Four Mile Presbyterian Church
6078 Tuscarawas Road
Ohioville Borough, Beaver County, Pennsylvania 15009


Part II

The Associate Presbyterian Church of 1812 To The Presbyterian Church, USA, 1990

The Four Mile Church was organized the first Sabbath of July 1812, on a tract of ground known as the "Four Mile Square," which was the second section of land measured off west of the Beaver River by an act of legislature for the purpose of redeeming or enhancing the value of the depreciated certificates of the soldiers of the Revolution.

At the time of organization, Four Mile became a member of the Associate Presbyterian Church of the Presbytery of Ohio.

On May 26, 1858, the United Presbyterian Church of North America was organized with the union of the Associate Presbyterian Church and the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.

One hundred years later, the United Presbyterian Church of North America had grown from a membership of 54,798 to 331,000. Similarly, the Presbyterian Church, USA, had increased to an enrollment of 2,809,600, believed to be the fourth largest denomination in the United States.

One century after the United Presbyterian Church of North America was established, the United Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church, USA, joined together to form the United Presbyterian Church of the United States of America. The union resulted in a membership of 3,240,000.

This union, however, lacked one denomination to make it complete. In 1983, the two largest Presbyterian denominations joined together with the reunion of the Southern Church and the United Presbyterian, USA, to form the Presbyterian Church, USA. As Presbyterians of Four Mile, we are members of this denomination and, theologically, members of the Reformed Family of Faith, followers of John Calvin, one of the great leaders of the Reformation after Martin Luther.


Four Mile Church History Index

Beaver County Churches Index

Beaver County Home Page


PAGenWeb   •   USGenWeb   •   USGenWeb Archives


Beaver County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials
and graphics contained in the Beaver County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.
You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-2015,  Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.