was a prominent early settler on a tract of land between Wolf creek and
North Liberty. The place was called
Georgetown, and a village of that name was once
started but failed to grow. His brick house, built about 1828, was a
landmark in that section, and his activity in various works entitle him
to distinction in this history coal was mined on his place about 1822,
and just across the line in Butler county a company of which he was a
member struck the first oil and gas well in this part of the state, in
1838. He was also one of the early county commissioners.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, pages 160-161
An embryo village named Georgetown was pushed
into life on a portion of [James]
George's farm, but, as it was located near an unhealthy
swamp, the enterprise was abandoned.
of Mercer County, 1888, page 557