History of Bucks
County, Pa Volume 3 by William H. Davis
HENRY CLAY STUCKERT, of Warrington, Bucks county, is the eldest son of William H., and Rachel (Scarborough) Stuckert, and one of the prominent farmers of Warrington township. Henry Stuckert, the father of William H., and grandfather of H. Clay Stuckert, was born and reared in Germany, where he learned the trade of a baker. He came to Philadelphia when a young man and followed his trade there until 1811, first as a journeyman but for many years afterwards carrying on business for himself. On April 6, 1811, he purchased the farms now occupied by his two grandsons, 213 acres, in Warrington township, Bucks county, and turning over his baker business to his eldest son George removed to Bucks county. He was an intelligent, practical and successful business man, and was highly respected in the community. He married soon after coming to America, Elizabeth Bennett, of Philadelphia. He died in 1836, at the age of seventy years, and his wife died in 1843. They were the parents of six children: 1. George, who succeeded his father as baker in Philadelphia, but later removed to Northampton township, Bucks county, married Anne Hough, of Warrington, but returned to Philadelphia where he died. 2. Louisa, married George Jamison. 3. John, who remained in Philadelphia. 4. William H., the father of the subject of this sketch. 5. Anna Maria, who married A. Jackson Beaumont, of Solebury. 6. Jacob, who purchased a portion of the home farm in 1845, but some years later removed to Trenton, New Jersey, where he died.
William H. Stuckert, third son of Henry and Elizabeth (Bennett) Stuckert, was born at Warrington, October 2, 1816, and was reared on the farm. At his father's death in 1836 he took charge of the farm for his mother and conducted it for seven years. At the death of his mother he purchased that part of the homestead now occupied by his son, H. Clay Stuckert, and made substantial improvements. Several years later he purchased the homestead of his brother Jacob and lived there until his death with the exception of a few years spent on a farm in Doylestown township, in 1874, returning to the homestead at the death of his wife in 1880, and residing with his son Amos. He was an enterprising and successful farmer and business man, and held many positions of trust. He and his family were members of the Presbyterian church, of which he was a trustee. He died in November, 1896. He married in 1841 Rachel Scarborough, of Wrightstown, daughter of Amos and Elizabeth (Cooper) Scarborough, both natives of Bucks county and of English Quaker descent. Both the Cooper and Scarborough families were among the earliest settlers in Bucks county. William H. and Rachel (Scarborough) Stuckert were the parents of five children, viz.: 1. Henry Clay, born August 7, 1842, see forward; 2. Sarah, wife of Dr. A. H. Clayton, of Richboro, Bucks county; 3. Amos, born March 19, 1846, see forward; 4. William, a prominent lawyer of Doylestown; 5. John C., a prominent lawyer of Bristol, Bucks county.
Henry Clay Stuckert, eldest son of William H. and Rachel (Scarborough) Stuckert, was born on the farm where he still lives, August 7, 1842. He was reared on the farm and acquired his education at the common schools and at a normal school at Upland, Chester county, Pennsylvania. On reaching manhood he took charge of the home farm, which he eventually purchased of his father, and this he has greatly improved and beautified; he is an enterprising and successful farmer. He married in 1875, Emma J. Harman, born in 1849, daughter of Daniel Y. and Elizabeth K. (Bennett) Harman, and granddaughter of John and Elizabeth (Addis) Harman, both of Holland descent. John Harman was an early settler in Upper Makefield township. Daniel, the ninth of his ten children, married first Hannah, daughter of Benjamin and Hannah (Simpson) Hough, of Doylestown township, by whom he had six children. He married second Elizabeth K. Bennett, daughter of Miles and Hannah (Kroesen) Bennett, both of Holland descent, and representatives of early Knickerbocker families that settled first on Long Island and removed later to North and Southampton, Bucks county. Daniel Y. Harman was in early life a farmer, but later was a hotel keeper at Newtown; he was for several years a justice of the peace. He died in 1855. By his second wife, Elizabeth K. Bennett, he had three children: Emma J., the wife of the subject of this sketch; Lewis C., a merchant of Philadelphia; and Franklin P., who died at the age of seven years. The children of Henry Clay and Emma J. (Harman) Stuckert are: Frederick, an attorney at law at Bristol, Bucks county, Pennsylvania; William R., see forward; Louis H. a bookkeeper at Trenton, New Jersey; Henry, a student at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia; and Anna P., residing at home. Mr. Stuckert and family are members of the Presbyterian church.
AMOS STUCKERT, of Warrington, the second son of William H. and Rachel (Scarborough) Stuckert, was born on the Warrington farm march 19, 1846, and on his marriage in 1873 took up his residence where he still resides, on the original homestead, buying the farm of his fther. He is an enterprising and successful farmer, and has introduced all the latest improvements in farm machinery. He married in 1873 Esther N. Fesmire, daughter of H. C. and Sydonia (Chappelle) Fesmire, of Moreland township, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, where Mrs. Stuckert was born December 6, 1852. Her grandfather, Peter Fesmire, was a native of Germany, who settled in Montgomery county in early life, was a successful farmer. His son, Henry C., the third of seven children, settled in Moreland township, where he lived for a number of years and then removed to Delaware where he lived for three years on an experimental farm, and then returned to Glenside where he died in 1900. His widow still survives, residing at Glenside at the age of seventy-eight years. She is of French Heugenot descent, and a daughter of John Santell, a life-long resident of Montgomery county.
Mr. and Mrs. Stuckert have been the parents of eleven children, viz.: George J., died at the age of eighteen years; Esther B., wife of Professor William H. Black, who was captain of a company in the Spanish-American war, and is now principal of a school at High Bridge, New Jersey; Elizabeth, wife of Albert Reed, a machinist; John C., a farmer, married Eva Jamison; Grace, wife of H. J. Worthington; William H., residing at home; Sarah, married B. R. Yerkes; Sidney, residing at home; Clarence, who died young; Anna and Claud, who reside at home. Mr. Stuckert and his family are members of the Presbyterian church.
WILLIAM R. STUCKERT, second son of Henry Clay and Emma J. (Harman) Stuckert, was born on the old homestead in Warrington township, March 23, 1877. He was educated in the public schools of Warrington, the Doylestown High School and Ursinus College. After completing his course of study at college in 1899, he taught school for one year in Bucks county, and then entered upon the study of the law in the offices of his uncles, William and John C. Stuckert, and was admitted to practice in the Bucks county courts in December, 1902. In March, 1903, the law firm of William and J. C. Stuckert was dissolved, and William R. Stuckert was taken into partnership by his uncle, William Stuckert, under the firm name of William & William R. Stuckert, with offices at Doylestown and Newtown, and he at once took charge of the Newtown office and entered upon the practice of his profession. Mr. Stuckert is the present borough solicitor of the borough of Newtown, and has already built up a remunerative business, and established a reputation for careful and painstaking service in behalf of his clients.
Text taken from page 277-279
Davis, William W. H., A. M. History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed October 2001 as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html
Published November 2001 on the Bucks County, Pa, USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/