Allowing you to research family history, one link at a time!
Greene County, Pennsylvania was named for Nathanial GREENE on Feb. 9, 1796. The county was born when John Minor sponsored a bill in which legislated that this southern portion of Washington County, Pennsylvania become a separate county. Waynesburg, the county seat is named after General "MAD" Anthony WAYNE who led the army to defeat the Indians in the Northwest territory, what today is the Ohio Valley. Greene County, Pennsylvania is located in the southwestern corner of the state of Pennsylvania. It's bordered by the counties of Washington to the north, Fayette to the east, Monongalia County, West Virginia to the south and Marshall County, West Virginia to the west. Greene County, Pennsylvania is also part of the Monongahela Valley of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
From 1775-1780 Greene County, Pennsylvania was claimed by Virginia. Most of the eastern portion was Monongalia County, Virginia and the western quarter was Ohio County, Virginia. Springhill Township was located in the northern strip that was part of Pennsylvania.
For research purposes in Greene County prior to 1796 look in: Washington & Westmoreland Counties in Pennsylvania and Monongalia & Ohio Counties in West Virginia.