Blair County PAGenWeb


Blair County PAGenWeb





Blair County Newspaper Articles

News, obituaries, birth, marriage and death notices, by date.


Items from The Morning Tribune, Altoona, Pa.,

Wednesday, October 11, 1899


The Monument to Prince Gallitzin Was Dedicated Yesterday.
Mr. C. M. Schwab Makes the Presentation Speech - Mrs. Schwab Unveils the Monument - Archbishop Ireland's Address.




The first thing that struck the visitor to Loretto yesterday was the immense number of vehicles that were already on the ground at a comparatively early hour in the morning. The next was the thoughtfulness which had provided long troughs in a convenient field from which the horses could be conveniently and quickly fed. Whoever was responsible for that certainly deserves a large credit mark on the score of humanity. The third was the human nature of the hack drivers. But not every day is a harvest for them, and who shall blame them if they made hay while the sun shone? The next was the bonanza the solitary licensed liquor vender of the town enjoyed. His place of business was one of the most popular in the town. Yet up to the time of the writer's departure there was but little drunkenness and no disorder. Either the liquor was of a mild brand or the inhabitants of Cambria county are a decidedly hard-headed set of people.


One of the impressive spectacles was the universal prevalence of the flag and of the American colors in decoration. "Old Glory" waved from the breeze everywhere as was most fitting on an occasion when the patriotic archbishop of St. Paul was to be the chief orator of the day. If there was a house in Loretto that was not decorated in honor of the occasion the writer failed to observe it. From the stately mansion of Mr. Schwab who is the magnate of the village though still under forty to the humblest domicile, every one wore the national colors. In many instances this was blended with the papal yellow. There were several handsome arches and every possible point of decoration was utilized. Even the lamp posts were covered with spruce and the whole town and all its people wore an air of eager and joyful expectation.


Another thing that struck the visitor was the love and admiration which the people of Loretto entertain toward their fellow townsman, Mr. C. M. Schwab. And the best thing about it is that he is worthy of all the confidence they can bestow upon him. Nevertheless there is one claim some of the more enthusiastic are making which we are not disposed to grant, to wit: That he is a native of Loretto. It is our belief that he was born in Woodbury township, this county, near the historic town of Williamsburg, a section that has turned out as many bright and brainy men as any other equal portion of this planet. If we are in error, let the proper correction be made; if right, let Woodbury township have her dues.


The religious services of the morning were attended by as many persons as could find their way into the church. The afternoon parade was picturesque and very creditable to the societies which took place in it. The appearance in the ranks of a considerable delegation of residents of Pittsburg, who were formerly citizens of Loretto speaks well for the colonizing powers of the old town. The hearty cheers with which they and all the people of Loretto cheered the name of Mr. Schwab gave some good sign of their appreciation of that gentleman.


At the afternoon exercises, the crowds was so dense that it was almost impossible for one not well to the front to hear the proceedings. Father Kittell made some preliminary announcements and a statement which roused the enthusiasm of the audience to a high pitch. It is said that he communicated the substance of a letter from Mr. Schwab in which it was stated that the latter and his wife were contemplating the gift of such a sum as would make it possible to replace the somewhat shabby church edifice by a more modern one. Later on Mr. Schwab made a short presentation speech which was received with much enthusiasm but not a single sentence was audible to this writer. Then Mrs. Schwab unveiled the monument and Archbishop Ireland delivered a superb address receiving it for the parish. It is not our purpose to attempt a synopsis of this eloquent eulogy upon the work and character of Prince Gallitzin and the lofty office held by the priest of God. It fully sustained the reputation of the famous prelate and awoke many a responsive echo in the hearts of his hearers.


How many persons were in Loretto? Well, they began flocking to the town the night before and kept coming all yesterday until the hour appointed for the unveiling of the monument. They came from every direction and by every sort of vehicle. They crowded the sidewalks and filled the streets. "Loretto never saw anything like it," declared one venerable gentleman. "It's a fine sight," said another, "but there isn't such a great crowd here today as attended the 'white mass,' held about twenty-five years ago near Baltimore in honor of the centennial of Lord Baltimore's settlement." The old gentleman, not the writer, must be held responsible for the historical accuracy of the foregoing statement.


The Altoona contingent were compelled to leave the grounds before Archbishop Ireland had ceased speaking, and the rest of the programme was to them a sealed book. One of the vivid impressions some of the party brought home with them was that of the unique personality of Archbishop Martinelli, the papal representative, in this county. His burning eyes, his firm, thin lips, his distinctly Italian physiognomy, the inscrutable look that ever and anon flitted over his impassive face, suggested that he is a typical Italian ecclesiastic, one who thinks much and speaks little, wherein he is the exact opposite of his predecessor in the vice-pontifical chair.


Of the familiar faces from Altoona and other nearby sections that were seen during the day, time would fail to tell. It is estimated that not less than 6,000 persons were on the grounds at the moment the monument was unveiled. And of these this city and county sent a very creditable quoto. Having no wish to discriminate, we name none.


Letters Improperly Addressed.


Wm. White, Fifteenth street and Seventh avenue; Jas. O'Reiley, 244 Fifth avenue; John A. Bender, 1404 Tenth avenue; Anthony Kaufman, in care P. R. R.; Miss Anna Hill, 1904 Ninth avenue; Miss Dora B. Smith, Seventh avenue and Twelfth street; Miss Dorothy Love, 1613 Broad street.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Wednesday, October 11, 1899, page 2


The Doors of Dixmont Have Closed on Bessie Foster.
For Ten Years the Horrors of Those Awful Scenes Have Been Prominent Before Her and She is Now Pronounced Incurable.


From the Pittsburg Chronicle-Telegraph.
The doors of Dixmont have closed on Bessie Foster and Western Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane has at last claimed a once vigorous personality as its own. Ten years of patient, hopeful longing on Bessie's part; ten years of loving hopeful service by the sweet-faced nuns, her nurses; ten years of weary, anxious effort on the part of an only relative, a devoted, hard-working sister; all have failed to lift the awful shadow that at intervals sweeps across the sunshine of an earnest life. Bessie has been pronounced incurable and has gone to the home that will likely be hers through the remainder of her earthly days.


Bessie lost her reason in the Johnstown flood. Father, mother, brothers and sisters were swept away in the awful rush of waters and their little home was crushed like a shell in an angry sea. One sister happened to be absent from home at the time of the disaster and was thus saved. But Bessie was in the midst of it. How she escaped none can ever know. She was found starving, raving, dazed and half naked by the relief committees and cared for by them until some sort of order began to make itself felt in the frightful chaos. The distracted sister, who had been temporarily in Pittsburg, found Bessie after weeks of agonizing searching and took charge of her to the best of her ability. Both girls were workers in the woolen factories, young women not yet 20. There was nothing to depend on but the assistance of the relief committees until their own strength should be re-established. All possessions had been swept away. Empty handed, the one brave sister faced the world with her raving sister as a charge.


Bessie was brought to Pittsburg and placed in St. Francis's hospital and employment was found for the sister in the woolen mills of Philadelphia. Through the ten years that have passed these conditions have been maintained. Bessie has remained at the hospital and the sister has been diligent in the factory. The sister has remained loyal to Bessie with an intensity that has commanded admiration. It is due to her heroic effort that Bessie has been kept at St. Francis' hospital for such an extended period of time. The sister has visited her afflicted relative whenever her limited resources would allow and has sent from time to time offerings that her meager income could ill afford. Even now Bessie goes to Dixmont under the protest of the hard-working sister, who has begged almost frantically that St. Francis' hospital, where the afflicted one has been so well cared for, so happy and content, should be her home to the end. With tears in their eyes, the good nuns tell of this devotion and of how from year to year they have delayed taking the final step.


But at last the physicians have been imperative. The peculiarity of Bessie's malady is such that lives are not safe in her vicinity when she unexpectedly makes her wild dash from the imaged flood that is bearing down upon her. If seated at the table when the fancied danger appears, she jumps up wildly, pushes all before her and simulates the crash by sweeping all the crockery to the floor and clattering every utensil within reach with a deafening din. Recently while assisting in the kitchen, she crashed the dishes and knives together and broken china, the glistening steel of cutlery and bang of tinware induced a stampede of all in her vicinity, and one good sister was barely grazed by a blade that slashed through her sleeve. The paroxysm lasts but an instant and comes but at rare intervals. It had been the hope of the nuns that time would gradually reduce this violence, and to this end, they have done everything possible for the stricken girl .


Bessie has never been shut up. She has always had the run of the hospital, and has been a general favorite. She is bright, cheerful and a willing helper. She has aided in domestic affairs constantly. She has completely won the affection of the nuns and physicians. It has always been possible to control Bessie in her wild moments if it so happened that someone was in her immediate vicinity. Her first move in making a dash from impending danger is to grasp the arms of those nearest to her, and thus to hurry them forward. The minute Bessie gives this frantic grip of hers, she is immediately held captive and her fears soothed away. But the grip Bessie gives leaves its mark every time. It is supposed by the nuns that at the first intimation of danger at the time of the flood that the girl gripped her parents and pushed everything before her.


Bessie is rational enough ordinarily in her demeanor and converses intelligently. When the disaster is mentioned to her she usually shudders and relapses into silence. She has always been afraid of the "water coming up the hill." Her one desire expressed to the nuns has always been to the effect that if ever taken from St. Francis hospital, it must be to some place on "a hill like this." She has relied implicitly on their promise. She consented to go to Dixmont on such condition. She has been gentle and docile of late and seemed well satisfied concerning the impending change of residence. She had been told all about it. A half-frightened paroxysm seized her just as she left the home she has known for ten years, but she had been so unusually obedient that no extraordinary exhibition of violence was anticipated. Her removal to Dixmont is made with the consent of the authorities of Cambria county, who will bear the expense of her maintenance.


The journey to Dixmont was uneventful. Bessie went peacefully along with her two black-garbed friends and seemed interested in the scenes and incidents of the trip. The report from the asylum comes to the effect that Bessie stood for an instant in front of the entrance of the institution after the ascent of the hill had been made. She took a calm critical survey of the surroundings.


"Why," said she, "here are two hills - two big hills - the water cannot come and catch me now - two big hills," and with a gleeful laugh Bessie Foster passed through the doors of Dixmont.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Wednesday, October 11, 1899, page 3


A Short Session of Court - A Marriage at St. Michael's Church.


The annual meeting of the County Capital Building and Loan association will be held at John W. Cliber's office next Monday evening at 7 o'clock.


The cruiser New Orleans of which Lieutenant William R. Rooney of Hollidaysburg is one of the executive officers, has been ordered to the Philippines.


Manager Thomas Lawly accompanied by his wife and mother, took the overland route to Loretto yesterday to witness the unveiling of the statue of Prince Gallitzin.


A Welsbach street lamp, donated for the public good by the Hollidaysburg Gas company, affords considerable illumination at the corner of Allegheny and Wayne streets.


The following letters remain in the postoffice at Hollidaysburg, Pa., uncalled for October 9, 1899: J. M. Coffroath, Bertha Fenk, J. H. Koons, Herbert J. Williams. One cent must be paid when calling for any of the above letters. - S. Gibson Barr, Postmaster.
Collector W. F. Wolf can easily attest to the fact that prosperity has not neglected the county capital. During the first sixty days of the tax duplicate for 1899 he collected $14,250.


Mr. John Burger and Miss Mary Ellen Becher, both of Hollidaysburg, were joined in wedlock by the Rev. Father Vogt in St. Michael's Catholic church, yesterday morning. The attendants were Miss Agnes Burger, sister of the groom, and Mr. Albert Becher, the brother of the bride. At the close of the ceremony the bridal party repaired to the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Beyers on Mulberry street where they were entertained. Mr. and Mrs. Burger will reside on Twenty-seventh street, Altoona.


At a brief session of the county court held yesterday morning, Gregory Di Jorio of Tyrone was granted a hearing in habeas corpus proceedings. Defendant served a six months' jail imprisonment for stealing $144 and twenty-one boxes of cigars from his employer, Joseph Pavone. When his sentence expired in August he was rearrested on a civil bill of capias and again confined to jail. On October 2, Judge Bell ordered his release from which order Pavone appealed to the state superior court. Joe Morello, king of the Italian colony, yesterday went bail for Di Jorio in the sum of $100, conditioned that the defendant surrender himself within five days, if the superior court reverse the order of Judge Bell. Di Jorio was then released from jail.


Edith Siard, aged 16 years, an Altoona wayward girl, who had been committed to jail for incorrigibility and frequenting the society of lewd men, was released. Her mother promised that she would be given into the custody of an aunt at McVeytown, where she will have the opportunity to lead a better life. Court adjourned to reconvene next Monday morning.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Wednesday, October 11, 1899, page 4


George Bender Threatens a Constable and Escapes - Cases Heard.


Mrs. Annie Green has made information before Alderman Raymond against George Bender of 2004 Eleventh avenue, charging him with striking her in the face with a club. When the constable went to arrest Bender yesterday he picked up an iron bar and threatened to brain the officer if he laid hands on him. He escaped but will be arrested today. Mrs. Green has also made information against Mrs. Bender, charging her with keeping a bawdy house.


The case of Mrs. Teckler Marx against Mrs. Joseph Tueful [Teufel?] for penning up her cows, which was to have been heard by Alderman Irvin last evening has been postponed until Friday evening.


The case of James Bradley against Mrs. Charles Springer on the charge of assault and battery and disorderly conduct was heard by Alderman Raymond last evening. The alderman dismissed the case by reprimanding both prosecutor and defendant.


Alice Reeder has made information before Alderman O'Toole against Max Leader, charging him with aiding and abetting an assault.


Achilles Millard a few days ago entered a suit before Alderman O'Toole against Henry Baum, charging him with assault and battery. Baum, on being arrested, made information before the same alderman charging A. Millard and Arthur Shearer with willfully and maliciously taking a cow from off his premises and trespass. Both cases will be heard Thursday morning.


Little Boy Painfully Injured.


Edwin Seidel, the 4-year-old son of Grocerman F. J. Seidel, of 906 Fifth avenue was painfully injured about 3:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon while playing on a rear porch at this father's home with several companions. The child perched over the side of the porch and struck his head against an oil barrel. He was rendered partially unconscious and sustained an ugly gash to his scalp. He was picked up and carried into the house where Dr. W. M. Findley dressed the injury.


Democrats Are Working.


The democrats are working hard to make the mass meeting to be held in the East Side theatre, Monday evening, October 16, a success. County Chairman John O'Toole yesterday received a telegram from State Chairman, John S. Rilling, stating that Hon. W. F. Creasey, the democratic candidate for state treasurer; James A. Stranahan and A. B. Osborne would be here on that night to deliver addresses. The gentlemen will be escorted from the depot to the theatre by a band.


Reported to the Board of Health.
Following cases were reported to the local board of health yesterday:


Scarlet Fever - Annie Kabello, 603 Second avenue.
Typhoid Fever - Mrs. Marie Miller, 2203 Twelfth avenue.


Marriage Record.
The following marriage licenses were granted by J. L. Hartman, esq., clerk of the orphans' court at Hollidaysburg since our last report:


To John Burger and Mary Ellen Becher, both of Hollidaysburg.
To D. C. Fluke, of Woodbury township, Bedford county and B. F. Brown, of Loysburg.
To William I. Richardson of Entriken, Huntingdon county, and Rachel Lewis Frye of near Williamsburg.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Wednesday, October 11, 1899, page 5


A Special Meeting of Council - Other Items of Interest.


Sheriff Bals, S. Rumberger of Huntingdon county was in town yesterday.


County Superintendent H. S. Wertz of Duncansville is visiting the schools in Snyder township this week.


William H. Orr, of Altoona, handsome, hearty and hopeful, intertwined digits with friends in the big, quiet borough yesterday afternoon.


A yellow pine floor, just placed, is a much needed improvement to the first story of the Central hotel, kept by mine host, Charles M. Waple.


Rev. A. H. Barr, who has been visiting relatives in this section and in the eastern cities, left for his home at Detroit, Mich., yesterday afternoon.


William M. Johnson, a veteran soldier of the civil war, who has been visiting his daughter, Mrs. William Fetters, at Nealmont for the past month, left for his home at Altoona yesterday at noon.


The first entertainment in the Pennsylvania Railroad Young Men's Christian association's popular course will be the John Thomas Concert company at the Academy of Music, Friday evening, October 20.


Samuel D. Caldwell, of the Indian bureau in the department of the interior, at Washington D. C., is the guest of Robert C. Gifford, 1420 Burley avenue, and is visiting other friends in the Central City.


Mrs. John F. Wilson, 836 West Washington avenue, departed yesterday morning on Atlantic express on her annual visit to her brother and sister, residing respectively in Philadelphia and New York, and expects to be absent some weeks.


The Commercial School Mandolin club is making an effort to have Farland, the renowned banjoist, give an entertainment in Pruner's Arcade in the near future and with that purpose in view the boys will canvass the town to secure sufficient number of subscribers to warrant them in the undertaking. Mr. Farland gave a very delightful and successful entertainment in the Academy a season ago.


A special meeting of Tyrone borough council was held Monday evening. The legal committee was directed to obtain from A. O. Furst, esq., an itemized statement of his fees or charges against the borough and report at a future meeting. That the opinion submitted by Mr. Furst and Solicitor Hicks to Mr. Ewing be given to the chairman of the legal committee and by him to the secretary of council for the inspection of all members of council who may wish to see it, and the secretary shall keep the same in the borough vault and permit no one to copy the said paper.


Death of Mrs. Mary Snively - Signs of Prosperous Times.


Empty houses in Williamsburg are as scarce as hen's teeth.


With making cider, husking corn and butchering, our farmers are a busy set of men.


Apple shipments are in order now and going forward by the car load to Indianapolis, Indiana and mighty good they are.


Mr. John Gaily is adding as an improvement, a nice portico to the front of his house.


Miss Ann Harris is off on a visit to her sister, Mrs. McHenry of Grafton, Huntingdon county, Pa.


Mr. Levi Sparr has just returned from a trip to Centre county where he was looking after lumber land.


Mrs. Lucy Kidd Gibson, after a pleasant visit to the old home, has gone to her home in Pavonia, New Jersey.


It is with much regret that we make a note of the illness of Mr. Alfred Sissler. The trouble is with his heart. He is not making any improvements.


The Misses Anna and Grace Zeilinger passed through here on Friday on their way to Pittsburg where they intend to take in the exposition. They also will visit in Homestead, Wilmerding and Braddock.


Mr. Mart Shollar, contractor, having about finished his work at Frankstown, has taken another one at the Reservoir, that requires the handling of 13,000 feet, and Mart can handle it and that too right smartly.


The Pittsburg Supply company are still adding improvements to their large store. They are putting in a large heating furnace and acetylene gas plant. They do not keep up with the band wagon - they are generally in front of it.


Mrs. Campbell and two daughters, from LaSell, Illinois are the guests of Mr. I. N. Blackburn's family. They are the kind of folks that always meet a hearty welcome. They expect to spend the greater part of the coming winter at the Logan house, Altoona.


A short time ago we were the recipient of an invitation from Mr. Charley Patterson and wife to accompany them to Beavertown. We accepted, and enjoyed the trip greatly, as also the genuine hospitality of Mr. George Weisgarber's most estimable and entertaining family.


There is a good deal of interest taken just now in lighting-up matters in Williamsburg with electric light. The parties advocating it are men of business. We hope for the best in this needed improvement. To light the streets these coming long winter evenings will be a blessing, not in disguise.


We are indebted to Mrs. Daniel Stacy for a basket of apples of an avoirdupois not to be sneezed at. One sent the beam to twenty-four ounces and had a circumference of twenty inches. Another weighed twenty ounces. It only took six of them to fill a basket of good size. The others weighed from sixteen to twenty ounces. They are seedless too. These are giants in the apple line. To Mrs. Stacy we raise our hat and say thanks.


We made note a letter or two ago that the Pittsburg Limestone quarry had paid out, last pay day, over $8,000 in wages. We stand as corrected by the general manager who says it reached over $20,000 in wages and in all they paid out in Blair county alone the large sum of $275,000. They have done the handsome thing again. They have increased the wages to tonnage men one cent per ton and laboring men 10 per cent. This brings wages up to the old standard. Furthermore, they are opening up another large limestone quarry at Tyrone and putting in another ganister shute near Point View, almost opposite their ganister works. Dr. Snyder, of Hollidaysburg, has put up a long shute that runs away up to the top of the mountain, crossing the old thoroughfares, canal and pike. He has the trestle almost over the river and the siding in and about ready for use. If ever good times struck Williamsburg and vicinity, it is now. Lots of work, no idle men, nor any excuse for men being idle. The dynamite works, too, are running full; the American Steel Wire company, under the management of Mr. T. R. Schmucker, is pushing matters and making stones fly twenty-five more cars per day. Whoop it up for Williamsburg.


At 5:20 o'clock p.m., September 21, Mrs. Mary A. Snively died at her home. A few days previous to her death she had an attack of cholera morbus which caused weakness about the heart. This caused her death. Mrs. Snively was a daughter of George W. and Nancy Sorrick and was born near Hileman's mill on Clover Creek, April 29, 1847. She was married to Daniel Snively, who survives her, January 5, 1871. She was the mother of four children, all living, Orville C. and Austin C., of Altoona; Herman I. and Lullu at home. There are also two sisters and two brothers to mourn their loss, Mrs. Sarah J. Richardson of Altoona; Alice F. Rhule, I. C. Sorrick and A. C. Sorrick of Clover Creek. Early in life she joined the Clover Creek Lutheran church of which body she has been a consistent member during her life. She was the first of her family to die and also the first of her brothers and sisters. By her death two kindred ties have been broken. She was interred in Snively cemetery.


Death of Isaac Fouse - The Apple Crop, News Notes.


Mr. Wilson has moved into the house vacated by Mr. Harry Spyker.


Mr. E. Isenberg is placing a new brick pavement in front of his residence.


A large wagon shed is being built to the new Woolverton barn, below town.


Mr. Frank Grove has accepted a position as clerk in a drug store in Philadelphia.


Mr. Ben Miller has accepted a position in Pittsburg where he has become a salesman for a tea company.


Apples are an exceptionally large crop this year. Forty-five cents is the price asked for picked apples at present.


Mr. William Thompson, who has been spending the summer here in his spacious summer residence, returned to his home in Philadelphia on Tuesday.


Mr. Isaac Fouse, who resided on the farm just across the river died on Friday night about 12 o'clock. For the past three weeks Mr. Fouse has been suffering from something like appendicitis. On Friday morning two physicians, accompanied by a trained nurse, arrived from Philadelphia and performed an operation which took over two hours. The stomach and part of the intestines were removed, but all efforts to prolong his life were in vain. Mr. Fouse regained consciousness soon after the operation but the shock proved too much for him. He is survived by the following brothers and sisters: Ella and Andrew, at home; Joseph, of Lancaster county; Dewalt, of Huntingdon; Henry and Frank, of this place; Mrs. S. G. Rudy and Mrs. H. Hosterman of Huntingdon and Mrs. _____ Shoup of Clearfield county. The deceased was a member of the Reformed church in which the funeral took place on Monday at 10:30 a.m.


Some Brief Notes About people You May Know.


Miss Katie E. Wertz was shopping in the Mountain City one day last week.


Miss Olive Fox and mother are visiting friends and relatives in Williamsburg.


Mr. William Baird, whose serious illness has been noted in these columns, is not improving.


Mr. Oscar Cruse, who is employed at carpenter work at Sharpsburg, spent Sunday with his parents of this place.


Mr. Grif Shaffer having spent the past week with relatives in Sunbury, Northumberland county, reports a very pleasant visit.


Mrs. C. B. Kantner and daughter, Edna of Sharpeville, Mercer county, are the guests of Mrs. Kanter's mother, Mrs. Jane Kauffman of the Loop.


Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Meritts were guests of Canoe valley friends on Sunday. They were accompanied by their son, Charlie and Miss Madelene Confer.


Mr. Angus Steward of Turkey valley moved his family and household goods to his new residence in East Hollidaysburg yesterday. Mr. John Goshorn will occupy the house vacated by Mr. Steward.


Death of An Infant - A School Report. Other News Notes.


The Yingling farm, about a mile north of our village, is advertised for sale.


Charles Stiffler spent Sunday with his mother, Mrs. Eliza Stiffler in Hollidaysburg.


Charles Lytle, of Williamsburg, will in a few days take charge of our old village blacksmith shop.


George F. Mattern is visiting his parents, Rev. and Mrs. W. H. Mattern at Stormstown, Centre county.


A small child of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Reed died at the parental home in Scotch Valley, Sunday morning. Interment was made in the United Brethren cemetery Monday forenoon.


Drs. Arnold and Earnest of Williamsburg are giving the sick in our community the best possible attention at this writing. Mrs. Lou Neal, Annie Walls and Frank Hile are improving very nicely, but Mrs. Rachael Leamer and Edward Walls are still very sick.


Report of Canoe Creek school for month ending October 6, 1899: Total number enrolled, 31; average attendance, 29; percentage of attendance, 95. Those missing no days are: Lily Walls, Bulah Walls, Edna Berger, Nellie Berger, Viola Walls, Lily Robinson, Dorthy Walls, Ralph Slippey, Ira Stiffler, Harry Walls. Parents, directors and friends of education are invited to visit the school. Linda Burger, Teacher.


Another Ungovernable Mule - Some other Items of Personal Interest.


Boiling apple butter seems to be the order of the day.


The local schools opened on Monday with a good attendance.


The boys who attended the Bedford county fair report having a good time.


Mr. Frank Hart of Altoona spent Sunday at the home of John H. Closson.


The stone masons began the wall this morning for the addition to W. F. Ritz's house.


Edward McCoy and Jerry Cochran are serving as jurors this term of court for Allegheny township.


It seems that this would be a good place for a horse exchange stable, quite a few horses having changed hands this week.


Mr. Christ Wineland of Duncansville who was appointed by the directors for Carson Valley school No. 4, has resigned and Mr. Hayes Buck of Logan township has been appointed to fill the vacancy.


On last Saturday morning Henry Wyerman started to market with his butter on one of his mules. He got there and attended to his business but unfortunately for Henry, on his way home, his mule became unmanageable, landing him in the mud. Fortunately he was not hurt badly. The mule returned safely home.


Some Personal Items Gleaned By Our Correspondents This Week.


Mrs. Wagner, of Harrisburg, is at present visiting her sister, Mrs. Long.


The farmers are busy husking corn and raising potatoes. They report a very good crop.


Mrs. Hettie Guyer, who has been very sick the last week, at present is improving.


Mr. Henry Furry, wife and child, of Nebraska, are visiting the former's brother, D. N. Furry, of this place.


Mrs. Maria Noble, who has been visiting her daughter, Mrs. D. R. Potter, of Osterburg, returned home Tuesday.


Misses Mary and Lizzie Kensinger, of Henrietta, visited their aunt, Mrs. Katherine Kensinger of this place on Sunday.


Mrs. Elizabeth Diehl, of Newry, and Miss Katie Shaw, of Poplar Run.


To its correspondent at Poplar Run the TRIBUNE is indebted for the following notice:




At 10 o'clock Thursday morning Miss Katie A. Shaw died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Amos Shaw of Poplar Run. She was 15 years of age and was held in high esteem by those who knew her. She was a member of the Lutheran church. Besides her parents, she is survived by several brothers and sisters. The funeral took place on Saturday morning at Newry. The services were conducted by Rev. Krider of Duncansville. Interment in the Lutheran cemetery.




Our Newry correspondent sends the following:


Died, at her home, on Sunday morning, the 8th inst., Mrs. Elizabeth Diehl, aged 80 years, 2 months and 28 days. Mother Diehl was a kind Christian woman having united with the Reformed church at the age of 17 years. She was the mother of Fanny Diehl, Lavinia Diehl, Sarah Berkhimer and Ambrose Carl; and stepmother of Isaac, James, Daniel, George and Samuel Diehl and Mrs. Sarah Stambaugh. Interment in Butlersville cemetery.


An Old-Fashioned Party.


Miss Alpha Kuhn, of Beryl, gave an old-fashioned apple bee to her friends of Altoona and Beryl, Thursday evening, October 5. The following persons were present: Misses Maude Wilt, Beatrice Glyn, Louella Stiffler, Mollie Kinsel, Nellie Wilt, Velva Kuhn, Regina Shaw; Messrs. Elmer Richardson, Harold Thompson, Roy Garland, Raymond Shuff, John Snively, Allen Snyder, Arden Shaw, Milton Kuhn, Mr. and Mrs. David Kuhn, Mrs. Kinsel. At a reasonable hour the guests were invited to the dining room where all did ample justice to the good things on a table well spread with all the delicacies of the season. All present spent a very enjoyable evening and declared that they had had a good time.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Wednesday, October 11, 1899, page 6


Items Which Will Interest Both Employer and Employe.


The inspection party will arrive in Altoona some time during Thursday afternoon. It will find everything in good shape.


An addition has been made to the force of ash pit men at the middle division roundhouse. This addition will render possible the taking of the ashes from three locomotives at one time and will be especially a saving in winter time. As is well known the ashes in an engine become full of water and in cold weather freeze. Being loosened by the application of hot water or steam the engine in the past often stood long enough to allow the ashes to freeze again before they could be removed. Under the new system this nuisance will be done away with.


Many of the railroads are now advertising excursions into the mountain districts. These excursions are usually well patronized and deservedly so. The trees have put on their autumnal garbs and at no time have the leaves been more beautifully colored than the present season. The lover of Nature will be well repaid of taking any of the many excursions advertised.


The following is an official report of the freight traffic through Mifflin during the month of September: Westbound cars loaded, 19,969; empty, 54,930; total, 74,899; trains, 1,217; Eastbound cars, loaded, 73,882; empty, 443; total, 74, 325; trains, 1,117. Total cars in all: 149,224.


After considering the scheme for some time it is announced that railroad employees are to start a grocery store at Chillicothe, O., the divisional headquarters of the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern and if this is a success, clothing, boots and shoes, hardware, furniture, etc., will be added and other stores opened at all divisional points. It is proposed to have the stores conducted on the co-operative plan, the stock to be subscribed for by the employees of all branches. The object is not only to reduce prices, but to protect the men against garnishee proceedings, which are often instituted to collect small accounts and which many times cost otherwise faithful employees their positions, as, on many roads, a garnishment suit is case for dismissal.


Of the September orders, for 10,369 cars, 4,380 were box, stock, furniture and refrigerator cars; 2,474 coal and gondola cars; 2,100 steel cars; 700 flat cars; 50 [unclear] cars and 114 for passenger and street railroad service. Of these about 1,200 are to be built by railroads in their own shops. Orders for 237 locomotives were also noted of which 24 were for export and the approximate division of types was 48 passenger locomotives, 257 freight locomotives and 32 switching locomotives. The number of locomotives ordered was exactly the same as for August. The car orders fell off by about 200 from the August record.


Track laying has begun on the three mile extension of the Bellefonte Central railroad from Waddles, Pa., to the Scotia mines. These mines were recently [unclear word] based from the Carnegie Steel company by the Bellefonte Furnace company and are not being operated to their utmost capacity. Most of the output of steel is being used in the two furnaces at Bellefonte and to get it there shipment was made around Tyrone, a distance of [unclear] miles or more. With the completion of the Bellefonte Central extension shipment can be made in less than twenty miles. The Scot a extension will also be used for passenger traffic in the course of a few months.


Items of Interest Clipped or Condensed from Our Exchanges.


St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal church building in Lewistown is about completed.


Patrick Foley of Leidy township, Clinton county, had his right leg fractured below the knee by a horse kicking him on Friday last.


Ambrose Riffle, a resident of Derry, was found dead along the tracks of the Pennsylvania railroad at Latrobe Saturday night. It is thought he was struck by limited.


The engine house at the big plant of the H. C. Frick company located at Mammoth, Westmoreland county, was burned Sunday morning. The loss is $30,000, partly covered by insurance.


William Heinaman of Lock Haven was found dead in a house occupied by an Italian on Sunday. The coroner of Clinton county is investigating as to the cause. Heinaman was 30 years old and leaves a wife and three children.


The usual quarrel between physicians is now on at New Florence. Two doctors say there is no small pox in that town and one says there is. In the meantime there are about a dozen cases of skin disease in that town that will bare watching.


Frank Gardner, of Oneida township, Huntingdon county, is nursing a fractured rib. How he got it is the telling over again of the old story. He was fixing a stove and in endeavoring to tighten a bolt the screw driver slipped and he fell against the stove.


Henry Shipton of Jackson township, Huntingdon county, while on his way home from McAlevy's Fort on his bicycle a few nights ago was severely injured, crossed by a horse running over his wheel, throwing him off and breaking his shoulder and crushing his breast. The wheel was entirely demolished.


Mrs. Henry Bubb of Vira, Mifflin county, was driving home in her buggy a few days ago when a bicycler named Edward Willet collided with her horse. The animal kicked and broke the shafts and Mrs. Bubb was pulled out over the dashboard. Her right leg was broken. The bicycler was riding without having his hands on the handle bars.


Saxton is to be lighted with electricity within the next sixty days. The Herald says the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad company has closed a contract for a 60-arc and incandescent plant to furnish light for its shops, offices and yards in that place and to furnish lights for the streets, business houses and residences of the town. The borough council has contracted for ten large arc street lights with the privilege of taking more at a very reasonable figure. The plant is expected to be in position in about thirty days.


Two Recent Marriages - Getting Ready to Bore for Oil.


Allegheny schools opened on Monday morning.


Mrs. Bruce Bowser is visiting relatives in Altoona.


Mrs. C. S. Gable has gone to Milton to visit her parents.


The schools of Juniata township are in their fourth week of the term.


Miss Cora Beegle of Altoona was visiting Miss Carrie Beegle last week.


Miss Emma Harris has returned from a two months' visit in Philadelphia.


Miss Mary Gunnett spent part of last week with relatives residing in Tyrone.


A new division fence is a contemplated improvement at the Methodist parsonage.


Our people are anxiously looking for the extension of the Logan Valley line this way.


A new coat of paint has improved the appearance of the station at the "Y" switches.
Elder G. W. Brumbaugh and wife, of Fredericksburg, were visiting relatives around here last week.


Another postponement of the opening of the borough schools has been made until Monday, October 16.


Mr. Benjamin Hammel of the East End has opened up a grocery in the old stand known as the "Ark."


Mrs. Jennie Richardson took her departure for Rhode Island last week, where she will assume the management of a sanitarium.


Mr. John Tate and wife are off on a pleasure trip. Among other places they will take in the sights of Philadelphia, Suffolk and Old Point Comfort.


Notwithstanding that a wave of prosperity has struck our town, three business stands all located on or near the Market square are standing idle.


Mr. C. E. Smith, an employee of the mill here and Miss Ada Pasten were united in marriage by Squire Cooper of Hollidaysburg on Tuesday evening last.


Mr. Hessen Wilt of Dry Run who has been under the doctor's care for several weeks at the home of Josiah Helsel, has been improving rapidly the last few days.
Thomas Parker has rented the large Hoover mansion on Market street. Now if he receives access to the MORNING TRIBUNE he will be ready to go to housekeeping in good shape.


Charles, the 13-year-old son of Constable and Mrs. H. E. Brown, died of typhoid fever on Thursday evening. Interment was made on Saturday afternoon in Carson Valley cemetery.


The patrons of the opera house say they would appreciate chairs or something more comfortable than boxes and rough boards. The day for "slab benches" has gone by.


Mr. Martin Sessler of Hollidaysburg and Miss Ella Dively of Claysburg were united in marriage by Rev. Isaac Krider at the Lutheran parsonage at this place on last Wednesday afternoon.


M. F. Beamer has returned from a business trip to New York and other places. While away he had the pleasure of an interview with R. H. Hance, the former secretary of the Portage Iron company and reports that gentleman as prospering.

The work of the erection of the oil derrick is progressing. When completed it will be upwards of seventy feet in height. They expect to be ready to start the drill in about ten or twelve days. Numerous bets as to the prospects and outcome of this enterprise are a daily occurrence in these parts.


Started on an Overland Trip.


Joe Biddle is clerking in the store of Long and Eversole in Altoona.


Miss Carrie Smith of Woodbury is visiting among friends in the village at present.


Mrs. Atlee Brumbaugh and daughter, Mabel, came up from Huntingdon on Friday evening and returned on Monday.


Next Saturday, the 14th inst., is the time appointed by the Old Seventh Day Baptist church to hold their communion meeting.


Mrs. Mary Snowberger expects in the near future to make her home with her daughter, Mrs. Nancy Replogle of Roaring Spring.


Daniel Detwiler, an aged citizen of South Woodbury township. had sale of his personal effects on the afternoon of the 10th inst.


Elder Levi F. Holsinger and his wife, Isaac Replogle, Jr., and his wife and two daughters, Maggie and Lizzie, and Clara Guyer started last Saturday on a trip by the overland route to visit Johnstown, Scalp Level and other places in the western counties.


A Number of Items of a Personal and Social Nature.


J. A. Wagner and wife made a trip to Martinsburg on Sunday afternoon.


Mr. Edward Wagner and wife took an overland trip to Altoona on Saturday and Sunday last.


Mr. Abe Shultz of Yellow Springs made a business trip to this place on Saturday last.


Mrs. Hannah Treese and Mrs. Charles called on Williamsburg friends on Tuesday last.


Mr. T. R. Lang and cousin of Grove from Huntingdon, called on Yellow Spring friends on Saturday and Sunday last.


Messrs. James Lewis of Hollidaysburg and James Lang of Williamsburg paid J. A. Wagner a visit on Wednesday evening.


Messrs. Earl Clabaugh and William Chaplain, two of Martinsburg's sports, were in our village on last Wednesday on business.


Messrs. Harvey and Dorsey Trees, two of our fine looking young men, took a pleasure trip to Altoona on Saturday and Sunday last.


Last Friday evening as Mr. E. J. Wagner and wife had come in to the store to do some buying and from there to her home at this place, much to her surprise as she opened the door she found a house full of old and young had gathered to celebrate her 23d birthday. At 8 o'clock the dining room door was opened and a table full of all the good things that anyone could want was spread before her. There were some seventy present to have a social good time together. Mrs. Wagner got quite a lot of useful and handsome presents. At 11 o'clock the guests left for their homes, wishing her many more happy birthdays.


After the Recent Fire - Coming Musical Entertainment.


Miss Mary Umbower spent a week with her brother, Elmer, of this place.


Mr. and Mrs. Barley of Bedford county spent last Sunday at Mr. Fider's.


William Shaffer found a $20 gold piece that was in the fire. It isn't damaged much.

Mr. John M. Snowberger of Dry Gap was a very sick man but he is better at this time of writing.


Mr. Enoch Walls of Frankstown township spent a couple of days with William Van Allman recently.


Mr. William Shaffer, whose house was burned down last Saturday, says he will begin as soon as possible to rebuild.


Last Tuesday two of Mr. Mock's cows bloated. One of the cows died; a fine one, almost full Jersey. The other one was saved. Young clover was the cause.


Mr. Milton Shaffer wishes it stated that he feels very grateful to the citizens of this place and Roaring Springs for the heroic work done in saving his house, which was in great danger of being burned last Saturday afternoon.


Literary Society Organized - Number of Personal Notes.


Rev. T. B. Maddocks spent Sunday in Roaring Spring.


Mr. H. D. Brumbaugh sold a valuable cow last Monday to Levi Burget.


Mr. Joseph Gates has improved his property by laying a new boardwalk.


Messrs. C. M. Black and E. H. Rhule shipped a car load of sheep last Saturday.


Mr. Lininger whom we reported last week as having typhoid fever is improving.


Mr. D. B. Maddocks made a short business trip to Fredericksburg last Monday evening.


Mr. James Funk, who is working in the mills at Duncansville, was at home over Sunday.


Mr. Frank Kyler of Saxton was at home last Saturday and Sunday visiting his aged mother.


Some of our farmers are seeding their ground the second time. They claim the fly destroyed the first set.


Last Sunday, Dr. John Wengert of Pavia, came to see his father who has been ill for some time but at present is some better.


The young people of our community met last Friday evening at the grammar school house to organize a literary society. They will work under the name of Sampson's Literary society. We hope to report much good work done by them during the winter. They following officers were elected: F. N. Brumbaugh, president; Miss Lula Brumbaugh, secretary; C. H. Wengert, treasurer. The programme for October 21 is as follows: Music, address of welcome by president; recitation, Miss Flora Spidle; select reading, Elvin Gates; music; oration, G. E. Burget; recitation, Bertha Brumbaugh; dialogue by J. E. Brumbaugh, Mollie Dilling, W. B. Baker; male quartette.


Local Institute.


The teachers at Huston district met at Dilling's school house, October 6, to organize their institute for the present year. The house was called to order by J. F. McDermott. The following officers were then elected: I. W. Smith, president; J. F. McDermott, vice president; Grace Mosser, secretary and Mary Detwiler, treasurer.


All the teachers and many of the patrons and friends of education were present.


The singing was a pleasant feature of the evening.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Wednesday, October 11, 1899, page 7


Brief Notes of Happenings in and About the City.


The City Passenger Railway company is having a number of its cars painted the standard color.


The work of macadamizing Tenth street between Fourth and Fifth avenues is about completed.


During the month of September there were seventy-five cases of typhoid fever in Johnstown and twelve deaths from the disease.


The road roller has been taken to Ninth street, where it will pack in the stones on that thoroughfare between Eighth and Ninth avenues.


The members of the Altoona high school foot ball team are requested to report each evening this week at the Twenty-seventh street grounds for practice.


Harry Hamel, the tobacconist, has arranged the windows of his store, Eleventh avenue near Seventeenth street, in a manner which attracts much favorable comment.


Blair Penlow, once a well-known character in Altoona, was yesterday sentenced to one day's imprisonment on the charge of vagrancy by Mayor Woodruff of Johnstown.


Patrolman Baird lost his badge on Seventh street between Seventh and Eighth avenues last night when he arrested Charles Davis. The finder will please return it to the police station.


It required three locomotives to haul Pittsburg express up the eastern slope yesterday afternoon. The train was composed of twelve cars, the last two of which contained samples of what is grown in Santa Clara county, Cal.


A burning flue at the boarding house of H. P. Black, 1012 Green avenue, was the cause of a still alarm of fire being sent into hose house No. 4 at 11:50 o'clock yesterday morning. The company responded and used the contents of one Rex extinguisher.


The night trains - New York mail, eastern express, fast line east and the Pittsburg limited - all arrived in this city in a bunch about 1:15 this morning. The first is due here at 10:15 o'clock, eastern express at 10:30, fast line at 12:14 and Pittsburg limited at 1:10. They were delayed on the Pittsburg division near Greensburg.


Items About People Whom You May Chance to Know.


Harry Smeltzer and mother are visiting relatives at Loretto.


George When, of Carrolltown, was a visitor in the city yesterday.


O. B. Plummer, formerly of this city, but now of Pittsburg, is visiting his parents here.


Henry Schilling, of 123 Seventh avenue, who was stricken with paralysis a short time ago, is slowly recovering.


William E. Calvert, of the clerical department of the postoffice, is spending a vacation with friends at Turtle Creek.


Blair Ward and Frank Sisler left last night on Philadelphia express for Hagerstown to attend the fair at that place.


R. O. Baird, a former resident of this city, but now engaged as engineer at the Westinghouse Electrical and Supply company in East Pittsburg, is visiting in Altoona.


C. D. Beegle, proprietor of the Lafayette hotel who has been on the sick list for the past month or more is daily improving and hopes soon to be about again.


George Treasure, Mrs. Rachel Treasure and Miss Jennie Treasure, accompanied by Mrs. Susie Briggle, were driven by Perry Treasure to the former's home in Bedford county, where their mother is lying very ill.


Crescent Course of Entertainment.


The advance sale of seats for the Crescent course will continue October 11, 12. John Thomas and his talented support will appear on Monday evening, October 16, being the first entertainment of the course. The regular sale of seats will be three days before each entertainment. Secure your season ticket for $1.00 at the opera house box office.


Officer Stephens Had a Lively Time in Making an Arrest.


A young man named Good was arrested last night on the charge of drunkenness and nuisance.


Two men were arrested last night on the charge of drunkenness.


Last night at 11:30 o'clock Officer Weible arrested a man named Miller at Chestnut avenue and Fourth street on the charge of being drunk, fighting and disorderly conduct.


Patrolman Baird arrested Charles Davis at Seventh avenue and Seventh street last night. A charge of drunkenness, vagrancy, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer were made against him.


Leopold Holle, who claims Lebanon, N. H., as his home, appeared at the police station yesterday afternoon. He acted very suspiciously and was locked up pending an investigation.


Charles Leonard was arrested at the McClain house at Ninth avenue and Ninth street, yesterday about noon by Patrolman Stephens. At the police station these charges were made against him: Drunkenness, disorderly conduct, fighting, using vulgar and profane language and resisting an officer. Leonard and Cliff Condo entered the hotel bar, where Leonard demanded something to drink. He was refused and he then proceeded to kick up a row. Officer Stephens was called in and when he attempted to arrest Leonard, he resisted and a scuffle ensued in which the officer was compelled to use his mace, which he did with good effect. Leonard was locked up and will be given a hearing today. Condo, it is alleged, interfered and was knocked down by the officer. He then beat a hasty retreat.


Two men arrested for drunkenness failed to appear for a hearing at the police station yesterday and forfeited their security.


Raymond Baurr, arrested for corner loafing, forfeited the security left for a hearing at the police station yesterday.


Morning Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Wednesday, October 11, 1899, page 8




Return to Top of Page


Blair County PAGenWeb : News


Copyright © 2018 Judy Rogers Banja (JRB) & contributors.  All rights reserved.