JOHN ALBERT OZIAS

 

JOHN ALBERT OZIAS.  The OZIAS family, of which John Albert OZIAS is a representative, was established in America by Christopher OZIAS, a native of France, who came to America about the middle of the eighteenth century.  He landed at Baltimore, from which place he traveled southward to the French province of Louisiana, and after residing there for some time he made his way westward.  Subsequently he came north and settled at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Soon, however, he removed to Roxboro, where he followed his trade of weaving, devoting his energies to that pursuit throughout his entire life.  He was married and had two sons, Joseph and Jacob.  Joseph OZIAS, son of Christopher OZIAS was the father of three children.  John, Deborah and George.

            George OZIAS, father of John Albert OZIAS was born April 10, 1810 at Roxboro, in Philadelphia county.  He obtained his education in the subscription schools of the neighborhood and also in the free schools of that locality, and on putting aside his text-books he assisted his father in the trade of weaving.  Later, however he learned the carpenterís trade, and when he had mastered that business he engaged in contracting and building for many years being actively identified with the improvement of the locality in which he made his home.  He resided for some time at Germantown, in Philadelphia county, where he carried on building operations, but in 1837 removed to Nashville, Tennessee, where he again conducted business as contractor and builder.  He was for several years a resident of that southern city, and then returned with his family to Germantown in 1842.  He wedded Margaret BARR, and they became the parents of three children: John Albert, George B., who is living at Vineland, New Jersey: and one who is living at Quakertown.

            John Albert OZIAS was born in Germantown, Philadelphia county, September 6, 1836, and the following years was taken by his parents to Nashville, Tennessee, where he remained until about six years of age.  He then again became a resident of his native city, and attended the public schools there until his parents removed to what is now known as Chalfont, Pennsylvania, in 1859.  He remained at that place for ten years, and in the meantime had become an active factor in business life, engaging in the coal and lumber trade.  In 1869 he removed to Quakertown where he established a lumber business as a member of a firm, but not long afterward he purchased his partnerís interest and continued to conduct his lumber yard alone until 1886.  He also dealt in coal, but in the year mentioned he sold his coal and lumber business to Benjamin ACHEY, who is still conducing it.  Mr. OZIAS has since practically lived a retired life, enjoying the fruit of his former toil.  He was capable in the management of his business affairs, conducting his interests so ably that he won a very desirable reputation.

            As a citizen Mr. OZIAS has ever been deeply interested in the public welfare and while residing at Chalfont he served for some time as justice of the peace.  His efforts in behalf of the public good had been exerted along other lines as well, for he was instrumental in establishing the Building and Loan Association of Quakertown, and many home owners in that borough owe to his efforts the beginning which they made in securing homes of their own.  In educational work Mr. OZIAS has also been very active believing that a man should not be content in merely sending his children to school, but that he should put forth every effort toward having the schools of an excellent character and that competent teachers should be employed.  His labors have been effective and resultant factors in the betterment of the school equipment and facilities of Quakertown.  In his political affiliations, Mr. OZIAS has always been a Democrat, and although rather conservative in his political views and position, he has nevertheless adhered closely to the principles of that party.  His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have several times called him to public office.  He served for six years as county auditor of Bucks county, filling the position from 1892 until 1898, his course in office being so commendable that he was reelected. Mr. OZIAS was the prime mover in the work of having Richland Center incorporated into Quakertown.  His efforts have ever been of a most practical character, yet all has been done in a quiet and unobtrusive manner.  He cares not for outward display is entirely free from ostentation, and does not seek public encomiums, but is content with the consciousness of duty well performed, whereby he retains his self respect.

In 1862 Mr. OZIAS was married to Miss Amanda ECHART, a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (SNYDER) ECHART, of Chalfont, representatives of an old and respected family of that community.  The SNYDERS were among the oldest settlers of Newtown township, and were identified with the mill business of the county in pioneer days.  Mr. ECHART was also closely associated with the mill business of the county in pioneer days.  Mr. ECHART was also closely associated with the milling business at Chalfont, and was thus a factor in the industries of the town.  He was a son of George and Catherine (KING) ECHART. George ECHART was a man of considerable influence and activity in public affairs of his community.  His father was Charles ECHART, a resident of Oley, Berks county, Pennsylvania, and it was there that George ECHART was born February 12, 1770.  His death occurred March 16, 1828.  Charles ECHART, Sr., was a soldier of the revolutionary war.  Mrs. OZIAS, a daughter of Charles ECHART, Jr., was born February 19, 1840, in what is now known as Chalfont, in New Britain township, Bucks county.  She attended the public schools until her seventeenth year, after which she engaged in teaching for two winters, and subsequently to her nineteenth year remained at home with her parents until her marriage in 1862 to John Albert OZIAS.

            To Mr. and Mrs. OZIAS have been born six children: Estella, the wife of Oliver R. SCHUTZ, a son of Edwin SCHUTZ, of Quakertown, and they reside at Quakertown; Carrie J., the wife of Rev. William HEIST, a son of Henry HEIST, of Quakertown, and they reside at Scranton, Pennsylvania, with their son Paul:  Winnie is the wife of Ferdinand SOMMER, a son of Henry SOMMER, and they live at Quakertown:  Ramon married Emily EGNER, of Newark, New Jersey; J. Howard married E. Irene HARLEY, a daughter of Jonas L. HARLEY, of Quakertown, and they are living in that place: and George ECHART married Nellie HARING, a daughter of Charles C. HARING, of Quakertown.  The OZIAS family are members of St. Johnís Lutheran church of Quakertown.

 

 

 

 

 

Text taken from page 700-701 of: 

 

Davis, William W. H., A.M., History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III

Transcribed March 2008 by Joan Lollis as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html

Published March 2008on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/

 

 

 

 
     
     
     
    Page last updated:Saturday March 22, 2008
If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    
If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:    
 PA State Coordinator:
Joe Patterson
Bucks County Coordinator: and
Web Page Developer
Nancy C. Janyszeski

NancyJanyszeski@yahoo.com
     
 

All copyright laws are observed to the best of our ability. However if you feel something is on the site and infringes on copyright laws please contact me and let me know.

Use of information is for Personal Genealogical purposes only.  Commercial publication of any such information is prohibited. All text and images are copyright by said contributors.

Return to the Bucks County PaGenWeb Main Page or use your Back Button

If you have a homepage, know of a link or have information you wish to share. or would like to volunteer to transcribe information for the Bucks Co. PA please email:      Page was last edited: 01/11/2009

Copyright © by Nancy C. Janyszeski 2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009