Historical Sketch of the Quiet Dell BrethrenChurch
submittedby David Mackey
[From a 1943mimeographed church bulletin observing the church’s 50th anniversaryand homecoming. The church is located on Palmer Road at theintersection of Quiet Dell Road, Aleppo Twp., Greene Co., Pa.]
Materialassembled by Mr. Bud Wise.
Most of thecharter members of this church were formerly members of the AleppoBrethren Church and held their first service in the Quiet Dell SchoolHouse. At least one revival was held in the Mt. Carmel Church of God,then later another meeting was held by J. B. Wampler in the school justprior to the plans for a new building.
The churchwas organized August 13th, 1893, with J. M. Murray as the first pastor.He was the moving spirit as they met in the school and for many yearsafter.
Rev.Spanogle preached the sermon of dedication.
Thecarpenters who built the church were Alfred Wood, Adam Miller, J.B.Miller. All now deceased.
The stonefor the foundation was taken from the Fred Wise farm and hauled by BudWise. It was hand dressed and laid in the foundation by John Staggersand Perry Wood.
The lumberfor the frame of the building was cut on the Wise farm and sawed at theold saw mill which was located across the creek from the church.
The lumberfor the seats was sawed at the same mill, kiln dried, then hauled toCameron [W.Va.] to the planning mill and dressed. The seats were madeby Henry Wise, Alfred Wood and Adam Miller.
The sand forthe plastering was dug from a sand bank near where Monty Wood now livesand hauled by Bud Wise. The lime was slacked [slaked] by digging a holein the ground about the size of a barrel. This was filled with lime andcovered with water. The old fashioned plaster of hair, lime and sandwas put on by George W. Simms. The lathing was done by Alfred Wood,J.B. Miller and Bud Wise.
The paintingwas done by Dowler Bros.
The choir atthe dedication were: J.S. McCormick and J.H. Wise, tenor; RachelMiller, Lizzie Wood, Maggie Hartzel, soprano; Edna Simms, alto; WilliamCaldwell, Alfred Wood and Adam Miller, bass. There were others whommemory and records do not reveal.
The organwas purchased in Wheeling [W.Va.] by Henry Wise and was played by BudWise, the one who collected these facts.
Fred Wisewas janitor of the church from the time of its dedication until hisdeath in 1912.
Henry Wisealong with J.M. Murray were perhaps the ones who did most to father thechurch in its early days.
Former Pastors of the Quiet Dell Church
J.M. Murrayfrom its beginning to 1912
BernardSnyder [no dates given]
J. EdgarBerkshire 1940-1941
PaulBurket summer of 1941
Most ofthese dates are approximate and we may even be mistaken in the order inwhich these men were here. We are sorry to confess that our records arenot as complete as we would like.
Amimeographed church bulletin from the 75th anniversary observance, Oct.13, 1968, adds this information:
Atthe close of the fiftieth anniversary celebration in 1943 it wasdecided to start a redecoration and building fund to redecorate theinterior and to secure new pews. The idea grew until it now includesnew heating equipment and electric lights,.with the possible hope forthe future of new carpet for the platform and aisles.
Theold pews for which there were [sic] considerable sentiment werecarefully dismantled and replaced and used for paneling across the backand in front of the platform. Draperies were added to form two classrooms and make space for our communion service. The W.M.S. [Women’sMissionary Society] added venetian blinds to the windows. All of thisgreatly adds beauty and lends a worshipful atmosphere. Theseinnovations have been accomplished during the pastorate of Arthur Baer.
Inthe late summer of 1968, the members joined together in repairing andpainting the fence around the church.
[this75th anniversary bulletin adds the following to the list of pastors]
ArthurR. Baer 1942-51
CecilBolton Jr. 1954-64
C.Edward West Jr. 1967 –