History of Bucks
County, Pa Volume 3 by William H. Davis
WASHINGTONCADWALLADER, a prominent farmer, descended from an honored early family of Bucks county, was born August 7, 1871, on the old family homestead near Warrington, where he yet resides. The CADWALLADER family had its origin in Wales and was planted on American soil during colonial days. The first settlers here, who were the parents of John CADWALLADER, lived at various places in the east and eventually became farming people of Horsham township, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania. They were consistent members of the Hicksite branch of the Friends' meeting. Their son, John CADWALLADER, the father of Benjamin CADWALLADER, was born in Montgomery county and was reared in Horsham township under the strict influence of the Friends' Society to the faith of which he always closely adhered. He made farming his life work and after his marriage settled in Horsham township, where he remained until after the birth of all of his children. Subsequently he purchased a large tract of land in Buckingham township, Bucks county, made splendid improvements thereon and became a very prominent, successful and influential farmer of his locality. In his later life he divided his property among his sons and retired to Byberry, Philadelphia county, where he spent his remaining days. He was a man of unfaltering integrity and honor in business affairs and in private life, commanding the uniform confidence and good will of his fellow citizens in whatever locality he resided. At his death his remains were taken back to Horsham township, Montgomery county, for interment. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Hannah BRADFIELD, was a native of Horsham and died several years prior to her husbands demise. They were the parents of seven sons and two daughters: Eli, Yardly and Benjamin, all of whom became prosperous agriculturists: Peter, who engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery; John, a farmer; David, a tailor by trade; Cyrus, who learned the [sic] followed the wheelwright's trade; Uree, who married James BONNER; and Elizabeth, who became the wife of John RICH.
Eli CADWALLADER (4), born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, was reared in Buckingham township and after his marriage settled upon a part of the old homestead farm, where he spent his remaining days. When death claimed him his remains were interred in Buckingham township, where he had so long resided, conducting his business affairs in a manner that won him public confidence, as well as prosperity, while his relations with his fellow men gained for him general confidence and commendation. He was true to the teachings of the Friends' meeting, in which he had been reared, and in his political adherence was loyal to the principles in which he believed, supporting the Whig party and becoming the champion of the abolition cause. He married Rachel MORRIS, of an honored early family of Bucks county, a daughter of Benjamin MORRIS, who was of Welsh lineage and became one of the prominent agriculturists of this county. He contributed, too, in large measure to the intellectual and moral development of his locality, his influence ever being found on the side of right, justice and improvement. Eli and Rachel (MORRIS) CADWALLADER were the parents of five children: James, a farmer; Uree, the wife of Haslet GIBSON; Ann, wife of Moses HALDEMAN; and Eli CADWALLADER, Jr.
Eli CADWALLADER, Jr., (5), born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, was reared in his father's home and after the latter's death became the owner of the old homestead property, on which he remained for a number of years. He later sold the farm and purchased the tract of land upon which his son Washington resides and which is known as the John KENNGOTT farm. There he made permanent settlement and began the improvement of his land, which was but partly cultivated when it came into his possession. His labors wrought a great transformation there, making it on e of the best farm properties of the neighborhood. He carried on general agricultural pursuits, also raising products for the Philadelphia market, and his efforts were attended with good success. He was below the average height, yet possessed a strong constitution and was a very energetic and industrious man. Competent and farsighted in business affairs and broadminded in all his views of life, his own integrity caused him to be selected to administer many estates and to act as guardian on various occasions. He possessed a social, genial nature, which made him a companionable gentleman and gained for him a large number of friends. The poor and needy received from him generous assistance and he ever held friendship inviolable. His integrity and business honor stood as unquestioned facts in his career. He voted with the Republican party, and although he never aspired to office was deeply interested in Republican successes and attended various party conventions. As the years passed he prospered in his business undertakings and became the owner of various farms and mortgages, so that he left to his family a handsome estate. He had been reared in the faith of the Society of Friends and was always true and loyal to its teachings. He married Miss Sarah KNIPE, a native of Monroe county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of George L. and Mary KNIPE, both natives of Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Early in their married life they removed to Monroe county, where they spent their remaining days. Her father was originally a wheelwright, but purchasing land in Monroe county turned his attention to agricultural pursuits and continued the improvement of his farm up to the time of his death. He gave his political allegiance to the Democracy, and lived an honorable, upright life. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary HALDEMAN, and was a representative of one of the old and worthy families of Pennsylvania. The KNIPE family was connected with the Lutheran church, while the HALDEMANS were of the Mennonite faith, and all were consistent Christian people. To George and Mary KNIPE were born seven children: Jacob, who was killed in the second battle of Winchester, while serving in the Union army during the civil war; Emeline, the wife of George B. KERST; Mary, the wife of Abner BOORSE; Ann, the wife of James ZABRISKA; Sarah, wife of Eli CADWALLADER, Jr., Rachel, wife of N. SCOBLE; and Josephine, the wife of A. AHLER. Eli CADWALLADER, Jr., died December 21, 1891, at the age of sixty years, and was survived by his wife, who is now about sixty years of age. Their children were: Washington; Mary, the wife of H. S. ABBOTT; Ruberta, wife of R. MARTIN; Sarah; and Grant, who is a civil engineer.
Washington CADWALLADER 6), [sic] born and reared on the old homestead, pursued his education in the public schools and in the Horsham Friends' school. He assisted in the cultivation and improvement of the home farm until after his father's death, when he took charge of the property and later became its purchaser. He still continues general farming and he also keeps a herd of cows and sells milk. He markets the products of his farm in Philadelphia, and was a regular attendant at the city market for ten years. His entire attention is devoted to his agricultural pursuits. His farm comprises one hundred and nine acres of land, which is very productive. It is situated within a mile of the Warrington postoffice, and the house is a commodious, two-story structure, standing on an elevation that commands a splendid view of the surrounding country. There is also a large barn, modern in construction, and all the outbuildings necessary for the shelter of grain and stock. He uses the best improved machinery, has his fields under a high state of cultivation and follows the most modern ideas of farming in carrying forward his work. There are apple and peach orchards upon the place, together with small fruit and everything about the farm indicates his careful supervision and practical and progressive spirit. He is a broadminded and intelligent business man [sic] and competent farmer, and through unfaltering diligence has achieved a very gratifying measure of success. In addition to the control of other business affairs, he is a director of the Whitehall Fire Insurance company and a director of the Danboro Livestock Insurance Company. He belongs to Hatboro Lodge, No. 410, F. and A. M. They are numbered among the most highly respected citizens of their locality, and the influence which Mr. CADWALLADER exerts in community affairs has been far-reaching and beneficial.
In 1893 Washington CADWALLADER was joined in wedlock to Miss Agnes MEREDITH, who was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1873. She is a lady of many excellent traits of heart and mind and has been an able assistant to her husband. Her parents, Charles and Catherine (MCKINSTRY) MEREDITH, are natives of Bucks county and representatives of early families of this part of the state. The paternal grandfather, James MEREDITH, was a leading and successful farmer of Warminster township, and his business integrity and public-spirited citizenship made him highly respected. Charles MEREDITH was reared to farm pursuits and when married settled upon a farm and afterward conducted a hotel. Later he served as jailer at Doylestown, and is now a salesman of Philadelphia. Those with whom he has come in contact entertain for him high regard because of his allegiance to honorable, manly principles. His wife, Mrs. Catherine MEREDITH, died in 1875, in the faith of the Neshaminy Presbyterian church, to which Mr. MEREDITH also belonged. His second wife was Mary DUCKWORTH, a daughter of Samuel DUCKWORTH, a well known farmer of Bucks county. There was one child of the second marriage, Frank. By the first marriage there were two children: James H., who is now a conductor on a trolley line; and Agnes. Mrs. Agnes CADWALLADER was only two years old at the time of her mother's death, and was reared by Hiram CORNELL and his wife (the latter her mother's sister), who gave her good educational privileges and surrounded her with all the loving attention she would receive in the parental home. To Mr. and Mrs. CADWALLADER have been born four children: James Russell, October 17, 1895; Eli Franklin, February 12, 1898; Charles Paul, March 8, 1900; and Eleanor J., May 1, 1902. A Republican in politics Mr. CADWALLADER takes an active interest in public questions, frequently attending conventions of his party and has labored to secure the nomination of competent and capable men. He has filled varius [sic] township offices, and at the present time (1904) is school director in his district. He has been secretary of the board since 1896, and has been most loyal to every trust reposed in him, and has been the supporter of every measure which has concerned public progress and improvement.
Text taken from page 717 of:
David, William W. H., A. M. History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed October, 2000 by Donna J. Kling of Pennsylvania as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html
Published April 2000 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/