village of Transfer originated
in the differences of railroad gauge. It will be remembered that in the
earlier days of railroad building, the width of the tracks was not
standard. Some tracks were “broad gauge" and some were “narrow gauge.”
The varying gauges of course made it impossible for the cars of a
narrow-gauge line to run over a broad-gauge track, and vice versa.
Instead of switching cars from one railroad to another, as is now the
common practice, it was necessary at junction points to transfer the
freight from one line to another.
Transfer station was originally a name with a real significance. Where
the Erie Railroad and the Erie and Pittsburg meet, a transfer station
was established, and formerly this was a busy place. A postoffice was
established there in January, 1866, with
James D. Morris as postmaster. Since the early years of
this village the Frampton
family have been identified with its business and other affairs,
several of the first members of the Regular Baptist church of Transfer
being of this family.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, page 170
Transfer is located on the Erie
& Pittsburgh and the N. Y. P. & 0. (Erie) Railroads,
near, the point where the latter line deflects to the west. It is a
point of considerable business activity. It has two churches, the
Presbyterian and the Baptist.
of Mercer County,
1888, page 576