Beaver County, Pennsylvania Genealogy


Vanport Township

This is a small village in Borough township about two miles below the county-seat, on the north bank of the Ohio River. The village was laid out in 1835 by J. J. Noss. He is said to have built the first brick house in the place.

The post-office at Vanport has been held by the following persons: Thomas B. Boggs, January 16, 1882; Miller Flocker, February 1, 1882; Baker Reed, September 9, 1885; N. P. Kerr, April 27, 1889; Lizzie A. Murta, July 24, 1893; Emma L. Bevington, May 22, 1895; Anna McCullough, May 27, 1899.

The ferry across the Ohio River at this point was established in the beginning of the last century. In his Sketches of a Tour to the Western Country, F. Cuming thus alludes to it: "A ferry two miles below Beaver is a handsome situation, beyond which the banks are high on both sides, and the river does not exceed one hundred and fifty yards wide." He saw it in 1807.

An unsuccessful attempt was made to establish a Baptist church in this place. In 1858 G. T. Dinsmore visited Beaver and preached in the court-house. During the week he held meetings in a schoolhouse at Vanport and baptized five converts. Others soon followed, and a church was constituted. A frame building was erected, which was dedicated February 24, 1861, and services were held in it for some time with varying regularity and success, but the congregation were unable to hold the ground and the building was finally, in 1890, disposed of by sale to the Presbyterians, who in that year organized a church in Vanport. The movers in this enterprise were John Weaver, Hiram Noss, and James Porter, the latter of Bridgewater. Mr. Dinsmore remained but a brief time, and was succeeded by Rev. John Davis, who was the last pastor.

A similar effort on the part of members of the United Brethren body also failed. Among those who composed the short-lived congregation were William Neville, John Taylor, David Engle, John R. McKenzie, William McKenzie, E. White, Clark Rogers, and Joshua Larkins.

Dravo Chapel of the Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1869, the organization dating a few years earlier. The chapel cost $3000, and was dedicated November 21, 1869, Rev. Sylvester Burt preaching the sermon. The first trustees were George Dobbs, John Moore, A. Russell, Lucius Conrad, Samuel Johnston, Amos Doutt, and Enoch Fowler. The services of the congregation have been largely maintained by the generous aid of the Hon. John F. Dravo, for whom the chapel was named, and who as a local minister of the Methodist Church preached there regularly until 1900, and still does so occasionally.

The Presbyterian Church at Vanport.--In February and March of 1888 union meetings were held in the Dravo Chapel at Vanport. As a result of these services thirty-five members were added to the roll of the Presbyterian Church of Beaver, whose pastor, the Rev. John K. KcKallip, with officers and members of that church, had been active in the work. The session of the Beaver Church felt that they should provide stated religious ...[*]

[*]   The last paragraph ends on page 929. Pages 930 to 936 missing from the book.

Source: History of Beaver County, Pennsylvania: And Its Centennial Celebration, Volume 2
By Joseph Henderson Bausman   (1904)
Pages 928-929


Beaver County Historical Research & Landmarks Foundation
The Official Historical Society of Beaver County, Pennsylvania
Vanport Township

Vanport Township Home Page

Vanport Township
477 State Avenue
Vanport, PA 15009
Phone: 724-774-6420     Fax: 724-774-2646


Vanport Township,   Beaver County,   Pennsylvania


HOME


PAGenWeb   •   USGenWeb   •   USGenWeb Archives


Beaver County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials
and graphics contained in the Beaver County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.
You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-2015,  Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.