Four Mile Presbyterian Church
6078 Tuscarawas Road
Ohioville Borough, Beaver County, Pennsylvania 15009


Part II

Communion In The Early Church

When Communion was to be held, the pastor would call for a short recess during the worship service to prepare for the Communion Service. Elders of the church would get the board reserved for making a table for Communion and set it on two stands about table height. The board was about eighteen inches wide and eight to ten feet long. On either side of the table a bench was placed for people to sit upon. The Communion table cloth that was made by Mrs. Mary (Polly) McGaffick about 1815 was used as the cover.

We are told that when the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper was administered, a song was sung while members of the congregation came forward and took places around the table. Two cups and two pitchers dated 1888, which are still in the church, were used in this service. All drank from the common cup. After each had taken from the cup, an elder standing behind those seated at the table, would move the cup to the next partaker. After all those at the table had taken of the bread and wine, the congregation would sing again until they returned to their seats and others had come forward.

Several of the present members who joined the church in the 1920's remember taking Communion this way. The congregation numbered sixty-five in 1920.


Four Mile Church History Index

Beaver County Churches Index

Beaver County Home Page


PAGenWeb   •   USGenWeb   •   USGenWeb Archives


Beaver County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials
and graphics contained in the Beaver County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.
You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-2015,  Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.