only village in [French Creek] township is Milledgeville. It was
laid out upon donation lot 1,063 in 1851, the land on which it stands
being owned at the time by William
U. Cooper, Andrew Williams and William Edeburn. The
surveyor was John Farver.
The first dwelling-house erected in it was owned by Arthur Scott. William McCabe
built the first frame dwelling.
of Mercer County, 1888, page 553.
settlement called Milledgeville
was officially begun in 1851, when the plat was surveyed. One or two
mills had been operated here some years before, and after the laying
out of the village a congregation of the Christian denomination was
organized (in 1852) and in 1858 the Milledgeville Presbyterian church.
The Deer Creek Methodist church had been organized a little after 1840,
and their house of worship was about a mile and a half from the
village. The postoffice was established in August, 1839, under the name
of Deer Creek, with William R.
Cooper as postmaster. The name was changed to
Milledgeville in 1852. Rural delivery brought about the abandonment of
Century History of Mercer County,
Landowners in and
near Milledgeville, from the 1873
Combined Atlas of Mercer County