where he still resides.



…retired, P.O. Richlandtown, was engaged in the business of farming from his youth until the year 1866, when he retired from active business life.  His grandparents were both natives of this township.  His father, Jacob, also a native of this county, was married to Miss Mollie McCarney, and by her had four children:  Joseph, Samuel, Nancy and Hester, all of whom are dead except Hester.  Jacob Shive was married a second time, and had two sons:  John and Jacob B.  He died at the age of 85 years.  Our subject was born in 1825, and in 1852 married Miss Hannah Bean.  He has two sons, Charles and Aaron. His wife Hannah having died, in 1864 Mr. Shive married, for his second wife, Maria Ritter, who has no children.



…merchant, P.O. Richland Center, was born October 5, 1821, in Lower Makefield township, where his ancestors settled upon their arrival from Holland.  His father, Carnelius, married Eliza, daughter of William Brown.  Cornelius, the grandfather of our subject, was a son of Abraham, who was born in Holland in 1722 and emigrated to this country in 1750.  Reading Beatty was brought up on a farm and in1844 engaged as clerk at Yardleyville, where he remained until 1858, when he engaged for himself in the stove and tinware business at that place. He continued in this business until 1863, at which time he was elected prothonotary on the democratic ticket.  After serving his term he engaged in the hardware business at New Hope, associating with him James V. Smith under the firm name of Slack & Smith.  In 1869 they removed to Quakertown, where they now are.  Mr. Slack was married October 30, 1847, to Hannah A., daughter of Joseph and Anna (Vanhorn) Lovett.  Of four children born to them but one, Ada, is now living.  Edgar, a son, died in California in 1872, aged 21.  Mr. Slack has held several offices of trust in the township and is a member of the Quakertown Lodge, No. 512, F. and A. M., Quakertown Lodge, No. 714, I. O. O. F., and of the Knights of Labor.  He is a leading citizen of the township.  His wife died March 6, 1885, of pneumonia.



…hardware merchant, P.O. Quakertown, was born in Lower Makefield township near the Delaware river, June 8, 1835.  He is the sixth son born to Andrew and Rachel V. (Anderson) Smith.  James V. lived on the farm until he was 22 years of age, when his father died.  He and his brother Elias purchased a farm in Falls township, which they conducted together for three years. In 1861 he and his brother, Jesse H., engaged in mercantile business at Yardley, also run an express office and stage-line between Yardley and Bristol.  After two years the partnership ceased and James V. continued the store, but dropped the stage and express business.  After three years he associated with Reading B. Slack in the hardware  business at New Hope and two years later they moved their stock to Quakertown.  In politics Mr. Smith is a democrat, and in 1874 he was appointed councilman of the borough and the following year was elected to the office.  In 1878 he was elected chief burgess and has since served in that capacity.  In 1880 he was appointed deputy coroner and three years later was elected coroner and is now serving his third term.  He was married to Mercy Ann, daughter of David and Mary Ann (Anderson) Lovett.  She was born in Yardleyville.  James V. has three children:  Tilla W., Jonathan H. and Victor A.   He has been a member of Uncas Lodge, No. 626, I. O. O. F., since the age of 22.



…farmer, P.O. Quakertown, is a grandson of Andrew Snyder, who was born in Deux Ponts, Alsace-Lorraine, in 1739 came to America in 1759 and settled in Richland township, where he purchased four hundred acres of land, a part of which is now owned by Charles Frick.  Andrew Snyder enlisted in the Continental army and served four years.  He was for two years provision forwarder and afterward fine collector until the close of the war, and in the discharge of his duties was for months compelled to sleep in thickets and other places of concealment.  At the close of the war there was due him from the government $3,300, which proved to be worthless, and in consequence he lost his land.  He, however, succeeded in redeeming his home, upon which he settled.  He married Margaret Jacoby, by whom he had five sons and six daughters.  He died October 26, 1815, aged 76.  The names of his children were:  Frederick, Henry, Andrew, George, John, Margaret, Annie, Mary, Susan, Magdalena and Jane.  All of them settled in the state excepting George, Mary and Susan, who moved to Richland county, Ohio.  John Snyder, father of Amos H., was born about the year 1782 in Richland township and married Elizabeth, daughter of John Hinkle, who also served through the revolution.  Neither he nor the elder Snyder ever drew a pension.  John Snyder settled on the Hinkle homestead.  He died in April, 1840, of typhoid fever.  His wife died of the same disease in the following December.  Eleven children survived them:  William, Lydia, John, Tobias, Sarah, Caroline, Amos H., Andrew, Catherine, Thomas and Joseph.  Of these but two are now living.  Amos H. was born on the Hinkle homestead December 18, 1821, and in December, 1848, married Mary Ann, daughter of John and Barbara (Kline) Blank.  After his marriage he engaged in farming.  In 1876 he came to Richland township and located on the farm he now owns.  Of eight children born to him four are living:  Monroe B., Warren B., Robert B., and George B.  Clementine, who died at the age of 23, was a teacher.  Oliver B. was also a teacher and died aged 26.  Monroe B. graduated in 1872 at the University of Michigan, Ann Harbor, and is now a professor of astronomy in the Central High school of Philadelphia.  He married Susan Chaplin Berry in 1882 and has two children:  John Amos and Francis Berry.  Warren B. married Flora Fellman in 1883 and has two children:  Blanche and Irene.  George and Robert are single.  The Snyder family are members of the Lutheran church.



…cigar manufacturer, P.O. Quakertown.  One of the largest manufacturers of cigars in the county is Henry Sommer, who was born January 6, 1837, in Baden, and is a son of Francis Henry and Eve (Ohl) Sommer.  In 1859, when he was 22 years of age, he came to this state and worked for L. Bamberger & Co., and had charge of their business for one year, when, with the modest capital of $15, he embarked in business for himself, continuing here until the breaking out of the war.  He enlisted May 15, 1861, as private in company F, 29th New York regiment, for two years.  He served his time and was honorably discharged June 6, 1863, and after one year he enlisted in the marines and served until his discharge in January, 1866, when he returned to Philadelphia and engaged as bookkeeper for his old firm, continuing in their employ for one year and a half.  In December, 1867, he came to Milford Square and took charge of a factory for his employers, continuing at that place for three years, when he came to Quakertown and for two years longer had charge of their business.  He then began for himself.  His largest annual production has been 10,500,000 cigars.  He has now about ten factories in charge.  He was married May 18, 1866, to Mary, daughter of J. A. and Anna C. (Gundel) Rhuel, who came to America in 1859.  They have five children:  Mary K., Ferdinand L., Henry J., Edward F. and Martha W.   Mr. Sommer has been successful in his business.  In 1885 his factory was burned and he lost about $8,000, but he has since rebuilt.



…farmer, P.O. Richland Center, was born in this county in 1831.  David, his grandfather, was born and reared in this county.  His parents, John and Marie (Savacool) Sorver, had seven children, two of whom are deceased.  The father died in 1874 and the mother survives him, being 84 years old.  Our subject was the fourth son of this couple, and in 1857 married Ellen, daughter of Enoch and Sarah Biehn, of this county.  They have had four children, three of whom are deceased.  Mr. Sorver’s trade was that of a tanner and currier, which occupation he followed till 1885, when he retired from business and lives at the place which is now his home.  He received a common-school education, is a member of the Reformed church and a democrat.



…farmer, P.O. Richland, was born in the old homestead in 1824.  His grandfather came from Montgomery county, and had seven children.  The youngest son, John, married Margaret, daughter of Abraham Clymer, of this county.  He died in 1873 and his wife in 1877.  They had sixteen children.  Those now living are:  Lena, Henry, Elizabeth, Abraham, Reuben, Nancy, Polly, John, Clayton and Lydia.  Three of the daughters are married.  Reuben Souder has never married.  He lives with two brothers and two maiden sisters on the old homestead, which he owns.



…publisher, P.O. Quakertown, was born September 18, 1837.  The Stauffers came from Switzerland.  According to tradition they owe their origin to a generation of knights called Stauffacher, at Hohenstaufen, who at the time of the freeing of Switzerland by William Tell were wealthy farmers and rendered great assistance.  Definite information is given only as far back as Hans Stauffer, son of Daniel.  Hans was married in 1685 to a widow named Kinget Hiestand (who was first married to Michael Risser).  Hans was an Anabaptist, or Mennonite, and was driven out of Switzerland shortly after his marriage by the followers of Ulrich Zwingle, on account of his religious faith, and fled to the Palatinate.  November 5, 1709, he started with his family to America.  He landed in London January 20, 1710.  They had a very stormy passage and landed in America in the spring of the same year and settled in the vicinity of Valley Forge, not far from Philadelphia.  His family consisted of eight persons:  himself and wife; three sons:  Jacob, 13; Daniel, 12; and Henry, 9 years old; and a daughter, Elizabeth, with her husband, Paul Friedt, and one child, Maria.  December 30, 1724, Jacob, son of Hans Stauffer, bought five hundred acres of land near Colebrookdale, in Berks county.  March 28, 1730, he sold one hundred and seventy-four and a half acres of this land to his brother Daniel, who was the father of a numerous family and the ancestor of John G. Stauffer.  The Stauffer descendants are numerous in the counties of Bucks, Berks, Lehigh, Chester, York and Lancaster, and in Canada.  John G., proprietor of the “Quakertown Printing and Publishing House,” was born near Spinnerstown, in Milford township.  His mother, Elizabeth (at present 81 years old), was a daughter of Rev. John Gehman, a Mennonite minister in Hereford, Berks county.  His father, Jacob O., was born in 1800, and was a son of Abraham, who was a son of Daniel, who was a son of Daniel, who was a son of the above-mentioned Hans Stauffer.  John G. received a common-school education and was early put to ordinary farm work.  In November, 1856, he entered the printing house of the “Mennonite Printing Union,” in Milford Square, Bucks county.  After six months’ apprenticeship he assumed the management and at the same time acted as compositor, printer, foreman and in part bookkeeper and assistant editor.  The business of the “Printing Union” consisted of publishing a semi-monthly religious paper called the “Das Chrisliche Volks-Blatt,” of which the first number was issued June 30, 1856.  There was also considerable book and job printing done.  He worked under heavy physical and mental exertion in this office (the last year as editor of the paper besides his other work) until May 27, 1863, when he took a western tour of seven months.  After his return he took charge of the office again and in a few years he established a German newspaper, of which the first number appeared July 4, 1867, under the title of “Independent Reformer.”  January 4, 1868, the name was changed to “Der Reformer,” and alter to “Patriot and Reformer,” its present title.  Shortly after the establishment of this paper he purchased the business.  At this time he bought a power press and the new paper was made a success.  The subscription list soon swelled to 1,000 and later to 1,600.  In June, 1876, he commenced to issue a German monthly Sunday-school paper, called “Himmel’s Manna” (Heavenly Manna), which was soon well patronized, and the same was issued in the English language in 1879, under the title “The Manna.”  Both papers have been uninterruptedly continued by him, with the assistance of Dr. J. Y. Schultz.  The circulation of the German paper is 5,000 and that of the English about 8,000.  He was married June 11, 1870, to Sarah, daughter of Abraham Geissinger, of New Zionville, Lehigh county, this state.  They have one son, Berend G., born April 4, 1872, and one daughter, Anna, born October 3, 1878.  June 21, 1881, he removed the printing business and his family to Quakertown.  As soon as he was settled there he bought a steam engine and another power press.  August 13, 1881, he started a new English weekly paper under the title of the “Quakertown Free Press.”  Dr. W. T. Bruce acted as editor.  The circulation soon reached 800.  July 1, 1882, he sold the “Free Press” to U. S. Stauffer, who still issues it in connection with Prof. A. S. Shelly, under the firm name of Stauffer & Shelly.  In the latter part of 1886 Mr. Stauffer sold the “Patriot and Reformer” to Stauffer & Shelly, after it had been issued and edited by him for nineteen years.  In April, 1885, he established his fifth and last paper.  It is an independent religious monthly entitled “Die Kirche Unterm Kreuze.”  It has a circulation of 2,000, and with the two “Mannas,” is still published by him.  He also prints books, tracts and circulars.  His son, Berend, is attending the Quakertown High school and is also engaged in the printing business.



…of the firm of Stauffer & Shelly, publishers, P.O. Quakertown, was born November 13, 1859, at Milford Square, this county, his parents being Enos S. and Catherine (Shelly) Stauffer.  He was reared on the farm and worked at that employment seventeen years, attending the common schools.  In 1876 he began to learn the printing business with his relative, John Stauffer, with whom he remained two years.  He then attended Ursinus college, Collegeville, Montgomery county, Pa., one term, after which he spent six months with Mr. John Stauffer.  At the expiration of that time he went to Philadelphia, where he worked as a journeyman printer.  In 1880 he returned to Quakertown and took charge of a job printing office then owned by John G. Stauffer.  The following year he purchased the “Free Press,” and in 1886 the partnership now existing between him and Anthony S. Shelly was formed, and the “Patriot and Reformer” was purchased of John G. Stauffer.  On Christmas, 1883, he was married to Adeline W. Shelly, youngest daughter of Rev. Andrew B. Shelly, of Milford township, a minister of the Mennonite church, of which both are members.  Their child, Clayton, was born June 1, 1887.



…farmer, P.O. Richland Center, was born in 1824, in Montgomery county, Pa.  The parents of our subject were John and Elizabeth (Tresler) Stonebach, who were of German descent.  He was married in 1846 to Christiana Hartzell, daughter of John and Eva Hartzell, of this county.  They have had seven children, one of whom is deceased:  Kitian, John Henry, Sylvester, Amanda (Mrs. Soiler), Lucinda (Mrs. Jordan), Anna Marie (Mrs. Driesbach), and Mary Elizabeth (Mrs. Ahlum).  Mr. Stonebach’s education was limited, but he has always been an upright man in all his business transactions, and is recognized as a good citizen of Richland township.



…wholesale queensware dealer in Philadelphia, and a resident of Quakertown, was born in Rockhill township, this county, in 1838.  The former spelling of the name was Steinbach.  Henry Steinbach, great-grandfather of Worman, was born in Germany in 1750 and died in 1795, and was buried in Keller’s church, Bedminster township.  His son, John, grandfather of our subject, was born in 1782 and died in 1864.  Robert, the father of our subject, was the eldest son of a family of nine children, six sons and three daughters.  He was born in Dublin, Bucks county, in 1806, and during his life held many positions of trust, most prominent among which was that of recorder of Bucks county.  He was elected by the democratic party.  He was married to Lydia, eldest daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Worman, of this county.  Born to this couple were five children, two sons and three daughters, all of whom are deceased, except our subject, who was the eldest son.  The father died in 1880, aged 74 years.  His wife survived him and is now in her 70th year.   Our subject was married in 1868 to Joanna, daughter of William Bush and his wife Christiana, formerly of Philadelphia, but now residents of Quakertown.  The result of this union was three children:  Ella (deceased), Blanche Lydia and Robert Eugene.  Mr. Stoneback was graduated from the Philadelphia High school in 1855.  For a period of nineteen years he was employed in the capacity of agent at Quakertown for the North Pennsylvania railroad company.  In 1880 he gave up this position and engaged in the coal and lumber business, which he successfully carried on till 1885, when he engaged in his present business, that of wholesale queensware.  The business is under the firm name of Thomas C. Atherholt & Co., the partners being natives of Bucks county, and former residents of this place.  Mr. Stoneback is a member of the Dutch Reformed church.  In politics he is a stanch democrat.



…retired, P.O. Richland Center, was born in 1836, in the house where he now resides.  His great-great-grandfather, Jacob, came to America some time previously to Penn’s settlement of Philadelphia.  His grandfather, Danie Strawn, was married three times.  His first wife bore him four children and his second wife fourteen, sixteen of whom lived and reared families.  There were no children by the third wife.  Thomas, our subject’s father, married Mary, daughter of Caspar Johnson, of this county.  She bore him six children, three of whom are living.  She died in 1827, and in 1829 he was married to Miss Jane F., daughter of Benjamin Foulke, of this county.  Four children were born to this marriage, Charles F. being the only one living.  Our subject was married in 1862 to Miss Warwick, daughter of Charles F. and Margaret Warwick, of this county.  They have three children:  Harry W., living in Philadelphia; Fred P. and Jennie F.   Mr. Strawn received a common-school education and learned the cabinet-making trade.  After attaining his majority he was engaged in cabinet-making, which occupation he followed until he purchased his farm.



…retired, P.O. Quakertown, was born in 1822; was married in 1844 to Margaret, daughter of Evan and Rebecca Penrose, and has had five children:  Henry and Rebecca Jane, deceased; and Mary, William and Eli living.  The parents of our subject were William L. Strawn, who died in 1840, and Jane W., daughter of Henry and Alice Wilson, who died in February, 1859.  Eli W. has always resided in Bucks county.  He received a common-school education, and his occupation has always been that of a farmer.  He is a member of the Society of Friends, and in politics is a republican.



…boot and shoe dealer, P.O. Quakertown, is a native of Tinicum township, this county, and was born in 1856.  His great-grandfather was Jacob Strouse, who came from Germany.  He had a son Jacob, who married Catherine Horwick, who bore him one child, Elias.  Elias married Marian Kruger, of Haycock township, this county.  This couple were the parents of nine children, four sons and five daughters.  Reed C. was reared on a farm and attended the common schools, remaining on the farm till he was 21 years old, when he commenced clerking in a store, which occupation he continued till 1885.  He married in 1885 Jennie, daughter of Joseph and Rebecca (Dames) Jefferies, of Chester county, this state.  They have no children.  In 1885 Mr. Strouse established his present business.  He carried a fine line of all kinds of ladies’ and men’s boots and shoes.  He is a member of the Knights of the Golden Eagle and of the Red Men.  In politics he is a democrat.



…(deceased), Quakertown, was among the substantial and successful business men that were born in Quakertown.  He was born March 3, 1813, on Main street, in old Quakertown.  He was a son of Samue and Elizabeth (McCarty) Thomas.  His grandfather was Edward Thomas, a Friend of Welsh descent.  He purchased a large tract of land, part of which is yet in the family name.  Here in the town Edward Thomas grew to maturity, and, learning the tailor’s trade, carried on merchant tailoring for several years.  Though having but limited school advantages he made the best of his opportunities and was successful, and in a few years acquired a competence.  In politics he was a stanch democrat, and in the earlier part of his life took an active interest in the affairs of the borough, at times being a member of the school board and of the council.  In 1851 he was elected to the state legislature, and served three terms.  He was married, September 17, 1837, to Anna M., daughter of Thomas and Sara (Lancaster) Foulk. This union was blessed with these children:  Lancaster, Hannah, Irvine, Elwood and Sallie L.  Lancaster is a druggist in Philadelphia, Irvine is in Texas, and Edwin, deceased October 19, 1875, was also engaged in the drug business in Philadelphia.  In 1858 Mr. Thomas retired from business, and up to the time of his death, August 3, 1883, was confined to his house by rheumatism.



…banker, P.O. Quakertown, president of the Quakertown National bank, was born in New Britain township, Bucks county, June 15, 1829, and is the great-grandson of Albin Thomas, a native of Wales, who emigrated to this state at an early day and located in Plumstead township.  His son Albin succeeded him and located in Danborough, and to him was born Elias, the father of our subject.  He married Sarah, daughter of Frederick Snyder.  The fruit of this union was Joseph,who was reared to farming and left home at the age of seventeen, having received the best school advantages offered. He soon began teaching, which vocation he followed until 1854, when he began the study of medicine.  He was graduated in 1856 from the University of Pennsylvania, and began the practice of his profession in Applebachsville, Haycock township, six miles from Quakertown, where he continued until 1861, when he organized a company and was commissioned captain, and assigned to the Pennsylvania Reserve corps.  In the autumn of 1862 he was appointed surgeon of the Corn Exchange regiment, 118th Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was subsequently made surgeon-in-chief of the field hospital, which position he held until the close of war.  On his return to peaceful pursuits he located at Applebachsville, where he remained until 1866, when he was appointed assistant assessor of internal revenue, and removed to Quakertown. In 1871 he organized the Quakertown Savings bank and was appointed its cashier, and in 1877, when the bank was closed, as an evidence of its successful management, after paying all the liabilities of the institution, there was a residue left, paying the stockholders $4.00 for every $1.00 invested.  The Quakertown National bank, with a capital of $100,000, was then organized and established, and since its organization Mr. Thomas has been its president.  Politically he is a republican, and in 1878 was elected to the state senate by a majority of four hundred and fifty.  April 3, 1860, he married Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Elias (Fluck) Ott.  They have one son, Byron, who is teller in the bank.  The doctor has been a successful business man, and while he has partially retired, yet has his capital judiciously invested, and is in the enjoyment of his home and family.  He has given considerable attention to ornithology and natural history.  He is past master of Quakertown lodge, No. 512, A. Y. M.; also a member of the Chapter and Commandery; of the I. O. O. F., No. 714; of Peter Lyste post, 145, G. A. R.; and also of the Loyal Legion of the United States.



…P.O. Quakertown, one of the proprietors of the Thomas & Co. manufactory, is of French extraction, and the pioneer of the name was one of the earliest settlers in Northampton county.  The grandfather of our subject was Abram Transue, who was born in Williams township, Northampton county, in 1759, and afterward settled in Lower Saucon township.  One of his brothers settled in Bethlehem township and the other in Lower Saucon.  Charles, father of Charles E., was born in Lower Saucon and engaged in farming, remaining there until he was advanced in years, when he removed to Bethlehem, where he died.  His wife was Mary Ann, daughter of Jacob Weaver and Abbie Apple.  Their children were:  Sarah, Charles E., Henrietta, Mary Ann and Keturah.  Charles E. was born July 13, 1835, in Lower Saucon, and when sixteen years of age he went to learn the carpenter’s trade, which he followed until his coming to his place in 1868.  He soon after purchased an interest in a large saw-mill, which was afterward burned.  In May, 1869, he associated with Dr. Thomas and Henry Sommer in the planning-mill. Afterward Mr. Sommer retired, and J. Springer took an interest in the firm.  Mr. Springer afterward sold out his share and the firm has since been composed of Dr. Thomas and Mr. Transue, under the firm name of Thomas & Co.  Mr. Transue was married in 1863 to Susan, daughter of Reuben and Mary (Dewald) Schortz.  He has one child living:  Lovina C.  He is a member of the Moravian church, and of F. and A. M., Quakertown lodge, No. 512.  Mr. Transue began in life with nothing but his trade, and though meeting with some unfortunate drawbacks in the way of fires, etc., yet by industry and good management has become firmly established in business and is steadily acquiring a competence.



…retired, P.O. Quakertown, was born in 1808, in Rockhill township, this county.  Little is known of this aged man’s parentage.  His grandfather lived to the age of 91 and he and his wife both died in the house which he built and where John Trumbauer now lives. Our subject’s parents were John and Elizabeth (Baum), both deceased.  They were parents of five children, two of whom are deceased.  In1843 our subject was married to Lydia, daughter of Michael and Lydia (Donahue) Sholl, of Montgomery county, Pa.  Their children were:  Henry S., born 1845; Milton S., 1848; Michael S., 1850; Levi S., 1853; Lydia A. S., 1855; Mary Elizabeth S., 1859; and Sarah Jane S., 1861.  For twelve years Mr. Trumbauer followed shoemaking; at the expiration of that time he married and moved to the farm where he now resides.  He is a member of the Lutheran church and a democrat.




…manufacturer of boots and shoes, P.O. Richland Center, comes of an old family.  The pioneer in this county was David Walp, who came from Northampton county in 1799, settled in what is now Richland township, and built the first house in the place in 1804.  The Walp family were early settlers in Northampton county, residing there during the revolutionary period.  They suffered much from incursions of the Indians and their numbers were decimated by them.  David Walp, the grandfather of A. B., married Susanna Ohlwein, of Northampton.  Five sons and two daughters were born to David and Susanna, viz.:  Adam, George, Charles, Joseph, John, Hannah and Mary.  Adam removed to Shreveport, Alabama, and reared a family; the other brothers and sisters settled in this region.  Charles Walp, father of A. B., was born in March, 1805, and married Susanna Bartholomew, born in 1807, who died April 19, 1882.  Their only issue was Aaron B., born May 25, 1828 (on the same tract his grandfather settled on in 1799), and learned the shoemaker’s trade with his father.  When he became of age he embarked in the marble business with a capital of $10 in a room 6 by 9 feet.  In 1857 he engaged with his father in boot and shoe manufacturing.  He also carried on the marble business.  This he discontinued in 1865, having purchased his father’s interest in the boot and shoe business.  In 1871 he removed to Richland Center and continued the business until the spring of 1886, when he was succeeded by his son, Tilghman J.   November 13, 1856, he married Mary Ann, daughter of Charles and Esther (Strawn) Johnson.  Mrs. Walp died September 17, 1872.  Three sons are living:  Charles Horace, Oliver James, and Tilghman Johnson, all married and doing business for themselves.  Oliver J. resides at Reading, Pa., being interested with his father in a boot and shoe manufactory there.  Charles Horace is engaged in the lumber and coal business.  Mr. Walp’s present wife was Mrs. Emma Deetz, daughter of Jesse and Maria Ott.  By diligence and shrewd judicious management Mr. Walp has made a financial success and has retired with a handsome competence for his declining years.



…retired, P.O. Richlandtown, was born February 21, 1833, and married Catherine Ann, daughter of Elias Freed, of this county, in 1859.  They had six children:  Abraham, George, Titus and Emma, deceased; and Sarah J., Elias H. and Ida F., living.  The father of our subject died in 1880 and his mother died in 1886.  He remained at home with his father till he was 26 years old, working at shoemaking and helping on the farm till 1860, after which he worked at his trade for two years, and then leased his father’s farm, after purchasing it, carrying on his trade in connection with the farm until April 1, 1883.  Mr. Walp is a member of the Lutheran church.



…merchant, P.O. Shelly, was born in Sellersville, Bucks county, June 30, 1853, and is a son of Noah and Hannah (Hartzell) Wambold.  The latter died in 1881.  Our subject was engaged with his father on the farm and in the tanning business till 1870, when he became a clerk in a store.  In 1872 he became a student at the Franklin and Marshall college at Lancaster, where he remained three years.  At the expiration of that time he began clerking again and continued until 1880, when he commenced business for himself at this present location.  Mr. Wambold was married in 1879 to Amanda, daughter of Reuben and Susanna Kidney.  Two children were born as the result of this marriage, Florence and Mattie.  He is a member of the Lutheran church and in politics a republican.



…physician and surgeon, P.O. Richlandtown, was born October 13, 1854.  His parents, Elias and Anna Catherine Weaver, who are now living, had six children:  Savina, deceased, Christiana, Lewis, Milton, Elias and Charles.  Our subject was educated at that institution he commenced teaching school in 1870, continuing in that occupation till 1874, when he took up the reading of medicine with Dr. L. T. Trombauer.  In 1877 he graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical college, of New York city; since then he has been a practicing physician and surgeon in his native town, also keeping  a drug store.  Mr. Weaver was married to Miss Matilda, youngest daughter of Henry B. and Mary Sell, in 1876.  In 1880 they adopted a daughter of Rev. R. B. Kistler.  He is a member of the German Reformed church of this town.



…farmer, P.O. Richlandtown, is a son of Peter and Susan (Croman) Weirbach, and was born in Richland township in 1814.  At the age of eight years he was bound out to a man named John Narrengand, who resided in the village of Richlandtown, and remained till he was 18 years old, when he commenced to learn the shoemaker’s trade, serving an apprenticeship of two years.  He worked at his trade three or four years, then hired himself to Charles Himmelwright.  He was married in 1843 to Hannah Penrose and then remained with Himmelwright 25 years (until his death in 1861), at the expiration of which time he purchased the farm.  His wife died in 1868.  Three children were born to them:  Charles P., Joseph and Samuel, all living.  Joseph, who is now living with his family on the farm of his father, who resides with him, was born June 2, 1846, and was married in 1869 to Mary, daughter of Enos and Elizabeth (Lewis) Stump.  Their children are:  Anna May (deceased), Harvey E. and Howard H.   He is a member of the Reformed church.





…merchant, P.O. Quakertown, was born in Erwinna, April 19, 1842.  He was a son of James and (Phebe) Treichler Williams, both natives of Bucks county.  Charles T. was reared to merchandising, entered his father’s store at the age of thirteen and clerked for him until he became of age, when he engaged in business with John Z. Rufe under the firm name of Rufe & Williams, at Erwinna.  He continued there for about thirteen years and after the dissolution of the firm he went to headquarters, and carried on business there until the spring of 1883, when he purchased the property he now owns.  He married Ella C., daughter of Hiram Smith, of this county.  They have three children:  James B., Maude C. and Charles G.   He carried a general stock of merchandise, and is known as a leading merchant of the county.



…farmer, P.O. Quakertown, was born in 1849 in Philadelphia. His grandfather came from Ireland, and was the father of seven children, five sons and two daughters.  James, the third son, was born in Philadelphia, and married Miss Isabella Elliot, of Philadelphia, whose parents came from Ireland.  Born to this couple were eleven children, seven of whom are deceased.  Isabella, the wife, died in 1856, and Mr. Wilson was married to Elizabeth Hauley, of Ireland, and to this wife two children were born.  The father died in 1886.  Myers F. Wilson was married in 1872 to Miss Amanda Miller, of Philadelphia, daughter of Nathan Miller.  She bore him two children, Carrie and Mamie, and died in 1875.  In 1880 Mr. Wilson married Lizzie, daughter of James Mawson, now of this county, and formerly of England.  Two children were born of this union:  Charles (deceased) and Emma Grace, born in December, 1886.  Mr. Wilson received a common-school education, and for five years followed his trade, that of a carpenter.  He came to his father’s farm in 1875, and at the death of the latter inherited the homestead where he now resides.



…farmer, florist and fruit-grower, P.O. Richlandtown, was born in 1827, and was married in 1853 to Miss Minnich, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Minnich, of Allentown.  Our subject was born and reared in this county, and after finishing a course of two years at Quakertown school, began teaching, which occupation he followed for twelve years.  He has nine children:  Oswin A., Charles E., Milton A., Alice H., Ida S., Lizzie Jane, Titus C., David J. and John F.   In 1859 he purchased the farm of his father.  Mr. Younken is extensively engaged in fruit growing, and his botanical garden is filled with the choicest of flowers.



…retired, P.O. Quakertown, was born in Montgomery county in 1801.  The family came to this country from Germany at an early date.  Conrad Zorns, grandfather of our subject, was a farmer in Montgomery county, and was impressed into service with his horses in George Washington’s army, and served about three months.  He died at the age of 76.  Six sons were born to this pioneer.  Jacob, his second son, married Hannah Shaw of this county.  Ten children were the result of this marriage, seven sons and three daughters; all of them are deceased but our subject, who, in 1832, married Matilda Ann, daughter of William L. Strawn, of this county.  Three children were born to this couple:  Jane Alice (deceased), Hannah (Mrs. Shepherd) and Ghalkley, residents of Philadelphia.  Mr. Zorns commenced life as a farmer.  At the age of 20 years he engaged in the cooper business, which he followed for seven years, then married, and from 1832 to 1866 was engaged in farming.  At the expiration of that period he moved to his present place of residence.  His wife died in 1884.  He is a member of the Society of Friends.


History of the Counties of
Transcribed:  30 July 2008 by Patricia R. Smith Bastik

    Page last updated:Tuesday May 11, 2010
If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    


If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    
 PA State Coordinator:
Joe Patterson
Bucks County Coordinator: and
Web Page Developer
Nancy C. Janyszeski


All copyright laws are observed to the best of our ability. However if you feel something is on the site and infringes on copyright laws please contact me and let me know.

Use of information is for Personal Genealogical purposes only.  Commercial publication of any such information is prohibited. All text and images are copyright by said contributors.

Return to the Bucks County PaGenWeb Main Page or use your Back Button

Copyright © by Nancy C. Janyszeski 2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010