Blair County PAGenWeb


Blair County PAGenWeb





Blair County Newspaper Articles

News, obituaries, birth, marriage and death notices, by date.


Items from The Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa.,

Thursday, March 17, 1887




The vote cast Tuesday was about 1,500 short of that cast at the recent spring election.


John L. Hoffer, the oldest citizen of Miller township, Huntingdon county, is dead in the 83d year of his age.


The venerable G. R. Everson, of No. 1221 Eighth avenue, is lying dangerously ill with no hopes of his recovery.


The Philadelphia Times of Thursday announces the marriage by Rev. John Y. Dobbins, of Camden, N. J., on the 6th inst. of Mr. Harry C. Stiffler and Miss Lizzie Miller, both of Altoona.


Tuesday morning the Mountain Rod and Gun club, of this city, received from New York some fifty five young quail, which will be distributed among the farmers in this vicinity for the purpose of propagating this species of game.


We are pleased to note that Mr. R. A. McGlathery, who recently met with an accident at Mackey's planing mill, which resulted in his right hand being taken off by some machinery in which it was caught, is improving rapidly, being able to walk about through his home.


Ed. Smith, a repair hand employed by the Pennsylvania railroad company on the Packsaddle sub-division, was thrown under the wheels of an east-bound freight train Monday morning while trying to jump from it at Blairsville intersection, and had one of his legs ground off.


H. C. Lorenz will sell at public sale on the premises between Leamersville and East Freedom on Thursday, March 24, at 1 o'clock p. m., a lot of personal property consisting of horses, cows, cattle, sheep, hogs, wagons, farming implements, hay, seed corn and numerous other articles; also one piano. Terms made known on day of sale.


W. R. Steel, of New Florence, a brakeman on the Pennsylvania railroad, had the third and fourth fingers of his right hand mashed Monday afternoon at South Fork while attempting to couple an engine to a train of cars. His glove froze to the coupling link and thus prevented the withdrawal of his hand in time.


The Proposed Loan Voted Down.


The voters of the city Tuesday voted for and against the proposed loan of $250,000 for increasing the water supply of the city. The vote was very light, indicating either a want of interest in this subject on the part of the voters or an expression of their disapproval of the manner in which the legislation upon the subject had been passed upon by councils.


Whatever may have been the reasons which led to the result, the question of a loan has been disposed of for one year. The law for this assertion is found in section 4 of an act approved April 20, A. D. 1874, which says that "Whenever, by the returns of such election, it shall appear that there is a majority voting for 'no increase of debt,' such increase shall not be made, nor shall any other election upon the same subject be held in that municipality for one year from the date of such preceding election." The vote in detail of Tuesday's election:


DISTRICTS - For the Loan. - Against the Loan.
First Ward - First precinct - 55 - 110
" " - Second precinct - 42 - 78
Second wd - First precinct - 72 - 67
" " - Second precinct - 113 - 82
Third wd - First precinct - 55 - 61
" " - Second precinct - 72 - 94
Fourth wd - First precinct - 105 - 95
" " - Second precinct - 53 - 59
Fifth ward - First precinct - 99 - 163
" " - Second precinct - 67 - 69
Sixth ward - First precinct - 107 - 121
" " - Second precinct - 48 - 57
Seventh ward - 66 - 41
Eighth ward - 132 - 101


Total - 1086 - 1198


Majority against the loan, 112.


Cambria County's Court.


A special to the Johnstown Tribune, dated Ebensburg, March 14, says:


The jury in the case of the commonwealth vs. George Aukenbauer, charged with murder, brought in a verdict at 1.15 p. m. to-day of not guilty.


In the case of the commonwealth vs. John Nagle, James Crowley, Thomas Duke, and James Lynch, charged with burglary at the home of Caspar Carl, the court sentenced the prisoners each to pay a fine of five hundred dollars, the costs of prosecution, and to undergo an imprisonment in the penitentiary for a term of seven years.


In the case of the commonwealth vs. Nicholas Mulherron, convicted of the burglary of the house of George Aukenbauer, the court sentenced the prisoner to pay a fine of twenty dollars, the costs of prosecution, and to undergo imprisonment in the penitentiary for eighteen months.


In the case of the commonwealth vs. Francis Fitzgerald, larceny of shoes, the court sentenced the prisoner to pay a fine of fifty dollars, the costs of prosecution, and to undergo imprisonment in the penitentiary for one year.


Death of Mrs. Louisa Butler.


Sunday morning at 9 o'clock Mrs. Louisa Butler died at the residence of her husband, Robert Butler, Johnstown, Pa. She was aged 36 years and 6 days, and was a daughter of Mrs. Malinda Hiesler, 1117 Fourteenth avenue. Mrs. Butler was a member of the Reformed church and had been a sufferer for almost four years, and during all this time bore her pains with resignation as befits a Christian. Beside her husband and three children, and her widowed mother, she leaves several brothers and sisters. These are Adam, George and Tillie Hiesler, of this city; Mrs. Annie Fife, of Philadelphia; Mrs. Mary Ritchey, of Philadelphia; Andrew Hiesler, of St. Louis, and Lewis Hiesler, of Milwaukee.


Burglars at Work - A Number of Small Robberies Committed.


The city authorities were notified Wednesday to the effect that two burglaries had been committed sometime during Tuesday night.


Mr. Jacob Weiss occupies a one-story building on Fourth street, between Fifth and Sixth avenues, as a candy manufactory. He worked in the building until 10 o'clock on Tuesday night, and it was sometime between that hour and "opening up time" Wednesday morning that the thieves got in their work. They evidently had mouths for sweetness as they carried away a can and several boxes filled with candies, a pan of taffy and one of cocoanuts strips. Mr. Weiss estimates his loss at $25. Entrance was effected by cutting a panel out of the front door. The door was closed when the proprietor first went to the building Wednesday morning, but on opening it the panel fell out.


There was robbery by the wholesale at the residence of Mr. Daniel Gall, No. 322 Seventh avenue, Tuesday night, and it is supposed to have occurred some time before half-past 2 o'clock Wednesday morning. It was about that time that Mrs. Gall was roused up by a noise, but to which she had paid little attention. Shortly afterward she did get up, however, and the noise made by her in walking over the floor is supposed to have frightened the thieves away. Not until morning did she go down stairs and then was startled at the condition in which she found things. Every door, including the front door, was open. A window at the side of the house was partially hoisted and it was through this the fellows effected an entrance. Outside the cellar door was open, but a door locked with a padlock stopped any entrance up-stairs by this route. Judging from the articles taken the thieves must be getting ready to go to housekeeping. Among other articles taken were the following: Half dozen spoons, half dozen forks, two butter knives, a sugar spoon, a mustard spoon. These were all of silver and Rogers' make. Half-dozen steel knives and forks, a gold pen and white bone holder, two pairs nickel-plated scissors, two razors (Wade & Butcher's make), three red table cloths, ten red napkins and two napkin rings. From the cellar there was taken a large basket in which butter, eggs, a large ham and innumerable cakes were put and which also disappeared. There were marks of a candle found in a number of places down stairs, and the thieves brought it with them, as there were none in the house. Altogether about $40 or $50 worth of articles were taken.


An unsuccessful attempt was made about 2 o'clock Thursday morning to enter the dwelling house of William Blackburn, Seventh avenue near Third street. The would-be thieves (for from the noise there must have been more than one) made so much racket in their endeavors to raise one of the side windows that Mr. Blackburn was awakened, and on his getting up and proceeding down stairs the fellows skipped.


Select Councilman John R. Fraser resides at No. 402 Walnut avenue. Between a quarter after 2 and half-past 3 o'clock Thursday morning his house was entered by a thief and $70 in money taken therefrom. The robbery was not only a bold one, but it also gave evidence that the fellow who did it was stealthy in his movements, as the money was taken from the bedroom occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Fraser. The evidence Thursday borne by the windows was that an attempt was made first to enter by one of the windows on the side of the house. This was securely fastened. The back window of the kitchen was, unfortunately, not in the same fix, and was easily hoisted, the marks of the fellow's shoes being plainly visible in a small ash pile on which he stood to accomplish his purpose. Once inside, the thief went into the dining room where he went through Mr. Fraser's coat but got nothing for his pains. He overlooked the vest of Will Fraser, son of the councilman, which was hanging near by and in which was the owner's watch and chain. From the dining room he proceeded up stairs and into Mr. Fraser's bed-room. Here he got Mrs. Fraser's dress and from the pocket of it abstracted $70 - two $10 bills and a package containing $50. This done he took the clothes out of the wardrobe but only got a small amount of odd change for his pains. When he departed the thief took with him about two pounds of butter, a loaf of bread and a can of corn. There was evidence to the effect that a coal oil lamp was used by the burglar during his explorations. The many friends of Mr. Fraser will unite in the hope that he may yet recover the missing money.


Some time during Tuesday or Wednesday nights the hall of the Concordia Singing society, Second avenue and Ninth street, was entered by thieves and despoiled of a considerable part of its contents. The discovery was made by the janitor of the hall when he visited it yesterday morning. Articles valued at $53 were taken and $18 of this amount will be individual loss of the janitor. Fifteen dollars worth of cigars and an accordion were among the things taken. All the closets were broken open and ransacked and the sheet music was thrown indiscriminately over the floor. There was certainly more than one in the gang. Entrance was effected through the back door which had been burst open. The society offers a reward of $25 for information which will lead to the arrest and conviction of the thieves, and it is hoped the gang may be apprehended.


Accident Record.


Between 12 and 1 o'clock Thursday morning L. A. Bingman, residing at 807 Eleventh avenue, who is employed as a brakeman on the Pennsylvania railroad, while engaged in cutting a train loose at Fourth street met with a painful accident. His overhauls caught on a box which forced him against a car wheel resulting in his right leg sustaining a contused wound and his right foot being sprained. The hospital authorities were notified and the injured man was taken to that institution in the ambulance and he was given the necessary attention.


The 3-year-old son of Albert C. Rouzee, No. 1122 Seventh avenue, while playing about a sewing machine Thursday evening got the middle finger of his left hand under the arm which holds the needle in place. The wheel revolved and the finger was pierced through by the needle which broke off, leaving a half inch of its length in the finger. This was taken out by Dr. G. W. Arny.


Election of Officers.


The second annual meeting of the People's building and loan association was held in the dark room of the opera house Thursday night, when the following persons were elected officers for the current year: President, M. H. Mackey; vice president, A. J. Anderson; secretary, D. S. Keith; treasurer, James W. Findley; directors for three years, James Hutchinson, F. W. Olmes, Dr. C. B. Dudley; for two years, J. B. Cole; auditors, C. T. Witherow, J. B. Bowles and J. Milton Wilson.


The third series of 300 shares was filled. The annual report will be ready for distribution at the regular monthly meeting and will be a gratifying one to the stockholders.


Had His Arm Broken.


On Thursday morning Elmer Ingram, employed at the ovens of the steam bakery of A. F. Heess, Eighth avenue and Thirteenth street, while at work had his right hand caught by a belt and drawn into some machinery. Before he could extricate it both bones of the forearm had been broken and the flesh lacerated, the hand receiving little injury. He was removed to the office of Dr. George Price, where the fractures were reduced and the hurts dressed, and then taken to his home, First avenue and Fourth street. Mr. Ingram is a single man and 24 years of age.


His Sudden Death at the Logan House on Tuesday Evening.


The boarders and frequenters of the Logan house were startled on Tuesday on learning that Major John W. Duncan, a boarder at the house, had been found dead at room 82, which was the one occupied by him. The news spread rapidly and many regrets were heard over the sudden demise of a gentleman who was well-known to many of our citizens and familiar by sight to many others. Major Duncan had an extensive acquaintance in various parts of the state - notably Philadelphia and Allegheny county, having been in business for many years, and the intelligence of his death will be learned with regret.


The deceased was 60 years of age, and was born in Allegheny County. He was twice married, his first wife being Miss Martha Shoenberger, daughter of Dr. Peter Shoenberger, who was largely interested in the production of iron and who owned several valuable plants in this county. By his first wife he had three children - Collins, deceased; Peter, of Bedford, and Miss Sallie D., also of Bedford. His second wife was Miss Mary Cash, of Philadelphia, who died in that city on the 24th of last December. He had been a resident of Philadelphia for about fifteen years. Deceased was a nephew of Judge McCandless, of Pittsburgh. Major Duncan was for thirty years engaged in the iron business in this county, notably at Bloomfield Furnace. He supplied much of the metal from which cannon were made by the Fort Pitt iron company of Pittsburgh, and which were used in the late war. He was also connected for some months with a regiment of Pennsylvania volunteers which saw service during the war. He was a graduate of Jefferson college, Canonsburg, Jefferson county. In this world's goods the deceased was comfortably well off, having a life interest in the Shoenberger estate.


Although apparently a healthy man Major Duncan was not so. On the 10th inst. he came to Altoona from Philadelphia and complained of being ill. He also appeared to have a premonition that he was not to remain in this world very long, for he said to several persons that he wanted to be near his home and kindred. Tuesday evening at about a quarter after 6 o'clock while in conversation he made a similar remark and said he did not feel at all well. Arising he bade the gentleman to whom he was talking good-bye, and tottered across the floor and went to his room. Soon afterward he rang the bell for his supper and also sent a boy on an errand.


When the latter came back he found the deceased lying on the floor on his face. This was about 8 o'clock. Superintendent W. R. Dunham was informed and went to the room but found there but the tenement of clay - the vital spark had flown. A physician was summoned who stated that death was doubtless caused by the rupture of a blood vessel. The remains were placed in the charge of Undertakers Tipton & Lafferty by whom they were prepared for burial and telegrams were sent announcing the sad news of his death. The body will be taken to Pittsburgh for interment but the funeral arrangements have not yet been definitely decided upon.
At Millville Friday Evening.


Washington camp No. 60 Patriotic Order Sons of America, located at Millville, was duly constituted Friday evening in Davis hall, at that place. District President John Arble was the instituting officer, assisted by officers and members of camps 31 and 54 of this city. Past National President James K. Helms was also present and instituted the officers, as follows: Past president, Charles Snoberger; president, Samuel Clapper; vice president, Frederick Snoberger; master of forms and ceremonies, John L. Shaver; chaplain, I. Mowery; recording secretary, William Shaffer; assistant recording secretary, T. W. Davis; financial secretary, Andrew Hague; treasurer, Samuel H. Rice; conductor, Jacob Mitchell; inner guard, Morris Allen; outer guard, Harry Rice; right sentinel, Robert Robison; left sentinel, George Yingling; trustees, Samuel Clapper, William Mitchell and Frederick Snoberger.


After the new camp had been organized and the officers inducted into their stations, short addresses were made by District President John Arble, Rev. J. J. Kerr, John S. Calvert and W. H. Schwartz. President S. B. Tompkins, of camp 54, presided during the evening and proved himself the right man in the right place. The new camp starts with a goodly membership, and having a large territory to draw on and earnest men at its head, will doubtless make a good record for itself.


Death of an Aged Resident of Huntingdon County.


Jacob Anspach, a well known resident and farmer near McAlevy's Fort, Huntingdon county, died on Wednesday, March 9, after a long illness, due to a stroke of paralysis, which he received about eighteen months ago. He was born January 23, 1804, and was the father of Mrs. Dr. Gamble and Mrs. Malden Valentine, of this city. He was held in high esteem in the county where he lived and many looked unto him for advice. He was always a friend of the poor, one of the leading members in the Lutheran church of which he will be sadly missed. His great desire was to live an honest, Christian life, always looking toward the advancement of Christian teachings. His past life and teachings should be followed by those who desire to secure that blessing which has been promised unto us all. He often spoke to the writer of God's goodness to him and insisted upon his following the teachings of the gospel. Funeral this (Friday) morning. Peace to his ashes.


Found Guilty.


On the night of the 17th of December last the residence of Casper Carl, in Cambria county, was broken into, and by threats and menaces the robbers took what money they could find. James Cooley, James N. Nagle, James Lynch, Thomas Duke and Henry Thompson were arrested on the charge of being implicated in the same. The cases came to trial on Wednesday. Prior to arraigning the prisoners the district attorney of Cambria county asked leave to enter a nol pros. as to Henry Thompson. This was granted. The trial was concluded Thursday and resulted in the conviction of Cooley, Nagle, Lynch and Luke. Sentence will be imposed on Monday. Chief McGough and Officer McFeely, of this city, were witnesses against the accused, and T. H. Greevy, esq., was counsel for Nagle, Lynch and Duke.


Appointed Mechanical Engineer.


The resignation of Mr. John W. Cloud to accept the position of superintendent of motive power of the New York, Lake Erie and Western railroad, caused a vacancy in the office of the mechanical engineer of the Pennsylvania railroad. The vacancy has been filled by the appointment of Mr. Axel Vogt who had been assistant to Mr. Cloud. Mr. Vogt is thoroughly versed in the duties which attach to the office and will doubtless discharge them to the satisfaction of the company.


Wedding Anniversary.


Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Gearhart celebrated the thirtieth anniversary of their marriage day by inviting a large number of their friends to their residence in Logantown on Thursday evening. There was excellent music, both instrumental and vocal, and a collation was served which was one of the finest. It is the fervent wish of all who attended that the worthy couple may live to celebrate many anniversaries.


Death of a Venerable Lady.


Mrs. Anna Bloomfield, mother of Henry Bloomfield and Mrs. Harriet Wood, of this city, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Annie Bloomfield, Columbia, Pa., at 7.45 on Thursday evening, aged 81 years, 5 months and 20 days. Her remains were brought to this city for interment.


The Properties Disposed of at the County Capital on Friday.


The interest of J. Pierce Bell in and to all that certain lot of ground situated in Bellwood, Blair county, Pa., to H. M. Baldridge, esq., for $110.


Also the interest of the same in a lot of ground situated on the corner of Boyle and Second streets, and having thereon erected a two story house and a one and one half story house and necessary outbuildings, to Martin Bell, jr., esq. , for $700.


The interest of S. Gottshall, owner, and J. Geesey, contractor, in a half lot of ground on Willow avenue and Second street, Altoona, having thereon a plank dwelling house, etc., sold to H. R. Ehrlenbaugh for $870. Mr. David K. Ramey gave notice to bidders that the title to this property was in him.


The interest of J. W. Megahan, owner, and John Geesey, contractor, in a lot of ground on Willow avenue and Second street, Altoona, having thereon erected a plank dwelling house, etc. Sold to H. R. Ehrlenbaugh for $950.


The interest of Mary A. Horrell in two lots of ground on Thirteenth avenue, between Fifteenth and Sixteenth streets, Altoona, having thereon erected two dwelling houses, a store room and other buildings. One lot sold to Joseph Werkner for $835, subject to the payment of a mortgage due the building and loan association of $400, and the other to Wm. M. Byer, esq., for $1,050.


The interest of Olive B. Stewart and Harry Stewart in a lot of ground on Eighteenth avenue, between Fifteenth and Sixteenth street, having thereon erected a two story frame dwelling house, etc. Sold to Charles Retzlaff for $1,625.


The following properties were held over until Monday:


The interest of William P. Hooper in a lot of ground fronting on Lexington avenue, Altoona, having thereon erected a two-story frame dwelling, etc.


The interest of Michael Sharkey in a lot of ground on Eleventh avenue, between Twenty-second and Twenty-third streets, and two lots of ground on Twelfth avenue and Twenty second street.


The interest of J. C. Ehrenfelt in three lots of ground on Broad street and Union avenue, Altoona, having thereon erected a frame dwelling house, etc.


The following properties were stayed:


The interest of Thomas W. Davis in a lot of ground in Millville, having thereon erected a two-story frame dwelling house, etc.


The interest of Jesse J. Noonan in a lot of ground in Logan township, fronting on Twenty-first avenue, having thereon erected a two-story frame dwelling house, etc.


The interest of Daniel Bowser in a lot of ground on Eighth avenue and Twenty-third street, Altoona, having thereon erected a dwelling house, etc.


The interest of Harry H. Bratton in a lot of ground situate in Tyrone, having thereon erected a frame dwelling house and other buildings.


Extending Their Order.


The work of extending the numbers and influence of the Patriotic Order Sons of America in this county continues. Tuesday evening a meeting was held in Glunt's hall, Fairview, at which John S. Calvert presided and Past National President James K. Helms and others delivered addresses, which were well received by those present. Twenty-eight persons have already signed the application for a new camp, to be located at Fairview, and there are others to follow. The charter members will meet in Glunt's hall on Tuesday evening next to elect officers. The date of the institution of this camp will be announced hereafter. Williamsburg and Bellwood are expected to wheel into line next.


Robbed of Twenty Pigeons.


Between 11 and 12 o'clock on Thursday night some unknown parties broke into the coal house in the rear of the residence of Mr. Harry Strought. The first attempt was made at the back door of the coal house, but was unsuccessful. They met with more success with the front door, as they opened it, after breaking two locks. Twenty valuable pigeons were taken, the rabbits were left out into the yard and in their tramping around the marauders crushed two Guinea pigs to death. Mr. Strought's residence is at Third street and Seventh avenue.


Found Dead in Bed.


Coroner Glenn was Tuesday evening notified of the death of Edgar H. Jones, a gentleman who was 81 years of age and who made his home with his son, who resides on Main street, Tyrone. Some time during the day the dead body of Mr. Jones was found in bed, but on the coroner's arriving and making inquiries, he did not deem it necessary to hold an inquest. Death was the result of vertigo. The remains of the deceased will be taken to Michigan for interment, but when we did not learn.


Pensions to Pennsylvanians.


Among the pensions granted on Wednesday to Pennsylvanians was one to William C. Hollen, Altoona. Increase of pension to Frederick Yocum, of Philipsburg, Centre county; William F. Gillam, Mapleton, Huntingdon county; William Robinson, Sarah, Blair county; Joseph Titwiler, Williamsburg, Blair county; Hugh W. Riddle. Bellefonte. Reissue and increase to Paul S. Mauk, King, Bedford county.


A Shop Yard Brakeman So Badly Hurt That Death Ensues.


Mr. John R. Rhodes, employed as an extra brakeman in the lower shop yards, was so badly injured by an accident Friday morning as to cause his death a few hours later. The accident occurred at five minutes after 11 o'clock, and, while no one appears to know just how it did happen, it is supposed that he was pulling a coupling pin which held a link attaching a car to the engine, when in some manner he was jolted off and run over by the cars. When he was discovered it was found that he had been terribly injured. At 11.15 the hospital authorities were notified and within half an hour he had been removed to that institution. The accident occurred at the lower end of the Pullman car sheds, near Fourth street.


At the hospital an examination showed that his left leg had been crushed from the ankle almost to the groin, his left arm had been broken near the shoulder and several ribs over his heart had been crushed in. The physicians performed no amputation for the reason that it was an impossibility to save his life. Mr. Rhoades lingered until half-past 2 in the afternoon when death relieved him from his sufferings. His watch, which was found on his person after the accident, was completely crushed, the back case bearing the marks of the screws which held the works together. Rev. Dr. A. K. Bell was called and administered to his spiritual wants, remaining with him until he died.


The deceased was aged 22 years and was single. His father died about six months ago and thus John became the principal support of his widowed mother, who has four sons and a daughter living. This renders the death one of peculiar sadness and it is not to be wondered at that Mrs. Rhoades was almost overcome with grief. Deceased had on Tuesday night last been elected a member of Altoona Council 154, Junior Order American Mechanics. His remains were taken to Newry on Monday for interment in Lutheran cemetery.


Coroner Glenn went to Tipton Monday to hold an inquest on the remains of Arthur B. Aultz, the details of whose accidental death have been published. Wm. Morrow, Wm. Taylor, Samuel Irwin, George Hildebrand, William Barrett and P. B. Stern wore summoned as jurors. After bearing the evidence they rendered the following verdict: Death was caused by falling off a freight train at Tipton Station March 12, and it appears from the evidence there is no blame attached to any one.


His Sudden Death While Eating Dinner Monday in the Shops.


James O'Conner, who, with his family, resided at No. 2119 Twelfth avenue, had not been in very good health lately, although he had been working in the boiler shop, in which department of the Pennsylvania railroad works in this city he was employed as a laborer. He had complained more or less of a pain in his side, but went to work on Monday morning as usual. Mr. O'Conner, owing to the distance his place of work was from his home, ate his noon-day meals in the shops. Between 12 and 1 o'clock Monday he was engaged in this occupation, when he suddenly became ill and died in a few minutes.


Dr. T. J. Christy was summoned and after making an examination of the dead man gave it as his opinion that death was due to paralysis of the heart. The features of the deceased bore no marks of pain or suffering as would naturally have been left had death been the result of choking. Later on in the afternoon the remains were removed to his late residence and placed in charge of Undertaker Lynch.


The deceased was born in Ireland and was a brother of the late Patrick O'Connor, of Philadelphia, with whom he worked for a number of years when the former was a contractor for railroad work on the Tyrone and Clearfield branch. Deceased had been a resident of Altoona for a number of years and was married to Miss Mary Moore. His wife and five children survive him. Four of his children are girls and one a boy, the eldest being 14 years of age and youngest 9 months. Mr. O'Conner was about 44 years of age, a consistent member of St. John's Catholic church and a gentleman who had many friends in the city.


Marriage Bells.


On the evening of March 10, at the residence of Henry S. Wilson, esq., in Kishacoquillas valley, Pa., at 7.30 o'clock, Mr. A. O. Russler and Miss Jennie Taylor, the accomplished daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Wilson, were united in marriage. Not less than 140 guests witnessed the ceremony, which was pronounced by the bride's uncle, Rev. R. F. Wilson, of Lewistown, Revs. Joseph H. Fleming, of Franklin county, another uncle, and R. M. Campbell, of Port Royal, her late pastor, assisting. The bride was the recipient of many presents, many of which were handsome and all very useful. Among them was a beautiful gold watch from an uncle, Robert Taylor, esq.


The refreshments for the guests present were bountiful, varied and excellent. The Belleville brass band was present and shared in the good things and also in a substantial gift from the host for the excellent music furnished. After the small hours of the night came on the company took their leave. The occasion evidenced a great deal of enjoyment and good cheer. Mr. and Mrs. Russler will soon leave for their new home in Lincoln, Lincoln county, Kansas. Her oldest brother is there in business and will give them a cordial reception.


Veterans to Hold a Reunion.


The survivors of the One Hundred and Eighty-fourth and One Hundred and Forty-eighth regiments Pennsylvania volunteers intend holding a reunion at Bellefonte, Centre county, on the 23d of June, 1887, and the TRIBUNE has been asked to notify any members of the regiment residing in Blair or adjacent counties to the above effect. Any persons desiring further information can obtain the same by addressing Frank Jones or S. O. M Curdy [McCurdy], Mt. Carmel, Pa.


Death of Peter D. Madden.


Peter D. Madden, son of William and Jane Madden, died at the residence of his parents, No. 816 Eighth avenue, at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. The deceased was born in this city April 25, 1862, and was consequently in his 25th year. Death resulted from consumption, from which he had suffered for two years.




BURKEY - WALTERS. - At the Baptist parsonage, Hollidaysburg, March 10, by Rev. H. F. King, John F. Burkey and Miss Harriet J. Walters, both of Plane Ten.




ZIMMERMAN. - At Sarah Furnace, March 10, 1887, Jacob Zimmerman, aged 71 years, 11 months and 11 days.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Thursday, March 17, 1887, page 3




Mr. W. S. Bell has purchased of Mr. Joseph F. Barroner a two story frame dwelling situated on Juniata street, south of Garber. Mr. Bell has provided for himself a comfortable home.


Ground has been broken on Pipe street, between Union and Penn, for the erection of three handsome dwelling houses, on what is known as the Over plat. J. C. Condron has the contract and Mr. Lyn A. Brua is the interesting citizen who is investing the capital.


The ladies of the Hollidaysburg Industrial school realized $48 by their parlor concert on Friday night at the residence of Judge Dean. And it is a pleasure to note in addition that all who were present got the full worth of the money invested. Among Hollidaysburg's amateurs may be found excellent musical talent.


Among the unfortunates is Mr. John Henzy, of Taylor township. A two-story frame dwelling belonging to him, and situated in the Dry Gap a short distance from McKee's Station, took fire on Saturday afternoon and was entirely destroyed. The house was occupied at the time by Robert Fagans and the fire is supposed to have originated from a defective flue. The worst feature about this fire is that the building was uninsured.


Miss Frances Figart, teacher of one of the schools in Blair township, located near Brooks' station, closed her school term on last Thursday the 10th inst. In the afternoon she gave a school exhibition which was attended by a number of the neighbors and greatly enjoyed by all present. Miss Figart by her kind manner and successful method of teaching became very popular with the pupils and their parents, and all regretted her departure.


Contractors, carpenters and business men generally are in cheerful spirits. All seem to move about with a light step. A smile of happiness brightens every countenance. Our mills, both iron and wood working, are hammering louder than ever, our furnaces are smoking as they never smoked, and the word passes along the line that the spring is opening up with plenty of work for all, and as the days are lengthening the signs of the times are brightening.


Mr. U. S. Eichholtz, of Nashville, Tenn., and well known in this community, tarried at the county capital with his relatives and friends for a short time last week. He departed for Philadelphia Monday morning, where he goes to receive surgical and medical treatment for a throat trouble. Mr. Eichholtz is at present engaged as principal bookkeeper and salesman in a large musical establishment in Nashville, and his talent as a musician has made him quite a favorite in that city.


Our industries are of vastly more importance than many of our citizens sufficiently realize. One of our mills known as "the little mill" is running at full capacity and turns out daily some of the finest iron. Its yard today is crowded with stock in value perhaps $30,000, which will be rolled out in all shapes, sizes and kinds of the best merchantable iron within the next two or three weeks. This industry - the Hollidaysburg iron and nail company - has upon its pay- roll over 200 employes, and disburses monthly in our midst from $5,000 to $6,000.


The residence of Dr. E. E. Mong, of East Freedom, was badly damaged by fire at an early hour on Friday morning last. The origin of the fire is not known, but it started in the sitting room, and whilst by hard work on the part of the neighbors the flames were confined to the room in which they originated, yet the second floor was also more or less damaged, so much so as to oblige the family to move out until the necessary repairs can be made. The dwelling is fully insured in the Continental of New York. The furniture, which was also badly damaged, is also covered by insurance.


At a meeting of the directors of the Hollidaysburg gaslight and water company, held in the office of Hon. A. S. Landis on Saturday evening last, among other matters of business transacted was the adoption of a regulation reducing the price of gas to two dollars per thousand feet. As we were not furnished with a copy of the resolutions, we are unable to publish them, but understand the reduction in the price of gas to have been the principal feature. Whilst the price is not yet quite as low as in our neighboring towns and cities, yet our people will be glad a movement has been made tending in that direction, and at $2 per 1,000 feet the consumption of that illuminating article will in a short time be doubled in this community.


The Ladies' Aid society of the Lutheran church will provide a first-class dinner and supper for the small sum of twenty-five cents each meal. The grand dinner will be spread on Thursday at noon, and the bill of fare will, among other luxuries, embrace roast chicken, roast veal, roast beef, pork and sauer kraut. The supper will be in the evening, and also on Friday evening, commencing at 5 o'clock. Chicken and waffles a specialty. Ice cream of the finest favor and delicious cake extra. Three large rooms suited to the purpose have been engaged, and all who will favor the ladies with their presence can be amply accommodated. The rooms are opposite the postoffice. Handsome and obliging young ladies will attend the tables.


The following item regarding an old war relic which we clip from the Harrisburg Independent, will greatly interest many Hollidaysburgers. Colonel William G. Murray post No. 39, will certainly appreciate the proposed gift and will esteem it as one of its most valuable relics: "At the battle of Winchester, Va., March 23, 1862, the horse of the gallant Colonel William G. Murray, of the Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania infantry, was shot from under him, and the colonel dismounting, led his men on foot and was killed. The horse recovered and was sent home to Mrs. Murray. It was bought by Samuel Brightbill, of Steelton, and died four years ago, aged 25 years. Comrades Snare and Dent, of Steelton Grand Army of the Republic post No. 351, resurrected the horse, the bones of which are to be distributed among the Grand Army of the Republic posts having members who belonged to Colonel Murray's regiment at the time of his death. The head is to go to Colonel William G. Murray post No. 39, of Hollidaysburg, Pa."


On Thursday evening the popular store of McKee & Cliber made a very narrow escape being burned out. Mr. Cliber had just finished lighting the gas in the show windows when his attention was called to a blaze in the east window. In an instant the large window which was filled with lace goods, handkerchiefs and other light combustible fabrics, was in a sheet of flame, and although Mr. Cliber sprang quickly into the window and did his best, with the assistance of a gentleman who was near, to stamp out the fire, many articles were destroyed. In his efforts to save the property Mr. Cliber's hands were badly burned. His sufferings for a short time were intense. He now moves about with both hands muffled in bandages, and he presents the appearance of one of the "fancy" ready for a sparring match. But Mr. Cliber thinks the matter is too painful to be funny. It is not exactly known how the fire originated, but the supposition is that the burning match accidentally fell inside instead of outside the window. The loss is covered by insurance and Mr. Cliber fortunately carries an accident policy in the Fidelity and Casualty of New York.




The teamsters doing hauling in and about town adopted a uniform scale of charges at their meeting on Saturday night, so that underbidding is at an end.


Thieves relieved a clothes line in the yard at the rear of the residence of Mr. Samuel Rote on Main street, of a number of pieces of linen, etc., Tuesday night.


Professor L. G. Grier, of Birmingham, who has for some time been ailing seriously with some complaint of the stomach, left for Philadelphia at noon Monday to consult a physician there.


Myrian Iddings, the farmer living rear Snow Shoe Intersection, an account of whose horrible death was reported on Saturday, fell into the fire under the kettle, and not into the "seething mass of boiling maple syrup in the kettle," as several of the reports had it.


Trade dollars if not too much worn or mutilated will be taken on deposit by our banks at par. As these dollars are not to be paid out again our banks lose the freight in sending them in for redemption. They handle them merely to accommodate their customers and as explained they do so at an expense. Mutilated or worn trade dollars are only worth bullion value. [ ]


Harry Isenberg, employed on the Spruce Creek work train, in getting off his train at Barre on Saturday evening, stumbled and fell under. Before he could free himself the wheels passed over his left leg. The unfortunate man, whose age is about 24 years, resides at Alexandria. He is married, but has no children. He had finished his work for the week and was leaving the train to go home when the accident occurred.


An action brought against the supervisors of Tyrone township charging them with neglecting to make necessary repairs to the public road leading from the bridge at Birmingham to Sinking Valley, was tried before 'Squire Jones on Monday morning. The complaint declared that the road had become a public nuisance. W. L. Pascoe, esq., represented the complainants, and W. L. Hicks, esq., the supervisors. The case was settled by the supervisors agreeing to pay the costs of the suit and further agreeing to immediately repair the road.


Edith Pearl, a very bright and interesting little girl, a daughter and eldest child of Daniel G. and Elizabeth Herzog, died at her home on Dallas street at 9.30 o'clock Friday evening. She was within three weeks of being 3 years old, having been born April 5, 1884. She took a severe cold only a week before and the next morning an attack of mumps and a bad sore throat developed, and before these ills could be checked pseudomembranous croup was added to the list, and with this she died. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon, the service having been conducted in the English Lutheran church by the pastor, Rev. H. M. Oberholtzer.


Several stray dollars were lost last week in making bets as to the correct meaning of the word "transpire." Some, for instance, insisted that if beads of perspiration were standing upon one's forehead it would be properly used to say "My, but I am transpiring!" and then turn to either Webster or Worcester to prove that they were right. The use of the word in this sense is wrong. The trouble is that those who have submitted to a loss on the strength of a carelessly noted interpretation of the definition of the word did not go far enough. The definition given by the authorities is plain enough, but too many lose sight of the word "insensible," used in connection with "perspiration" in the definition. Perspiration, as visible, may be local and is spasmodic. Transpiration is invisible, is in action all over the body continually and is as necessary to life as breathing.


The familiar face and form of Arthur Brown Aultz, better known as "Salty" Aultz, has been seen on the streets of Tyrone for the last time. "Salty," who had charge and resided with his family on his father's farm near Tipton, was in town Saturday evening. His unconquerable love for strong drink was his bane and on Saturday evening he secured, in some way, the wherewithal to satisfy his craving. Between 11 and 12 o'clock he boarded a freight train headed for home. In getting off at Tipton he fell under the wheels and the train passed over both his legs above the knees. He managed to drag himself over a little away from the rails and about an hour later was found by Fred Fox. He was taken home and medical aid summoned, but the injuries he received were too much for even his strong constitution and death ended his sufferings at 7.30 o'clock yesterday morning. Deceased was 40 years of age and leaves a wife and six children to mourn his untimely death. His father, Mr. Samuel Aultz, his mother and his family, have the sympathy of the entire community.


Probably the most complete and perfectly arranged social gathering - its size, seemingly unwieldy proportions and many other things considered - that has ever taken place in Tyrone was given under the auspices of Tyrone castle No. 79, Knights of the Golden Eagle, in Beyer's rink on Logan street on Thursday evening. When the 6.54 east- bound train arrived a delegation of nearly 200 sir knights and their ladies - 150 from Elmo castle, Altoona, and forty from Bellwood - swarmed out of the cars. They were met at the station by the reception committee and escorted directly to the rink, the Sheridan band leading the procession.


Once inside the large building the visitors met the other guests of the evening and then for an hour every body fell to work in becoming acquainted with every body else. The rink had been fixed up for the occasion. A stage was erected at the end next the street and running half way down the room, facing the stage comfortable seats had been placed. The great beams overhead and the top and sides of the stage were tastefully draped with evergreens; a great flag formed the background of the stage and in front over the top hung a motto bearing the words: "Welcome, K. G. E." At the other end of the room stood three long tables provided with places for 171 persons and beyond them behind the curtains was the wherewith to feed the throng.


While the guests were becoming acquainted, belated guests kept arriving and the Philharmonic Orchestra filled the air with sweet music, so that when at 8 o'clock Sir Knight W. L. Hicks, on behalf of Tyrone castle, rose to deliver the address of welcome, he had a sea of over 400 faces before him. Grand Sir Herald A. C. Lyttle, of Elmo, and Sir Knight E. E. Wilson, of Bellwood, responded in behalf of their brethren to the address of welcome. This was really the opening of the evening's festivities. Sir Knight F. A. Harris came next with select reading. Next came Sir Knight R. S. Seeds with a recitation entitled "Hash." Next a recitation by Miss Ella Ripple.


Floor Manager Sir Knight Richard Beaston then announced that the forty ladies who had charge of tables were ready to feed the multitude, and about 9.30 o'clock the tables were filled, the visitors of course being first. There is no use telling the readers what the banquet consisted of; it can be summed up by saying that the tables were loaded with an abundance of everything that could be suggested for such an occasion. For two whole hours the banqueting continued, during which time those who were not at the tables were entertained by the orchestra and by recitations by Sir Knights R. S. Seeds, E. E. Wilson and others.


After the banquet came a long list of toasts but space forbids making mention of them. They were all good and were well answered. The festivities were kept up until nearly 2 o'clock when the visitors departed for home. It is an extremely difficult task to handle a crowd of 400 and more people in a gathering of this sort without a hitch somewhere but Tyrone Castle proved equal to the emergency in every particular and nothing occurred to mar the pleasure of the evening.




It is reported that the remains of Dr. J. H. Ake will be raised and placed in a vault.


Mr. Levi Sparr has reconsidered his notion of going westward and will remain among the hills and valleys of his native county.


Mr. Henry Ake, in addition to failing eyesight, has been confined to his home with sickness but is able to get around a little again.


Ex-Register and Recorder Plummer has purchased one of the John Royer farms known the Rhodes tract and will move to it about April 1.


The Good Templars have taken up quarters in the hall of the Grand Army of the Republic. Regular meeting night, Friday of each week.


Efforts are being made to have a passenger station at the water plug, with what success I cannot say or what the name will be. Presume it will be Point View.


The steam drill at Schmucker & Co.'s quarry is in successful operation and doing excellent work. In five minutes it will drill a five inch hole two feet deep in hard limestone.


We are glad to note that quite a number of our citizens will keep their children employed going to school during the public school vacation. Mr. Knode reports good progress in raising a summer school.


Yesterday the last of our public schools closed. It was in charge of Mr. Knode who has done his best to make his school a success and has well succeeded. The afternoon was spent in carrying out the exhibition programme; it was beautiful and well done. Below is the programme: Music, Knode and Metz; recitation, "The Dying Child," Tillie Krell; recitation, "Ship on Fire," Lizzie Maize; reading, Dollie Trout; music, solo, Carrie Eichholtz; recitation, "Dying Nun," Lucy Edwards; recitation "The Smack in School," Kate Dean; dialogue, "Frog Hollow Lyceum;" recitation, "Rivalry in Church," Tillie Shollar; recitation, "Mrs. Maloney on the Chinese Question," Rose Nagle; recitation, "Village School Master," Susie Dean; recitation, "Evening on the Farm," Jennie Brumbaugh; reading, Howard Thompson; recitation, "Wreck of the Hesperus," Carrie Eichholtz; recitation, "The Gambler's Wife," Birdie Brumbaugh; reading, "Hezekiah Bedott," Howard Ake; declamation, Percy Arnold; dialogue, "Goddess of Liberty;" solo, Lizzie Maize; exercise, "Charcoal;" "The Sentiment Roll." Of the above exercises "Charcoal" is an elocutionary exercise which was well executed, indeed, and gave us pleasure to know this noble branch of education was as well handled. At the earnest and repeated invitations of many of the scholars and teacher we felt we could not refuse. We are glad we were among the number present, feeling well repaid and thank the scholars and teacher for their kind invitation. The music, reading, declamations and dialogues were par excellent. Too much praise cannot be bestowed on the teacher and scholars for the pains taken to get up the above entertainment. The room was chock full with a delighted audience. Every one of them enjoyed themselves hugely.




An infant son of Blair and Maggie Cherry died on Tuesday morning, aged 1 month and 4 days.


The cheery, good-natured gentleman who inquired at one of our stores for consecrated oleaginous extract of bovine fluid, should have had it.


Mr. John Myers had the misfortune on Wednesday morning last to fall backward off the tender of his engine and get badly shaken up, but is able to be up and will soon try it again.


Ex-Constable Watters and his wife met with a misfortune, in which, we learn, they were not seriously damaged; the horse, however, got away and wrecked a part of the buggy.


Chief engineer of the Bell's Gap railroad, Mr. Faries, informs us that he has resigned his position. Consequently our notice of his removal to Punxsutawney may prove a little previous.


The Knights of Labor report over 300 tickets already sold for the supper to be held by them for the benefit of their treasury in the hall on Friday and Saturday evenings next.


The Friendship boys are preparing a programme for a public entertainment they propose giving our citizens shortly. Their reading room resounds almost nightly with the re-echoing eloquence of rehearsals. It is to be hoped the boys will he generously patronized when they announce their evening, as the funds are to be devoted to procuring a library for the benefit of young men.




David Park, while chopping logs, fell and fractured a rib.


The busy bee is again on the wing, hunting sweet treasure, "and don't you forget it," will sting.


A disease resembling distemper is going the rounds and horses that were sleek-looking some time ago looks rather shabby now.


They had a little muss in the household of David Musselman, and now he is quite saucy over his little girl baby. Here is our [pointer wingding] , Davy.


After a lapse of twelve years, the household of our old friend and neighbor, P. W. Bridenbaugh, has been again blessed with a bouncing girl baby.


The demand for walnut lumber is booming. Men have been through our valley buying op all the walnut they could get, paying right smart prices for the same.


From another Correspondent.


The sick folks of our valley are slowly improving.


Some of our young men have been seized with the western fever and have taken their budget and gone thither.


There is a very bad place in the road leading from Sinking Valley to the railroad at Patrick Carey's. It is where E. C. Kinch's road comes into the public road, and is caused by the water course being filled up by some logs which were thrown in to make a bridge, causing the water to run over the road, It is in Snyder township, and the supervisor of the township should have this nuisance removed.


On Friday of this week Mr. John Schirm will sell at public sale all his stock farming implements, etc., and will then move to Tyrone. On Saturday John McCauley will sell at public sale all his stock, farming implements, grain, etc., and will move to Altoona and on Thursday, the 24th, Mr. Jordan Crawford will do likewise and retire from work but will remain in the valley.


On last Wednesday evening as Mr. S. E. Stewart, wife and sister were returning home from Canoe Valley, and when about a mile below Arch Spring, a piece of wood which was on the road caught in the wheel of the carriage, upsetting it and frightening the horses, which ran off Mrs. and Miss Stewart were thrown out, the former receiving a severe hurt on the shoulder, the latter escaping unhurt. Mr. Stewart was dragged a considerable distance, having been held by the top of the carriage but was not much hurt. The horses ran up to Mr. John Tussey's, where they were caught. The carriage was considerably broken. They were fortunate in getting off as well as they did. - C.




Mr. and Mrs. F. R. Wood spent Saturday night and Sunday with friends at Hollidaysburg.


Miss Kate Bloom, a very pleasant young lady, of Philipsburg, accompanied by Rev. Mrs. Schaeffer, of Martinsburg, spent a few days of last week visiting friends here.


We are glad to welcome home Mrs. Derno who had pleasantly spent several weeks with relatives and friends in Mifflin, Clearfield and Centre counties, and her worthy daughter, Miss Gretta, who, during the past year was learning dress making at Philipsburg. She is always delighted with orders for wedding costumes. Give her a call.


We are always pleased to have our friends of your city stop to see us when they happen up this way, and consequently were glad to receive a call from Messrs. A. T. Heintzelman, the gentlemanly and obliging freight agent at Altoona, and his trusted cashier, W. P. Spielman, on Tuesday last. Mr. Spielman will, on the 31st inst., succeed your correspondent as station agent at this place. We have been acquainted with him for several years and therefore take pleasure in recommending him and his family to the favorable consideration of our citizens.


Last week, in company with a number of our agreeable ladies, we had the pleasure of spending an hour in the Mines school, taught by Miss Emma Derno, and were very much pleased with her discipline and the manner in which she has her pupils drilled in the various exercises of the school. Mr. Williams, our teacher here, is also getting along nicely and the evidence of the progress his pupils are making is very encouraging. Theirs is a work nobly done.


The sad and rather unexpected death of Mrs. Rachel Brooks, the esteemed wife of Mr. J. D. Brooks, of this place, has cast a gloom of sadness over our entire community, and has called forth the most heartfelt sympathy for Mr. Brooks and his seven small children, the youngest being but one week old. About five months ago, while milking a cow, Mrs. Brooks was trampled under the feet of the animal in its endeavor to get out of the way of some of the other cows and severely injured. Her injuries being internal and she in a delicate condition at the time, she never fully recovered from them, and after the birth of her child, on the 8th inst., which is still alive and doing well, she became very ill and, notwithstanding the careful treatment she received from her physician, Dr. Stayer, and the tender care of friends, she died of peritonitis on last Sunday night. She was married to Mr. Brooks about fifteen years ago, her maiden name being Fickes. Besides her husband and seven children, her mother, two brothers, Mr. Sol. Fickes, of Claysburg, and D. F. Fickes, of this place, and six sisters, Mrs. Thomas McAuliffe, Mrs. Michael Campbell, Mrs. J. D. Bacon and Mrs. S. K. Barley, of this place; Mrs. Sol. Barley, of your city, and Miss Mary Fickes, of Philadelphia, survive her. She was an esteemed member of the Reformed church, of Martinsburg, where her funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Rupley, assisted by Rev. Long, this (Tuesday) afternoon, and her remains interred in the cemetery at that place. She was born at Johnstown, October 24, 1848, and died on the 13th inst., being 38 years, 4 months and 19 days old at the time of her death. She was highly esteemed by her neighbors and friends. May she rest in peace.


School Report.


Report of Canoe Creek school for the month ending Wednesday, March 2d. Whole number enrolled 48. Average attendance, males 18, females 20, total 38. Per cent., males 81, females 86, total 83. Maggie Burger, Maggie Henry, Lynda Burger, Anna Walls, Mary Walls, Minnie Walls, Effie Neal, John Isenburg, Earl McKenzie, Willie Walls and Samuel Walls were present every day. Those who missed no words in spelling during the month were Emma Burger, Clara Clapper, Grace Estep, Lynda Burger, Ida Casper, Effie Neal, Maud Estep, Oliver Clapper, Roy Estep, John Isenburg and Lewis Burger. Number of visitors 22. - LUCRETIA J. MOORE, Teacher.


School Report.


Report of the Millville primary school for the month ending March 9, 1887: Whole number in attendance during the month, 76. Names of those who attended every day during the month: Bessie Caswell, Gertie Walters, Emma Burkhart, Lily Fissel, Elmer Horner, James Gray, Godfrey Stuerer, Harry Fishel, Albert Rhodes, Charles Caswell, Charles Horner, Arthur Harrison, Charles Ayres, Lee Davis, Harry Grubb, Willie Leibig, Willie Horner, George Hite, Priscilla Wilt, Lily Ayres, Mertie Walters.




Now it is I. G. Thompson, esq., constable of Newry borough, he having obtained his authority on Monday.


Mr. S. T. Knox is spending this week in Hollidaysburg, the effects of his name having been placed in the jury wheel.


Mrs. Fink, widow of the late Samuel Fink, together with her two daughters, Nettie and Mertie, have taken up their residence in this place.


Miss Minnie Holland was visible on our pavements on last Sunday the first time since her severe attack of scarlet fever some weeks since.


Our efficient borough auditors have wound up the accounts of the borough for 1886 and find a balance due the borough of $37.70, which is a very satisfactory showing.


There was quite a large number of persons from Altoona, mostly young men, in attendance at the funeral of the young man Rhodes whose death was noted in last Saturday's TRIBUNE.


John Campbell is one of the few who will be benefited financially by the passage of the Mexican pension bill, he having been a member of company I, Second Pennsylvania infantry, during the greaser difficulty.


Mrs. Shaw, wife of Samuel Shaw, sr., who had been very poorly and not expected to live for several days, is, we understand, much improved and possibly she may be restored to her usual health, which is the prayer of her many friends.


John McCoy, sr., lost a valuable horse on last Thursday, he having dropped while being driven in the team between Hollidaysburg and Duncansville. This makes two horses the family have lost in two weeks, his son David having lost one just the week before.


On next Thursday one of our townsmen, Mr. Henry Shirley, will celebrate his 90th birthday, which is certainly a very old age. It was our pleasure to spend an hour with him a few evenings since and a very interesting one it was, as his mind is as bright almost as ever, and he can give as good a history of the country for miles around I might say from Huntingdon to Bedford as a person would wish to hear. In his youthful days it was almost a total wilderness and now he is deprived of seeing the many changes, his eyes having failed several years ago; otherwise he has very good health for a man of his extreme age.




The James Gartland farm will be offered for sale on next Saturday.


The planing mill is almost completed and will be started this week.


Miss Maggie L. Wilson has accepted the position of clerk in the blank book company's manufactory.


Mrs. Jesse D. Brooks, of Ore Hill, died on Sunday night and was interred in the cemetery at Martinsburg.


Miss Amanda Eckard was married to Mr. William Butler, at McKee, by A. Shiffler, esq., on the 12th inst.


D. B. Carpenter is erecting a house on his lot in Kegarise's addition and expects to occupy it shortly after April 1.


S. F. Gates removed from Lower Maria Mills to Waterside, Bedford county, and will be succeeded by W. G. Hoover.


Mrs. G. W. Cross, of Tarrytown, N. Y., is spending a few weeks at this place with her husband, superintendent of the blank book factory.


Prof. J. H. Mohr resigned his position in the school here and accepted a position as clerk of a lumber company in Virginia, near Fredericksburg. Prof. Mohr is a successful teacher.


There is some intimation that the Rodman furnace property will be leased to a reliable firm who will immediately put the furnace in operation, which will add to the business of Roaring Spring.


S. F. Cooper, esq., moved to Alexandria, Huntingdon county, again, to take charge of his grist mill, the Hartslog Valley mill. We are sorry to part with him, but know he will soon again become a citizen here.


J. W. Blake, is trying to get up a sufficient number of persons to attend the Talmage lecture in the opera house, in Altoona, March 31st, in order to get a special train from this place. Every person should avail themselves of the opportunity.


Some vicious boys or young men who do not have the fear of the law before them have been tearing down fences and pulling palings off of some of the fences in our town, especially those of old Mr. Wildeson. This is a shameful, malicious business, and has a heavy penalty attached to it, fifty dollars fine and six months imprisonment. This business must be stopped, as some of the parties are known and will be dealt with according to law.


S. S. Brumbaugh, steward of the Bedford county almshouse, was here on Thursday for a short time on business pertaining to his office. Mr. Brumbaugh has been steward of the Bedford county almshouse during the last seven years and has filled the office very acceptably. He retires from the position next April. Mr. Brumbaugh is an ardent democrat and the board of poor directors are all republicans now. Mr. Brumbaugh was retained last year with a republican board.


Rev. J. A. J. Williams was unfortunate enough to lose or mislay forty dollars - one twenty dollar note, one ten dollar note and two five dollar, or it might be two tens. He believes he lost it on the passenger train on his way from Duncansville to this place on Thursday morning. The finder will be rewarded by returning it to the owner or D. S. Brumbaugh. Rev. Williams has been assisting Rev. Hicks at Duncansville in the revival services there during the absence of Rev. Hicks at conference.




W. M. Bloom is lying at the home of Dr. F. G. Bloom in a critical condition.


W. M. Bloom and wife, who left us a short time to visit and spend the summer with their children in Las Vegas, New Mexico, returned to home and friends Monday morning. The bad condition of Mr. Bloom's health necessitated their return. Their son Charley, who has been in New Mexico for some years, accompanied them home.


Tuesday, at the home of the bride's parents, at high noon, Miss Tillie Dutt was united in wedlock's holy bonds to C. L. Zimmerman, Rev. E. Dutt, father of the bride, officiating. The groom is one of our respected, industrious and honorable young business men. The bride is a very pleasant, agreeable and intelligent young lady, one that will adorn the home of her husband and make it a pleasant spot on earth for him. The best wishes of our people go with them.


Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pa., Thursday, March 17, 1887, page 4




Return to Top of Page


Blair County PAGenWeb : News


Copyright © 2018 Judy Rogers Banja (JRB) & contributors.  All rights reserved.