Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

USGenWeb® Project

(Family History and Genealogy)

PAGenWeb > Allegheny > Townships

 

Wall Borough

 

 

The first settlers arrived in Wall, PA in the 1760s, finding the area rich with natural resources. The area had an abundance of game and fish for hunting and gathering, and was also rich with coal, limestone, iron ore and sandstone. The forests were plentiful and used to build boats, barges, wagons and homes. This enabled all of the settlements in the area to grow, and by the mid 1760s, roads had been cut through the area from present-day Harrison City through Wall, PA, Trafford, Turtle Creek and all the way to Pittsburgh.

Around the time of the American Revolution, Wall was known as Pleasant Valley. It was originally part of Westmoreland County. In 1788, Allegheny County was formed out of Westmoreland, and the area was included in Allegheny County. The Wall family settled in the area in the late 1700s, and around 1810, brothers James and Michael Wall purchased around 850 acres stretching from present day Wilmerding to Trafford and Pitcairn. A railroad was in the planning stages through the area when both brothers died. Their children inherited the area, and by the time the railroad came through Turtle Creek, the property had been split between John, Henry and Francis Wall. There was a rail station built on the Wall property… Walls Station. It was in 1851 that the first train from the Pennsylvania Railroad made the trip from Pittsburgh to Turtle Creek. The Wall Station and Mosside Stations were opened around this time as well.

Wall is located at the site of a farm purchased by James Walls in 1829. The property, on the south bank of Turtle Creek, was passed to James' sons Henry and John Walls, who lived in a log cabin near the heart of present-day Wall. A station on the Pennsylvania Railroad opened in the early 1840s, which was named "Walls' Station" in honor of the Walls family. Eventually, the name of the station and the town that grew up around it was shortened to "Wall Station". Henry and John Walls sold their property to their cousin Frank Wall, an engineer on riverboats who developed the property around the station. Wall got its name after this Frank Wall, whose said property development led to him being the owner of the first two houses erected in the region.

The railroad sparked a period of growth in the area, and in the late 1800s the need for homes in what was known as the Spring Hill section of the area prompted planning for homes and streets. With this came schools and development. A saw mill, damn and resevoir provided work and water. Among the first homeowners were the Walls, Hugos, Grahams, Ramseys and Mellons. Many of these homes still remain, the oldest being the Watt house on the southwest corner of Coal Street & Wall Avenue. In 1915 the railroad constructed the Spring Hill Bridge of iron and concrete, and it is still in use today. As growth continued, Spring Hill was referred to as "Old Wall". The origin of today’s Wall, PA or Wall Borough.

The town around Wall Station was incorporated in 1904 as Wall Borough. The borough grew rapidly during the first half of the twentieth century because a freight depot of the Pennsylvania Railroad was located at Wall. The population and economic vitality of the borough declined during the second half of the twentieth century as the railroad industry was eclipsed by the airline and trucking industries.

In the early 1900s the population of about 4,000 residents was mostly railroaders and boarders. The roads were basically mud, sewers were non-existent and fires were common. However, as the railroad grew, things gradually began to progress. The main road was eventually paved with brick, water lines were installed and cement sidewalks were laid. Once utility lines were installed for heat and electricity, Wall became more of a town with shops, hotels, grocers and other stores lining the streets.

The 1920s saw expansion in Wall PA create the need for a more modern roadway connecting Wall to Route 30, and in 1930 the Mosside Bridge was completed along with a 2 lane concrete road. This made travel to and from the railroad and Trafford much safer and easier. The 1950s saw more modernization of the roads in Wall, but the post office was combined with the Wilmerding Post Office. Throughout the 1960s, 70s, and 80s, Wall saw the boom and bust of the steel industry in Pittsburgh affect it in many ways. The Westinghouse plants are now gone, and the borough is about a quarter of it’s size in population as it was at it’s peak.

Wall is almost entirely surrounded by North Versailles Township. The only other border is with Wilmerding to the west.

Wall is served by the East Allegheny School District.

Return To Cities-Boroughs-Townships