Beaver County, Pennsylvania Genealogy


Center Township

Although Center Township is new among the family of communities making up Beaver County, her traditions go back to the earliest period of Ohio Valley history. Prior to colonial explorers, native Indians traveled the "Glade Path", an important trail crossing the future township from north to south.

One family of settlers in Beaver Valley, the Bakers, made their home in 1774 in the hills above Raccoon Creek near what is now Pleasant Drive in Center Township. At that time, all lands south of the Ohio had been claimed by Virginia, with the seat of government at Pittsburgh.

During the course of the Revolutionary War, Fort McIntosh was constructed at Beaver to aid settlers in defense against the Indians and the British at Detroit. Supplies were brought from Pittsburgh along the old Indian path. The trace was renamed Brodhead's Road, after the commander of Fort McIntosh.

When Beaver County was formed in 1800, three townships were created on the south side of the Ohio River: Hanover, First Moon and Second Moon. Later (in 1812) the area was reorganized into four townships. One of these was Moon, the parent of Center. Over the years, other communities were formed from Moon: Raccoon Township in 1837, Phillipsburg Borough in 1840 (now Monaca), and Potter Township in 1912.

In 1914, a serious dispute among Moon Township residents split the township, separating the heavily populated suburban section in the north from the much larger sparsely populated region in the south and west. On November 24, 1914, after a second election, the court decreed that the larger southern section be known as Center Township. Eighteen years later, the remaining portion of Moon in the north was annexed by Monaca, becoming that borough's Fourth and Fifth Wards (Monaca Heights and Colona Heights). Today, Center Township can take her place among the larger and most progressive communities in Beaver County as new housing plans develop around the township.

Center Township is bordered to the northeast by the borough of Monaca, to the south by Hopewell Township and the city of Aliquippa, to the southwest by Potter Township, and to the west by Raccoon Township. To the north, across the Ohio River, is the borough of Beaver, and Conway is to the east across the river. Since Center Township does not have a mailing center, all its residents have either a Monaca or Aliquippa mailing address.

As of the 2010 census it had a population of 11,795.

Source:   Wikipedia about Center Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania.


Beaver County Historical Research & Landmarks Foundation
The Official Historical Society of Beaver County, Pennsylvania
Center Township


Center Township Home Page


Center Township Municipal Building
224 Center Grange Road
Aliquippa, PA 15001
Phone 724-774-0271     Fax 724-774-6055


Center Township Map


HOME


PAGenWeb   •   USGenWeb   •   USGenWeb Archives


Beaver County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials
and graphics contained in the Beaver County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.
You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-2015,  Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.