Mercer County PAGenWeb

Townships Boroughs Villages 




Orangeville, formerly known as Haun’s Mills, is located on the Pymatuning Creek, the greater part lying in Ohio. That portion is incorporated, and contains the post-office, while a flouring-mill, hotel, etc., is on this side of the line. The first settler was Jacob Loutzenhiser, who erected a saw and grist-mill in 1798. The building was a hewed log structure, and the motive power was supplied by a huge under-shot wheel, twenty-five feet in diameter, operated by a race from Pymatuning Creek On the 19th of April, 1802, Loutzenhiser sold the mills to Adam Haun, who carried them on many years. A mill has ever since existed at that point, a very good one being now [1888]  operated by S. L. Hendrickson.

At an early day a woolen-mill was built by Mr. Hull, the father of George E. Hull, of Orangeville. It served an excellent purpose, but was burned down on the 3d of April, 1888.

On the 20th of March 1838, a small craft, known as the “Orangeville Packet,” left Orangeville, at the mouth of Booth Run, where it was built, destined for Galena, Ill. It contained the three families of St. Clair, Casper and Carnes, and was intended to go via the Pymatuning Creek and the Shenango, Big Beaver, Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to its destination. It sailed on its way grandly, distributing its crew at various points along the route, but is understood never to have returned. This is the only expedition of the kind that ever descended the Pymatuning. 

History of Mercer County, 1888, page 576



located in South Pymatuning Township

also known as Haun's Mills

If you're looking for your ancestors in Orangeville, try the Census for Pymatuning Twp 1850  & 1870

   State Line Cemetery (Orangeville Cemetery)

According to the History of Mercer County, 1877

Orangeville, formerly known as Haun’s Mill, is located upon Pymatuning Creek, and lies partly in Ohio.  Its first settler and founder, was Jacob Loutzenhiser,  but [Adam]Haun, the purchaser of the property, gained the honor of connecting his name with it for years after Loutzenhiser was forgotten.  The portion lying in Ohio, has been incorporated a borough, but the Pennsylvania section is merely a village, and contains two churches, a large hotel, drug-store, depot, and mill.  The school and post office are in Ohio, although the latter was formerly in Pennsylvania.  The Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1836, and the old house is now used as a barn - - about fifteen rods from the present building - - which is a vast improvement upon its predecessor.  The Pymatuning is a rapid and clear stream, at this point, and contains excellent water-power.  A cheese-factory was erected a little east of the village, in 1873, and since then has been doing a good business.

(Source: History of Mercer County, 1877, page 63)

 Return to Villages Home Page