Blair County PAGenWeb


Blair County PAGenWeb





Blair County Newspaper Articles

News, obituaries, birth, marriage and death notices, by date.


Items from The Altoona Times, Altoona, Pa.,

Thursday, March 16, 1905


Disastrous Accident occurs On the Pittsburg Division Yesterday Morning
Four Men Are Severely Injured, and Chances of Recovery Are not Very Great


One of the most disastrous accidents occurring on the Pittsburg division of the Pennsylvania Railroad occurred just west of Boliver station at 11:32 yesterday morning, when the boiler in extra freight engine No. 2303, going west, was blown up. Two men were killed and nine others injured. The dead:


ENGINEER JOHN L. RIBBLET, of this city; killed instantly.


WASHINGTON WAMBAUGH, floating labor gang, aged 31 years, married, of Lockport.


The injured:


Fireman A. V. Kolierd, Coudersport, Pa.; badly scalded about body and face, may die.


Brakeman Theodore Bennett, 22 years old, of Altoona; scalded about face and body, will die.


Emanuel Hull, floating labor gang, aged 56 years, married, of New Florence; injured internally and severely scalded about the face and body, will die.


W. M. Hair, floating labor gang, aged 48 years, married, of Lacolle; burned about the face and body, will die.


Frank Gill, floating labor gang, aged 20 years, single, of New Florence; scalded about the head and body, will recover.


G. L. Hair, foreman of the floating labor gang, 30 years old, married, of New Florence; hip injured and scalded about the face, will recover.


George Hysong, floating labor gang, aged 34 years, married, of Lockport; foot slightly cut.


Andrew Robison, floating labor gang, aged 34 years, married, of Centerville; chest slightly injured.


Thomas S. Lenhart, floating labor gang, aged 25 years, married, of New Florence; slight contusion of the back.


Washington Wambaugh succumbed to his injuries last night at the Cambria hospital, Johnstown, Theodore Bennett, of this city, and Emanuel Hull and G. L. Hair, of New Florence, were in a precarious condition at 2 o'clock this morning, and were not expected to live the night out.


The engine was hauling a train of cars loaded with limestone, and after passing the station suddenly exploded. The huge steel cylinder - the boiler of the engine - with one mighty bound completely cleared the trucks on which it had been anchored, described a full circle in the air at a distance which some spectators say was fully 100 feet from the ground, leaped forward a full 100 feet more in direct line with No. 2 track, ploughed its nose into the rails, bounded again and finally turned over on its side to the right of the track.


A floating gang of laborers had been working on the tracks. The engine, after making its wild plunge in the air, coming down ploughed into the gang of workmen before any alarm could be given. Eight of the men were caught by the wrecked engine and were injured, several so badly that they will die.


Physicians from Pittsburg, Derry and Boliver were quick to arrive at the scene, and after a hasty examination of the injured, had nine of them removed to the Cambria hospital, in Johnstown. Fireman Kolierd was placed on the day express and brought to this city. He was taken to the hospital, where the physicians announced that he had been badly burned about both legs, thigh, arms, face and body. His condition last evening was serious, but not necessarily fatal. He has an even chance for life and death.


When the explosion came Engineer Ribblet was in the engine cab, and was blown 100 feet in the air, and his body went over a 50-foot embankment when he fell. His body was taken to Derry, where Undertaker William Nicholson prepared it for burial. His remains were brought to this city on Philadelphia express and turned over to Undertaker Stevens & Son.


Engineer Ribblet was born at Portage, June 4, 1866, and had been engaged at railroading since 1888, being a resident of Altoona since that time. He was married 14 years ago to Miss Annie M. Tierney, and is survived by his wife, two sons - Charles and Herbert; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Ribblet, of Portage, and the following brothers and sisters: J. Edwin, of Pitcairn; Jacob C., of Youngwood; Mrs. Mary Corle. of Portage: Mrs. Annie Berkebile, of South Fork; Mrs. Ida Lantz, of Pitcairn; Mrs. Hannah Meek and Mrs. Teresa Cullen. He was a member of the Pennsylvania Railroad Relief association.


The accident is the third within about thirteen months to occur on the Pennsylvania Railroad main line within a comparatively short distance. The first of the three was on the 22d of February, last year, when four men lost their lives near the Ehrenfeld station by the explosion of a locomotive boiler there on the track. Those killed on that occasion were: Engineer Harry Tyson, Conductor John Gontz, Fireman Geo. Remerick and Trackwalker George Brickner.


On June 30 of last year occurred the second accident, within 50 yards of the place of the first one. The boiler of a pusher exploded and killed three men, injuring two others. The dead on that occasion were: Engineer J. B. Wissinger, Fireman Daniel Crouch and Flagman Charles Ross. The dead and injured all belonged in Conemaugh.


A fourth fatal explosion, within the limits above specified, occurred on the Sewickley branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, Westmoreland county.


Seventh Avenue and Fairview Cars Run Together Last Night


A serious accident was narrowly averted shortly after 10 last evening at Twelfth avenue and Twelfth street by the collision of a Seventh avenue and a Fairview trolley cars.


Seventh avenue car 4 was coming down the Twelfth avenue hill and just as it approached the corner of Twelfth street, Fairview car No. 20 rounded the corner directly in front of the Seventh avenue car. The Seventh avenue car sideswiped the other car, smashing the fender and a number of windows and causing it to jump the track.


The motorman of the Fairview car reversed the power on his car as soon as the accident occurred, but the momentum it had already obtained carried it across the pavement and stopped just before crashing into a telegraph pole. Luckily there were no persons on the Fairview car. No one was injured.


Altoona Times, Altoona, Pa., Thursday, March 16, 1905, page 1


Will Serve at Special Common Pleas Court, Beginning April 1.


The following Traverse jurors were drawn last evening, to serve at special Common Pleas court, to be held the week beginning April 24, 1905:


Altoona - J. P. Craine, Grant Warfel, Andrew Ouer, Joseph Teufel, G. W. Renner, W. W. Yon, S. S. Irwin, W. J. Major, Isaac Harpster, C. E. Giles, J. D. Bloomhart, A. S. Ritz, E. R. Durst, Ira A. Crum, J. C. Kamerly, John Miller, D. A. Young, H. W. Stouffer, T. W. Sickles, Ralph Arney, William Ashburn, Harry Folk, John R. Flanagan, W. H. Blake, Robert Bankert, Charles McAleer, William Kennedy, Herbert Acker, Joseph Lantz.
Antis - T. S. Moyer, A. F. Irvin, John Craine.
Bellwood - J. C. Oswald, Harry Cornmesser, C. L. Bush, J. G. Moore.
Blair - S. R. Rohrabacher.
Catherine - James Downey.
Duncansville - G. W. Holland.
Hollidaysburg - William Hart, H. A. Miller.
Huston - B. F. Hoover.
Juanita [sic] Township - T. J. Moyer.
Frankstown - Warren McKendree, Charles Eicholtz, Jacob B. Wertz.
Juanita [sic] Borough - William Koofer.
Logan - R. D. Elder, S. H. Rice, Christ Bentz.
Martinsburg - C. M. Brumbaugh.
North Woodbury - Irwin Zook.
Roaring Spring - Harry Quarry, Plume Dick.
Snyder - Thomas Balling, J. R. Stewart.
Tyrone Borough - W. C. Grazier, A. W. Flenner.
Tyrone Township - O. C. Fleck, Thomas M. Fleck.




Mr. Henry Rosenthal is in Pittsburg on business.


John F. Haley and wife, of 314 Walnut avenue, are in Harrisburg today, attending the funeral of James McCarthy.


Mr. George McIlvain, manager of the Standard Supply and Equipment company, of Pittsburg, was in the city yesterday.


Miss Anna Finnagan, of South Fork, a guest at the home of her brother, Conductor P. J. Finnigan, of 2101 Eighth avenue.


Mr. Rupert Wagner has resigned his position at the Germania Brewery and has accepted a more remunerative position in the upper roundhouse.


Mrs. H. A. Stephens and daughters are visiting in Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia. Mr. Stephens will leave today to join his family.


Messrs. Chester Smith, of 2011 Fifth avenue, and Guy Kuntz, of 2009 Second avenue, have gone to Pittsburg, where they have secured positions as machinists in the Westinghouse.


Two drunks were arrested yesterday.


David Dinsmore, arrested for drunkenness and disorderly conduct, was fined $15 or serve 15 days in jail by Committing Magistrate S. S. B. Ramey.


Norville Swoope was arrested at 12.03 this morning at Eighth avenue and Ninth street by Patrolmen Hall and Reinelli as a suspicious character.


John O'Neil and Bert Baker were arraigned before Committing Magistrate S. S. B. Ramey yesterday afternoon for drunkenness and violating ordinance 1500, relative to vagrants. O'Neil was discharged and Baker was fined $15 and costs or serve 15 days in jail.


Altoona Times, Altoona, Pa., Thursday, March 16, 1905, page 3


According to the New Arrangement, Aged Railroaders Will Get Double Sum Now Granted.


By a new scheme that has been formed by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and which has been approved by General Manager W. W. Atterbury and other high officials of the road, the employes that are placed on the pension list of the company will receive probably double the amount they are now paid.


The plan that the men have successfully worked out is that each employe in the service of the company on the main line between Philadelphia and Pittsburg pay one day's wages once a year into the Pennsylvania Railroad relief fund. By this means the amount collected by that department in one 1 year would aggregate about $300,000, from which it is proposed to give the pensioned men additional money, when they would be able to live comfortably the remainder of their lives.


Some time ago this plan was devised by the engineers on the Pittsburg division, and every person to whom the subject was broached conceded that the object was an excellent one. A committee was appointed to call on General Manager Atterbury, and, this was recently done. After thoroughly looking over the situation, the general manager, as well as a number of other officers, thought the plan a good one. Since that time the matter has been placed before the men on the three divisions and it has so far made a very favorable impression.


An employe who has worked faithfully for the company, on reaching the age of 65 years may be pensioned at his own request, but when he reaches the age of 70 years his resignation is made compulsory. At the present time these men receive 20 per cent. of their monthly wages, based on an average of the past 10 years of work. The men claim that when they attain the age limit they wish to retire from active life, but cannot do so, owing to the small pension they receive.




A pleasant surprise party was given Tuesday afternoon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Young, 105 First avenue, in honor of their daughter, Miss Pearl Young, it being her 8th birthday.


The La Peze Social club will meet in their rooms tomorrow evening, at which time eight new members will be installed, after which a Persian tea and social will be had, it being strictly a membership meeting.


A very enjoyable surprise party was held at the home of Mr. George Gearheart, Jr., at Foot of Ten, to celebrate his 21st birthday. The evening was spent in various games, while vocal and instrumental music was rendered. About midnight a dainty luncheon was served, of which all partook.


A number of young ladies, members of the Fortnightly Sewing club, very pleasantly surprised Miss Florence Hamilton, one of its members, on Tuesday evening, at her home, 1212 Fourteenth avenue. The evening was very enjoyably spent by all. At a later hour, the gentlemen arriving, work was laid aside and a delicious lunch was served. Music and dancing were features of the evening's enjoyment.


An enjoyable surprise party invaded the home of Henry Musselman, of Pleasant Hill, Friday evening, to celebrate his 64th birthday. The evening was spent in various amusements, music being the principal feature. Miss Lizzie Long rendered several selections on the organ, and Mr. Wills, a local violinist, rendered a few pieces. At a late hour the party was treated to a bounteous supper.


A very enjoyable surprise party was given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Crider, Pinecroft, Saturday, March 11, it being Mrs. Krider's 44th birthday anniversary. A number of friends were present from Altoona and Bellwood. Mrs. Crider received many beautiful and costly presents. At 12 o'clock a dainty lunch was served, after which the guests returned to their homes, wishing Mrs. Crider many more happy events.


A surprise party was given in honor of Mrs. Henry Barr, on her 64th birthday. There was a large number of relatives and friends present, who partook of a sumptuous dinner, to which all did ample justice. After dinner they were invited to the parlor, where music was furnished by Rev. R. S. Taylor and Miss Jennie Barr. Miss Barr received many useful presents, among them being a handsome reclining- chair presented by her daughters.


The fourth anniversary of Altoona council No. 180, United Commercial Travelers' association, will be celebrated Saturday evening in the rooms in the Schenck block, Eleventh avenue and Fourteenth street. All commercial travelers in the city at the time are cordially invited to attend the affair. Rev. H. L. Bowlby, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, will deliver an address, and at its conclusion there will be a smoker and euchre, interspersed with a musical program.


The local camps of the Patriotic Order Sons of America have arranged with Past National President Clarence F. Huth to deliver one of his inimitable addresses in the First United Brethren church, this city, on Wednesday evening, March 29. His theme will probably be "Ultimate America." This lecture will be absolutely free to all comers, and all who attend will be pleased with the substance and method of his lecture, Mr. Huth being a speaker of ability, power and eloquence. In addition to the lecture, there will be musical and other features.


The euchre to be given in the parlors of the Logan House tonight by the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Altoona Hospital promises to be one of the leading social events of the season. The ladies have already disposed of a large number of tickets for the event, the worthy cause for which it is being held bringing it spontaneous and liberal support from the citizens. The proceeds will be devoted to the betterment of the Altoona hospital, in carrying out the improvements that have been planned by the auxiliary. Eight beautiful prizes, now on exhibition in Gable & Co.'s windows, have been provided for the most proficient euchre players.


Mr. L. M. Berkey was agreeably surprised at his home, 204 Lexington avenue, Monday evening by the members of the choir of the Fourth Lutheran church, of which he is a member. The occasion was his birthday, and the celebration was so quietly arranged that Mr. Berkey was unaware of what was in store for him. The members of the choir met at the church and went to his home in a body. While he was being detained on the front porch the young people slipped quietly in the rear door and when Mr. Berkey re-entered the house his surprise was complete. Realizing that he was the victim of a surprise, he with his wife, began the part of entertaining the choir. There was plenty of music enlivening the hours of the evening. Professor Williams, with the violin and Mr. H. C. Aurandt at the piano rendered a number of selections. Miss Edna Zinn entertained the guests pleasantly with piano selections and they choir joined their voices and made the evening pleasant with music. There were many games played and the evening was a most enjoyable one. Mrs. Berkey served a dainty lunch.




Mrs. Annie Margaret Everhardt, wife of Peter Everhardt, died suddenly last night at 11 o'clock, at her home, 912 Fifth avenue, of apoplexy, aged nearly 80 years. The aged lady retired for the night at 9 o'clock, apparently in the best of health. Two hours later members of the family heard a noise in her sleeping apartments, upon investigating which they discovered the woman dead. The deceased was born in Leimbach, Saxony, Germany, June 6, 1825, and would have been 80 years of age had she lived until next June. She came to this county, with her parents, in 1846, the family settling in Hollidaysburg, later moving to Frankstown. On November 18, 1852, she was married to Mr. Everhardt, and the following year the couple came to Altoona, where they resided ever since. To her union with Mr. Everhardt were born five children, as follows: William, Harry and Louisa Everhardt, and Mrs. N. H. Dwyer, of Altoona, and George L. Everhardt, of Pittsburg. One brother, John W. Smith, of this city, also survives, as do also three grandchildren. The deceased was a member of the First Lutheran church, a devout christian lady and universally loved and esteemed by all her neighbors. She was of a kindly and charitable disposition, ever ready to render aid to those who were in need of it. The funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.


Common Branch Passed One Measure Finally and Advance a Large Number of others.


At the special meeting of common council held last evening one ordinance passed third and final reading, and a large number of others passed first and second reading.


The following members responded to roll call: Messrs. Andrews, Blair, Cassidy, Delozier, Hare, Ickes, Kuebler, Kabella, Michaels, McCullough, Seasoltz and President Walker.


The following business came up before the body: Ordinance No. 1537, authorizing the transfer of the sum of one thousand dollars from department of highways and sewers to department of police and city property appropriations for 1904-05, was passed finally with all the councilmen present voting for it.


Ordinances passed on second reading:


Ordinance No. 1548, authorizing and providing for the construction of a vitrified clay pipe sewer in Fourth avenue, between Twenty-fifth street and Fourth district sewer.


Ordinance No. 1547, amending section two of ordinance 866, entitled, "A ordinance creating a department of police and city property, declaring the number, fixing the salaries, defining the powers, prescribing the duties and regulating the conduct of the members thereof," by increasing the number of patrolmen.


Ordinance No. 1545, authorizing the mayor of the city of Altoona in behalf of the city to enter into an agreement with the Pennsylvania Railroad company whereby the said company will grant the said city the privilege to occupy a tract of land at the Twenty-fourth street bridge.


Ordinance No. 1521, authorizing and directing the placings of twenty electric arc lamps in the several wards, and indicating the location of the same, came up for second reading and upon motion of Mr. Kabella was amended changing the location of a lamp from the intersection of Fifth avenue and Fifth street to Seventh avenue and Fifth street. It was thereupon referred back to printing.


Ordinances passed first reading:


Ordinance No. 1544, authorizing and providing for the construction of a system of vitrified clay pipe sewer in the recently annexed portion of the Ninth ward.


Ordinance No. 1536, fixing the amount of the bond of the city treasurer, passed second reading with the amendment that the city treasurer be directed to make a monthly report to councils, showing the amount and place of depository of city's money.


Ordinance No. 1552, providing for the collection of municipal claims, and for a report of the same by the city solicitor,


Ordinance No. 1554, to make an appropriation for the different departments of the city.


No. 1555, fixing the millage for the levying of the taxes for the upcoming year.


No further business being before the body it adjourned until Friday night.




Ward - Thompson.


Mr. Amos Steele Ward, of this city, and Miss Grace Clark Thompson, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John R. Thompson, of Birmingham, were united in marriage at 7 o'clock last evening, at the residence of the bride's brother-in-law, Mr. W. M. C. Craine, 408 Howard avenue. The ceremony was performed in the spacious parlors of the home, which were elaborately decorated in honor of the occasion, the bridal party entering to the strains of Lohengrin's wedding march, rendered by Master Robert Craine, a nephew of the bride. The bride was becomingly attired in white organdie and scotia and carried bride's roses. Under a canopy of greens and cut flowers the happy couple were made man and wife by the Rev. George Murray Klepfer [sic], pastor of the Eighth Avenue Methodist church, and received the congratulations of 200 admiring friends and relatives. Guests were present from Bellwood, Birmingham, Martinsburg, New York city, Williamsburg, State College and this city. After the ceremony an elaborate wedding supper was served, and Mr. and Mrs. Ward left on the 9:05 train for an extended wedding tour to Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Baltimore and Washington. They will reside in this city, the groom holding a responsible position in Shop Clerk F. A. Bell's office.




Miss Maggie Sissel and Mr. Charles Westley were united in marriage at 8 last evening in the parsonage of the Grace Reformed church, by the Rev. J. D. Hicks. The couple was attended by Miss Bessie Sissel and Mr. Michael Humm. A wedding supper was served after the ceremony at the future home of the couple, 2624 West Chestnut avenue. Mr. Westley is a popular young man and is employed as a hoseman at No. 3 fire station. His bride is an estimable young lady and has many friends in the city. Mr. and Mrs. Westley will reside at 2624 West Chestnut avenue.




Mr. E. T. McGowan and Miss S. A. Baker, both of this city, were united in marriage in Baltimore, Sunday, March 5, by the Rev. Father Storm, of the Corpus Christi church. Mr. McGowan and Miss Baker are partners in the City Hand Laundry and both young people are well known and popular in the city. Mr. and Mrs. McGowan will reside in the city.




Mr. Clair Ross, of Juniata, and Miss Bessie Ammerman, of Altoona, were married on Monday evening at 8 o'clock. The groom is employed in the Juniata boiler shops. The bride is esteemed highly by all who know her. Their many friends wish them all success in life. The young couple will go to housekeeping at once in Juniata.


Costs in case of Principal Jacobs Were Divided Equally Between Plaintiff and Defendant.


A. M. Jacobs, principal of the Juniata schools, and his assistant, H. A. Brumbaugh, who were on trial charged with excessive cruelty in whipping Walter Redding, 11 years old, the complaint being brought by Mrs. Mary Redding, the boy's mother, were acquitted by the jury yesterday morning. The costs were equally divided in the case of the plaintiff and Jacobs in the one case, and in the charge against Brumbaugh the county is mulcted for the costs.


Perry Brannon, a Frankstown township young man, who visited Altoona some time ago and after loading up with rum, became involved in an altercation with a negro in a hotel in that city and indulged in a little gun play, which fortunately for him proved harmless, pleaded guilty to the charge of willfully shooting at a person and was sentenced to pay the costs. On account of previous good behavior and promised reformation, further sentence was suspended.


Henry Schum pleaded guilty to assault and battery on his wife. Sentenced to pay the costs and enter his own recognizance in the sum of $200 to keep the peace.


Mrs. William Burtnett pleaded guilty to the charge of assault and battery at the school house in Blair township. Sentenced to pay the costs.


Ed. E. Stains was on trial charged with the crime of arson. It is alleged that he set fire to an unoccupied plank house at Eldorado, owned by Scott Stains, on the evening of April 12, 1905, the prosecutor being his brother-in-law, W. F. Swoveland.


Joseph Peck and two of his sons, all of whom reside at Eldorado, testified that they saw Ed. Stains near the house about dusk on the evening of the fire.


Grace Stains, niece of the defendant, testified that she was at the house on the afternoon of the day of the fire. She came away about 3 p. m. and saw the defendant going in the direction of the house. A couple of days after the fire she met her uncle and he said: "I burned your house down." She replied: "Yes I know you did and my father will get even with you for it." She and her uncle are had friends. [bad?]


Swoveland, the prosecutor, testified that a few days before the fire Ed. Stains told him he would burn that house before he would leave Charley Stains move into it. In July he told me he had burned it down, and now let them prove it.


John F. Sullivan, esq., in opening the case for the defendant, stated that at the request of the owner of the house that was burned down, he went there that day to see that the windows were nailed shut and the doors were securely locked, so as to prevent Charley Stairs' family from moving into the house.


Ed. Stains testified that he saw Charley Stains' daughters going out to clean the house and he went there about 6 o'clock in the evening and walked around the house and found that it was securely locked. He arrived home about 7.30 and he and Scott Stains went to Kurtz's office to get out papers to prevent the Charley Stains family from moving into the house. Witness said that Grace Stains accused him of having burned the house, but he denied the charge. He also denied positively of ever having told Mr. Swoveland that he would burn the house down. He denied setting fire to the house.


Scott Stains testified that he directed his brother, Ed. to go out and nail the windows down, and not to leave Charley move in the house.


The defendant rested after calling a number of character witnesses among whom were Alderman S. S. B. Ramey, Charles Gearhart and Rev. E. J. Metzler.


The court after deliberating about an hour brought in a verdict of not guilty.


The case of commonwealth vs. Louis and Otto Plack was continued.


William Fisher, an Altoona young man was on trial charged with assault and battery and robbery on Anthony Michael, proprietor of a fruit stand and restaurant at No. 504 Sixth avenue.


It appears that on the morning of Jan. 12 at 1.30 o'clock Fisher accompanied by two other young men named Griffith and Fowler, went to the restaurant and became involved in an altercation with the proprietor who alleges that he endeavored to induce them to go out of his place. Fisher wanted oysters and ice cream for nothing. They all pounced on him and he ran back in the kitchen and got a club and drove them out of the place. Michaels says that he took the money out of the drawer and Fisher saw him tie a five dollar gold piece in his handkerchief. After the melee in the house he started to go home. Fisher met him at the alley and said what are you going to do about my $5 cady hat you broke.


Witness said you go away and don't bother me. Fisher then struck him on the nose with brass knuckles, knocked him down, and reached in his pocket and took the handkerchief and $5 dollar gold piece. The other fellows were ahead of us.


James McKee, cook at the restaurant corroborated the proprietor as to the men beating him.


Fisher said he went into the restaurant with Griffith and Fowler, and ordered oysters. Michaels said the fire was out and he could not give us oysters. He wanted us to go out, and finally he hit me over the head twice with a club, then I went out. I heard him cry murder and looked in the room and saw the other boy beating him. These boys have gone away and were not arrested. Witness admitted that he asked Michael about paying for his cady, but said he was only in fun. We were all standing on the corner smoking when Michael and McKee came along. He walked up with Michael to the alley. Michael gave me a push and then I knocked him down. Michael jumped up and had a knife and handkerchief in his hand. He said I'll kill you.


Dr. J. E. Smith stated that he was called to see Michaels some time in April. He was badly bruised on the face, both eyes black, cut across the nose, bones knocked down but not broken, injured about the body and bruised on the back of the head.


Officer Harlow said he went to see Michaels after this trouble, and Michaels said he did not know who had assaulted him. He had five dollars in the handkerchief, but he lost it.


The case was submitted to the jury at adjournment last evening.


A. V. Dively and J. F. Sullivan for defendant.


George Moore pleaded guilty to the larceny of an overcoat, and also to defrauding a boarding house keeper. In the first case he is sentenced to pay $5 fine and costs, and to serve three months in jail. In the second case sentence suspended on payment of costs.


Grand Jury Returns.


Commonwealth vs. Louis Plack and Otto Plack, keeping a disorderly house, keeping a house for gambling; prosecutor, Lee Conaway. A true bill.


Commonwealth vs. George Moore, violating boarding house act; prosecutrix, Annie Harrington. A true bill.


Commonwealth vs. Charles Saupp, assault and battery, aggravated assault and battery; prosecutor, George Potter. A true bill.


Commonwealth vs. Newton Hurley, assault and battery; not a true bill and prosecutor, Charles H. Able, to pay the costs.


Commonwealth vs. Eva Runyeaon, assault and battery, prosecutrix, Mary Shiffler. A true bill.


Motions and Petitions.


R. W. Smith, esq., presented the following bonds of the Allegheny water company to riparian owners who will be affected by the taking of the waters of Mill Run by condemnation proceedings: To Alphonzo A. Stone, $500; to John M. Campbell estate, $500; to Mrs. Julia Ann Deck, $50. The above bonds were approved. A number of other ones were presented but were excepted to as insufficient. The objections will be heard next Monday.


Charles Geesey, esq., was appointed master in the divorce case of Henry M. Walty vs. Maud M. Walty.


J. D. Hicks, esq., is appointed master in the divorce case of Roland K. Fleck vs. Dessie M. Fleck.


D. E. North, esq., is appointed master in the divorce case of Rose L. Douglass vs. James P. Douglass.


James W. Findley, committee of George Wilson, lunatic, is authorized to sell the interest of his ward in certain real estate to H. A. Davis, esq.


Thomas H. Greevy presented a petition to set aside the sheriff's sale of the property of Edward Kabella.


M. M. Morrow, esq., is appointed master in the divorce case of Mary M. Quarry vs. George T. Quarry.




LAIRD ROSS, an aged and respected citizen, at 1.05 o'clock yesterday morning at the home of his son-in-law, John M. Stonebraker, 807 Sixth avenue. Death was due to the infirmities of old age, Mr. Ross being almost 87 years old. For many years he resided at Maria Forge, near Roaring Spring, where he raised his family. Later he went to Bellwood, where he resided for twenty years, coming to Altoona about two years ago. While here he made his home with his son-in-law. Mr. Ross' wife died twenty-one years ago. He is survived by six children, as follows: Bigler, of Conemaugh; Edward, John and Thaddeus, of Bellwood; Mrs. Sarah Fagley, of Punxsutawney, and Mrs. Lida Albright, of Altoona. Mr. Ross was an iron worker and followed the occupation of a forgeman for many years. He was a veteran of the civil war, and a member of the Presbyterian church, of Bellwood. Services will be held at the home of his son-in-law at 10 Saturday morning. The body will be taken to Tyrone on Main line express, where interment will be made.


R. NEWTON SHAW, who formerly conducted the Continental Hotel in Philipsburg, of pleuro-pneumonia at 5 Sunday morning at his home in Clearfield. He was a native of Clearfield county and was 63 years old. He is survived by his father, Joseph Shaw, now nearly 89 years old, a sister, Miss Ella, at home, and one brother, Thadeus, who lives in Clearfield. For many years he conducted the Leonard House and the old Shaw House in Clearfield. He was a great horseman and had many friends in this city.


Death of An Infant.


Angelina, daughter of Mrs. Joseph Amorosa, died at 1.15 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the parents' residence, 1229 Ninth avenue, aged 18 months. Funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock. interment in St. John's cemetery.


Funeral Notices.


The funeral of the late Felix Wheeler Ickes will take place from the residence of his sister, Mrs. A. C. Hazard, 2221 Seventh avenue, tomorrow at 3 p. m. Funeral private.


The remains of Constable Miller will be taken to the home of his daughter, 1400 Seventh avenue, where funeral services will be conducted at 10 tomorrow morning. The interment will be made in Oak Ridge cemetery.


To My Friends and the Public.


I have this day sold my grocery store and business at 1208 Eleventh street to Burlingame & Co. I take the opportunity to thank my friends for their patronage during my several years in business, and hope the same pleasant relations that have existed between us will continue with the new firm. - J. D. FAY.


Altoona Times, Altoona, Pa., Thursday, March 16, 1905, page 8




Return to Top of Page


Blair County PAGenWeb : News


Copyright © 2018 Judy Rogers Banja (JRB) & contributors.  All rights reserved.