CHAPTER XXXVII.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. ó NEW BRITAIN.

V.B. CLYMER, wholesale dealer in cattle, hogs, etc., P.O. Chalfont, was born in Warrington township, Bucks county, in 1845. The Clymer family is one of the oldest in the township, and have always been highly esteemed. Henry Clymer, grandfather of V.B., married Christiana Culp of this county. They were the parents of eleven children, Henry being the third son. He married Mary Benner, by whom he had eleven children, seven of whom are still living. Henry Clymer died in 1865. V.B. Clymer was a son of this couple, attended the common schools until he was fifteen years of age, when he learned the carpenterís trade. He afterwards removed to his present location, and engaged in milling. In 1881 he lost his property by fire, and commenced his present business, which he carried on extensively in connection with butchering, shipping principally to Philadelphia markets. In 1870 he married Emma, daughter of Christian and Susanna H. Haldeman, of this county. They are the parents of two daughters: Flora May, aged 15 years; and Elsie, aged 7 years. Mr. Clymer is a member of the New Britain Baptist church. In politics he is a republican.

EDWIN CRESSMAN, miller, P.O. Line Lexington, was born in Rockhill township in 1856. Philip and Annie (Gearhart) Cressman were the parents of five children, of whom Edwin was the second son. He was a student at the public schools until 15 years of age. He never served an apprenticeship before engaging in his present business, in 1885 he married Lizzie, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Leidy) Bachman. They have one child, Florence. Not enjoying the opportunities of many of the young men of to-day, Mr. Cressman by his industry and perseverance has succeeded in establishing himself firmly in business, and is liberally patronized by his neighbors. In 1885 he purchased the mill property, where all kinds of flour and feed are produced. The mill is propelled by a twenty-horse power engine. Mr. Cressman is a member of the German Reformed church and a democrat.

FRANCIS J. CURLEY, farmer, P.O. Chalfont, was born in Galway county, Ireland, in 1828. His grandfather was Nicholas Curley, who married Margaret McDermott, and had three sons and two daughters. Nicholas, the youngest of this family, married Bridget Burns. The result of this union was a son and three daughters, all living. Francis J. was the second child. He attended pay school until 11 years of age, and from that age until 14 years of age he was a student at the National school. Mr. Curley remained on his fatherís farm until 1848, when he came to America and spent three years on a farm near Philadelphia. In 1855 he married Marie, daughter of Gerald and Annie Kelley, who at the age of 16 years came with her parents from Ireland. Three children have been born to this marriage: William N., Francis J. and Marguerite, the first two being married. In 1857 Mr. Curley came to Bucks county and engaged in farming. In 1875 he purchased a mill property near his farm, where all kinds of family milling are done. For the past few years he has not taken much active part in the work of his farm, but under his personal supervision the work is profitably carried on. He is also engaged in marketing produce to Philadelphia weekly. He is a member of the Catholic church, and in politics is independent, casting his ballot at all times for whom he thinks the best man. He has many times held the position of trustee for orphans.

HENRY DEWAELE, merchant and manufacturer, P.O. Doylestown, was born December 18, 1829, in Belgium. Joseph Dewaele, his father, married Catherine Van Croyenest, by whom he had eleven children, of whom Henry was the tenth. At the age of 15 years he left school to engage in the active pursuits of life. He served an apprenticeship at the watch trade, after which he continued for seven years in that business and wine-growing. In 1884 he married Natalie Valcke, and they had five children: Silva, born in 1855; Rosa, born 1860; Julius; born 1864; Adolph and Charles, who were twins, in 1870. The mother of these children died in 1885. For thirty years previously to engaging in his present business, Mr. Dewaele carried on the manufacture of linen goods in this and his native country. In 1872 he immigrated to Philadelphia and in 1885 moved to Bucks county, where he has since been engaged in the general merchandise business, fruit-growing, and the manufacture of grape wine. Mr. Dewaele has always been an active business man, and though his declining years will not permit of his personal participation in the various branches of industry, yet under his supervision they are successfully carried on,

JOHN GEIL, farmer, P.O. Chalfont, was born in Bucks county in 1819. His paternal grandfather came to this country from Germany, and was the father of John Geil. The latter married Elizabeth Pretz, by whom he had nine children, eight of whom lived to maturity, our subject being the second son. John Geil was a well-known Mennonite preacher; his congregation was at Line Lexington. He was also a republican in politics. He was born in New Britain township, April 1, 1778, and died January 9, 1866. He was pastor of the Mennonite church fifty-five years. He was a man of intelligence, read quite a great deal, wrote wills, deeds, agreements, etc., yet he went to school but a few months. John Geil, Jr., was born in the house where he now lives, and was reared on a farm, remaining there until he was 28 years of age. He married Sarah, daughter of Jesse Roe, who bore him three children: Samuel S., born December 19, 1857; Mary Frances, born July 31, 1850; and Margaret, born October 13, 1853. His first wife died in 1859, and he was again married, in 1862, to Lydia, daughter of Isaac and Catherine Strouse, of this county. They have no issue. Mr. Geil has travelled a great deal, and has owned land and carried on farming in Ohio and Indiana. He is a great reader, and is well informed on the topics of the day. He is a republican politically.

WILSON HALDEMAN, proprietor of creamery, P.O. Chalfont, was born in this county in 1845. About the year 1700 the original Haldemans came to America from Germany in the persons of two brothers, one of whom never married. It is believed that the Haldemans in the United States are all descended from the other brother. John R., the father of Wilson, married Mary, the daughter of Henry Hohlbain, of this county, and had two children, only one of whom, Wilson, is still living. He was educated in the common schools and in business college at Philadelphia. He engaged in general merchandise business for seventeen years at Chalfont; the store property he still owns. Having sold his business, in 1881 he was elected by the board of directors secretary of the creamery, he being one of the original stockholders. In 1885 he purchased the works and a partnership was formed under the firm name of Savidge & Haldeman. One year afterward Mr. Haldeman assumed entire control, and the establishment is now operated under his management. A ten-horse power engine and a twelve-horse power boiler are used. Butter and cheese are manufactured, and during the summer months ice cream. Mr. Haldeman was married in 1873 to Emma, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Eckert, and has three children: Florence, and Emerson and Orris (twins). Mrs. Haldeman died in 1886. Our subject has been auditor of the township eight years, and is a republican. He is a member of the Doylestown lodge No. 245, A.Y.M.

WILLIAM HAWKINS, manufacturer, P.O. New Britain, was born in Yeovil Marsh, Somersetshire, England, March 22, 1814, and is the second son of William and Lydia Hawkins. He received but two weeksí schooling, and his early years were spent in caring for his little sisters. His parents had fifteen children, nine of whom grew up, were married, and in 1842 all settled in America. The father died at the age of 62 and the mother at 77. At the age of seven years William began to work for his support. When eleven years old he was put to learn the trade of kid-glove cutting. After serving six months for one shilling per week, he was, in 1825, apprenticed for eight years. The first year he received 18 pence per week, and was advanced 6 pence per week each year until the close of his apprenticeship. The hours for work were in summer from 6 A.M. till 8 P.M., and in winter from daylight till 9 P.M. His master was William Snook, for whom he worked about six months after his apprenticeship expired. Afterward he worked for Mr. C. Foan about five and one half years, at the end of which time he had saved about one hundred pounds. He then worked six months for Mr. Keddle. August 4, 1840, he was married to Sarah Gilbert, daughter of a respectable family, and a milliner and dressmaker. Mr. and Mrs. Hawkins sailed for America on the 9th of September, 1840, and landed in New York after a voyage of five weeks and three days. Not obtaining work Mr. Hawkins went to Boonton, N.J., where his brother John was living. Here his wife opened a millinery and dressmaking establishment, and soon did a good business. June 28, 1841, a son was born, who died in infancy. In 1841 Mr. Hawkins went to Philadelphia and engaged in business for six months with a partner, and afterward alone, being the first manufacturer of white kid in that city. Prejudice was strong against American made goods, but Mr. Hawkins by patience and perseverance overcame the difficulty. In 1850 he experienced a great loss by fire. Later on (1855) he increased his business by dressing calf skins. During the first year of the civil war (1861), he purchased a lot, and in the following year erected a factory where he is now. The loft of this factory was first used in drilling recruits for the army. This place is at 206 Willow street. In 1875 he associated with him Lawrence Hawkins and James F. Radford. The firm then assumed the name of Hawkins & Co. The firm takes the skins in the hair and finishes them complete. They manufacture gloves, English kid, white and black calf kid gloves, etc. Hawkins & Co. sell their goods in all parts of the country and have a well-earned reputation. At the age of 21 Mr. Hawkins became a member of the Independent church, and continued with that denomination until he came to America. When they went to Philadelphia he and his wife joined the First Presbyterian church of Northern Liberties. In the summer of 1843 they went to Montgomery, Pa., and were baptized by Rev. William Mathews. January 25, 1846, they were united with the Second Baptist church of Philadelphia, and in October, 1859, Mr. Hawkins was ordained deacon. In 1872 they removed to New Britain township, Bucks county. Mrs. Hawkins died in 1877. Mr. Hawkins has given eleven sets of Dr. Gillís Commentaries to different churches, and over $50,000 in money to churches and benevolent objects. In politics he is a republican.

JACOB T. HILLPOT, farmer, P.O. Chalfont, was born in Tinicum township, Bucks county, in 1840. George Adam Hillpot, the great-grandfather of Jacob T., married Maria Phillippina Schnauffer, who bore him five sons and four daughters. At the age of forty years this pioneer died of fever contracted in the revolutionary war. Frederick Hillpot was a son of this patriot. He married Susanna Stem, by whom he had five sons and four daughters. Samuel, the third child, married Eva Trauger, of this county, and they were the parents of four children: Joseph, a clergyman; Hannah (Mrs. Grouver), Jacob T. and Susanna (Mrs. Ahlum). Jacob T. Hillpot attended school until he was 19 years of age. In 1873 he married Lydia, daughter of Joseph and Rosanna Ahlum, of this county. They have, no issue. Mr. Hillpot lived on his fatherís farm until he purchased his present farm in 1882. He is a member of the Lutheran church and a democrat.

SAMUEL G. KERNS, coach-maker, P.O. Chalfont, is a grandson of John Adam and Catherine (Shaffer) Kerns. They had five sons and one daughter. Samuel, their youngest child, married Catherine Geiger, of Montgomery county, Pa., to whom two sons and two daughters were born, our subject, Samuel G., being the youngest son and third child. The ancestors came from Holland. Samuel G. received a common-school education, and at the age of 18 years learned the coach-building trade, serving an apprenticeship of three years and following his trade in this and many Western states. In 1859 he came to the East and in 1863 was married to Elmira, daughter of John and Elizabeth Eckhart, of Newville, this county. Three children were born to them: Franklin P., Willard Van (deceased) and Oliver E. Both Sons are at home with their father. Since 1863 Mr. Kerns has been located at his present place of business. He manufactures and repairs all kinds of heavy and light wagons, etc. In 1862 he volunteered as a private in the Union army and for fourteen months was exposed to the dangers of war. He was engaged in the battle of Chancellorsville and at Gettysburg. Being wounded he was honorably discharged from duty. Mr. Kerns is a Lutheran and a democrat..

HARVEY KRATZ, physician and surgeon, P.O. New Britain, was born in Plumstead township, Bucks county, September 2, 1838, and is a son of Jacob S. and Elizabeth (Fretz) Kratz, natives of this county. The Kratz family came from Switzerland and located in this county in the latter part of the seventeenth century. Philip Kratz, grandfather of Harvey, resided in Plumstead township, where he was a farmer and owned a large tract of land. He died in 1846, aged 66 years. He was the father of seven children, three now living. Our subjectís father was born in 1803 in Plumstead township, where he resided the greater part of his life. He was a farmer and died at Collegeville, Montgomery county, November 22, 1885. He was the father of six children, four of whom are living: Margaret, Emma, Laura (deceased), Harvey, William H. and Jacob T. (deceased). Doctor Harvey, our subject, was reared on a farm until 16 years of age; when he entered the high school at Collegeville and was afterward for several terms a student at Carversville. In 1860 he took up the study of medicine under Doctor I.S. Moyer. In the fall of the same year he attended lectures at the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, and graduated in 1862, after which he began to practise at Mount Pleasant, Hilltown township, where he remained until 1884. Although enjoying a good practice he was desirous of a new location, and consequently came to New Britain, where he has since built up a large practice. He has a fine residence, which he has remodelled since coming here. In March, 1864, he married Sarah, daughter of Francis Rinker. They have eleven children, ten of whom are living: Lizzie, Bertha V., Rebecca M., Anna W., Charles S., Sarah, Margaret, Hannah, Esther and Emma. Doctor Kratz is a director of the Doylestown First National bank, president of the Hilltown turnpike and also president of the Self-Defence horse company. He is also a member of the State Medical society, the American Medical association and the Bucks County Medical society, of which he is the secretary. He is regarded by all as a prominent and influential citizen. His wife is a member of the Lutheran church.

ZACHARIAH LEIDY, real estate agent, P.O. Chalfont, was born in Montgomery county in 1814. His great-grandfather came from Germany. Jacob, the son of this early settler, was married to a Miss Scholl, and had five sons and four daughters. John, the oldest son and child, was married to Mary Groff. Zachariah is the youngest of their four children. His mother died when he was only four months old. Later his father was married to the widow of Jacob Gerhart. Two daughters were the result of this marriage. Our subject was married in 1835 to Catherine A., daughter of Philip Gable, of Montgomery county, to whom five children were born: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Mary, Amanda and Emma. Amanda, now Mrs. Doughty, of Hartsville, Bucks county, is their only surviving child. Being the youngest son, our subject was sent away from home at the age of 7 years. When 18 years old he learned the tannerís trade and started in business for himself. His tannery was located in Hilltown township. Being of an enterprising disposition, he was soon engaged in a lucrative business, which he carried on for fifteen years. He erected several dwelling-houses near his own and built up a town which now bears his name. He also erected a temperance hotel which he kept in connection with a general store. In 1863 he removed, to Chalfont, then Whitehallville, and engaged in the real estate business. He is a director of the Whitehall Fire Insurance and Chalfont Storm Insurance companies, and in the year 1886 insured property to the amount of $200,000. When 16 years old, he joined the church and at the age of 22 was elected deacon. In the year 1853 he with several other members erected the present Leidytown Presbyterian church, in which he was an elder for about twenty-two years. About ten years ago he was instrumental in building the Presbyterian chapel at Chalfont, a branch of the Leidytown church. He gave the ground on which the above-mentioned church is built and has always rendered financial support in time of need. He is a republican, and the prohibition cause has in him a sincere advocate.

CHARLES (or KARL) MASSINGER, farmer, P.O. Chalfont, was born in Kaiserlantern Rhinepfals, Bavaria, August 17, 1832. There is probably not another family in the United States who bear this name, except one in New York city, and it is supposed that the above was the original spelling of the name which is now pronounced Messinger. Jacob and Catherine (Wenzel) Massinger were the parents of four children: Charles, Magdalena, Babette, and Louisa. In 1850 Mr. Massinger emigrated to America, landing in New York on July 4th of that year, settled in Hilltown township till 1854, and from that date till 1865 traveled from Hilltown north, south, and as far west as the Rocky mountains, and in 1865 visited his native country, returning the same year. From 1860 to 1867 he was engaged in gold mining at Pikeís Peak, and in 1867 returned and settled in New Britain township. He was married in 1867 to Mary Amanda, daughter of Samuel and Annie Heckler, of Hilltown township, this county, and has six children: C. Jerome, now studying medicine; Eber M., Wesley, H. Omray, William and K. Mabel, at home. Mr. Massinger, since his final settlement in the place, has devoted his time to looking after his farm. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a democrat.

ABEL J. MATHEWS, physician and druggist, P.O. Chalfont. It was about the year 1712 that Simon Mathews, with a party of emigrants, came from Wales to America and settled in this neighborhood. In 1713, to this pioneer was born a son, John, who married Diana Thomas. They were the parents of ten children, of whom three died in infancy. Joseph, born 1747, the youngest son, married Sarah Thomas, who bore him two children, both dying young. His wife, Sarah, died and he afterward married Lydia Eaton, and by her had two children, John and Joseph. Joseph, born 1789, was the eldest child, and married Hannah, daughter of William and Elizabeth Hines. They were the parents of eight children: Simon, the oldest son, married Elizabeth, daughter of Philip Trumbower, of this county, and had three children, all living. Attending the common schools till the age of 18 years, Mr. Mathews commenced at the age of 19 years to study medicine, and in 1870 entered Jefferson Medical college at Philadelphia, graduating in 1873. Although not a graduate in pharmacy, he passed an examination before the examining board of Philadelphia, and was employed as clerk in a drug store for two years. In 1875 he located at this place. He was married December 25, 1876, to Ella, daughter of Joseph and Jane Scott, of Philadelphia. They have had four children: Walter, Abel, Harry (deceased), and Ethel. Mr. Mathews is a member of the Baptist church, and a republican.

JOSEPH MITCHELL, Jr., butcher, P.O. Colmar, Montgomery county, is a native of Montgomery county. Joseph Mitchell, who is now 90 years of age, is the grandfather of our subject. Joseph, father of our subject, married Emeline Moore, to whom were born eight children, all now living. Joseph, Jr., was born and reared on his fatherís farm, and attended school until 16 years old. At the age of 21 years he left his fatherís house and came to his present place. In 1878 he was married to Laura, daughter of John and Catherine White, of Montgomery county, Pa. Bessie May, Howard, and Owen are the names of his children, all of whom are living. Mr. Mitchell is known throughout his township as an active business man, and following in the footsteps of his father. He makes a specialty of the pork trade, and during the winter months wholesales in the Philadelphia markets twice a week. He also carries on farming, which he profitably manages, to further the interests of the butchering business. He and Mrs. Mitchell are members of the Methodist church, and he is a democrat.

HENRY MOYER, farmer, P.O. Line Lexington, was born in New Britain township in 1852. His paternal grandparents were Jacob and Elizabeth (Moyer) Moyer, who came to this township from Springfield, Bucks county, in 1829. This couple were the parents of one son and three daughters. Abraham, the oldest child, married Catherine Fretz, and Henry is a son of this marriage. Mrs. Moyer died in 1854, and Abraham was married in 1857 to Eliza, daughter of John and Annie Lapp, of this township, by whom he had six children. Henry Moyer was born and reared on a farm, attending the public schools until 17 years of age, when he took charge of the farm, and on the death of his father purchased it. In 1882 he married Annie Eliza, daughter of Henry and Sarah (Moyer) Swortley, of this township. They have one child, Martha, born in 1887.

CHARLES M. PEARSON, farmer, P.O. Chalfont. The pioneer from whom the Pearson families in this country are descended, came from England with William Penn. It is said that he christened "Chester" county in this state. His son Jesse married Hannah, daughter of Gideon and Hannah Vore, of Chester county. Nine children were born to this couple, of whom John was the sixth child. He married Martha Miller, of Reading, Pa., and had thirteen children; of whom seven are now living. Charles M. was the youngest. He attended the High school till 17 years of age, and was also a student in a business college three years. After leaving school he was employed as a clerk, and for three years was engaged in manufacturing. In 1859 he married Lizzie, daughter of John and Elizabeth Rockafellow, of New Jersey. They have had four children: Martha, deceased; Clara N., deceased; Bessie H. and Charles E. For eighteen years Mr. Pearson has owned the property where he now resides, which is beautifully situated along the Neshaminy creek. During the summer months sojourners from the city find the house a resort second to none in the locality. Mr. and Mrs. Pearson are members of the Baptist church, and he is a republican.

JOHN RUTH, farmer, P.O. Line Lexington, was born in 1823. Henry Ruth, his father, married Mary Swartz, by whom he had twelve children, of whom John was the youngest. He left school at an early age, and during his whole life his occupation has been that of a farmer. In 1853 he married Catherine Swartley, by whom he had five children: Mando, William, Henry, Sarah (deceased), and Mary. The mother of these children died in 1865. In 1866 Mr. Ruth married Elizabeth Gohman, to whom a daughter, Annie, was born in 1868. This wife died in 1870, and in 1872 Mr. Ruth married Mary Ann Rickert, daughter of David and Elizabeth (Lapp) Rickert. His children by her are: Allen R., born 1872; David R., born 1874 (deceased); John, born 1876 (deceased); Elizabeth, born 1879; Susanna, 1880; Israel, 1882; Titus, 1884; Martha, 1885; Rosa, 1887. Mr. Ruth is a member of the Mennonite church, and a republican.

JOHN S. RUTH, farmer, P.O. Chalfont, is a native of this township, and was born in 1845. David, his great-grandfather, came from Switzerland. Joseph, a son of this early settler, married Sallie Price, of Montgomery county (now 90 years old, with fair intellect), and by her had three sons and two daughters, all living, with the exception of one daughter. Henry, the oldest son, married Magdalena, daughter of John Swartley, a descendant of Philip Swartley, who came from the town of Ebengen, Germany, in 1782, and married Sallie Rosenberger, of Montgomery county. This couple lived to a ripe old age, and owned the farm now occupied by Abraham G. Ruth. John S. and Joseph S. are the Sons born to Henry and Magdalena. Ambitious to engage in the practical concerns of life, our subject abandoned school at the age of 13, and for the next twenty-three years devoted his time to farming, produce commission business and travelling. In 1874 he married Sallie Swartley, now deceased. She bore him two sons, Harry and Frank, both living. Mr. Ruth was married, in 1882, to Annie E., daughter of Lewis Seifer, a well-to-do farmer of Richland township, this county. In 1874 he purchased the farm where he was born and reared, and where he remained till 1882. In 1879 he was elected a director of the Union National bank of Souderton, in which capacity he still serves. He was engaged in the mercantile business at Chalfont for two years, then moved to his present home. He has for some time made a special study of phrenology, and his clear conception of men indicates conclusively there is in the science a great percentage of truthfulness. Both he and his wife are members of the Mennonite church, and he is a republican.

JOSEPH S. RUTH, proprietor of Woodlawn creamery, P.O. Line Lexington, was born in this township, April 24, 1848. His ancestors came from Switzerland at an early period. His parents, Henry and Magdalena (Swartley) Ruth, had two sons, John S. and Joseph S., both of whom are living and also the parents. Joseph S. attended the public schools until 17 years of age, and for six months was a student in Ursinus college, Montgomery county, Pa. He remained on his fatherís farm until he was 22 years of age, when he married Sarah A., daughter of Jonas and Eliza (Cressman) Leidy, of this county. They have five children: Elmer, Leidy, Flora, Lizzie and Maggie. The last two are deceased. In 1877 Mr. Ruth purchased the homestead, where he has since resided. In addition to this farm he purchased, in 1886, the creamery known as the "Woodlawn," an establishment erected in 1881 under a stock corporation. At this creamery an average of two thousand four hundred pounds of butter per week and nineteen cheeses per day are manufactured, the propelling power being a twelve-horse power engine. Mr. Ruth is active and with thrift and energy is carrying on a successful line of business. He is also engaged with his brother, John S., in the commission business, dealing in all kinds of produce, which is disposed of in Philadelphia markets each week. He is a member of the German Reformed church, and is a republican.

GEORGE W. SCHEIP, farmer and fruit-grower, P.O. Fricks, was born in New Britain township, in 1855. Over a hundred years ago two brothers of the Scheip family came to America from Germany. John Scheip, a son of one of these, married Elizabeth Heller, of Montgomery county, and had two sons and three daughters. George was the oldest. He married Elizabeth, daughter of John Leidy, of this county. Six children were born to this couple, five of whom grew to maturity. The father died at the age of 89 years. John L. was the oldest son of this family. He married Marie, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Leidy) School, of Montgomery county. Two sons were the result of this marriage: Isaiah, deceased, and George W., who was born and reared on the farm which his grandfather owned. He received a common-school education, and since leaving school has always been engaged in farming, taking great pride in growing choice fruit of all kinds. In 1876 he married Lydia Albright, who has borne him six children: William F., Maria (deceased), Estella, Martha, Viola and Mary. Mr. Scheip is an enterprising young man, and being the only remaining child of a well-to-do father, his prospects in the future are bright. He is a member of the German Reformed church and a democrat.

DANIEL H. SELLERS, retired farmer, P.O. Chalfont, is a native of Montgomery county, and was born in 1810. The family originally came from Wales. Philip, his father, was the oldest son in a family of six children. He married Hannah, daughter of Enoch Roberts, of Richland township, and had eleven children, six of whom are deceased. Daniel H. was the second son, and third child. He was born and reared on a farm and attended the common schools till sixteen years of age. He remained on the farm until 1833, at which date he engaged in teaching school, which he followed for nineteen years, including five years at Philadelphia. In 1852 he purchased a farm, where he remained until 1883, when he retired from active farm life, and his son took charge of the place. In 1834 Mr. Sellers married Mary, daughter of Jacob and Mary Bush, of Montgomery county. Five sons were the result of this marriage: Dr. H.F., deceased, of Philadelphia, Charles P., Alphonso B., Daniel W., and Harry A. Charles P. is engaged in the brush manufacturing business in Philadelphia, and is assisted by Harry A. Mr. Sellers was for five years secretary and treasurer of the building association, also of the creamery at Woodlawn. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and a democrat.

PHILIP THIEROLF, farmer, P.O. Fountainville, was born in Hassen, Germany, and came to America in 1851. His parents were Adam and Sophia (Hiedt) Thierolf. Philip was the third of a family of five children. For two years after coming to this country he was engaged in farming. In 1853 he married Mary Barndt, daughter of George and Sarah (Sorver) Barndt of Bucks county. The result of this marriage is six children: John, William, Edwin, Sarah (Mrs. Crouthamel), Lizzie and Emma. The two last named are deceased. Mr. Thierolf came to his present farm in 1869, and with the aid of his two sons carries on the work successfully. His son William married Lettie Wagner, and has one son, Philip. Edwin married Alice Bissey. Mr. Thierolf has always been a successful man in business, and is respected by his neighbors. He is a member of the Lutheran church, and a democrat.

THE WHITEHEAD FAMILY.ó The first ancestor of the Whitehead family came from England, settled at Jamaica Plains, Long Island, and took part in the revolutionary war. Thomas Willet Whitehead, a son of this early settler, married Maria Elaway of Philadelphia, who was of German descent. They were members of the Third Baptist church of Philadelphia. To this couple were born eight children, four of whom are now living: Mary Whitehead, married to Mortimer R. George, of Philadelphia; John Gaskill Lawrence Whitehead, M.D., Bordentown, New Jersey; Annie Whitehead, married to David E. Gardiner, M.D., Philadelphia; Elizabeth Whitehead, married to Joseph S. Rotzell, M.D., New Britain, Bucks county, Pennsylvania. William Manlove Whitehead, the eldest son, was born in Philadelphia, December 12th, 1823. At the age of 16 he was baptized by Rev. George Higgins, one of more than ninety who were baptized in the river Delaware, the largest baptism on record. He went out with Mr. Higgins from the Third church, when he formed the Second Baptist church of Southwark. He was a man of liberal education, at one time a student at the University of Pennsylvania. He took a six yearsí course at Hamilton College and Madison University, New York, and was graduated at Union College in 1849. In 1850 he was ordained to the work of the gospel ministry in the Second Baptist church, Southwark (Rev. John A. McRuan pastor), now the Calvary Baptist church. His ministry extended over twenty-two years. He aimed not at being a pastor, but rather to build up weak and enfeebled churches. Beaula, Chester county, Frankford, Twenty-third ward, Philadelphia, Great Valley, Chester county, McKeesport and Elizabeth, Western Pennsylvania, New Britain, Bucks county, and Woodbury, New Jersey, were churches which he served. In 1851 he married Eleanor Jennings, daughter of George and Catharine (Mac Gowan) Beaston, of Baltimore, Maryland. Eight children were born to this union: William Manlove Whitehead, of Philadelphia, born at Frankford, Twenty-third ward; George Beaston Whitehead, of New Britain, born at Frankford; Mary, of New Britain, born at Great Valley Baptist parsonage; Elaway, of Philadelphia, born at Great Valley Baptist parsonage; Annie, of New Britain, born at McKeesport, western Pennsylvania; Henry Kauffman, of Philadelphia, born at New Britain Baptist parsonage; and Nellie, of New Britain, born on Iron Hill, New Britain. In 1861 he was pastor at Great Valley Baptist church. The young people of the Valley church raised their pole and floated their flag. In a few months the 97th regiment was raised at West Chester. Young men from the Valley church and surrounding country swelled its ranks, and he went forth with them to battle for the rights of men. When urged by his aged mother not to go, he said, "I cannot see this great struggle going on, and not take part." The 97th was sent to Hilton Head, South Carolina. While here he and another chaplain, and some colored brethren, formed a colored Baptist church. Many are the letters held sacred to-day from officer and private written to him concerning the better life. Contracting the southern malarial fever on the coast of Georgia, where the regiment lay for weeks in transports, waiting the attack upon Fort Pulaski, he became unable to perform his duties, and he resigned, and was honorably discharged August 20th, 1862. In 1872 he graduated at Hahnemann Medical College of Homoeopathy. While pastor at New Britain church, charmed with the beautiful county of Bucks, he purchased the old Iron Hill tavern property, improving it, and intending to spend his last days (he was an invalid) amidst its beautiful landscapes. He died at Woodbury, New Jersey, January 28th, 1874, and was buried at Great Valley church-yard, Chester county. After his death his family came back to the home selected by the father, and tearing away all traces of the tavern, built their modern country home, Hillside.

 

 
     
     
     
    Page last updated:Monday July 07, 2008
If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email: