History of Bucks
County, Pa Volume 3 by William H. Davis
THE SIEGLER FAMILY
THE SIEGLER FAMILY. Mathew Siegler, for nearly thirty years a resident of Doylestown, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, was born in the province of Baden, Germany, January 6, 1812, and married there, in 1837, Antoinette Eckerly, who was born in Baden, June 16, 1812. Mathew learned the trade of a stone mason, which he followed in Baden until 1849, when he emigrated to Pennsylvania and located in Hilltown, Bucks county, at the present site of the borough of Silverdale. Having established a home in his adopted country, he sent for his wife and three children, who arrived in Bucks county in 1851. After following his trade in Hilltown for ten years in 1859 Mr. Siegler removed with his family to Doylestown, where he resided until his death, July 30, 1888, being killed at a railroad crossing west of the town, one year after the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of his married life, at which all his children and grandchildren were present. His widow Antoinette survived him over ten years, dying November 1, 1898. They were the parents of five children, all of whom are still living: Augustus, of Philadelphia; Pauline, who is married (first) Francis Roach, and is now the wife of Joseph Merkle, of Doylestown; Charles Louis, of Doylestown; Peter, of Doylestown; and Annie, wife of Bernard McGinty, the veteran job printer of Doylestown. Augustus, the eldest son, married Mary Taylor, and they are the parents of six children, all of whom reside in Philadelphia, except one. They are: Clara, wife of A. Fries Shive, of Doylestown; Nettie, wife of Harry Goldsmith; Julia, wife of John Friend; Mary, wife of Dr. Borger; Henry and Agnes, who are single. Bernard and Annie (Siegler) McGinty are the parents of five children: Antoinette, Katharine, Helen, Allen and Frank. The family are all members of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church.
CHARLES LOUIS SIEGLER, Sr., D. D. S., of Doylestown, second son of Mathew and Antoinette (Eckerly) Siegler, whose arrival in America from the fatherland is mentioned in the preceding sketch, was born in the province of Baden, Germany, July 17, 1845, and accompanied his mother to America at the age of five years. He was reared to the age of sixteen years in Hilltown, Bucks county, and attended the public schools there. Removing with his parents to Doylestown in 1860 he studied dentistry with the late Dr. Andrew J. Yerkes, and at the latter’s death in 1868 continued his practice until 1872. On April 1 of that year he started to practice dentistry on his own account at his present location on State street, where he has since practiced and has built up a large and lucrative business. Dr. Siegler represents a fine type of German-American citizenship, and is one of the highly respected citizens of the town. He is deeply interested in local affairs and institutions, but takes little part in partisan politics. He is a member of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church, of St. Joseph’s Beneficial Society, and an active member of the German Aid Society of Doylestown, of which he has been a trustee for many years. He is also a member of the Mannaerchor Society.
Dr. Siegler married, February 5, 1873, Catharine Kearns, of Hilltown, Bucks county, who was born in Norriton township, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, May 15, 1852, and is a daughter of John and Catharine (Kennedy) Kearns, both natives of Ireland, he of Drogheda, county Lough, and she of Carrick-on-Suir, county Tipperary. John Kearns came to America in 1839, and was married to Katharine Kennedy at Norristown in 1844. She had accompanied her parents, John and Katharine Kennedy, from Ireland some years previously. Dr. Siegler and Katharine Kearns were married at St. Agnes’ Roman Catholic Church at Sellersville by Reverend Father Hugh McLoughlin. Five children were born to this marriage, in Doylestown: Katharine and John, who died in infancy; and Estelle, C. Louis, and Frank, all of whom reside with their parents.
C. LOUIS SIEGLER, Jr., eldest surviving son of Charles Louis and Katharine (Kearns) Siegler, was born in Doylestown, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, October 2, 1878. His earliest education was acquired at St. Mary’s parochial school, Doylestown. He later attended Doylestown seminary, and graduated from the Roman Catholic high school in Philadelphia in 1896. In the same year he entered the dental department of the University of Pennsylvania, and graduated with honors in the class of 1899. He located on Main street in his native town, where he has since practiced his chosen profession with success. He is a member of the State Dental Association, and stands high in his profession. He is a member of St. Joseph’s Society and the German Aid Society of Doylestown.
PETER SIEGLER, youngest son of Mathew and Antoinette (Eckerly) Siegler, was born in Hilltown township, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, June 16, 1852, and came with his parents to Doylestown in his seventh year. He was reared in Doylestown and acquired his education at the Doylestown public schools. In 1871 he entered the employ of Louis Spellier, at that time an eminent jeweler and watchmaker in Doylestown, with whom he remained for three years. Having mastered the mysteries of the craft he went to Lambertville, New Jersey, and entered the employ of Rudolf Talcott. Mr. Talcott having sold his jewelry establishment at the end of three months, Mr. Siegler went to Trenton, New Jersey, where he was employed at his trade for a short time, and then returned to Doylestown and took charge of the jewelry and watchmaking department in the store of Henry Y. Moyer, on State street, where he remained for five years, the latter part of the time having an interest in the business. In the winter of 1883-4 he and his brother-in-law, Bernard McGinty, purchased the site of his present establishment and erected the present store and printing offices, Mr Siegler taking possession of his present jewelry store on June 6, 1884. By professional skill and close attention to business he has built up a nice business, and is one of the solid conservative business men of the county seat. He is a member of the German Aid Society, of St. Joseph’s Society, Sciota Tribe, I. O. R. M., and the Mannaerchor Society. He married, October 31, 1884, Rosa E. Schmutz, daughter of John and Katharine Schmutz, who was born in Doylestown township, both her parents being natives of Germany, her father of Baden, and her mother of Bavaria. Mr. and Mrs. Siegler are the parents of eight children, the eldest two, William and Katie, died in childhood, and those who survive are Marie, Catharine, Gertrude, Anna and Emma, twins, and Rose. The family are members of the Roman Catholic church.
Text taken from page 303-304
Davis, William W. H., A. M. History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed January 2002 as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html
Published January 2002 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/