Part of the PAGenWeb Project
WALTON, Spencer A. - Columbus Twp (brief personals, page c *)
Spencer Walton was born in Columbus in 1841, and in 1864 married Louisa Hammon, who was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1842. They have one son, Cassius H., born in 1866. Louisa was a daughter of David and Louisa (Tooley) Hammon; the latter was from Rutland, Vt, and the former from Massachusetts. Spencer A. was a son of John and Harriet (Spencer) Walton, who were married in 1828. He [John] was born in 1806, and settled in Columbus from Chenango county, N. Y., with his parents, Aaron and Artimissa (Field) Walton. They were born in Connecticut and married there and settled in Chenango county, N. Y., and came to Warren county with a family of ten children in 1824.
Return to top
WARD, George U. - Matthew's Run, Sugar Grove Twp (brief personals, page c *)
Mr. Ward was born in Sugar Grove in 1860, and chose a farmer's life. In 1882 he married Maggie Waters, who was born in 1860. They have two children—James and Pearl. George U. is a son of James and Ann (Gray) Ward. They were born in Nottinghamshire, England, and were married in Sugar Grove, in 1859; they had a family of four children — George U., Martha, Grant, and Kate. James died in 1868. He was a son of John and Catharine (Unwin) Ward, of Nottinghamshire. John was born in 1804, and Catharine in 1821, and they were married in 1837; they had but one son—James. Catharine died in 1880. James and John settled in Sugar Grove in 1851, purchasing the homestead now occupied by George U.
Return to top
WATERHOUSE, Russell - Pittsfield Twp (brief personals, page c *)
Mr. Waterhouse was born in Schoharie county, N. Y., in 1821. He was a son of William A. and Hannah (Davis) Waterhouse. William A. was bom in Stonington, Conn., Hannah was born in Rhode Island, and was a descendant of the Roger Willams colony; she was raised in the same neighborhood and went to school with Commodore Perry, and was a cousin of the hero of Lake Erie. They settled in Pittsfield in 1840, where William A. died in 1842. Hannah died in Dakota, aged ninety-five years. Russell Waterhouse settled in Pittsfield, in 1840, and was married in 1848 to Laura Ford, who was born in 1825. They have had a family of six children born to them — Hyatt M., is a graduate of Scudder's Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, and is now a professor at Minneapolis, Minn.; John A., was also a graduate of the same college; Maud, graduated from the same in 1886; Elgia N., Thomas W., and Effie. Thomas W. is now a bookkeeper, and the other two daughters are students at Fredonia. Laura Ford was a daughter of Obadiah and Elizabeth H. Ford. Obadiah was born in Maryland. They had a family of nine children born to them, seven of whom are now living — John C, Darius, Margaret Cordelia, Laura, Mansell, and Vincent. Darius and Mansell enlisted and served for four years in the late war, and were honorably discharged. Their father Obadiah served in the War of 1812.
Return to top
WATSON, Lewis Findlay - Warren (pages 606 - 609 *)
Lewis Findlay Watson was born in Crawford county, Pa., on the 14th day of April, 1819. His parents, John Watson and Rebecca
Bradley, were natives of the State of Delaware, and descended from a Scotch-Irish ancestry. The early education of the subject of this sketch was such as the educational advantages of Crawford and surrounding counties afforded during his boyhood. At the age of thirteen he entered a store at Titusville in the capacity of clerk, and remained in that occupation there and at Franklin and Warren until 1837, his residence in the latter place having commenced in in 1835. At the close of his last engagement, in 1837, he entered the prothonotary's and register and recorder's office in Warren, where he remained until 1838, shortly after which he commenced a course of study at the Warren Academy, then under charge of Mr. Rasselas Brown, who subsequently became president judge of this judicial district.
Upon leaving the academy, Mr. Watson entered upon mercantile pursuits in the borough of Warren, in partnership with Archibald Tanner and S. T. Nelson, under the style of Nelson, Watson & Co. At the termination of this co-partnership, in 1841, he continued his mercantile pursuits, sometimes on his own account, and sometimes with others, until 1860, when, closing this business, he turned his attention more directly to the manufacture and marketing of lumber. In the autumn of 1859, in company with his brother John and Archibald Tanner, he engaged in the development of the petroleum business by drilling wells on his brother's farm at Titusville, Pa. In the spring of 1860 this firm opened what was known as the Fountain Oil Well, the first flowing well in that district, and probably the first in the country.
Lewis Findlay Watson
1819 - 1890
Since the date of the above-mentioned discovery Mr. Watson has, at intervals, engaged in the production of petroleum, and has continuously engaged also in extensive operations in pine timber lands, and in the manufacture and sale of lumber up to the present time.
Enterprises of more public importance have at various times occupied his attention. In 1864 he was one of the original stockholders of the First National Bank of Warren, and for several years acted as its vice-president. In 1870 he organized the Warren Savings Bank, of which he was the first president, a position which he continues to hold.
In 1861 he organized the Conewango Valley Railroad Company, now known as the Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley and Pittsburgh, and was elected its first president. It was mainly through his efforts that the Conewango Valley road was constructed. In 1877 he purchased a large tract of land in Cass county, Dak., and at once commenced the cultivation of wheat and other agricultural products. At the present date he has over two thousand acres under cultivation.
Since the organization of the Republican party Mr. Watson has at all times supported the political principles which have distinguished that great body—principles that have more firmly cemented the bonds of the Union; which have protected the American laborer from competition with the degraded laborers of foreign nations, and which have established and sustained the conservative financial policy that has secured so much prosperity to the country, and insures the extinguishment of the public debt without distress to the people. Although not a politician by profession or practice, his unswerving loyalty to his party, his known patriotism, his energy, perspicacity, and success in the various enterprises which he had undertaken, led, in 1874, to the unanimous recommendation of Mr. Watson, by the Republicans of Warren county to the district convention, as a candidate for representative to Congress. At the meeting of the district convention Mr. Watson's name as a candidate was withdrawn at his own request, to effect an unanimous nomination of Hon. C. B. Curtis, the sitting member of the House from the Twenty-seventh Pennsylvania Congressional District, for a second term. Unfortunately Mr. Curtis was defeated at the polls by his Democratic competitor, by a small majority.
Two years thereafter, in 1876, Mr. Watson was nominated by the Republican convention, held at Franklin, as a candidate for representative to the Forty-fifth Congress from the above district, and he was elected by the overwhelming majority of 3,547, against Wm. L. Scott, the Democratic nominee, notwithstanding the election of a Democrat for the preceding term of 1874-76. In 1880 he was again elected to Congress. His congressional duties were performed with the same assiduity and zeal that he displayed in private affairs.
In the Forty-fifth Congress he introduced a bill to regulate inter-state commerce and to prohibit unjust discrimination by common carriers. This bill aimed to correct one of the crying evils of the times.
In the House it elicited discussion which its importance merited, and it was was widely commented upon by the leading newspapers of the country in a manner which indicated the deep interest felt in the proposed reformatory legislation by the people at large. The bill passed the House, with some unimportant amendments, by a large majority, but reached the Senate too late for action during that session of Congress.
That its passage through the House, by a large majority, should be ascribed to the energetic and skillful efforts of Mr. Watson, is apparent from the fact that a similar bill, introduced in the Forty-sixth Congress, did not reach a vote in either the House or the Senate.
In 1842 Mr. Watson married Elvira W. McDowell, whose death occurred in 1849. No children of this marriage survive. In 1856 he married Miss Caroline E., daughter of Hon. N. B. Eldred, of Wayne county, Pa. Of the children born of this marriage Annie Bartlett alone survives.
At the date of this publication Mr. Watson continues actively engaged in the various business pursuits which have absorbed so many years of his life—banking, the manufacture of lumber, operations in pine timber lands, the production of petroleum, and grain growing.
While increasing his lumber interests, he has gradually become, probably, the largest land owner in the county of Warren, and latterly he has acquired extensive timber tracts on the Pacific slope.
These various and absorbing pursuits have not diminished his concern inpublic affairs, nor have they dulled his lively interest in the successes, or lessened his sympathy in the misfortunes of his neighbors, and his large and everincreasing circle of acquaintances. On the contrary, he contemplates the various political schisms of the time with all the ardor of earlier days, but with a judgment and wisdom ripened by wide and varied experience.
Happy in his own domestic life and successes, he is ever ready to contribute to the happiness of the less fortunate, by his quiet sympathy in their distress, or by extending the hand of unostentatious charity—the greatest of all the virtues—which adorns alike the prince and peasant, the private as well as the more conspicuous public citizen who may wear her mantle.
|Photograph courtesy of Jonathan Hart|
[Warren County coordinator's note: His second wife Caroline E. (Eldred) Watson, who died in 1919, was also buried in the Oakland Cemetery. She bequeathed funding in her will to establish the Watson Memorial Home, a special place for women without partners who have reached the age of 65 and no longer wish to live on their own.]
Return to top
WATTS, Thomas, Jr. - Sugar Grove Twp (brief personals, page c *)
Mr. Watts was born in Wilkshire, England, in 1829. He was a son of Thomas and Susan (Barrett) Watts; they were married in England and with a family of four daughters and three sons in 1835 settled in Sugar Grove. The parents are both dead, the father died in 1841, the mother in 1854. Five of the children are now living — Mrs. Elizabeth Shutt, Mrs. Sarah Shutt, Mrs. Ellen Mead, John Watts, and Thomas Watts, jr. Thomas Watts, jr., married Lucretia Armitage, of Spring Creek in 1863. She was born in 1845 and died in Sugar Grove in 1873, leaving a family of three children — Nellie, May, and Jennie. Nellie married James Armitage in 1884, and died April 12, 1886, leaving an infant daughter, Nellie. May is a graduate and holds a teacher's certificate. Mr. Watts is a farmer, and was in early life a lumberman, and purchased his homestead farm in 1862.
Return to top
WATT, Moses - Garland, Pittsfield Twp (brief personals, pages c-ci *)
Moses, a resident of Garland, was born in Spring Creek township in 1828. He was a son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Andrews) Watt. Alexander was bom in Lancaster county, and his wife, Elizabeth, was born in Pittsfield. Alexander settled with his father, John Watt, in Spring Creek in 1797. John had a family of four children. Alexander and Elizabeth had a family of nine children bom to to them, four of whom are now living—Mrs. Hannah Mallery, Mrs. Melissa Snyder, Mrs. Sarah Spencer, and Moses Watt. Alexander A. Watt died in 1866 at the advanced age of eighty-five years. His son Moses was married in 1866 to Eveline Bright, who was born in Crawford county in 1844. They have had twro children born to them — Frank M. and Robert, who are now living; Winifred and a daughter, Sarah Etta, are dead. Sarah died in 1885 aged seventeen years. Eveline Bright was a daughter of Henry and Mary Ann (Butler) Bright. Moses Watt in early life was a lumberman and farmer, and in 1884 settled in Garland, coming there from Spring Brook, and there erected his present fine residence. He embarked in the general hardware business in 1884.
Return to top
WENZEL, Henry - Warren p. o., Conewango twp (brief personals, page ciii *)
Henry Wenzel, deceased, was born in Leniburg, Bavaria, Germany, on November 15, 1824. He was a son of Henry and Libbie Wenzel. He came to America in 1854, and settled in New York city, where he remained until 1864, when he came to Conewango, where he cleared and improved the farm which is now owned and occupied by his widow, and where he resided until his death, which occurred on February 5, 1886. He was married in 1849 to Saloma Kestner, a daughter of Michael and Ann M. (Bishop) Kestner, of Leniburg, Germany. Their children were Henry, Christian, William, Philopena, Amelia, Michael, Libbie, and Louis. Mr. Wenzel was a member of the Lutheran Church, and his family also belong to that denomination.
Return to top
WETMORE, Lansing Ditmars - Warren Borough (pages 610-613 *)
L. D. Wetmore was born in Pine Grove township, Warren county, Pa.,
on the 18th day of October, 1818. He is the son of Hon. Lansing Wetmore,
a sketch of whose life is written in this work, and the grandson of Parsons
Wetmore, an early settler in Whitestown, whose wife was a daughter of
Hugh White, the first settler west of the Dutch settlements in the Mohawk
Valley in the State of New York. Hugh White earned the distinction of being
the founder of Whitestown, N. Y., as his son Hugh became the founder of
Cohoes, N. Y. The family came originally from the vicinity of Hartford, Conn.
L. D. Wetmore received his earlier education in the district schools of Warren, and afterward attended the academy at the same place. He was graduated from Union College in the class of 1841, after which he began to study law in Warren. He was admitted to practice in 1845, and at once commenced the practice of his profession in Warren, his labors being interrupted for a time in 1843 and 1844, when he taught in the academy at Smethport for two seasons. From that time on he has conducted a large and successful practice in Warren, and is now at the head of the firm of Wetmore, Noyes & Hinckley. Mr. Wetmore's prominence in this and adjoining counties is sufficiently attested by the fact that in the fall of 1870 he was elected president judge of the Sixth Judicial District, composed of the counties of Erie, Warren, and Elk, and that during a term of ten years he performed the functions of that office with the most creditable promptness and efficiency. For some time previous to the death of his brother, C. C. Wetmore, in April, 1867, he was interested with him in an extensive lumber business. After that painful accident, as described in other pages of this volume, Judge Wetmore was obliged to assume sole charge over the business, and from that time to the present he has engaged heavily in the manufacture and sale of lumber, with results which disclose his sagacity and capacity for managing affairs. In politics Judge Wetmore is a Republican, and though not an office seeker was clothed for a time with the judicial ermine, as stated, and has been called upon to take a part in the arduous and not less important burdens of local office. Previous to his election to the bench he was president of the First National Bank of Warren, a position which he resumed on his retirement from the political office, and which he now holds. His judicial ability has been even better appreciated since the expiration of his term than while he was in office. Like his father, he has always been remarkable for the affability of his manner and his social disposition in all the relations of life. His decisions were almost always correct, notwithstanding the fact that he was engaged in private business enterprises that would alone have fully taxed the energies of most men. He studied all the questions that came before him for decision with the thoroughness of a student in love with his task, and refused to neglect the minutest duties of his position.
Judge Lansing Ditmars Wetmore
1818 - 1905
Buried in the Oakland Cemetery, Warren
The following is the correspondence on the termination of his official life in Erie county:
ERIE, Pa., April 29, 1874.
To THE HONORABLE L. D. WETMORE,
Dear Sir:—As your connection with the bar of Erie county as president judge has ceased, the undersigned, its members, desire to give an expression of their respect for you, officially and personally, at a supper at such time as it may suit your convenience to meet us.
We are unwilling that your connection with us as president judge of our county should cease without some demonstration, feeling that while it should be a pleasant occasion to us, it is due to you for the ability, impartiality and fidelity with which you discharged the duties of the office as well as a grateful expression of our remembrance of the agreeable intercourse we have had with you as our late president judge, signally marked out as it was by gentlemanly and courteous bearing, and patient consideration of our efforts before you. With great respect we are your friends and obedient servants.
JOHN H. WALKER,
JAMES C. MARSHALL,
and some forty members of the Erie bar.
WARREN, Pa., June 8, 1874.
Gentlemen:—Your favor was duly received and my absence has delayed a reply.
To have performed the duties of judge in a manner to meet the approval of the members of your bar is to me a source of great satisfaction.
Your learning, ability and urbanity greatly aided me in my labors on the bench.
The upright, fearless, and learned lawyer is as much a minister of justice as the court to which he speaks, said Justin Grier, on his retirement from the bench of the Supreme Court of the United States.
The fact so truly stated by Judge Grier has been appreciated by me in my official intercourse with you.
I would be pleased to accept your invitation but am unable at present to state a time when it would be convenient for me to meet you. Thanking you for the flattering compliment of your letter, I remain
Very respectfully yours,
L. D. WETMORE.
To HON. JOHN H. WALKER, HON. ELIJAH BABBIT, HON. JAMES C. MARSHALL and others.
At a meeting of the court in Warren on the first Monday in January, 1881, the following resolutions, offered by a committee appointed by the bar, were adopted:
WHEREAS, The term of office of Lansing D. Wetmore, president judge of the 37th Judicial District has expired, and he is about to retire from the bench, therefore be it
Resolved, That we, the members of the bar of Warren county, express to Judge Wetmore our great respect and esteem for him personally, and our high appreciation of his able, learned, and impartial administration of justice in the county.
Resolved, That as a judge he has been calm and impartial in investigation, independent without pride of opinion, just but merciful in judgment, earnestly striving to judge according to the law.
He has ever sincerely sought to establish truth and do impartial justice, and by his considerate politeness and courtesy towards all he has merited our special gratitude, and shown himself a kind and cultured gentleman, as well as a just and learned judge.
The pure and perfect gem of judicial authority which was committed to his keeping ten years ago he transmits to his- successor, still a diamond, not a stone, with its brilliancy undimmed, its lustre unimpaired.
Resolved, That the sincere and hearty good wishes of this bar follow Judge Wetmore into private life, and we hope and expect to see his ripe years and manhood crowned with even greener honors than those he to-day lays down.
With all his labors he is governed by a philosophy of good will and enjoys life as it passes. He has an exquisite taste in literary matters, and among those who are acquainted with his attainments is regarded as a just and discriminating critic. He was one of the original contributors to the first fund, and is now one of the trustees of the Struthers Library Building. Moreover, he is liberal and ready to promote by generous contributions all beneficent public institutions, and with the aid of his wife is constantly engaged in the dispensation of many and well-directed private charities
Judge Wetmore has been twice married. His first wife was Miss B. Wetherby, of Warren, who died in 1856, four years after their marriage, leaving one child, now the wife of Lientenant J. P. Jefferson, a graduate from West Point. In March, 1858, Judge Wetmore married Maria C. Shattuck, of Groton, Mass. They have three children, Edward D., Frederick S., and Albert L. Wetmore.
Return to top
WHEELER, Hon. Nelson P. - Tidioute, Pa. (brief personals, page ciii *)
Born in Portville, Cattaraugus county, N. Y., in 1841. He was a son of William F. and Flora (Atkins) Wheeler, of Cleveland. Mrs. Wheeler died in 1850, leaving a family of three children — N. P., William E., and Augusta, now Mrs. E. A. Skinner, of Westfield, N. Y. Nelson P. Wheeler was married in 1877 to Rachel A. Smith, a daughter of Captain Alexander Smith, in Cincinnati. They have a family of four children — Rachel F., Isabel S., Mary Atkins, and Nelson P., jr. In 1836 his father, William F. Wheeler, purchased interests in large tracts of land in Venango, now Forest county. Nelson P. came to that part of Venango county, which is now Forest county, in 1865; was county commissioner from 1868 to 1871, and was a member of Assembly in 1878-79. He is an extensive lumber manufacturer and shipper from Hickory and Tionesta, their improved band saw-mill and log railroad into the woods greatly facilitating the trade. He is also interested in lumbering establishments in northern Michigan, and has lately been prominent in locating and erecting a tannery at Hickory. He removed with his family to Tidioute in 1885, and was elected school director the same year.
Return to top
WHEELOCK, Edwin R. - Sugar Grove Twp (brief personals, page ciii *)
Born in Genesee county, N. Y., in the town of Sheldon August 24, 1827. He was a son of Abner and Lydia (Tillotson) Wheelock. Lydia was born in Genesee county, N. Y., Jannary [sic] 19, 1801, and her husband, Abner, was born in Charleston, Mass., October 9, 1796, and died on May 22, 1886. His wife, Lydia, died in July, 1871. They settled in Wayne township, Erie county, in 1830, where they resided until 1859, when they removed to Sugar Grove, where they resided up to the time of their deaths. They had a family of four sons — Charles A., George G., Edwin R., and Mathew G. Edwin R. was married on September 20, 1853, to Betsey Ann Allen, of Freehold township. They have had two sons born to them — Frank D. and George R. Edwin R. Wheelock settled in Warren county in 1842, and engaged in the manufacture and shipping of lumber, and in 1847 he, with his brother George, purchased the Mead Mill, in Mead township, where they resided until 1849, when they sold the mill to Joseph Hall and Charles Fisher, and purchased the David Allen mill in Freehold township, where he resided until 1870, when he removed to Sugar Grove, and built his present residence, which he now occupies. In 1875 he became engaged in the hardware business, under the firm name of Smith & Wheelock, and in 1879 the present firm of Wheelock & Son (Edwin R. and Frank D.), was formed. They deal in all classes of hardware, farmers' supplies, mowers, reapers, carriages, and ploughs. Mr. Wheelock is also engaged in the lumber business.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Edwin died April 18, 1914; Betsey Ann (Allen) Wheelock preceeded him in death on February 18, 1901. Both are buried in the Cherry Hill Cemetery, Sugar Grove township.]
Return to top
WHITE, Jay - Corydon, Corydon Twp. (pages 655-656 *)
Jay White is the grandson of Israel White, who died in Oneida county, N. Y., in 1812, and the son of Orange White, who died in Farmington, in this county, in January, 1877. He is a descendant, also, of Hugh White, the first settler at Whitestown, Oneida county, N. Y. Orange White was born in that county on the 13th of June, 1806, at the same time with a twin brother, Otis, who died within two years thereafter. He had five other brothers, Moses, Israel, George, Willard, and another Otis, all of whom are deceased, but who have numerous descendants in Oneida county at this day. In the winter of 1836-7, Orange White came to that part of Farmington township, Warren county, which was then a part of Sugar Grove, where he passed the remainder of his life. In the spring of 1867 he leased the homestead and removed to Lander, where his widow still resides. He was twice married, first to Bethilda Brainerd, of Oneida county, deceased in March, 1833, leaving one child, Delia, who died in 1861; and secondly, in January, 1837, to Nancy Robbins, who still lives. She was a daughter of Ebenezer Robbins, a lawyer of the town of Western, N. Y., and was the eldest of his thirteen children, all but two of whom are now living. Ebenezer Robbins lived to a ripe old age, and died about ten years ago, he and his wife within a short time of each other. Orange and Nancy White had nine children, all of whom are living, and all of whom but one are married. The subject of this sketch is the eldest of these children. He was born in Sugar Grove, now Farmington township, on the 1st day of October, 1837. There he received a common school education, remaining on his father's farm until he was twenty-one years of age. At that time he went to McHenry county, Ill., where he remained two years and six months, teaching and farming. From there he went to Howard county, la., where, until the spring of 1866, he taught and worked as clerk in a store. His next venture was in Busti, Chautauqua county, N. Y., where he engaged in the mercantile business, his father taking an interest in the trade until the fall of 1869. He then opened a store at Lander, in Farmington, and remained in that place for one year. His father, meantime, retained a financial interest in the store, and with him removed the stock from Lander to Corydon in the fall of 1870. Father and son remained partners five or six years in all, though Orange resided all the time in Farmington. After the dissolution of this partnership, Jay White continued the business alone until the fall of 1884, when he relinquished it and engaged largely in buying and selling lumber. He was persuaded to enter upon this occupation by the belief that the growing importance of Corydon village had already created a demand for dressed lumber, and the result has evinced the accuracy of his supposition. He does not manufacture' the lumber, but hires it dressed in a mill which he owns and rents. Although he has abandoned the mercantile business, he still owns several stores, which he leases. He has never been smitten with oil fever.
In politics Mr. White was formerly a Democrat, but for some three years he has favored and upheld the Prohibition party. He has held a number of the important township offices in Corydon, serving one term as justice of the peace, and being re-elected to the same office, though he did not qualify because he had been appointed postmaster. He also served two terms as school director. He was postmaster of Corydon for about ten years, and until the spring of 1886. For a number of years he carried on the only mercantile operations in the whole township, but the opening of the railroad in 1882 increased the importance of the place in the eyes of outsiders, and other merchants brought their stock hither.
His religious belief is in the final salvation of all. He is a friend of all churches and of good schools as the props of the good order, stability, and purity of society. He is at present one of the trustees of the Methodist Church in Corydon. He was the most generous contributor towards the building of the Methodist house of worship, and did more to assure its success than any other one person.
On the 19th of September, 1868, Mr. White married Alice, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Airron, formerly of Sugar Grove, then of Busti, N. Y., and for eight years last past members of Mr. White's household. They have two adopted children—Jay M. and Vernie M., children of Mrs. White's sister.
Return to top
WHITE, L. K. - Garland, Spring Creek Twp (brief personals, page civ *)
Born in Warren county in 1841. He was a son of Samuel and Louisa (Miles) White. Samuel was born in 1787, and died in 1852. His wife was born in 1797, and died in 1878. They had a family of eleven children born to them, six of whom are now living. L. K. White married Mary E. Elder, of Butler county. She was born in 1844. They had a family of eight children born to them—S. L., Effie B., H. E., W. R., Anna M., Lelia E., Clifford, Arliel, deceased. They now own and occnpy a farm of thirty-five acres.
Return to top
WHITEHEAD, James F. - McGraw p. o., Triumph Twp (brief personals, page civ *)
James Whitehead was born on Prince Edward Island, in 1845. He was a son of William and Rebecca Whitehead. James emigrated to Buffalo, N. Y., in 1864, was employed as a journeyman and ship carpenter. In 1867 he came to Venango, and in 1872 he settled in Triumph, and engaged in the production of oil in his own interest as well as that of others. He became superintendent for J. M. Clapp, in his oil interest in 1880. He was married in 1875, to Marcia Thompson, a daughter of Squire J. W. and Nancy (McMillin) Thompson. J. W. was born in Saratoga county, N. Y., and his wife, Nancy, was born in Hamilton county, O. James F. Whitehead purchased his homestead farm of 225 acres in 1883.
Return to top
WICKHIZER, John H. - Warren p. o., Conewango twp (brief personals, page cv *)
John H. Wickhizer was born in Monroe county in the year 1843, and came to Warren in 1869. He enlisted at Wilkesbarre in June, 1861, in Company F, Seventh Pennsylvania Reserves, was captured at Charles City Cross Roads, in the seven days fight in 1862, and served in the Confederate prisons at Libby and Belle Isle, where he was exchanged, and afterwards discharged for disability. He then re-enlisted in the 8th N. Y. Heavy Artillery, and served to the close of the war. In 1871 Mr. Wickhizer married Mary M., a daughter of Philip Trushel, by whom he has had two children. He is a contracting carpenter and joiner of Warren, and now resides in Glade. He is also a respected member of the Evangelical Church.
Return to top
WRIGHT, Stephen B. - Bear Lake p. o., Freehold twp (brief personals, page cvii *)
Stephen B. Wright was born in Chenango county, N. Y., 1818, and settled in Warren county in 1834. He was married in 1839 to Caroline Lopus, by whom he had a family of ten children, seven of whom are now living. Mr. Wright is a carpenter by trade. His father, Joseph Wright, married Sally Brooks, and to them were born seven children, three of whom are now living. Mrs. Wright's father, Isaac Lopus, was born in 1792, and served in the War of 1812, and now draws a pension. The list of the names of the children of Stephen B. Wright is as follows: Chester O. Wright, born in the year 1843, was married in the year 1864 to Rosa J. Walker. Mary E. Wright, born in the year 1845, was married in the year 1864 to Rev. Lucius Markham. Julia L. Wright, born in the year 1849, was married in the year 1871 to Harrison D. Hotchkiss, and died in the year 1874. Rosella R. Wright, born in the year 1852, was married in the year 1870 to Rev. James W. Wilson. Sarah J. Wright, born in the year 1852, was married in the year 1871 to Oscar H. Wilson. Joseph B. Wright, born in the year 1854, and died in the year 1857. Laura F. Wright, born in the year 1856, was married in the year 1878 to George N. Dorn. Clara A. Wright, born in the year 1858, was married in the 1878 to Thomas R. Hinckley. Cyrus N. Wright, born in the year 1860, and died in the year 1861. Ephraim L. Wright, born in the year 1865, and lives at home, is now twenty-one years old.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Rosella Wright was not born in 1852; she appears on the 1850 census, age 1/12]
Return to top
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2013 Penelope Repko and contributors
© 2008 - 2009 Bill Klauk and contributors