Four Mile Presbyterian Church
6078 Tuscarawas Road
Ohioville Borough, Beaver County, Pennsylvania 15009


Part II

The Church History From The Year 1876 To 1991
Updated From The Church Files

Rev. Josiah Thompson continued at Four Mile into 1878 when he took another pastorate. The pulpit was vacant until June 1880 when Rev. J. A. Edie became the next pastor.

He remained with us until 1888 when he resigned to accept a call to another congregation. Following another vacancy of six years, the Reverend J. S. T. Milligan was installed here May 11, 1892 and served the congregation for five years. Sometime after this D. M. Davis came from seminary and was ordained and installed as Four Mile's next pastor. He served only a short time, leaving in June of 1902 to accept a call to a church in Coin, Iowa. While here, however, he married a member of our congregation, Mary Isabelle Watterson, and thus left a mark on the church that is still remembered by her relatives.

In 1903, J. Alvin Hazlett was ordained and installed, making him the fifth minister to be ordained here. He stayed until 1908, having served the congregation for approximately five years. During this time the congregation declined in membership, making it necessary to yoke with another congregation in order to share the cost of a minister's salary. They agreed to yoke with a congregation called Oakland on the other side of the Ohio River.

W. D. Garges was installed. He served the Four Mile and Oakland churches jointly for a time. But the Oakland church declined to the point where it was dissolved by the Presbytery and in July, 1916, Rev. Garges resigned his position here. He was succeeded by the Reverend Vincent D. Beckett who became our congregation's eleventh pastor and served from 1917-1921.

Following Rev. Hazlett's departure, five years passed before another pastor could be secured. On September 1, 1913, The Reverend The Four Mile congregation struggled along for the next six years, unable to afford the services of a pastor. During this period the pulpit was filled by four stated supply ministers. The Rev. Charles Leiper was our stated supply minister for four months, June through September of 1922. Rev, Harold D. Hammond of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Fairview, PA began as stated supply December 1, 1923, and continued into the early part of 1924, when the congregation was again without a minister's services. In July, 1924, Rev. Orland Richie became our stated supply until he accepted a call to the Seventh Church, Pittsburgh. In April 1925, Mr. Vincent Wright, a seminary student, met with our Session and was asked to take up work as stated supply. He began work in May and continued throughout that year.

On Sunday, June 6, 1926, the Session voted to have Mr. John C. Smith of Wurtemburg take up work at Four Mile as stated supply for the summer. They liked him so well that on March 22, 1928, a formal call was made for Mr. Smith to be presented at Presbytery which was to meet at New Galilee, PA, April 10, 1928. Our Presbytery and Mr. Smith concurred and he was ordained and installed as our next pastor on May 18, 1928, also agreeing to serve as the stated supply minister for the Fairview Reformed Presbyterian Church. He resigned in the fall of 1929 and was quickly succeeded by the Rev. J. Daryl Davis who was installed on May 23, 1930 as the pastor of the Four Mile U. P. and Fairview R. P. churches. He served less than a year. In April 1931, the Rev. A. G. Montgomery began work as the stated supply minister of Four Mile Church, Fairview R. P. Church and New Salem U. P. Church. He continued as the stated supply for our congregation through the spring of 1938.

In July 1939, a call was extended to the Rev. M. Vance Yarnelle, who had been serving as our stated supply minister since Rev. Montgomery's departure. Once again the Four Mile Church became a single charge and it has continued this way up to the present. Reverend Milton M. Boos became our next pastor in the fall of 1942 and he served for two years.

A call was then extended to the Reverend Ray A. McCreight. He began his ministry with the Four Mile congregation on September 29, 1945 and was duly installed as our church's seventeenth pastor on November 8, 1945. He served the congregation well for more than forty years until his retirement in December, 1985. During his ministry many changes took place. The population of Brighton Township and surrounding areas began to grow and as a result of this and Rev. McCreight's efforts, the church's membership began growing quickly. Through his leadership a new addition was. built to accomodate the needs of this growing congregation. In April 1956, the Educational wing was completed and dedicated. In 1967, another addition was built to provide office space, a fellowship hall and more Sunday School classrooms. Then in April of 1985, the most recent phase of improvement to our facilities was finished. The former sanctuary was demolished and a new sanctuary and social hall were constructed to serve the needs of a 600 member congregation. During his forty year ministry (the longest in the history of our congregation) the congregation grew from 146 members in 1945 to 577 members in 1985. It is worthy to note that his alma mater, Tarkio College, conferred on him an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in April of 1963. Following his retirement, in deep appreciation for his loving leadership, the congregation voted to confer upon him the honorary title, Pastor Emeritus. He continued to keep busy even in retirement by serving as the stated supply of three churches for an additonal five years.

Rev. Joseph A. Hill served as an Interim Pastor from January through December of 1986. His task was to prepare the congregation to welcome and accept a new pastor as well as guiding and overseeing the activities of a thriving church.

In the fall of that year, the congregation voted to extend a call to the Reverend Jeffrey B. Fulford. He accepted the call and began his ministry to this congregation on January 1, 1987. Rev. Fulford accepted a call to another church in June, 1990.

Four Mile was served by three Stated Supply Ministers until March, 1991, when Rev. Joseph A. Hill became the Stated Supply Pastor.


Four Mile Church History Index

Beaver County Churches Index

Beaver County Home Page


PAGenWeb   •   USGenWeb   •   USGenWeb Archives


Beaver County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials
and graphics contained in the Beaver County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.
You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-2015,  Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.