SKETCHES. ó NOCKAMIXON.
L.M. ALTHOUSE, merchant, P.O. Kintnersville, was born in
1842. The original Althouse in this county settled in Bedminster
township. Daniel, grandfather of L.M., married a Wirt, to whom
three children were born. Samuel, the oldest, was born and
reared on the original fifty acres of land purchased by his
ancestors. He married Sarah, daughter of Henry Mittman, of Bucks
county, by whom he had nine children, of whom seven are living.
Our subject was the second son. He lived at home till he was 21
years old, going to school during the winter months. In 1868 he
located at this place, where he has since continued in business.
He was married in 1866 to Sarah, daughter of Jacob Kiser, of
Nockamixon township. They have two children: Charles Franklin
and Sarah Estella, both attending school at Kutztown. Mr.
Althouse is a very active man. His store is filled with all
kinds of seasonable goods and is well patronized. He is
postmaster under the Cleveland administration. He belongs to the
order of Red Men. He is a member of the Reformed church and in
politics a democrat.
FRANK BEAN, postmaster and merchant, P.O. Nockamixon, was
born in 1840. His father, Jacob, married Elizabeth Trouger,
daughter of Jacob Trouger, of this county. They had nine
children, Frank being the fifth son. Jacob was a tailor by
trade, an occupation he followed for some twenty years, after
that farming the remainder of his life. Frank remained at home
till he became a young man, and with a good common-school
education left home and learned the bricklaying trade, which he
followed till 1872, when he located at this place. In 1871 he
was married to Rosa, daughter of Joseph Kiefer, of Northampton
county. No children as yet have blessed this happy union. Mr.
Bean has his establishment well stocked with all kinds of goods
found in a country store. He is a great reader and has quite an
WILSON W. BEAN, merchant and manufacturer, P.O. Nockamixon,
was born in this township in 1853. His father, Henry, was born
in Richland township, this county, in 1813 and died in 1882. His
first wife was Sarah, daughter of John Hager. Nine children were
born to this union, of whom Wilson was the eighth. The mother
died in 1856. The father was again married in 1861 to Sarah
Fritz, who had four children. Henry Bean was a shoemaker and
followed that business up to the time of his death, doing a
wholesale trade, the goods being mostly sold in this county.
Wilson W. learned the trade of his father and keeps an average
of fifteen men employed in the manufacture of boots and shoes.
He married Ida, daughter of Josiah Rufe, of this township. She
has borne him two children: Bertha Estella and Chester Clarence.
Mr. Bean has recently built a handsome new residence near his
old home. He is a member of the Lutheran church and
superintendent of the Sabbath school. In politics he is a
CAPTAIN JOHN E. CORCORAN, P.O. Upper Blackís Eddy, was born
November 8, 1827. His father, Patrick Corcoran, came from county
Kings, Ireland, about 1826, and located in New York city. He
married Hannah Fell, who bore him five children, John being the
only son. At the age of 16 he learned the cabinet-making trade
and worked at it until he was 21. At the age of 22 he joined the
miners and engineers then located at West Point and remained
there three years. After that he was employed two years by the
government in Mexico on the Rio Grande. In 1854 he came to Bucks
county and assumed charge of the hotel, then the property of his
brother-in-law. At the outbreak of the civil war he raised a
company of volunteers, which joined the 140th regiment as
company G. The regiment was soon mustered into service at
Doylestown and proceeded to Washington. He was engaged in battle
at the Peninsula, at the siege of Yorktown and at Fair Oaks,
receiving at the last-named battle a severe wound from a minie
bail May 31, 1862. In consequence of this wound he was out of
active service two months. At the expiration of that time he
again joined his regiment and served until the expiration of his
time, September 30, 1864. He then returned to Bucks county and
in 1866 was elected by the democratic party to the office of
sheriff. He served one term in that capacity with credit.
G.W. GRIM, physician, P.O. Revere, was born in Montgomery
county in 1832. His great-grandfather, John Grim (a native of
Prussia), with his wife, by the name of Fisher, and a family of
twelve children, first settled on the present site of
Norristown, Montgomery county, about the year 1700. The children
grew up and scattered into Berks, Lehigh and Schuylkill
counties. The grandfather, George Grim, remained in Montgomery
county and was married to Elizabeth Favinger, whose parents also
emigrated from Prussia. He had one son and two daughters. The
daughters died single. The son, Adam, married Christiana,
daughter of Daniel Dismant, of English and Irish extraction,
whose family first settled in Upper Providence township,
Montgomery county, in the beginning of the eighteenth century.
Our subject is a son of this union. He remained at home with his
parents until 14 years of age, when his father was killed on the
Reading railroad. The following nine years were employed in
stove moulding, teaching and attending school at Washington
Hall, Trappe, Montgomery county. He received a good academic
education, after which he took up the study of medicine and was
graduated from Jefferson Medical college, of Philadelphia. In
1857 he married Elizabeth Koons, by whom he has had the
following children: Ida, deceased; F. Harvey, a graduate of
Jefferson Medical college; Warren, deceased; George Melvin, at
home, also a graduate of Jefferson Medical college; A. Florence,
now Mrs. Bigley; I. Webster, Frank S., Harry E., Cora B., Nora
E. and James S. In 1859 Dr. Grim came to Nockamixon township and
has since been engaged in practice here. He also superintends
the work on his farm. The family are members of the Reformed
church, and the doctor is a democrat.
HENRY and AUSTIN MCCARTY, the former a farmer and the latter
a retired merchant, P.O. Bucksville, are sons of Nicholas
McCarty. Edward and Thomas McCarty, with their parents, Nicholas
and Unity, came from the south of Ireland and located in Haycock
and Nockamixon townships. Four children were born to Edward, one
of whom died when quite young. Thomas, Nicholas and John grew to
manhood, and at their fatherís death inherited equal shares of
the two hundred and fifty acres purchased by their father.
Thomas remained on the homestead and had two sons: Nicholas B.
and Justus. Nicholas, at the age of 21, married Julia Kohl and
had two sons, Henry and Austin, and four daughters. Henry was
born in 1836 on the original tract purchased by Edward, a part
of which he now owns. In 1871 he was married to Mary Ellen,
daughter of Allen and Lydia McCarty, of Haycock township. Their
children are: Arthur, Nora, Selesta, Grace and Blanche. Mr.
McCarty purchased from his mother the farm consisting of
forty-eight acres and has always led the life of a farmer. He is
a member of the Catholic church and in politics a democrat.
Austin, the second son of Nicholas, was born in Nockamixon
township in 1838. He received a good education and remained at
home on the farm until he was 25 years old. In 1872 he married
Lucinda, daughter of Nicholas Buck. They have three children:
Frank, Henry and Stella. Mr. McCarty has been an active and
progressive man. He was a merchant at Bucksville for many years.
He has retired from the mercantile business, but still retains
the position of postmaster. In 1881 he was elected by the
democratic party to the office of recorder, which position he
faithfully and ably filled. The family, are members of the
THOMAS Y. McCARTY, merchant, P.O. Bucksville, was born in
1850. Thomas and Edward McCarty, two brothers, came from Cork,
Ireland, to America about the year 1737, and purchased two
hundred and twenty-three acres of land in Haycock and two
hundred and fifty in Nockamixon. Edward took possession of the
land in Nockamixon. He is known to have had two sons, Nicholas
and John. Thomas is presumed to have had no children and adopted
his brotherís son, John, as the latter came into possession of
the land in Haycock township at the death of Thomas. John had
three sons and one daughter. One of his sons, Nicholas, was the
father of three sons, Ross Thomas, John D. and Paul Abner, who
was the oldest, and who married Louisa McIntyre, who bore him
seven sons and two daughters. Paul died in 1869. His widow is
still living, at the age of 77. Thomas Y. was the youngest son.
In 1877 he married Isabella McCarty. Four children have been
born to this union: Leo, Angels, Roscoe and Alacoque, all of
whom are now living. Nine years ago Mr. McCarty located at his
present place, where he carries on quite an extensive business,
dealing in general merchandise. He has also a farm, the work of
which lie superintends. He is a member of the Catholic church
and a republican.
SEXTUS C. PURSELL, Philadelphia, was born in Nockamixon
township March 31, 1841. He received his education in the public
schools, the Milford, N.J. academy, and at the New York
Conference seminary, at Charlotteville, N.Y. October 1, 1863, he
entered the service of the Belvidere Delaware railroad company,
as clerk in the superintendentís office, at Lambertville, N.J.
He remained in that position until December 1, 1867, when he
resigned to accept the agency of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation
company, at Bethlehem, Pa. He remained there but a few months
when he was promoted to a position in the general office of the
company at Mauch Chunk. A change in the management of the
companyís railroad led to his resignation, and he returned to
his native place. May 1, 1870, he again entered the service of
the Belvidere road, in the office of the superintendent, and in
the fall of the same year was elected member of assembly for
Bucks county, and was re-elected in 1871. June 1, 1874, he was
appointed ticket agent for the Pennsylvania railroad company, at
Kensington station, Philadelphia, and he still holds that
position. He was married January 14, 1875, to Camilla I. Gwinner.
They have had three children, one of whom died in 1885 at the
age of nine years.
D. ROTHTROCK, pastor of the Reformed church, P.O.
Kintnersville, was born in Northampton county, Pa., in 1830. His
parents were Jonathan and Susanna (Derr) Rothtrock. His
grandparents were Samuel Rothtrock and his wife Anna Margareth,
whose maiden name was Price. His grandparents, and afterwards
his parents, resided on the same farm, about one mile from
Hellertown. Samuel had four sons and six daughters. Jonathan was
the eighth child, and next to the youngest son. He married
Susanna, daughter of Daniel Derr, of Northampton county. They
had seven children, five sons and two daughters, all of whom are
living. Jonathan died when in his 74th year, and his wife when
in her 69th year. David was the fourth child. He remained at
home, going to school whenever he could, till he was in his 17th
year. He then commenced teaching, and afterward for two summers
attended Tremont seminary at Norristown, of which Rev. Samuel
Aaron was principal. From that time on, he was engaged in
teaching during the winter months at first, and later nearly the
whole year, till he was 25 years of age. In 1852 he married Mary
Ann, youngest daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Lerch) Hess. They
have two children, George W. and Jacob J., the latter a minister
in Lansdale, Montgomery county. It was in 1856 that Mr.
Rothtrock began to study for the ministry, Dr. D.F. Brendle,
pastor of several congregations of the Reformed church near
Bethlehem, Pa., being his preceptor. He was ordained in 1858. He
has been in charge of his present congregation for twenty-eight
years, and since 1880 has been located at Kintnersville. His
church, of which he has so long been pastor, belongs to the
JACOB SUMSTONE, deceased, was born in Nockamixon township in
1821 and died in 1886. His father, Jacob, married Catherine
Afflerback and by her had eight children, of whom Jacob, Jr.,
the fourth, was born and reared on his fatherís farm. He was
married to Hester Clymer, to whom two children were born. She
died in 1859, and in 1868 he was married to Mary Ellen, daughter
of Peter and Mary (Springer) Laubenstine. They have had six
children, four of whom are now living: Annie Mary, Alice, Lizzie
and Eva; Katie May and Jacob Warren, the two youngest, are
deceased. Mr. Sumstone was in his day a prominent citizen,
having taken an active part in the politics of his county. His
widow and children remain on the farm, which consists of one
hundred acres, some of which are valuable timber land. Mr.
Sumstone owned other tracts of land in this and Springfield
townships. In politics he was a democrat.