History of Bucks
County, Pa Volume 3 by William H. Davis
CHARLES MURRAY, following farming in Warrington township, was born at Doylestown, April 6, 1862. His paternal grandfather, a tanner by trade, followed that pursuit throughout his entire life. He was of Irish lineage, but of Protestant faith, and he became one of the pioneer settlers of Bucks county where he was well known as a man of industrious habits and straightforward dealing.
Mahlon Murray (2), his only child, was born and reared in Bucks county, spending the greater part of his life in Buckingham and in Doylestown. He worked in his father’s tannery and also engaged in farm labor. After arriving at years of maturity he was married and carried on agricultural pursuits in Buckingham township until the civil war was inaugurated. His patriotic spirit was aroused and prompted his enlistment in the Union army, and he became a soldier in the south, where it is supposed he was killed in battle or died from wounds. No news was afterward received from him and he undoubtedly lies in an unmarked grave in southern soil. He had married Martha BEAL, also a native of Bucks county, and after the death of her husband she carefully reared her children, doing the best she could for them with her limited means. She afterward married Elias SLUSHER, a native of Germany, and a tailor by trade, which pursuit he followed through the years of his active business career. He died in Bucks county, leaving three children: Lizzie, Ann, and William, but the last named died in childhood. The mother of Charles Murray was married a third time, becoming the wife of Abram BARNDT, a tanner by trade; who also owned a farm at Quakertown and carried on agricultural pursuits in connection with the preparation of leather. There was one daughter by this marriage, Sarah BARNDT. Mrs. Martha BARNDT is yet living at the age of sixty-four years. She is a daughter of John BEAL, who was a farmer and laborer of Buckingham township. His children were: Martha, mother of Charles Murray; Eleazer and Charles, who served in the civil war and are yet living; Mary, and Josephine. By her first marriage Mrs. Martha BARNDT had two children, Charles Murray, and Maria, the wife of J. KERNECHEL, a moulder, living in Quakertown, Pennsylvania.
Charles MURRAY is an excellent type of the self-made man, for all that he has enjoyed and gained in life has come to him through his well-directed efforts and unfaltering perseverance. He began to earn his living when only eight years of age in the employ of James M. LACY, a prominent farmer, with whom he remained for six years, receiving in compensation for his services his board, clothing and limited educational privileges. He was afterward employed as a farm hand in Buckingham township, where he remained for a year, and subsequently entered the employ of H. ACRE in Warrington township. He has since resided in Warrington township, employed in various capacities with the exception of a period of two years. He continued to work as a farm hand until the time of his marriage in 1883. Subsequently, he and his wife entered the services of Abraham CLYMER, with whom they remained for three years, and then rented the LACY farm, which he conducted for three years. He afterward cultivated the George GARNER farm for a year, and for seven years rented and operated the Scott farm, on the expiration of which period he purchased the old GRIER homestead upon which he now resides. This comprises one hundred and twenty-three acres of well improved land and has been in his possession since 1898. The house is a commodious stone structure, and there are large barns and many substantial outbuildings. Thre (sic) is a spring of constantly flowing water, which is piped to the house and barns, and there are many modern conveniences on the place which is pleasantly located four miles from Doylestown on the pike and trolley line. Mr. Murray has made splendid improvements on his place, including the building of an addition to the barn and the erection of a large silo tank. The work of repair is continually being carried forward and the farm has been placed under a high state of cultivation, so that the property is now attractive in appearance and valuable. He carries on general agricultural pursuits and in connection with the tilling of the soil keeps a head of cows. Labor is the keynote of his success, and his untiring effort guided by strong and honorable purpose has been the foundation upon which he has builded (sic) his prosperity. Questions affecting the general welfare awaken the attention of Mr. MURRAY, who gives political support to the Republican party and has filled some township offices. He has served altogether as supervisor for seven years, his first incumbency covering two years, while later service has covered seven years. At length he retired from the office, refusing another nomination. Every public duty devolving upon him has been promptly and efficiently discharged, and he is known as a valued citizen of his community. He belongs to the Royal Arcanum, and he and his wife are devoted members of the Baptist church.
Mr. MURRAY has found a most faithful companion and assistant in his wife, who bore the maiden name of Miss Elizabeth KRAFT, and who was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1861. Her parents were Gotlip and Mary (DOLL) KRAFT, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, but both are now deceased. Gotlip KRAFT was an honest farmer, but died before he had acquired much property. His wife soon afterward passed away. She was a daughter of Christian DOLL, a farmer of Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent, and a soldier of the war of 1812. In early life he learned the
shoemaker’s trade, but subsequently carried on agricultural pursuits. The government granted him a pension in recognition of his patriotic service in the second war with England. His children were: Washington, a weaver and farmer; Charles, a cigar manufacturer; Jesse, a plasterer; Mrs. Elizabeth DIEHL and Mrs Mary KRAFT. After the death of her parents Mrs. Elizabeth MURRAY had to make her own way in the world, and she was employed if different households up to the time of her marriage. She became the able assistant of her husband, and their united efforts have resulted in the acquirement of a good home and a fine farm, and now they are enabled to enjoy many of the comforts and luxuries of life. They have two children, Mabel, born May 29, 1887; and C. LeRoy, November 17, 1894.
Test taken from page 357-358 of:
Davis, William W. H., A.M., History of Bucks County, Pennsylvania [New York-Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1905] Volume III
Transcribed August 2002 by Joan Lollis of IN. as part of the Bucks Co., Pa., Early Family Project, www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/bucksindex.html
Published September 2002 on the Bucks County, Pa., USGenWeb pages at www.rootsweb.com/~pabucks/