Part of the PAGenWeb Project
HAMILTON, James C.
HAMILTON, John B.
HANCHETT, Newton N.
HAMILTON, James C. - Sugar Grove *
James C. Hamilton was born in Sugar Grove in March, 1832, and
married Lucy Pratt, a daughter of L. H., and Julia Pratt, in 1860. She died in December,
1864, leaving two children, only one of whom is now living—Edgar R.
James C. married his second wife, Eliza F. Younie, in April, 1870. They have had one daughter born to them — Margaret S. Mr. Hamilton has been justice of the peace for fifteen years, and has been notary public since 1884, and has held most of the town offices. He was surveyor for twenty years. James C. was a son of John and Catherine (Brown) Hamilton. She was born in Belfast, Ireland, and John was a native of York county. They were married in Sugar Grove, in the first frame house that was ever erected in Warren county (still standing near the present residence of J. C. Hamilton), in 1815. They had a family of seven children born to them, four of whom are now living—John B., Mrs. A. C. Jackson, Mrs. Frazine, and James C.. Mr. John Hamilton came from Franklin and settled in Sugar Grove in 1827. He was sheriff of Venango county before the division, and afterward associate judge of Warren county.
(Warren County coordinator's note: James C. Hamilton's brother, John B. Hamilton, is listed below. More information about their parents is also included in John B.'s bio.)
Return to top
HAMILTON, John B. - Sugar Grove *
Mr. Hamilton is a retired gentleman, and was born in Sugar
Grove in 1827. He was a son of John and Catharine (Brown) Hamilton. John Hamilton was born in York, York county, in 1782, and his wife was born in Belfast, Ireland,
March 13, 1789. They were married in Warren county in 1815. They had a
family of seven children born to them, four of whom are living—Mrs. Jane D. Jackson,
Mrs. Emeline C. Frazine, John B., and James C.. Two of the children died at an early
age. John Hamilton died October 29, 1857, and his wife, Catherine, died September
27, 1862. John Hamilton settled in Sugar Grove in 1827. His wife came to Warren
county about 1804 with her brothers, David, John, William, and James Brown,
John Hamilton, sr., was sheriff of Venango county before the division; he was also
side judge of Warren county and an early teacher.
Return to top
HANCHETT, Newton N. - Tidioute *
Owner and proprietor of the Hanchett House in Tidioute, Newton was born in Erie county in 1843, son of Cyrus and Mary (Reed) Hanchett. Cyrus was born in New York State, and Mary in Erie county. They both died in Erie county in 1852, leaving a family of six children. Newton married Mary Bakley, of Crawford county, in 1864; they have one son — Frank. They settled in Tidioute in 1865, he for a time laboring for others, but finally engaging in oil speculations till 1874, when he embarked in the hotel business. In 1883 he purchased his present hotel, located on Main street, one block from the depot; it is the popular house of the borough.
Return to top
HAZELTINE, Abner *
Abner Hazeltine, the first located lawyer in the county, came here in 1818, remained until 1825, then moved to Jamestown; but continued his practice in Warren until the infirmities of age compelled him to withdraw. He was a man of average ability, great industry, unpretentious, but a good lawyer and a man of sterling integrity; in moral character a model.
Return to top
HERTZEL, Andrew - Warren *
Andrew was born near Strasbourg, in Alsace, France, now Germany, on the 6th of January, 1829. His father, Christian Hertzel, a carpenter by trade, was born in Switzerland in 1788, and went to Alsace when a young man. In 1832 he left Europe, and in April of the following year reached Warren, Pa. He died in February, 1841. He was twice married, and had one son by his first wife, and five sons and a daughter by his second. The second wife, Marie, mother of the subject of this sketch, died in the fall of 1853. Of her six children, five are now living, as follows: Jacob, in Iowa, Philip, in Pleasant township, in this county, Martin, in Glade, Andrew, in Warren, and Mary, the wife of M. E. Stranger, of Downer's Grove, Ill.
Andrew Hertzel was but just past four years of age when he was brought
by his parents to Warren county. His father settled in Warren borough, and for two years worked by the day at common labor. He then purchased fifty
acres of timbered land in Pleasant, and in the pathless forest erected his little
log hut. Andrew, being the youngest of the children, did not have much to do
in clearing the farm at first, but at a very early age was utilized in various
ways. His father, in two years, added fifty acres to his original purchase.
He remained at home until 1845, when, at the age of seventeen years became
to Warren, which has ever since been his home. Here he began to learn the
blacksmith's trade under an agreement to work for three and a half years as
an apprentice to S. J. Page, which contract he performed. He continued in
Mr. Page's employment until April, 1852, when he purchased his employer's
shop and tools, and became an independent artisan. He did not relinquish
this business until 1872, at which time other investments which demanded
his entire time, drew him from the anvil. As early as 1860 he was drawn
by circumstances into the lumber trade, and two years later purchased timbered
tracts in Limestone township. From 1866 to 1870 he devoted his sole
time and attention to the development of this industry with success. He has
not abandoned the business, but is still interested in the trade. He owns some
timber in Forest county. He runs most of his lumber down the river in rafts
to the various markets — Pittsburgh and below. In 1872 he became interested
in the oil business in Clarion county. But when they developed the
petroleum interest in Warren he transferred his interest to the county of his
adoption. He is still connected with oil operations and has owned interests in
twenty wells at one time. He owns a quarter interest in the Warren gristmill,
which he acquired when it was rebuilt in the fall of 1881, and helped to
rebuild the present structure. Mr. Hertzel has never been desirous of hoarding
his money, but immediately upon acquiring it seeks some safe channel in
which to set it in circulation. He has owned stock in the First National Bank
of Warren ever since its incorporation, and has been a director of the Citizens'
National Bank from the time of its organization.
A city full of rich misers might be a temptation to plunderers, but not to
laborers, nor to men who look for enterprises in which they may safely invest
their capital. Money does no good to the world while it is locked in chests
or buried in the earth. It is the free circulation of wealth which at once marks
and creates a prosperous community. Mr. Hertzel and men of his stamp have
made Warren proverbial throughout the State for its enterprise and progressive
energy. As an example of this praiseworthy public spirit, may be related
briefly the circumstances attending the construction of the bridge over the
Allegheny River to the township of Pleasant. In the winter of 1870-71 they,
after suffering inconvenience about twenty years from having no bridge across
this river at Warren, began to agitate the question of the feasibility of building
such a structure. They at once communicated with a number of eminent civil
engineers and bridge builders throughout the country, particularly with the Roeblings, and afterward with George W. Fischler, of Elmira. In the same
winter they organized a stock company under the name of the Pleasant Bridge
Company. Negotiations resulted in the hiring of Mr. Fischler, by the month,
to build the bridge. It was crossed in November, 1871, but was not completed
until the next year. The cost of construction and of subsequent repairs
was about $45,000. Mr. Hertzel has ever since remained the president
of the company, and may justly be proud of the monument to his public spirit
In 1881 another company was formed under the name of the Allegheny
Bridge Company, which built a bridge across the river two miles above Warren,
and Mr. Hertzel was from the first a stockholder, and is now the treasurer
of that company.
In the upbuilding of the material prosperity of the town and its advancement
in every way, Mr. Hertzel has undoubtedly done as much, at least in
proportion to his means, as any man who ever lived in the county. In 1864,
in company with two others, he built the Union block. In 1870 he and Mr.
Nesmith erected the clothing store which now the joins the Union block on
the east. He has also been interested in many other building operations. In
1867 he contributed more than any other two men toward the erection of the
Lutheran Church, which was finished two years later. During the two years
in which it was in process of construction he superintended the work, devoting
much valuable time to the task. He was a member of the town council when
the new town hall was built, and was made the superintendent of its construction.
In literary and educational matters he has taken the same unselfish interest,
and generously assisted the inauguration of the library society which
preceded the Struthers Library. He also contributed one hundred dollars toward
the purchase of the lot on which the Struthers library building now
Politically, Mr. Hertzel was during the greater part of his life a Democrat,
but for four years or more he has voted the Prohibition ticket, believing that
the greatest evil in the country and world can never be eradicated until a
powerful public sentiment will support proper legislation prohibiting it. In
this Mr. Hertzel evinces that he has the courage of his convictions. He has
never desired to hold public office, although he has accepted office where he
conveniently could, for the reason that he holds it to be the duty of every honest
citizen to bear his proportion of the public burden. He has held a seat in the
town council many years, and has been burgess, school director, etc. He is a
member of the Lutheran Evangelical Church, and for years has been a trustee
of its affairs. He contributes also to the support of other churches. He is in
addition a trustee of twelve years standing of the Lutheran College at Greeneville,
Andrew Hertzel married, November 30th, 1851, Mary, daughter of John Reig, of Warren. Mrs. Hertzel is also a native of Alsace. They have had a family of six children, five of whom are sons. Two children died in infancy. The eldest, Isabel, died in March, 1876, aged twenty-three years, then the wife of Frederick Morck. She left one child, Gertrude W. Morck, who now lives with her grandparents. The eldest son, Albert G. Hertzel, born in September, 1854, died in November, 1884, while holding the position of cashier of the Citizens' National Bank, leaving one child, Eda May; Freeman E., born September 29, 1865, and Roy Laird, born July 8, 1871.
Return to top
HERTZEL, William A.
, Warren p. o., Mead, is a farmer, and was born in Pleasant township August 7, 1853. He was a son of George and Emeline (Schuler) Hertzel, who were natives of Alsace, France, and early settlers in Pleasant township. Later they moved to Mead township, where they cleared and improved the farm which is now owned by Emeline Hertzel, and occupied by William A. and his brother Philip. His paternal grandparents were Christian and Saloma (Asher) Hertzel, who came to Warren in 1833, and settled in Pleasant township in 1835, on the farm now occupied by their son, Philip Hertzel. They had a family of six children—George, Jacob, Philip, Martin, Andrew, and Mary; of these, George had a family of five children — Sally, Emeline, George, Philip, and William. William A. Hertzel was married August 5, 1877, to Ella Gant, a daughter of John and Mahala (Morrison) Gant, of Mead township. They have had two children born to them, Harry and Cora.
HUNTER, Jahu - Tidioute *
p. o., Glade, was born in Limestone township, Warren county, in 1830. He was a son of Matthew and Sarah (Magill) Hunter, who was born in Warren county. Their parents came from eastern Pennsylvania, and settled here about 1800. They had a family of ten children, five of whom are now living, Jahu and four sisters. His parents died on the homestead farm. Jahu married Margaret R. Magee, of Limestone township, January 1, 1860 — a daughter of Alexander G. and Nancy (Smith) Magee. They had two children — Livingston L. and Leila L.. Leila L. died in 1883, aged eleven years. Jahu was reared on his father's farm in Limestone township, and was engaged in making and marketing pine timber from 1850 to 1857; then came to Tidioute and engaged in the mercantile business until 1860. He then disposed of his mercantile business and entered into the business of producing crude petroleum; also the manufacturing and shipping of sawed lumber. He again became engaged in the mercantile business in 1868, under the firm name of Mabie & Hunter, and continued a successful business until 1882, when he disposed of his interest to his partner, W. H. H. Mabie. He was one of the original stockholders of the Tidioute Savings Bank. He was also one of the charter members of the Tidioute and Economy Bridge Company, that built the fine wire suspension bridge spanning the Allegheny River at Tidioute in 1873. He owns some stock in the Tidioute Chair Factory. He is interested in the Missouri Lumber and Mining Company. He is also a member of the firm of Hunter & Cumings, who have been engaged in producing crude petroleum since 1873. He built him a very pleasant home in Tidioute, on the corner of Main and Walnut streets in 1876, where he now resides.
Return to top
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2012 Penelope Repko and contributors
© 2008 - 2009 Bill Klauk and contributors